08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Why are the 2008-2010 selling for so cheap

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are the 2008-2010 selling for so cheap

Help me out guys. I have a 2008 SS in great condition that I just took back. Was going to sell it again and saw how cheap they are selling for. Will not probably keep the SS and sell other car.

So why are the cars going for so cheap? Great car, great gas mileage, track demon, it is everything a driver would want except for rear wheel drive.

Is there something that has happened that I do not know about? I truly do not understand this.

Asking for honest opinions. The cobalt SS is one of the best overall cars I have had and I simply cannot fathom selling it for as cheap as they are going for.

Looking for feedback.
Thanks
Spank
Old 06-08-2017, 02:11 AM

Time diminished values

My opinion is they're getting to be old cars. 7-9 years old is about the age any car will see dropping values. Sure they are great cars and everything you praise them for may be true but the other truth is that values drop with time. It also has to deal with demand, I think people want the new latest "cobalt ss" whatever it may be out there right now not an 7-9 year old car. Maybe in another 10-12 years we'll see values go up again as interest in these cars increases.
Bought my 08 1/11/17 for $7,500 @98,900 mi
Old 06-08-2017, 02:25 AM

That is simply wrong. I refuse to sell my car with all the suspension and performance mods for those prices. On miller motor sports track my car can crush so many other cars. These cars have so much potential, they are truly under appreciated. I will keep mine and just improve on it. It is truly a shame that such a great car is so devalued. And I do know it is a cobalt but when you think what it can do as a DD and on the track, it will be one of the greats in the years to come.
Best
Spank
Old 06-08-2017, 06:17 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
The people who have owned them know what they can do. Gm did a poor job of letting the world know what they are capable of. I purchased mine in early 12 and when I went to look at it I didn't even know they had put anything other than a 205hp superchanged engine in them till I started researching it. They are great little competent cars. There were several recalls done on them, which didn't help reliability numbers. Biggest thing I think is that after a lot f the initial owners sold them, lots of broke younger guys bought them and couldn't afford to mod them and ran them to death. Then they tried to dump off cars with issues for cheap, and at some point everyone thought they all should be cheap to buy based on guys lowballing price on a bunch of beat up ones. Personally I'm never selling mine due to lack of worth and capability of the car. There still isn't a fwd car that's better than one made 10yrs ago. Not much market for those kinds of cars though.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
In addition to the age, I think it's about nobody knowing about these cars. When I tracked mine from 2012-2103, a lot of people were stunned by what this car could do stock or with just a rear sway bar. These are enthusiasts and they had no clue about what a 4 year-old higher-performance car could do until they saw me drive one on a race track. Then think about the RWD, big power cars that do make headlines. Most people buy those to brag, not actually take to the track. You can't brag about a Cobalt because most people respond with "a what?". It's a total sleeper. Cool for driving, but not for resale.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
They're also old cars now. People want technology in cars now.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
you have to realize that because you dump mod money into them, doesn't mean you are investing in the car.

They are cobalts, so they are the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality. Even the SS models aren't much better than base models.

They have a recall stigma attached to them.

They are basically glorified Cavaliers. Yes they are fast, and can be modded wel. but they are just cheap cars all around
Old 06-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

Sold my 08 SS 2 years ago for 7000 with 105k miles. I was lucky the dude was ok paying that much because trade in values were 3000 to 4500.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
I agree with all of the above.
The value is based on the fact that it's a 7-9 year old econobox with (in most cases) too many miles on it, that's missing all the new gadgets that people (unfortunately) think are important in a car these days. On top of that, everyone assumes every SS has been beat to death which is probably also true in most cases.
When I bought mine new in 2010 I immediately said I would never get rid of it. It is just too much fun and what I really like about it is the understatement. By taking that approach, it makes me immune to devaluation, plus it makes bringing it in to the morons at my dealership for recalls unnecessary.
To me, my car is worth every penny I sunk into it over the years (and that's a lot of pennies) and that's all that matters
Old 06-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
That's why you never buy new. 10-15% of the value is gone the second you sign for it.

Bought my car with 11k miles for almost half the new price.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by cluelessk
That's why you never buy new. 10-15% of the value is gone the second you sign for it.

Bought my car with 11k miles for almost half the new price.
You should be glad that some people like me prefer to buy new, otherwise there would be no second hand cars for you to buy
Old 06-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Devaluation sucks for sure but then again I would rather buy new car than used
Old 06-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Balt

You guys r so right. Will do a few things to mine and keep it. So on the market will go my 93 tt modded rx7, as well as a championship winning 500 hp at the wheels 02, zo6. Keep the balt and modded 500 ft lbs at wheel turbo deisel bmw 335d. 2great cars will be left.
nice to hear your thoughts.
Sad to hear how cheap u sold or bought your balt for. While they are an understatement, and no we cannot brag about them to the public. For those of us that had or have one, we know how impressive r little 4 banger is, and know it's a drivers car.
Spank
Old 06-08-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
I find that unless people have driven one, ridden in one, or seen one at the track, most of them still equate them to essentially a Z24 Cav performance wise.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by Spank
You guys r so right. Will do a few things to mine and keep it. So on the market will go my 93 tt modded rx7, as well as a championship winning 500 hp at the wheels 02, zo6. Keep the balt and modded 500 ft lbs at wheel turbo deisel bmw 335d. 2great cars will be left.
nice to hear your thoughts.
Sad to hear how cheap u sold or bought your balt for. While they are an understatement, and no we cannot brag about them to the public. For those of us that had or have one, we know how impressive r little 4 banger is, and know it's a drivers car.
Spank
Is this sarcasm? You'd rather keep your balt than your rx-7 and Z06? I drove my uncle's '03 z06 once and I re-contemplated life.

In all honesty the LNF SS isn't depreciating that much worse than other cars. For example, I own a 2009 Cobalt SS Sedan, and a 2009 VW Tiguan. Both were similarly priced when new. According to KBB.com, the Tiguan would fetch $6032 and the Cobalt $5985 (very good condition, 94k miles). Both of them are undervalued on KBB, but it's just an example.

It's just something to account for. I know what it's worth to me, and I know about what I'd sell it for.
The following users liked this post:
user 72239 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
In the end it is a glorified economy car. Sure they are quick, reliable, and extremely underrated. Even the sedans are super rare but just aren't bringing in the dollars some of us hope they would. You have to think of it in terms of collectability. Not many collectors say I want to add a cobalt to my collection. Sure if it was corvette or Camaro they would want that in their collection. But like others have said the used ones haven't been maintained properly or destroyed by younger kids that the current owners are dropping them so cheap just to get rid of them.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:01 PM
Banned

You want to keep your Cobalt over a z06 or TT Rx7?

The following users liked this post:
exninja (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 01:20 PM

I've taken a few friends on a 3rd gear pull who talked smack and it's funny to see the look on their faces. They get out of the car with a different mindset, and have had several ask if there are any low mileage ones left that aren't beat. To which I usually reply "no". All I know is I ran a 12.91 last night at the strip in street trim, into a headwind of 15mph and counted dozens of newer v8 camaro's, mustang's, and challengers who were running 13.10-14.4. I know what it will do and don't listen to others anyway. Can't wait to get the 6758 on there with slicks and show em a 2.0 running 11's. Handles great, brakes great, can get 35mpg on the highway on my gas tune, Bluetooth, 6 airbags, decent factory stereo, power everything but seats, brembo's, sunroof,etc. I guess I don't know what I'm missing not driving a 2017? My phone has navigation and I don't need a backup camera or automatic braking because I pay attn when I'm driving, and have a brain.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
I've taken a few friends on a 3rd gear pull who talked smack and it's funny to see the look on their faces. They get out of the car with a different mindset, and have had several ask if there are any low mileage ones left that aren't beat. To which I usually reply "no". All I know is I ran a 12.91 last night at the strip in street trim, into a headwind of 15mph and counted dozens of newer v8 camaro's, mustang's, and challengers who were running 13.10-14.4. I know what it will do and don't listen to others anyway. Can't wait to get the 6758 on there with slicks and show em a 2.0 running 11's. Handles great, brakes great, can get 35mpg on the highway on my gas tune, Bluetooth, 6 airbags, decent factory stereo, power everything but seats, brembo's, sunroof,etc. I guess I don't know what I'm missing not driving a 2017? My phone has navigation and I don't need a backup camera or automatic braking because I pay attn when I'm driving, and have a brain.
^nailed the last part. A lot of people just want the newest thing out for some reason. Depending on what you want I think the ss is the best bang for the buck, but I feel like only cobalt owners know that. I've tried convincing a couple people to get a ss but they weren't having it. Talking about lnf's Going for cheap, **** I can't get 4500 for my stock lsj with 87k miles. A lot of people looking for cobalts always want them for dirt cheap lol which is funny because you get what you pay for.( most of the time) I'm kinda stuck between selling my lsj or keeping it, its been paid off for like 6 months now and I have a turbo kit but idk I just don't drive it much. Someone convince me to keep it lol
Old 06-08-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
^buy a LNF sedan
Old 06-08-2017, 08:53 PM

Keeping balt

Yes will sell others. Rx7 great but 2 seater.
corvette very fast, won championship eith it but still 2 seater. Balt easy to drive, more room, cheaper to maintain or fix, better gas mileage. Show up at the track in either, people expect a lot. Show up in an ss, people think it's just a cobalt. Then u spank them. Plus, I dont need all the cars and I wi not sell the cobalt for cheap.
will have more power than before. Already has great suspension thanks to Mr Powell, and will run 285/30/18 on my 10 in wheels, 11 inch in front on track days. And I can drive to and frome event eith 4 race tires and wheels in the car.
​​​​​
Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 PM

Z06 parts are real expensive. Had a buddy lose an axle and it cost him $1500.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
I guess I don't know what I'm missing not driving a 2017? My phone has navigation and I don't need a backup camera or automatic braking because I pay attn when I'm driving, and have a brain.
Originally Posted by jcobaltss
^nailed the last part. A lot of people just want the newest thing out for some reason.
This is so sad. New cars these days seem to sell simply because they have smart phone connectivity, a backup camera and all sorts of "driver assist" features. Park assist, Lane Departure Assist, Automatic braking. Such a load of crap.

As Nova says, if you pay attention while you drive you don't need any of it! And I can parallel park perfectly and much faster than the car can, I assure you.

Like that one commercial with the couple in the hospital going "What if our car could stop itself". smh. I'm like: "What if I told you YOU could have stopped the car if you had just paid attention and put your foot on the brake?!!"

I had a rental car last year in Europe that had all the "assists" and they were all turned on. I pulled over within 10 minutes to figure out how to turn all that **** off! It was beeping when I went even 1km over the speed limit (It constantly determined the local speed limit using GPS and an internet connection and displayed it on the dash). When I got too close to the lane dividing stripes, there was a loud buzzing sound coming from the speaker on that side of the car which scared the bejeezus out of me the first time. And when I braked a tiny bit late in traffic, the car braked for me which straight freaked me out.

All these features are great for the many morons on the road that cannot drive but I don't want any of them in any of my cars!

*gets off soap box*
Old 06-09-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by colodude18
This is so sad. New cars these days seem to sell simply because they have smart phone connectivity, a backup camera and all sorts of "driver assist" features. Park assist, Lane Departure Assist, Automatic braking. Such a load of crap.

As Nova says, if you pay attention while you drive you don't need any of it! And I can parallel park perfectly and much faster than the car can, I assure you.

Like that one commercial with the couple in the hospital going "What if our car could stop itself". smh. I'm like: "What if I told you YOU could have stopped the car if you had just paid attention and put your foot on the brake?!!"

I had a rental car last year in Europe that had all the "assists" and they were all turned on. I pulled over within 10 minutes to figure out how to turn all that **** off! It was beeping when I went even 1km over the speed limit (It constantly determined the local speed limit using GPS and an internet connection and displayed it on the dash). When I got too close to the lane dividing stripes, there was a loud buzzing sound coming from the speaker on that side of the car which scared the bejeezus out of me the first time. And when I braked a tiny bit late in traffic, the car braked for me which straight freaked me out.

All these features are great for the many morons on the road that cannot drive but I don't want any of them in any of my cars!

*gets off soap box*
I think all those features are gonna be bad for kids getting thier license.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spank
Yes will sell others. Rx7 great but 2 seater.

​​​​​
sooooooo what do you want for the fd?