08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

No Real Proof Of Lnf

Old 10-25-2007, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Real Proof Of Lnf

when you first log on to cobaltss.net at the bottom there is a place to read about the end of the supercharged ss. new emissions regulations being the key factor for scrapping the car. this release of info is a few months after the sae approved test. so what if you found the test results. is the ss car even listed on chevys site for 08? no! i see the HHR SS but no Cobalt SS. i,d love to be proved wrong, because i want to see a LNF car as well.

i looked at emissions information for all upcoming gm 08 models that was provided and the date is august 1. maybe the LNF Cobalt just wasn't removed from the info????????
Old 10-25-2007, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by jrod
when you first log on to cobaltss.net at the bottom there is a place to read about the end of the supercharged ss. new emissions regulations being the key factor for scrapping the car. this release of info is a few months after the sae approved test. so what if you found the test results. is the ss car even listed on chevys site for 08? no! i see the HHR SS but no Cobalt SS. i,d love to be proved wrong, because i want to see a LNF car as well.

i looked at emissions information for all upcoming gm 08 models that was provided and the date is august 1. maybe the LNF Cobalt just wasn't removed from the info????????
that because their is no cobalt ss anymore(for 2008 at least)...the 2.4L becomes a sport model and the sc is scraped so you're not gonna see anything on gm's site about an LNF cobalt. However the HHR has already begun advertisment for that model. Maybe there will be an LNF cobalt maybe not, but I don't think its gonna be any time soon.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:27 AM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/more-turbo-lnf-cobalt-proof-emissions-info-gm-com-81636/

Look under Chevrolet Cobalt 2.0 LNF
Old 10-25-2007, 07:33 AM

that was the point of my post. they should rewrite the lnf proof story on the main page to say that gm did at one time consider and test.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well they have only officially released the hhr ss for about a month now...

And this is supposed to be a mid-year car, so that would explain the lack of info on the GM site.

Wait a few more weeks and see what other info pops up
Old 10-25-2007, 07:51 AM

the new emissions regulations for 08's smaller class cars for the up coming year is what did kill it. we know that , but do you guys think gm will redesign/retune the LNF just specifically for the ss after saying the company deemed it not worth the cost/time. lets wait...
Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 AM

the new emissions regulations for 08's smaller class cars for the up coming year is what did kill it. we know that , but do you guys think gm will redesign/retune the LNF just specifically for the ss after saying the company deemed it not worth the cost/time. lets wait...
The HHR is on the Cobalt chassis, same class car and the LNF-powered SS passes emissions with flying colors. No reason it can't go in the Cobalt as well.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:54 AM

why did gm release info saying just that? this isn't spam because i question something that is headline news on this beloved forum. lets wait... open to more retort from impatient kids that are "possibly" in denile!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

I didnt say this thread was spam, i said going into other threads that are asking about the LNF in general and spouting off that it may not be in the cobalt was spam
Old 10-25-2007, 09:00 AM

also the ss/sc died because eaton's supercharger contract was expired
Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 AM

why did gm release info saying just that? this isn't spam because i question something that is headline news on this beloved forum. lets wait... open to more retort from impatient kids that are "possibly" in denile!
Saying what?

You mentioned two things:

1) Emissions killed off the SS - which is true ONLY for the supercharged version. A turbo is more emissions friendly and it's not uncommon to see cars make the switch for that very reason. Closest example is the Mini Cooper S. They were supercharged through 2006, in 2007 they switched to turbo in anticipation of meeting the new emissions guidelines.

2) You talk about them saying that putting the LNF into the Cobalt would not be worth the time and effort. Well the HHR SS blew that argument right out the window. They took the LNF, converted it to FWD, put it in the EXACT SAME chassis that's on the Cobalt. It would be very much worth their time and effort now that they have the same engine sitting on the same chassis to release it in both the HHR SS and the Cobalt SS.

So I don't think either of those points are valid enough reasons to say that it couldn't happen. Honestly, if they took the R&D money and time to convert it for the HHR, they'd be incredibly stupid to not make the most out of it and toss it in the Cobalt as well. They'd retain their footing in the tuner circle with not one but two entries.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by alleycat58
So I don't think either of those points are valid enough reasons to say that it couldn't happen. Honestly, if they took the R&D money and time to convert it for the HHR, they'd be incredibly stupid to not make the most out of it and toss it in the Cobalt as well. They'd retain their footing in the tuner circle with not one but two entries.
+rep.... well you know what i mean, good points
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM

sorry to spout off in your thread sir. your threads will "reighn" supreme. you guys are toootaly right. i'm sure its all 100% going to happen. ohhh ppppplease don't ban me. i hate
to not have web friends with awsome 16 year old masterbatn lord of the rings style names like "dragooon slayer". to everyone else that wasted there time reading this SORRY
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Banned

sorry to spout off in your thread sir. your threads will "reighn" supreme. you guys are toootaly right. i'm sure its all 100% going to happen. ohhh ppppplease don't ban me. i hate
to not have web friends with awsome 16 year old masterbatn lord of the rings style names like "dragooon slayer". to everyone else that wasted there time reading this SORRY

if it didn't bother you, you wouldn't have brought it up. it's ok, you'll find some friends one day!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:32 AM

LMAO the fact the LOTR is the first thing that comes to your mind amuses me. Says more about you than it does about me, since 90% of the people here know what it REALLY refers to.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
GM is making an announcement on Oct. 29th just prior to SEMA, which they say will "make the tuner crowd very happy"
I expect the official announcement is only 4 days away.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
GM is making an announcement on Oct. 29th just prior to SEMA, which they say will "make the tuner crowd very happy"
I expect the official announcement is only 4 days away.
Yeah, was going to mention that but you know, then someone will jump in and say it's not official or it's just a show car or so what it's slow or you know, the usual troll fodder.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 AM

Saying what?

You mentioned two things:

1) Emissions killed off the SS - which is true ONLY for the supercharged version. A turbo is more emissions friendly and it's not uncommon to see cars make the switch for that very reason. Closest example is the Mini Cooper S. They were supercharged through 2006, in 2007 they switched to turbo in anticipation of meeting the new emissions guidelines.

2) You talk about them saying that putting the LNF into the Cobalt would not be worth the time and effort. Well the HHR SS blew that argument right out the window. They took the LNF, converted it to FWD, put it in the EXACT SAME chassis that's on the Cobalt. It would be very much worth their time and effort now that they have the same engine sitting on the same chassis to release it in both the HHR SS and the Cobalt SS.

[off-topic] Why is it that I'm so aroused when a woman is so knowledgeable about cars, and can debate logically and rationally? [/off-topic] Gear head chicks rock.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 AM

LMAO the fact the LOTR is the first thing that comes to your mind amuses me. Says more about you than it does about me, since 90% of the people here know what it REALLY refers to.
i dont
Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by tim.t
[off-topic] Why is it that I'm so aroused when a woman is so knowledgeable about cars, and can debate logically and rationally? [/off-topic] Gear head chicks rock.
Thanks. Um, imaginary rep?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:03 AM

PM received :

Last edited by redlineblueline; 10-25-2007 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
if it didn't bother you, you wouldn't have brought it up. it's ok, you'll find some friends one day!
+1 rep ...lol if I could give it
Old 10-25-2007, 02:19 PM

not really on topic but

HHR SS = Caliber SRT-4

I never put it together before...
Old 10-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

ohh thats cute, i like how you twisted my name to make a point ... only problem is IT WASNT MY THREAD!
Old 10-25-2007, 06:18 PM

I guess now is as good a time as any.... a month or so ago I talked to the engineer who was incharge of the ECU design for the LSJ and LNF engines (and others). (About 5 years ago he used to work for the company I currently work for.)
Anyways, out of curiosity I asked him what would replace the LSJ in the Cobalt... he plainly said "The Turbo 2.0L that powers the Solstice GXP."

I couldn't have cared at the time, being that I like my SC, and already had the car.... just thought it was relevant now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Real Proof Of Lnf