08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Running rough in the rain?..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure its a MAF problem. Mine is doing the same and I've also had MAF problems once already. I don't even think its a Cai problem specifically.
I'm gonna take my drop in k&n out soon and see how it behaves then.
I'll let you know.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JetBlackSS
Subd. I'm not tc but my car car seems to serge alot in the rain. I kinda think it is water seeping under my headlight because of how crappy the figment is and filter getting wet. It threw a code once but went away when I turned car off and restarted.

Sorry dude, but it's not part of your imagination.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!!! I have a 08 as well be have never experienced this problem. I've actually enjoyed my drives in the rain. I agree that the stock tires can be pretty sketchy in the rain (and also in dry sometimes) but nothing as scary as testing the brakes.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Well....
I went out and put a stock filter in which I plan on leaving even though it likely had nothing to do with THIS issue.

Once before I had a broken wire at the MAF harness and once again I had another.
The yellow wire on the end (closest the windshield) was exposed where it meets the harness. Several strands were broken completely. I soldered it, put something in to space the wires a bit, and heatshrinked that bitch. Hopefully that's the last of it.
But it DID seem to run worse in the rain.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:00 AM

My car does the same thing. I took it to the dealer twice. The first time they put fuel injector cleaner in it (lol) and the second time they changed the cam angle sensor. It hasn't acted up since they changed the sensor, but it was really random so it might do it again. The second time it did it, I pulled out of the parking lot at work and went WOT and it sounded like antilag on a rally car when I hit 3k rpm. Constant backfire until I let off. I could never get it to a dealer while it was still acting up though. That's why I think it was a sensor or connector getting wet, because it eventually dries and runs normal. The car still feels low on power to me, even when its dry out.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Def not a traction issue. I now have new tires and have been trying to pin-point when the car acts up. It has actually randomly started doing it, even when its not raining or wet out, but it is more likely. I was thinking that it could be where the wires were spliced in from the stage kit, but not sure. The car is goin in to dealer next week, so hopefully they can figure it out. This car throws coeds like nothing I've ever owned before. SES light has been on for like 2 weeks now, for the 3453546567th time. Also having the gear grinding problem that alot of people are having. So hopin to get that fixed (but thats another story, in itself).
Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ah665
Def not a traction issue. I now have new tires and have been trying to pin-point when the car acts up. It has actually randomly started doing it, even when its not raining or wet out, but it is more likely. I was thinking that it could be where the wires were spliced in from the stage kit, but not sure. The car is goin in to dealer next week, so hopefully they can figure it out. This car throws coeds like nothing I've ever owned before. SES light has been on for like 2 weeks now, for the 3453546567th time. Also having the gear grinding problem that alot of people are having. So hopin to get that fixed (but thats another story, in itself).
I hear ya. I'm at 53k miles on my 08 SS/TC. It's had more problems in it's first 53K miles than my last two cars combined. '95 Grand Am SE (155K miles when sold) and 03 Acura RSX-S (73K miles when sold). That's not an exaggeration - that's the truth. Sad.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 PM

Bad Tires?

Originally Posted by Peezyer P
Wow!!! I have a 08 as well be have never experienced this problem. I've actually enjoyed my drives in the rain. I agree that the stock tires can be pretty sketchy in the rain (and also in dry sometimes) but nothing as scary as testing the brakes.
I've liked the tires quite a bit, not a lot of rain driving yet though. But C&D says they are especially good in the wet:
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...y_f1_gs_ds.pdf

Its from 2005, but the tire did well in the test. Also, they must do something right to give the SS/TC those great lap times we've read about.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:26 PM

i have the same problem with the same mods.. GMS1 and drop in K&N. tires are not the problem. i'm in Florida so high humidity might have something to do with it.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:45 PM

The traction and stability controls in these cars is overly sensitive. Rain, particularly heavy rain or standing water, will kill horsepower quicker than the igition switch. You should try driving in a Florida downpour with the 245's on my car. I damn near have to just pull it over and wait for it to let up. Not REALLY! Just chalk it up to "the nature of the beast".
Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 AM

I know EXACTLY what the OP is talking about. Tonight on my way home from work. It's a cool, dry night here. Not even humid. I set the cruise for EXACTLY 75mph which is right about 2,750 rpms. Every once in a while for no particular reason I could tell it just kind of pulsed. As if the accelerator was being gently pushed and released.
It seems to only do it at that very specific rpm.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by JetBlackSS
Subd. I'm not tc but my car car seems to serge alot in the rain. I kinda think it is water seeping under my headlight because of how crappy the figment is and filter getting wet. It threw a code once but went away when I turned car off and restarted.
mine completly died one time then when i started it it had very jump idles and it had a lot of black smoke from exhaust then next day it was good so idk.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:22 PM

anyone thats having any problems like this and has GMS1 and isnt completely stock, im gunna vote that its the shitty tune.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:53 PM

The calibration doesn't seem to have any drivability issues that I've run across and that has been with all types of driving from sea level to mountain elevation, cold, wet, to hot desert heat. For those with the GMPP upgrade I'd be curious to see how many of the dealers tried to use the included crimp connectors for the sensors vice the proper procedure to solder the new jumper harness in. This is especially important when dealing with sensors that only have a small amount of current flow and the computer is monitoring for very small changes in voltage.

The TMAF could be another area of drivability problems for those with aftermarket intakes. If there were any air leaks, the intake tube diameter or flow characteristics were different than stock, turbulence, etc. it could potentially cause air metering problems. The stock box and filter is pretty small but that's one of the reasons I've been careful about not upgrading yet beyond a drop-in filter.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 PM

bumpage

Anyone get any closer to figuring this out?

Mine is doing it all the time now pretty much. Between 2,000 and 3,000 rpms. Usually closer to 3k. Seems like it might be throttle position sensitive... ??

What it's doing - cruising or light acceleration in that rpm range and the car will "hiccup". I hear the bov open.
Mine is bypassed completely. ie. Directly connected to the manifold. No solenoid. So the car is missing, or the fuel is getting screwed up, or the throttle plate is closing. Creating a vacuum and stumble.
No codes yet which is irritating. I wish it would just throw one so I can know what the hell is going on. Very frustrating.

Oh yeah, I have the airbox mod, AEM elbow, ZZP catted DP, and BSR tune. All of that has been on LOOOOOOOOOOOONG before any of this started.

I've cleaned the MAF, switched out the K&N drop in to an OEM filter. Made sure hoses are secure... ugh..

Edit - I'm trying to reflash the ECU with the tune again. The MAF pigtail was bad and replaced. During that episode I reflashed the ECU hoping for a fix. Now I'm going to try that again since it may have learned with a bad signal. I doubt it works but eh... gotta try.

Last edited by Zander916; 07-31-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Zander916
I know EXACTLY what the OP is talking about. Tonight on my way home from work. It's a cool, dry night here. Not even humid. I set the cruise for EXACTLY 75mph which is right about 2,750 rpms. Every once in a while for no particular reason I could tell it just kind of pulsed. As if the accelerator was being gently pushed and released.
It seems to only do it at that very specific rpm.
mine does something simmilar, but its 45mph in 4th gear i think. its right around 2000 rpm. It will randomly jerk even when I'm holding the throttle steady.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:51 PM

I think it's GOT to be the MAF. I've cleaned mine several times with MAF cleaner (without removing it 'cause I'm just SUPER lazy like that). It seems to have gotten a LITTLE better each time I did.
Today I just removed it completely and hosed that little sucker down GOOOOOD.
I have yet to drive it though to see what THAT did. As of now my symptoms are almost gone though.

My problems STARTED when I took a trip from Iowa to Indiana. I stayed in Indiana for a week in Bloomington and it rained EVERY DAY for a week. No joke... maybe one day it didn't out of 9. I HAD the K&N drop in at that time. My theory is that even if water that we can't see is getting into the intake I think enough of it does in water droplets. Particularly if you run on the highway and more fine mist is present.
I theorize the water dampens the filter, the oil naturally wants to go to the surface of the water where I think the air velocity can carry a bit of it off and it lands on the MAF.

Here's a pic of my MAF upon removal. Keep in mind this is AFTER I've hosed it down several times while installed, but BEFORE I hosed it down while removed. I've used a normal "paper" filter for about a week now while cleaning the MAF. Hopefully it's GONE now. I'll let you know.

EDIT: Just drove it a bit. Still doing it but far far less. Hardly at all. But it is just barely. I still think it's related to the MAF being a difference was made by cleaning it. Sigh.... wish I could get rid of it for good.

EDIT NUMBER 2: Still doing it. I DID discover that it is NOT RPM specific but boost specific. It happens ONLY at 5 InHg. SOOOOOOOOOO annoying. I can hear the BPV opening every time it does it. So maybe not MAF but MAP or something. I'm officially stumped unless it throws a code.

Last edited by Zander916; 08-03-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 AM

Hmm. ya, I'm still getting it also. My dealer wont take the car in until the 10th so we'll see. Like I said, I am throwing a code but who the hell knows if its even related to this problem, at this point. Half the car's life has been spent with the CEL on, I swear (usually reading 'misfire on cylinder x.' )
Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 AM

Anyone..... could a tear in the bpv diaphragm cause this? Just curious.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 AM

Hmm. ya, I'm still getting it also. My dealer wont take the car in until the 10th so we'll see. Like I said, I am throwing a code but who the hell knows if its even related to this problem, at this point. Half the car's life has been spent with the CEL on, I swear (usually reading 'misfire on cylinder x.' )
Any word back from the dealer?

I'm very curious about what they find.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:08 PM

I have the same problem!! i got it to the dealer and they found nothing, then i goes crazy started so scream in the garage and they called GM , GM sent a Ingeneer and he found nothing!!

i did some basic verification with HPtuner and the TBS doesnt change when it hapen same for the MAF !! Im starting to wonder if its not the PCM !!!
(i have a cobalt 08 TC STOCK!! no stage1 or modified intake!!)

(srry for the bad english!!)
Old 08-22-2010, 02:19 AM

Bump to see if anyone has gotten anywhere with this problem.

Mine is getting worse - only happens at 8-4 InHg - driven THOUSANDS of miles and no code thrown for troubleshooting.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:45 AM

I did a search and couldn't really find a good answer to this. But recently, my 08TC runs kinda rough in the rain. it hesitates then kinda surges back to normal. nmost of my driving on my commute is highway and itll just feel like its stuck and doesnt wanna rev out. its weird. i assume either its something with the plugs or somehow a sensor is getting wet. i dont know how water could be getting through the intake tho.

btw all stock, GMS1 and K&N drop-in
I'm thinking GM1 has reared it's ugly head here. You say only in the wet? I'm thinking the lower MAP sensor, which may not be on just right (Flush) *could* be getting wet allowing moisture to seep in? I assume the top sensor/spliced wires stay dry.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:46 PM

My car is comepletely stock and I have had this problem since new. Only when it's been driven in heavy rain, so of course the dealer can't duplicate it.

It's not a traction or GMS1 issue.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Drove in heavy rain today. Yup, still does it. Weird.

Quick Reply: Running rough in the rain?..