08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

newb T/C question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newb T/C question

ok so I work at chevy , and today I drove the SS t/c for the first time , my manager told me have fun, even told me to break the tires loose a couple times just dont break it ... so I went outside more excited than a 5 year old on christmas morning only to find out , I CANT DRIVE THIS THING FOR ****! is is no lift shift all the time? I was getting terrible jerking and I know how to drive my 2.2 but the clutch in the T/c was REALLY harsh , it was like there was a very hard to shift just right ....... are they all like this? is it the no lift shift? why is this thing so hard to drive than my 2.2 5 speed?

after about 15 min I did get the hang of it enough to have some fun and hear the turbo make the most erotic noise ive heard in about 2 weeks(sadly).
Old 11-11-2008, 03:16 PM

you fail at life. HAHA
Old 11-11-2008, 03:20 PM

You are a failure who probably ruined the car of a prospective buyer.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The clutch isn't broken in and you arn't used to driving it, 2 main reasons you had problems with it.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by krispy
The clutch isn't broken in and you arn't used to driving it, 2 main reasons you had problems with it.
How many miles before a clutch is considered to be broken in?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Acey
You are a failure who probably ruined the car of a prospective buyer.
never said I hurt it , wow your arrogant and ignorant , what a ******* , anywhoo , both of you can **** off , I could care less about what you think , im 18 yeah I couldnt drive the ************ good so what? oh yeah now that makes you so much cooler and "better at life "since I apparently fail. I am new to stick so **** off , i never claimed to be guru ******* pro shiftin ****. I swear its almost like im on hondacivic.net

anyways thanks for anyone who actually gave worthy feedback instead of being one of those posters who like to reveal how ignorant they really are by posting something that is anything but useful.

do me a favor , take your shifter...

and sit on it
Old 11-11-2008, 03:55 PM

ask for advise, get it and flip out, sounds familiar
Old 11-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by fballman1987
you fail isint advice .

and I didnt really flip out , You get burned alot harder than that if I flip.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fballman1987
No....he admitted he can't drive a stick, asked what he did wrong and what should look for, and got "flamed". Not a good representation of CSS.net.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Red07SSNA
No....he admitted he can't drive a stick, asked what he did wrong and what should look for, and got "flamed". Not a good representation of CSS.net.
well I can drive a stick , just not this one , I guess im only used to no F/I maybe the clutch is also diff.... thats really what I was expecting to hear .... I figured it had a performance clutch but I didnt know , since I sell these I kinda wanted to know why it was so much different than my stick 2.2 ..... I can drive mine fine.... just not this.... thank you for actually being sane and curteous because your right , i allways use this site to learn.... if I couldnt do that I wouldnt be here so why represent the site like a moron? thank you RED07
Old 11-11-2008, 04:06 PM

I know in my car if you shift around 4k and have it in gear and clutch out no later than 3k the car tends to run really smooth.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by no_mo_tires
well I can drive a stick , just not this one , I guess im only used to no F/I maybe the clutch is also diff.... thats really what I was expecting to hear .... I figured it had a performance clutch but I didnt know , since I sell these I kinda wanted to know why it was so much different than my stick 2.2 ..... I can drive mine fine.... just not this.... thank you for actually being sane and curteous because your right , i allways use this site to learn.... if I couldnt do that I wouldnt be here so why represent the site like a moron? thank you RED07
if you understand what is happening everytime you press that clutch pedal, it makes it a bit easier to drive in my mind, regardless of the kind of clutch. it's about practice and experiance. you start to forget that the clutch is even there.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:10 PM

You can only use the no lift shift after you press the traction control button twice and it flashes COMPETITION MODE.

That's why you "fail" and potentially hurt the car.......potentially.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 PM

no you cant drive stick the clutch is a little different then a regular cobalt, its not a ******* drag racing clutch, maybe you think you can but this car proved you cant. stick is the same concept, foot down, shift, foot up. not that hard. and they are right by you doing the shitty driving you have potential ruined a brand new car. doesnt matter if i got burned, i still know how to drive stick. kthxbai.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by no_mo_tires
ok so I work at chevy , and today I drove the SS t/c for the first time , my manager told me have fun, even told me to break the tires loose a couple times just dont break it ... so I went outside more excited than a 5 year old on christmas morning only to find out , I CANT DRIVE THIS THING FOR ****! is is no lift shift all the time? I was getting terrible jerking and I know how to drive my 2.2 but the clutch in the T/c was REALLY harsh , it was like there was a very hard to shift just right ....... are they all like this? is it the no lift shift? why is this thing so hard to drive than my 2.2 5 speed?

after about 15 min I did get the hang of it enough to have some fun and hear the turbo make the most erotic noise ive heard in about 2 weeks(sadly).
Well for 1 i am sry that all these bitter ******** who had to work today decided to take their frusteration out on you, that's not fair to you at all. Now, the ss/tc requires about 500miles to ensure the brakes, the clutch, and a few other components get broken in carefully and can work to their 100% potential when your used to the clutch and wanna do a little hard driving. As it was said above(so very rudely) u need to have "Comp Mode" turned on in order to do the no-lift-shifting, as well u MUST take the RPM's ALL THE WAY to redline and keep your foot on the gas while shifting.........IMO, dood, leave that one till next year lol took me a good 4 weeks to fully get it down and i've been driving stick for over 5 years. Also, it's not a good idea to rev the engine past 4000RPM during the first 500miles, just to ensure the engine and any other parts it's connected to(everything) get broken in nicely to ensure a long life of each individual part. Well, i'd say that covers most of it, feel free to PM me with any questions man.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by -SS-
You can only use the no lift shift after you press the traction control button twice and it flashes COMPETITION MODE.

That's why you "fail" and potentially hurt the car.......potentially.

INCORRECT, It has been stated in many threads that it DOES NOT have to be in competition mode.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by TrevMo
How many miles before a clutch is considered to be broken in?
should take it easy 1st 1000km's or 600miles with the car .... what i hear is that its a good idea to change oil at 1st 1000km and than regular after that....
Old 11-11-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by DNewman
INCORRECT, It has been stated in many threads that it DOES NOT have to be in competition mode.
ummmm ok then, hope your have a pleasant ride home at 4pm on the freeway when your tranny or clutch goes FAIL, the only reason u can noliftshift is because the ECU retards the timing while u bounce off the revlimitor.........it doesn't do that if your not in comp mode..........so yea your fuking your car up by doing this
Old 11-11-2008, 04:29 PM

It has been stated by people who do not know what they are talking about...

You can do the "no lift shift" without it, but you aren't taking advantage of the feature that is on the car...you are providing more strain on the car than you would by truly doing a no lift shift with comp. mode on...

DON'T NO LIFT SHIFT WITHOUT BEING IN COMP MODE!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by stage2
should take it easy 1st 1000km's or 600miles with the car .... what i hear is that its a good idea to change oil at 1st 1000km and than regular after that....
i fail to see the point........GM breaks these engines in with mobile 1 FROM THE FACTORY, so changing at 1000km really is a waste of money......btw, that doesn't mean the rest of the car was broken in, DON"T BAG ON IT until u pass 600miles or 1000km

Originally Posted by TrevMo
It has been stated by people who do not know what they are talking about...

You can do the "no lift shift" without it, but you aren't taking advantage of the feature that is on the car...you are providing more strain on the car than you would by truly doing a no lift shift with comp. mode on...

DON'T NO LIFT SHIFT WITHOUT BEING IN COMP MODE!
gawd thank you for some support on this one, we gotta get this into ppl's heads that noliftshift otuside of comp mode=fail(tranny or clutch, maybe engine too)

Last edited by 1WhiteSSTC; 11-11-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-11-2008, 04:37 PM

Refer to the following threads for where I am getting my info:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...on+mode&page=2
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...mpetition+mode

And for the record I have used the No Lift Shift feature 3 times all were while I was in Comp mode. If you are correct on the ECU timing while in Comp Mode then I can see where you are coming from and will continue to only No Lift Shift while in Comp Mode.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:38 PM

And for the record I have used the No Lift Shift feature 3 times all were while I was in Comp mode. If you are correct on the ECU timing while in Comp Mode then I can see where you are coming from and will continue to only No Lift Shift while in Comp Mode.
Hey...I don't doubt that you read it...just don't believe it...

People need to learn that about 75% of stuff on this site is not true...
Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I found the TC easier to drive than my SC. The clutch is wicked light on it and it has loads of lowend torque..
Old 11-11-2008, 04:42 PM

I don't believe you.... lol
Old 11-11-2008, 04:45 PM

here's where the problem comes in, your out driving and u take the car to redline and hold it there for a few seconds...........how is that going to be GOOD for the car??? IMO that's gunna break something REAL FAST, now, GM on the ss/tc, programed something to retard the timing and not allow u to rev the **** outta the car and all it's parts at redline with all the power there ect, it cuts fuel as part of the retarding timing to prevent u from blowing the car up.............pass it on, DO NOT noliftshift outside comp mode.

Originally Posted by chris88z24
I found the TC easier to drive than my SC. The clutch is wicked light on it and it has loads of lowend torque..
i haven't driven my friends ss/sc yet but he agree'd with u that the ss/tc feels better to drive, clutchwise esspecially.(i let him drive mine)

Last edited by 1WhiteSSTC; 11-11-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: newb T/C question