08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brake Caliper Piston

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried it with pliers as my buddy tried to push in the piston an it would go in so far an stop. Still need another 1/2 to fit over the pads.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by manonahole
Tried it with pliers as my buddy tried to push in the piston an it would go in so far an stop. Still need another 1/2 to fit over the pads.
You don't need to push - just turn it clockwise like a screw. If it still doesn't fit first make sure your e-brake isn't on. Then make sure you have the proper pads.
I have a spare caliper from my 07 LSJ if you need one. Not sure what car you have.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know about the not needing to push part. The first couple of times I swapped pads, I used a brake cube with a socket wrench and was sore for days from having to push it in. After that I got the piston compressor tool at an auto parts store and it's never been easier. Hell, just rent it if you don't want to spend the $30 or whatever it is.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Gotta push, the rear calipers seem to like to stick

There is actually a rebuild kit through A/C Delco that has new seals and such if you feel like disassembling and polishing the cylinder.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krispy
Gotta push, the rear calipers seem to like to stick

There is actually a rebuild kit through A/C Delco that has new seals and such if you feel like disassembling and polishing the cylinder.
Can you provide any additional info on the rebuilt kit?
Having an issue with my rear calipers.
Want them working smoothly again...
Old 10-18-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by double clutch
I just take the cap off the master cylinder
Me too. Have done it this way for decades. The key is compress / screw in the piston SLOOWWLLLYY

Originally Posted by SECRETARIAT
What's the danger doing it with the system closed , bleeder not open ? Damage to master cylinder or something else ??
No danger.

Originally Posted by chris88z24
You can supposedly ruin the seals in the master cylinder. I'll admit I've done it without opening the bleeders but most experienced techs I've asked have said to open the bleeder. Don't open the master cylinder cap unless you want to contaminate the fluid.
I've always left the bleeders alone. I think guys chose to open the bleeders because it does generally make the piston compress easier.

Originally Posted by manonahole
Hey I'm having trouble getting the piston back in the caliper, I cracked the bleeder an still it doesnt seem to be going in. Any help is appreciated!
If they're the screw in type and you're trying to do it without the right tools then that's your problem. Yes it can be done with the wrong tools but it's much harder. Harbor freight sells a caliper service kit for pretty cheap or you can buy the really cheap square caliper tool that most auto parts store stock.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Take it from experience, 9 times out of ten forcing the old fluid back up into the system wont do anything, but that 1 time can cost you a lot. your shoving worn fluid back into your abs system. Seen many times at work ppl don't crack the bleeder and end up having to replace the bpmv bc the old fluid is gummed up an ruins the solenoid valves. You can clamp the rubber line off if you want if the hose is in good shape and use a good clamp (plastic clamp made for it, vice grips can tear the line). other wise personally I apply pressure to the master cyl with the pressure bleeder I have at work, crack the bleeder and then shove the piston back. Refill with fresh
fluid. Brake fluid only is good for about 2-3years or 30-50k miles. Drained the fluid in my
00' cavi, it was green and jelly like lol.