08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

shift linkage broke 3 times in a row....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shift linkage broke 3 times in a row....

today my shift linkage for 2nd 4th and reverse has broken for the third time in a month.

the first time i just figured was a bad part, it was replaced under warranty.

the second time was at the track after i just drove all the way to lebanon. didnt even get one run in, it broke going into second gear.

the third time was pulling out quickly in traffic and shifting into 2nd.

this is ******* rediculous. Today before it broke for the third time, i even adjusted the linkage per instructions from a gm tech. It felt much better going into 2nd under normal driving conditions, but shifting under WOT or a NLS it just busted again.

I think the car is a lemon. the brakes have already been replaced and they are gouging the rotors again. the car only has 10k miles on it.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:36 PM

my shift cable broke replaced under warranty at 14000 ish miles, brakes still squeak intermittently
Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no reason you should be breaking shift linkages like that.

Check your motor mounts. A bad motor/trans mount will tear up a shift linkage very quickly.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 AM

Yeah I believe for the Lemon law it has to be into the dealer 4 times, so you can pray it goes in again, because thats new car lol
Old 05-17-2010, 08:52 AM

Make the dealership give you brand new shift linkages... Like from the transmission, and don't NLS anymore, and you should be ok. If they give you everything brand new and put it in, then you should be fine. Just try not to break it again. RYRO14 LOVES to break his linkages too.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:20 PM

I know what you mean i have broke 4 of them my self... My dad owns a shop so after the 3rd time i broke it i just bought them my self, I think i have fixed our problem everyone says its a motor mount deal. My self have the motor mounts and still broke one but i have it fixed now and still going strong..

I did somthing to the ends of the cables as well as somthing to the shifter...
Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah mine has broke 3 times.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:41 PM

i think its because your forcing that **** into 2nd gear during WOT
thats how it happnd to me the first and only time (so far ) lol
been driving 10k miles since new linkage everything good.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by C.F.G.S08
I know what you mean i have broke 4 of them my self... My dad owns a shop so after the 3rd time i broke it i just bought them my self, I think i have fixed our problem everyone says its a motor mount deal. My self have the motor mounts and still broke one but i have it fixed now and still going strong..

I did somthing to the ends of the cables as well as somthing to the shifter...
Maybe you should share what exactly you did to fix the problem with the rest of the community instead of a broad generalization?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Maybe you should share what exactly you did to fix the problem with the rest of the community instead of a broad generalization?
Well what I did was bought an extra on off of ebay and drilled right through the linkage and ball at the bottom of the shifter. I then put a bolt through it so it CANT pop off and it has worked ever since, knock on wood!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Do yourself a favor and SHIFT the transmission... DO NOT hammer fist the ****** into gear.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:16 AM

i AM shifting the transmission...i have a 6 speed ls1 camaro and have never had a problem as far as shifting goes.

it's not my fault gm used cheap chinese plastic on their shift linkages. if they are going to advertise things like no lift shifting and launch control, they sure as hell better back it up with the proper hardware.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 AM

LOL well i never pop the detente cable off the shifter its self... i always brake the plastic clip together shift cable on the pull side aka 2,4,R... Number one make your self a stop into second so it will stop over extending the cable, And i cant really enplane what i did to the cable its self it would be a really long. PM me if you want to know... But the biggest thing i did it make a stop in the shifter housing its self simple. It has never felt so safe and there when you N.L.S the car...
Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 AM

Did you NLS this time when it broke?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:30 AM

or gm can fix the problem.

Originally Posted by SLoW LT1
Did you NLS this time when it broke?
yes, all times it broke i was NLSing

Last edited by Poppn; 05-18-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-18-2010, 03:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Where is it breaking? Are you talking about at the shifter, or at the tranny? It sounds like operator error, dude.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 AM

This is the reason I'm hesitant to use the NLS b/c of this.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
wtf are you kids doing? I nls daily and never broke mine. you cant say its a lemon because of the brakes lol. sounds like you may not be shifting quickly enough to nls and are banging it into gear? maybe too hard? idk try the fix someone else posted with a bolt.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I NLS over 200 times in 2 days at the track. Not a single issue.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Have you tried simply adjusting the cables? If the cable that moves the transmission to 2nd, 4th and R is adjusted too far to the front that will shorten the total throw of the shifter and the plastic connector will hit its stop before the shifter mechanism hit's its. Pull the transmission into 4th gear. Release the lock on the plastic clip. BOTH the cable AND the shifter must hit their own stops at the same time. In BOTH directions. 4th AND 3rd. I had similar problems, although I wasn't strong enough to break anything, when I installed my TWM shifter. An hour of adjust, connect and try, adjust, connect and try, on and on, and now all you have to do is WISH and it goes into any gear you want. Try it! You might LIKE it.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
Have you tried simply adjusting the cables? If the cable that moves the transmission to 2nd, 4th and R is adjusted too far to the front that will shorten the total throw of the shifter and the plastic connector will hit its stop before the shifter mechanism hit's its. Pull the transmission into 4th gear. Release the lock on the plastic clip. BOTH the cable AND the shifter must hit their own stops at the same time. In BOTH directions. 4th AND 3rd. I had similar problems, although I wasn't strong enough to break anything, when I installed my TWM shifter. An hour of adjust, connect and try, adjust, connect and try, on and on, and now all you have to do is WISH and it goes into any gear you want. Try it! You might LIKE it.
i tried adjusting it. it felt great with part throttle driving. and then the first time i tried a nls 1-2, it busted.

it's on the tranny side. there is a plastic cup that holds a spring, and the cap the covers the cup is also plastic.

the cup and the cap crack under the pressure of the spring when shifting fast. it has nothing to do with my shifting...like i said ive got an ls1 camaro and never had ANY problems shifting that.

also...there was someone that posted a pic of their shift cables and i noticed the plastic clips under the shifter dont look anything alike. are there 2 different shift cables out there? maybe they are replacing mine with an old outdated version...
Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppn
i tried adjusting it. it felt great with part throttle driving. and then the first time i tried a nls 1-2, it busted.

it's on the tranny side. there is a plastic cup that holds a spring, and the cap the covers the cup is also plastic.

the cup and the cap crack under the pressure of the spring when shifting fast. it has nothing to do with my shifting...like i said ive got an ls1 camaro and never had ANY problems shifting that.

also...there was someone that posted a pic of their shift cables and i noticed the plastic clips under the shifter dont look anything alike. are there 2 different shift cables out there? maybe they are replacing mine with an old outdated version...
The linkage in this car is nothing like the linkage for the LS1. That linkage is inside the transmission. It's driver error.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Like i said i had GM do it 2 times then i did it 1 once all the plastic bull shiz for a shifter cable My dad and i are working on a kit to fix the problem if you have a little adrenaline or just shifting fast you will brake it... My mom even broke hers on her car.... LOL... And yeah The LS1 has no shifter cables its alittle hard to mess that one up...
Old 05-22-2010, 03:19 AM

mine has broke on normal shifting one time. i just broke my 4th one. tomorrow i will be seeing what i can do to fix it where i can bolt some metal on the shifter bracket to help it.

Originally Posted by buellfooll

i did this too and it still didnt help it. i will make the bracket where even if it did break it would change a thing.

Last edited by turbo_chevy_cobalt; 05-22-2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-22-2010, 05:01 PM

I just popped my linkage of the ball on the shifter twice at the track today nls from 2nd to 3rd

Quick Reply: shift linkage broke 3 times in a row....