2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Brembo's Front AND Rear??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:54 AM
Resident Post Whore/Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo's Front AND Rear??

so i thought we only had brembos in the front and the calipers in the back were the GM performance ones, but according to CED we have brembos in the rear also.....

HMMM

Link

Brembo Caliper LH RR 08 09 Cobalt TC 25902074 - Crate Engine Depot
Old 01-08-2011, 04:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, that's clearly an error on their site or they are just using Brembo in the description for the overall braking system so as not to confuse the caliper with the older or base model cars. If I recall correctly the rear calipers are produced by ATE (Continental Teves) for GM. Even a lot of the "factory" OEM Brembo calipers that come on many cars are produced under license and not actually made at a Brembo facility.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Resident Post Whore/Troll

ah ok cool thanks for the clarification, i was going to buy some new front calipers for powdercoating, then saw that and was like WTF! but thanks bro!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by blackbird
No, that's clearly an error on their site or they are just using Brembo in the description for the overall braking system so as not to confuse the caliper with the older or base model cars. If I recall correctly the rear calipers are produced by ATE (Continental Teves) for GM. Even a lot of the "factory" OEM Brembo calipers that come on many cars are produced under license and not actually made at a Brembo facility.
I'm looking to replace the rear pads soon. I see they are TEXTAR pads. ATE started producing PREMIUM replacements pads in April of 2009. Wonder if those would be better as far as dusting and noise? They do have a replacement pad for the TC rear.

Link

http://www.ate-na.com/generator/www/...s_sheet_us.pdf
Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ronn
I'm looking to replace the rear pads soon. I see they are TEXTAR pads. ATE started producing PREMIUM replacements pads in April of 2009. Wonder if those would be better as far as dusting and noise? They do have a replacement pad for the TC rear.

Link

http://www.ate-na.com/generator/www/...s_sheet_us.pdf
The new ones from GM are marked ATE. I went HPS. Doubt theres much difference.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
The new ones from GM are marked ATE. I went HPS. Doubt theres much difference.
Just made my choice for the rears.
Wagner
Rears PD1095

ThermoQuiet:

TQ EDGE : The Most Technologically Advanced Brake Pad for Today's Vehicles

Gonna stay stock up front.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think CED was labeling them as such to help distinguish them from the ones the 05-07 SS may have.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Wagner
Rears PD1095

ThermoQuiet:

Update..I've now orderd these for the fronts as well.
Fronts WAGNER MX1379

I'll provise my impressions when they're on the car.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM

Update..I've now orderd these for the fronts as well.
Fronts WAGNER MX1379

I'll provise my impressions when they're on the car.
Are you going to track/auto-x your car with the thermo quiets?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM

haha he says he doesnt track it just drives it so hell be safe
Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by tom.g
Are you going to track/auto-x your car with the thermo quiets?
Absolutely NOT. I'll save the front stockers should that need arise. When I raced the 944T, I would swap out street for track pads...took 10 min. That way, you have a nice CLEAN and QUIET car 95% of the time when you're not racing . These new ceramic pads will provide ALL the braking I'll ever need on the street without all the BLACK DUST. I never had a sqeaking problem though.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Absolutely NOT. I'll save the front stockers should that need arise. When I raced the 944T, I would swap out street for track pads...took 10 min. That way, you have a nice CLEAN and QUIET car 95% of the time when you're not racing . These new ceramic pads will provide ALL the braking I'll ever need on the street without all the BLACK DUST. I never had a sqeaking problem though.
Ahh I see, ok good. Because I don't think Ceramic pads would hold up too well on an Auto-x course let alone a track
Old 01-16-2011, 03:38 AM

Wagner
Rears PD1095

ThermoQuiet:

Update on Thermoquiets..went to QC1095A rear pads which are CERAMIC version. The PD1095s are ORGANIC. For, the fronts I'll eventaully put on the SEMI METALLICS MX1379
Old 01-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Update on Thermoquiets..went to QC1095A rear pads which are CERAMIC version. The PD1095s are ORGANIC. For, the fronts I'll eventaully put on the SEMI METALLICS MX1379
Just installed the rear Thermoquiet QC1095A pads (ceramic..used on Saab) along with new PLAIN Centric rotors. These weren't listed for the Cobalt for some reason..the PD1095 organic version is the only one shown for Cobalt TC. I noticed that the new pads don't quite reach all the way into the inner rotor..about 3mm short. They are the same size overall though. No biggie there. Driver inner pad was down to backing plate and passenger inner was almost gone. I had lubed the pins about 6K miles ago at 12K miles (having no problems) and the metal on metal sound just started recently at 18K miles. So lubbing didn't seem to hold off wearing down much if at all. Pins were still lubed.
My theory is that the PAD MATERIAL is the culprit. The inner pad may wear more because the pad material attracts/traps dirt and it's the INNER pad that gets all the **** thrown at it. Dragging of the pad (e brake) could also contribute...but I bet changing the pad (and new rotor or cut rotor) will solve the problems. Also, being an aggressive metalic pad, any draging will wear it down more than say ceramic pads. Bottom line... stock pads will score rotors and wear down on the inside prematurely. Great for racing..not good for street driving.

Oh..the FU##KN tool I bought (disc that you mount onto 3/8 drive) was too BIG...separation between pins that insert into holes were spaced too far apart..WTF? Had to turn and twist with pointed gripper.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:27 PM

snip...

Oh..the FU##KN tool I bought (disc that you mount onto 3/8 drive) was too BIG...separation between pins that insert into holes were spaced too far apart..WTF? Had to turn and twist with pointed gripper.
I have that same disk (too large) in my toolbox from when I did mine the first time at 9k. It's posted here a lot in error. Picked up a cube from Autobone today that I hope will work next week, if not I'll use needlenose pliers again.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
I have that same disk (too large) in my toolbox from when I did mine the first time at 9k. It's posted here a lot in error. Picked up a cube from Autobone today that I hope will work next week, if not I'll use needlenose pliers again.
Don't think the cube will work. Maybe best to buy the whole *kit* on e bay for $40?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:55 PM

Maybe, but I can do it without it. I haven't opened the cube package yet so if it's wrong, it'll go back.

R1 Concepts drilled & slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads et al will be here Wed. Prob do the fronts next weekend as they are pretty warped at 54k miles. Rears will follow.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:32 AM

Maybe, but I can do it without it. I haven't opened the cube package yet so if it's wrong, it'll go back.

R1 Concepts drilled & slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads et al will be here Wed. Prob do the fronts next weekend as they are pretty warped at 54k miles. Rears will follow.
Check this out:

Schley Products, Inc , 67380 3/8 In Dr Brake Caliper Tool Adapter - Mazda Mini Volvo
Old 01-23-2011, 02:26 AM

One of these likely fits:

18 Piece Disc Brake Pad and Caliper Service Tool Kit

I use a modified cube. I took the side that had pegs that matched the closest, cut 2 off, and narrowed the other 2 until it fit. It's not great, but it works. I'll be getting the service kit at some point I'm sure.

For the fronts, I use this:

Brake Spreader Tool Volvo Saab Volkswagen VW Audi - eBay (item 380303886158 end time Jan-30-11 06:16:54 PST)
Old 01-23-2011, 03:16 AM

I use a modified cube. I took the side that had pegs that matched the closest, cut 2 off, and narrowed the other 2 until it fit. It's not great, but it works. I'll be getting the service kit at some point I'm sure.

Brake Spreader Tool Volvo Saab Volkswagen VW Audi - eBay (item 380303886158 end time Jan-30-11 06:16:54 PST)
Looks like the one I posted is in the kit...left side third from bottom..the only one with a 3/8 drive application! The disc below is a 3/8 adaptor that fits into that and then onto the press tool which has two pins that insert into all the discs. The one I showed here would use a simple ratchet drive that you would apply pressure to. The kit is overkill, but it does have the compressor. I read here that someone just used the press tool alone..using the pins that are fixed to it.. you can see that they are spaced closer togehter fitting into all the adaptor holes on the various discs. Then you have to wonder why they have the one disc spaced the same with 3/8 drive hole? Maybe the pins are smaller..or the spacing may not be exactly the same?

Old 01-23-2011, 05:45 AM

I have a Dremel, so might mod the cube also. Thanks Wang for the info.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Looks like the one I posted is in the kit...left side third from bottom..the only one with a 3/8 drive application! The disc below is a 3/8 adaptor that fits into that and then onto the press tool which has two pins that insert into all the discs. The one I showed here would use a simple ratchet drive that you would apply pressure to. The kit is overkill, but it does have the compressor. I read here that someone just used the press tool alone..using the pins that are fixed to it.. you can see that they are spaced closer togehter fitting into all the adaptor holes on the various discs. Then you have to wonder why they have the one disc spaced the same with 3/8 drive hole? Maybe the pins are smaller..or the spacing may not be exactly the same?

If you're gonna spend a few bucks on it, just get the full kit from HF. You don't want to just put the disc on the 3/8 drive. Trust me, the hard part is trying to press down while spinning it. The kit will lodge against the opposite side of the caliper and allow you to compress. I've used both, and the kit is MUCH easier.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:12 PM

If you're gonna spend a few bucks on it, just get the full kit from HF. You don't want to just put the disc on the 3/8 drive. Trust me, the hard part is trying to press down while spinning it. The kit will lodge against the opposite side of the caliper and allow you to compress. I've used both, and the kit is MUCH easier.
You convinced me, I ordered it from HF.

Wang - How hard are the fronts to compress without the tool you linked?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:35 PM

You convinced me, I ordered it from HF.

Wang - How hard are the fronts to compress without the tool you linked?
Easy..check the way this guy did it!

SRT8 Brake Pad Installation | R1Concepts.com

Old 01-23-2011, 03:39 PM

Thanks Ronn, easy breezy!

Quick Reply: Brembo's Front AND Rear??