2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Can you K&N SRI with AEM Dry filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you K&N SRI with AEM Dry filter?

I want an SRI, but I don't want a oiled filter, I don't want to deal with the extra maintenance risking messed up MAF Sensor.

So can I buy an K&N and use a AEM Filter?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:52 AM
Banned

you sure can. as long as it fits, its no problem. btw just for your fyi. I have been running a k&n filter drop in style for tha last 19k and have had 0 issues.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by vahdyx
I want an SRI, but I don't want a oiled filter, I don't want to deal with the extra maintenance risking messed up MAF Sensor.

So can I buy an K&N and use a AEM Filter?
i have used K&N filters on all my cars and have never once had an issue with a MAF sensor... just leave the stock sensor and when u clean it follow the instructions and you'll be all set...
Old 07-30-2010, 07:55 AM

I would go with the dry filter or an oiled foam filter, think UNI dirtbike filters. Here's why

The problem is 2 fold on oiled filters and force induction motors. One, and this is more or less a generalization, alot of people that have a K&N do not oil it properly, I have done it, everyone does it the first few times. On a normal engine with a little vaccum in the intake thats no big deal. Which leads me to number two, over oiling on your filter with a turbo creates considerably more vaccum on the filter, which can translate to oil on the MAF. And if you get water on the filter it turns in to a pain in the behind, ya dig? I tried both on my 6.5 Diesel, tons of air volume even at only 14 psi max (newer diesels boost up to 40 from the factory). I went with the dry AEM and it works ok. Just remember the aftermarket filters trade air movement volume for filtration. More volume in= less filtration. When I offroad my truck I always put the stock filter set up on.

Also my personal reccomendation to you if you buy any cotton gauze oiled filter... Buy an "Outerwares" for it, any dirtbike shop will have them. Its a little screen filter condom that goes over the thing, helps keep off some water and bigger particles out. Also get an extra filter. When you hose it out with water it should be drier that a popcorn fart before you start oiling it up. If you have had one sitting on the work bench for a while it has more than dried out. This way there is no time wasted waiting for the filter to dry while you could be slaying rice burners and douche bags in V-6 mustangs.

Last edited by RyRidesMotox; 07-30-2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
the k&n sri filter is shaped different for a reason, I think that aem filter will throw off the fuel trims, but try it and log.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:58 AM

what i always do is if I buy a kit that already has a K&N filter, i'll run it with at first because its factory pre-oiled, but when it comes time to clean it... discard it and get a dry flow... I did that on my GTP with its CAI, and i'm going to do it with my Hahn intake... different intake, but same concept

and honestly, those cheap ass dry flow filters you can get at autozone.... they work just as well... now if its something you can see like a SRI, just for the looks i'd probably go AEM, but if its hid away in your fender like the Hahn... those cheap ass $20 filters at autozone will flow just as well as a AEM dry flow for less money, many car forums have proven that to be true long before now

honestly there are probably produced at the same parent company
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by northvibe
the k&n sri filter is shaped different for a reason, I think that aem filter will throw off the fuel trims, but try it and log.
Yes it will but maybe in a good way, maybe in a bad way someone will have to try it and data log the results.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 AM

I already ran into 1 issue, but its probably not related. I thought my drop in K&N filter was the cause of my car misfiring, backfiring, ready to shut itself down with the MAF, but maybe not. It could have been the Hahn CAI being the cause. The backfiring and misfiring issue however went away, and my car started to kick in limp mode in a 2 day period. So, I came to the conclusion that Term and others said the wires from the GMS1 needed to be solder, after doing that my issue went away. I cleaned the MAF sensor once with the CRC MAF Cleaner and 0 issues with 6500 miles running K&N. Now I got the new revised AEM intake coming in, so I'm very excited.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
500 miles of K&N drop in and my maf was oiled .. used maf cleaner reset and it has been good ever since..

some of them can be over oiled from the factory ... If that happens nothing some MAF cleaner can't fix. Dry filters are great but I still prefer the flow of an oiled. Paper usually filters better but with less flow so it is kind of a toss up. If you live a mile on a gravel or dirt road I wouldn't suggest using an oiled filter because more particles get in the engine which is never good ... If you are driving mostly on pavement and city streets etc I wouldn't worry about it . MAF cleaner is like 5 dollars and it take 5 minutes... With the SRI you can just take off the filter and clean it pretty easily so oiled is just fine IMO
Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
k&n made it with that filter for a reason but yea try it and see what happens i mean i look at it as just wasting money ya know but whatever floats ya boat!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo
500 miles of K&N drop in and my maf was oiled .. used maf cleaner reset and it has been good ever since..

some of them can be over oiled from the factory ... If that happens nothing some MAF cleaner can't fix. Dry filters are great but I still prefer the flow of an oiled. Paper usually filters better but with less flow so it is kind of a toss up. If you live a mile on a gravel or dirt road I wouldn't suggest using an oiled filter because more particles get in the engine which is never good ... If you are driving mostly on pavement and city streets etc I wouldn't worry about it . MAF cleaner is like 5 dollars and it take 5 minutes... With the SRI you can just take off the filter and clean it pretty easily so oiled is just fine IMO
After about 10,000 miles on a k&n drop in my maf was toast but the dealership still replaced it. Nothing but AEM for now on out!
Old 07-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Banned

Its about oiling it properly, the storys come from people who over oil, plain and simple.
When you re-oil, the filter should not feel greasy, just enough to create a thin layer of oil on its surface.

When you buy them new its hard to even tell there is oil on them, and I in fact called K&N to ask if its pre-oiled from the factory,just because the filter seemed very dry but they said yes it is preoiled

I love the k&n's simply due to the flow, its a very "free flowing filter" but with the added protection of oil to catch finer dust etc, and I would recommend the screen cover as well, it may decrease the flow a little, but no way near a dry cotton filter.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by EcoTecDriver
Its about oiling it properly, the storys come from people who over oil, plain and simple.
When you re-oil, the filter should not feel greasy, just enough to create a thin layer of oil on its surface.

When you buy them new its hard to even tell there is oil on them, and I in fact called K&N to ask if its pre-oiled from the factory,just because the filter seemed very dry but they said yes it is preoiled

I love the k&n's simply due to the flow, its a very "free flowing filter" but with the added protection of oil to catch finer dust etc, and I would recommend the screen cover as well, it may decrease the flow a little, but no way near a dry cotton filter.
I never reoiled my k&n it was the factory oiled filter that killed my maf.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:50 PM

On the outerwares for the K&N... Its basically designed to keep big pieces of dirt, sticks, leaves, and all the **** like that you find on the road off of your filter. You do not oil the outerwares, idealy something should hit it and fall off so it shouldnt slow down flow at all. One thing that I did put on it oddly enough was a little scotch guard. When I had the filter out and the screen off, i would clean the screen or just buy a new one. And spray a smidge of scotch guard on it. I'm sure everyone knows what it does on clothes but the fiber screen would shed water very quickly on my off road applications. It seems that people are having an issue with water on the SRI or CAI in these rides so maybe give that a shot. And for gods sake makes sure the filter and screen are dry when you put them on. Good Luck

Last edited by RyRidesMotox; 07-31-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by importkiller
I never reoiled my k&n it was the factory oiled filter that killed my maf.
like mentioned already sometimes they come over oiled, looks like you were one of the unlucky ones