08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Why does everyone hate the SS interior/body?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I had an SS. I love the Cobalt interior though, but I wish the cup holders were lit, like in the Dodge Caliber. That was one of my favorite things in the Caliber, the lit cup holders. I have no complaints about my Cobalt, I LOVE it. Its a million times better than the tank of a Dodge Intrepid I used to drive. It took a while to get used to the Cobalt, but after driving it for a month and a half I love it.

The Cobalt needs these:

What I drove until early June:

And of course none other than my current car, the LT:
Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ArrogantZ
Your right I'm driving in the Los Angeles area, we have Earthquakes in this state.
LOL, wtf do earthquakes have to do with anything? Are you trying to imply that earthquakes make up for how brutal many michigan roads are after you drive on them repeatedly for a number of years? If a building falls on your car or the freeway overpass you are on collapses you may have a point.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, i don't get the interior hatred. Especially when everyone clamors on about the Japanese competition being the greatest thing ever. I test drove the Mazdaspeed3 and the Civic Si...and I really don't get what is SOOOO much better.

Chevrolet Cavalier and the same gen Civic...ok fine, but the new stuff is NO better IMO.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by krispy
you aren't driving on Michigan roads
QUOTE FOR FREAKIN TRUTH!

We have some of the worse roads in the country here in Michigan. Honestly, I have more then a handful of friends who have had to sue the state to get money to replace **** on their vehicle that breaks when they hit an infamous Michigan Pot Hole.

Cracked chrome rims, blown out tire rods etc etc.

You guys know exactly what most cars sound like when the struts bottom out? Cuz I do. Cannot wait to leave Michigan for Phoenix , AZ...heard the roads/highways out there are NIIIICE..
Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by astrocrep
Honestly my experience with the cobalt was eh...

I loved the car loved it... it was fast as **** and the drive train was top notch...

But the build quality was horrible... perhaps I was just unlucky... but the car was very very cheaply made. Every other week something went wrong...

And what bugs me the most, I just picked up a 08 Wolfsburg Jetta (with the GTI 2.0T engine and the DSG transmission 200hp, 207tq) fully loaded... heated leather, heated mirrors, Power Everything... and the sticker was 2k less than the cobalt

-Rich
And the HP/TQ difference? 2k for 50/60 more ... I say not bad at all.

If you want that glorious interior, save your pennies and buy a porsche. or a 50k+ vehicle.

How does it go... oh yeah "You get what your pay for and for 20k, seems one of the better to me". Be happy your driving a Cobalt and not a Geo Metro (No offense to metro owners)
Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 PM

LOL, wtf do earthquakes have to do with anything? Are you trying to imply that earthquakes make up for how brutal many michigan roads are after you drive on them repeatedly for a number of years? If a building falls on your car or the freeway overpass you are on collapses you may have a point.
So I guess the pavement floats over the earth and when we have earthquakes and trimmers the pavement and expansion joints stay exactly where it was when it was originally paved. The only way you can get damage to your vehicle is if a building falls on it, brilliant. When the earth moves so does the pavement on it.

BTW the city of Encino had the good fortune of paying me for a wheel on my Z28 about 6 years ago because of a pot hole.

While I have not been to Michigan. I have been to about 20-25 states in this country and I have been to other countries too. I know good roads when I drive them we don't have them.

In this finding look which state is right under Michigan

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/10326

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/04/c...st-roads-list/

With that said. I agree that the interior is cheap it's a GM vehicle. I see my Z06 get slammed in reviews all the time because of the interior. Funny both cars are kinda in the same boat performance>interior quality.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Someone wise once told me you can only have 2 of these 3 things in a car, but never all three:

-Performance
-Affordable
-Quality

I think that sums up our car quite nicely. And I would gladly sacrifice a plastic dash and some fitment issues in order to get an extra 3/4 a second in the 1/4 mile--cough, cough Civic Si.

Originally Posted by ArrogantZ
So I guess the pavement floats over the earth and when we have earthquakes and trimmers the pavement and expansion joints stay exactly where it was when it was originally paved. The only way you can get damage to your vehicle is if a building falls on it, brilliant. When the earth moves so does the pavement on it.

BTW the city of Encino had the good fortune of paying me for a wheel on my Z28 about 6 years ago because of a pot hole.

While I have not been to Michigan. I have been to about 20-25 states in this country and I have been to other countries too. I know good roads when I drive them we don't have them.

In this finding look which state is right under Michigan

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/10326

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/04/c...st-roads-list/

With that said. I agree that the interior is cheap it's a GM vehicle. I see my Z06 get slammed in reviews all the time because of the interior. Funny both cars are kinda in the same boat performance>interior quality.

Oh nice, I moved from the sate with the best roads to the state with the 4th worst. I thought I noticed a difference.

Last edited by N8s07SS; 08-01-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-02-2008, 02:59 AM
Banned

Michigan roads are horrible. I cannot wait to get out to Arizona... Im sick of ******* dodging pot holes and hearing my car scream when I hit one. Worst roads in Michigan----Flint Town.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by FiscalFizz
Michigan roads are horrible. I cannot wait to get out to Arizona... Im sick of ******* dodging pot holes and hearing my car scream when I hit one. Worst roads in Michigan----Flint Town.
Some of the ones around Detroit are just as bad. Davison near I96 was probably the worst road Ive ever been on before they repaved it. 11 Mile in Berkley would have to be up there too. I94 in east Detroit was too before they repaved it 2 times because they actually made it worse the 1st time.

The weird thing is other states with similar climates dont have the same problems. Must be that maintenance thing I hear about.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by emiller
The weird thing is other states with similar climates dont have the same problems. Must be that maintenance thing I hear about.
no, its the fact that they use crappy materials without enough frost protection

the worst roads I see are in the Pontiac area
Old 08-03-2008, 09:15 PM

F*CKING VAN DYKE BETWEEN 17 MILE ROAD AND HALL ROAD!!! God does that suck i took my buddy to pick up his Jetta and i was crawling over that road its so horrible and a fat nasty!!

Originally Posted by TurbochargedFuture88
lmao this is so funny cuz I've been driving a v6 dakota slt for a couple years now and was looking at an 09 ss/tc. I never thought the truck was that bad but I guess its because I've never owned anything else. thanks for the insight and glad we have something in common
How are yours in Conneticut? Funny enough my little SS with its sport tuned suspension traverses deathholes better then my 4x4 Dakota did, i hit a hidden pot hole in the snow and got thrown into a spin which i caught and as a result started doing 360's for fun acting like i ment to do it, only great thing about that truck, winter time and because it was a tank in the snow = badass snow time fun!

Last edited by CptTheAlex; 08-03-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by CptTheAlex
I had an SS/SC i cleaned my interior every week because i liked keeping it clean, never had a scratch anywhere on the interior the floor mat on driver side was a tad bit worn but thats why its there. My car got totaled so i leased a $30,000 Dodge Dakota shittiest piece of **** i have ever drove in my life, the interior was garbage and got stained from snow sitting on it, the floor mats were **** when i turned it in at a year 8 months, that huge plastic bumper on the front broke from me hitting a poofy white snow bank and by poofy i mean i hit and it was snowy dust at 5 mph and the **** broke, not to mention the truck was slower than a retarded kid attempting the watermelon crawl dance on his face!!! Oh yeah and it was 30,000 dollars the retail price. So to me going from a SS/SC to that truck was like leaving a Porsche to a ford festiva, and i bought another SS its an N/A but you know what i couldnt be more happier its not the fastest (right now) and the interior maybe shitty to some of you BUT TRY DRIVING A F*CKING DODGE DAKOTA SLT V6 FOR 2 YEARS FROM YOUR BALT AND I BET YOU FEEL LIKE YOU JUST SOLD YOUR LAMBORGHINI

Stop complaining about everything!!!!
So right my brother has an 07 Dakota and is WEAK wouldnt pull a red ryder waggon, but his ride is better than i thought it would be,

And for the record i like the Cobalt interiors, C&D, Edmunds, ect... only like hondas, and toyotas when it comes to compacts. I beleave all that is about to change though GM is vastly improving its products.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Banned

no, its the fact that they use crappy materials without enough frost protection

the worst roads I see are in the Pontiac area
no, its the fact that Michigan has one of the worst infrastructures and economies out of any state in the country. We don't have $$$ for our roads. Michigan, I believe, is currently the most moved from state in the country. (as in people leaving to other states)
Old 08-04-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by FiscalFizz
no, its the fact that Michigan has one of the worst infrastructures and economies out of any state in the country. We don't have $$$ for our roads. Michigan, I believe, is currently the most moved from state in the country. (as in people leaving to other states)
I'd believe it. No more jobs means I left.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:51 PM

Yeah Michigan roads suck.... My girlfriend and about 3 people I know got flat tires, and worse done to their cars from the roads alone this year.... Try driving anywhere in Dearborn especially on Michigan Ave... You're better off taking the side streets...
Old 08-09-2008, 08:19 PM

I can give you an honest opinoun coming from a current VW owner. The inside of the cobaltSS is crap, but the for the price the car it is fine. It is just as good as a civic or a carolla. I have a 2007 GTI so I know what a good interior looks like, but I will buy a CobaltSS in January as a track car. I think the people that buy a Cobaltss is for the way it drives.

If I had to only have one car it definatley woould not by the cobalt, but as a fun toy that I could drive to work if I had to the cobalt would work. I love my GTI but to make the VW as fast the Cobalt it would take about 8k. So it makes the cobalt a bargin about 21K.

I dont care that the cobalt doesn't have all the dashstroking appeal that my GTI has, but it has all the GO and STOP I want. I will keep the GTI to drive everyday and have a wonderful daily driver and a great weekend warrior.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by suzbndt
I can give you an honest opinoun coming from a current VW owner. The inside of the cobaltSS is crap, but the for the price the car it is fine ...
Car and Driver - "2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Faces Four Forced-Induction Fours and a High-RPM Honda"

"The GTI is a class act that happens to be fast."

"The Cobalt is fast first; everything else second."

Never saw a single person alive who bragged about how great their dash was after they got beat in a race.

Not once ...

Power/Handling/Performance FTW!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by firemanfrank
Car and Driver - "2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Faces Four Forced-Induction Fours and a High-RPM Honda"

"The GTI is a class act that happens to be fast."

"The Cobalt is fast first; everything else second."

Never saw a single person alive who bragged about how great their dash was after they got beat in a race.

Not once ...

Power/Handling/Performance FTW!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

LOL
Old 08-09-2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by et00
Every review its the same story. The body is outdated and the interior is "cheap".

Am I the only one that likes the style? No its not redesigned I get it. Still love the seats, the front end, and the spoiler. I don't need all those pretty bells and whistles that will crack and fall off in 3 years. Not really into hatchbacks and the Si looks kinda weird with such a small hood imo...

Still I have to bash the cupholders. WTF chevy? They are the exact same ones as my 96' s10. Must have a warehouse full of em... <end rant>

I have a SOLUTION!

Get a CSRT4
Old 08-09-2008, 09:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The interior of a CSRT-4 is not much better than any other Mopar out right now.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 PM

Because of people like CBodnar
Old 08-09-2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by steddy2112
The interior of a CSRT-4 is not much better than any other Mopar out right now.

Its def better than the SS...

I hated the SS/SC interior. The door handles fell apart, the paint on the side consoles chipped, the dash was boring, and the boost guage looked like a cheapo guage you could buy at autozone....

The CSRT4 interior is much nicer. I like the SRT4 accents in the boost guage, tach, and the leather + cloth mix seats. Its all accented with red stiching and a very nice looking chromed out shifter knob ( not like that chincey plastic one that was in the SS.... ).

Cant beat the LED cup holders and the cooler either. There are a lot of nice extras in the CSRT4 which makes it stand out to me when compared to other sport compacts.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I get in my car, and turn it on.

It goes.

If I want a cold drink, I will go get one.

I don't use my car everyday.

I don't really eat in it...I mash the gas, it goes like I like it to.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by BostonBoy
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

LOL
Thanks B/B!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:07 PM

I don't get why VW is so revered for their interiors...

Sure their plastic and fit & finish is better quality than the Cobalt's, but I find the layout really plain and boring.

Quick Reply: Why does everyone hate the SS interior/body?