08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Thank you GM

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Canada Thank you GM

CLIFF NOTES: GM service rep called about my car... had lots of warranty work done but all hastle free... still have a slight problem with the car... it's been noted on my file and they will review warranty work/service if my warranty runs out before this problem is rectified in the off chance a problem occurs due to this undiagnosed noise... i'm happy with GM.

i purchased my 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo sedan in August 2009. It has been pretty good to me.. great gas mileage, very quick, and comfortable for an econobox.

I have had some issues with it that were all rectified under my warranty at no cost to me such as a tire pressure sensor, rear pads and rotors and even a new engine. The car still makes a slight rubbing noise when slowing that appears under any circumstances(braking or not, in gear or not) but it disappears when i accelerate. I have had it to the dealership about 4 times for this issue and have been told they aren't sure but they suspected rust on the brakes multiple times. I have had my brakes serviced/replaced and it's still there. they said they aren't sure now what it is and can't tear the car apart looking for it so i should keep an eye on it and if it gets worse return and they will troubleshoot further.

This noise has been present since about 6-7,000km. The noise has gotten a tiny bit louder but not enough to warrant another trip to the dealership. i now have almost 40,000km on it.

I am watching it in case it gets worse. Either way the two dealerships i deal with have been very good to me as far as warranty work goes with no questions asked type service.

I received a call from a woman at GM today that wanted to follow up on my car and how i liked it. i told her that it's been good except for the noise the dealerships can't seem to find. She said she understood that it is a hard thing to diagnose and agreed that i should keep an eye on it. She said i still have plenty of warranty left. I agreed but told her i am worried that the noise could get worse or cause more damage if left and more than likely this could occur when my warranty is up. She noted our entire discussion on my file and the problems i've been having. She said that since it's been a problem from almost day one a warranty repair would be looked into even if the warranty has expired given the circumstances if such a problem occurs.

needless to say i was very happy to hear from them and she was very happy that i took the time to call her back and discuss my car with her. She gave me her name and phone number to call her anytime if i have issues regarding my car either in general or if i have service problems.

People harp on me about owning a "cheap domestic made by GM the failing motor company" but i can't complain... it has a great warranty which negates that fact that it's "unreliable" to alot of people. They've been good to me and the service has been great... i will probably consider buying another in the future.

I hope you all have similiar luck with GM. It seems to be hit and miss like any large company.

Last edited by Cobalt_Daddy; 01-06-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No they need to update the OnStar app to include our cars
Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by alerosaint
No they need to update the OnStar app to include our cars
lol it's not GM's fault that the app was developed for 2011+ vehicles. besides i'm sure they are working on it.. they probably put alot of time and resources into development and most companies don't develop software for outdated things.. that's usually something that comes in an update later. patience my friend :P
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so far it is only available for specific 2011 GM models and only in the United States. It allows you to unlock/lock your vehicle regadless of how far away you are from it. You can also start it, check gas level, tire pressures, etc. etc. Would be a good app to have...but only if you continue your OnStar subscription.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by snoftall
so far it is only available for specific 2011 GM models and only in the United States. It allows you to unlock/lock your vehicle regadless of how far away you are from it. You can also start it, check gas level, tire pressures, etc. etc. Would be a good app to have...but only if you continue your OnStar subscription.
ya and only if someone doesn't get a hold of your phone and finds out where you live to break into your car..

besides being used as diagnostic tool your car already tells you alot of those things .. so why would you want your phone to tell you as well? lol if it's linked to onstar... your phone is going to tell you what your car is telling the phone so it's not really useful to doublecheck something when your car might be lying to you and probably the phone as well.

sounds like a mobile RPD maybe?
Old 01-06-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm glad to read you're happy, and have had a generally positive experience.

I am happy with my Cobalt, but the first instance where I had an issue the selling dealer said it was my problem*, and brushed me off;
I since have it mostly fixed, on my own dime, and my own time.

(* = the sub wasn't properly mounted; some of the mounting hardware was on my spare tire; the mounting studs literally pulled through the sheet metal - probably from over tightening)

After that fiasco, I started going to a different dealer, and haven't had an issue yet;
They replaced a leaky headlight under warranty, and repositioned the drivers door - which eliminated wind noise ect.

This is my first car, so to be nearly a year into ownership and still be thoroughly happy with the car I think speaks for alot.
I've been so pleased with this car, that I still haven't had the stage1 installed!

My only current qualm, is that I wish the paint quality was a bit better... is seems to chip really easy ~ thank goodness yellow hides little white primer/undercoat spots so well!

P.S. I fixed the RPD visibility issue - even though GM is aware of it, they won't do anything about it btw.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM

Good to hear you're having great customer service despite the issues that haven't been diagnosed yet. I currently have 16k miles on it and am continued to be fascinated by it's potential. Upgrading from a '07 SS/NA that I never had a problem with (65k when it was totaled), I am pleased to own the SS/TC now. I bought the SS/TC used with 13k back in August 2010 and haven't looked back since.

What were some of the symptoms that raised the problem with your engine being replaced? I'm guessing it was a porous block?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky

I am happy with my Cobalt, but the first instance where I had an issue the selling dealer said it was my problem*, and brushed me off;

(* = the sub wasn't properly mounted; some of the mounting hardware was on my spare tire; the mounting studs literally pulled through the sheet metal - probably from over tightening)

After that fiasco, I started going to a different dealer, and haven't had an issue yet;
They replaced a leaky headlight under warranty, and repositioned the drivers door - which eliminated wind noise ect.

This is my first car, so to be nearly a year into ownership and still be thoroughly happy with the car I think speaks for alot.
I've been so pleased with this car, that I still haven't had the stage1 installed!

My only current qualm, is that I wish the paint quality was a bit better... is seems to chip really easy ~ thank goodness yellow hides little white primer/undercoat spots so well!

P.S. I fixed the RPD visibility issue - even though GM is aware of it, they won't do anything about it btw.
get GMS1 you'll love it!!! not too much power but enough to make ya smile like the first day you bought it.. also paint chips suck yes... and it sucks worse driving a black car.. lol

Originally Posted by ssweeet
Good to hear you're having great customer service despite the issues that haven't been diagnosed yet. I currently have 16k miles on it and am continued to be fascinated by it's potential. Upgrading from a '07 SS/NA that I never had a problem with (65k when it was totaled), I am pleased to own the SS/TC now. I bought the SS/TC used with 13k back in August 2010 and haven't looked back since.

What were some of the symptoms that raised the problem with your engine being replaced? I'm guessing it was a porous block?

yea it seems to plague some 09's .. didn't have any symptoms except my coolant going down a bit here and there... then one day it started flashing low coolant on me... then it would go away... then flash again... then go away... then finally on a drive home from work one day the car flashed it again .. i threw up the coolant temp indicator and noticed the coolant temps climbing... i kept an eye on it and shut it down at 110C... called gm roadside... while waiting i checked under the hood... no coolant in the resevoir... no dripping or spray marks... checked dipstick... looked a little off... pulled of oil fill cap and it was covered in moisture.. 8 days and a focus rental later i had a new engine from GM.

Last edited by Cobalt_Daddy; 01-06-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by soundjunky

What was your RPD visibility issue? How did you fix it?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
get GMS1 you'll love it!!! not too much power but enough to make ya smile like the first day you bought it.. also paint chips suck yes... and it sucks worse driving a black car.. lol

yea it seems to plague some 09's .. didn't have any symptoms except my coolant going down a bit here and there... then one day it started flashing low coolant on me... then it would go away... then flash again... then go away... then finally on a drive home from work one day the car flashed it again .. i threw up the coolant temp indicator and noticed the coolant temps climbing... i kept an eye on it and shut it down at 110C... called gm roadside... while waiting i checked under the hood... no coolant in the resevoir... no dripping or spray marks... checked dipstick... looked a little off... pulled of oil fill cap and it was covered in moisture.. 8 days and a focus rental later i had a new engine from GM.
I'm hoping this doesn't happen to me because I did notice one time when starting it up that the DIC displayed the "Low Coolant" message. That was about a month ago and I haven't seen it since. The coolant level was fine.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ssweeet
I'm hoping this doesn't happen to me because I did notice one time when starting it up that the DIC displayed the "Low Coolant" message. That was about a month ago and I haven't seen it since. The coolant level was fine.
naw it's pretty rare in 09's i hear... opnly a few had the porous issue... just keep an eye on your coolant if it comes up again... just keep checking it... if it flashes it more than a few times in one day keep an eye on your temp in case it climbs... the car drove good except for the occasional sluggish behaviour... boosted fine and everything. you'll be alright.