2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

CIA Catted downpipe GB Feeler

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by julius41282
I ordered the Stainless Catted DP, and I also plan on getting the GM Tune. I'm just curious as to what issues there would be having the Catted DP with the GM Tune?
gm tune probably nothing. however if you go with a tune from anywhere really you run the risk of eventually melting the cat if the tune is a little lean or clogging the catt if the tune is a lil rich. probably wont happen if you get a decent tune but I wasnt gonna take any chances.

Originally Posted by wantedSS/TC
That'd be great! For $10 I'm sure it's worth it too!!

not the best camera and the pics were taken in the garage so the lighting kinda sucks but at least you get the idea.

Last edited by hilty003; 06-13-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-13-2009, 04:20 PM

Won't you fail inspection in PA with a Catless DP?

Originally Posted by hilty003
gm tune probably nothing. however if you go with a tune from anywhere really you run the risk of eventually melting the cat if the tune is a little lean or clogging the catt if the tune is a lil rich. probably wont happen if you get a decent tune but I wasnt gonna take any chances.

not the best camera and the pics were taken in the garage so the lighting kinda sucks but at least you get the idea.
By the way, where exactly are you from in Pittsburgh?

Last edited by julius41282; 06-13-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-13-2009, 07:22 PM

you will, but I plan on chAnging it out before the inspection occurs!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you will, but I plan on chAnging it out before the inspection occurs!
Yeah, make sure you do that a few hundred miles or so on the catted/stocker before your inspection so your status will be "Ready"...

I've been reading up and learning about that recently.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina
Yeah, make sure you do that a few hundred miles or so on the catted/stocker before your inspection so your status will be "Ready"...

ahh, thanks, I didn't know this!! I'll have to do some research myself.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hilty!!!

who did your brembo's?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mazdaboi318
hilty!!!

who did your brembo's?
i did them myself. g2 caliper paint kit. bought it on ebay, a lil pricey around $40 bucks i think. and then bought the vinyls on ebay as well. ill get a pic of them tommorrow.

this is news to me. can you elaborate a lil as to what this "ready" is? itll save me the trouble of researching

yea i would but im gonna swap it back to the stocker for inspection like those couple previous posts discussed. and im about 20 mins north of pittsburgh off of route 28. it would be the tarentum exit and i live in lower burrell there.

you wouldnt happen to have a silver ss/tc would you? i just parked next to one at the pittsburgh mills mall this evening and it was the first one i've seen in the area besides mine since they've come out.

Last edited by hilty003; 06-14-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 AM

i did them myself. g2 caliper paint kit. bought it on ebay, a lil pricey around $40 bucks i think. and then bought the vinyls on ebay as well. ill get a pic of them tommorrow.

this is news to me. can you elaborate a lil as to what this "ready" is? itll save me the trouble of researching

yea i would but im gonna swap it back to the stocker for inspection like those couple previous posts discussed. and im about 20 mins north of pittsburgh off of route 28. it would be the tarentum exit and i live in lower burrell there.

you wouldnt happen to have a silver ss/tc would you? i just parked next to one at the pittsburgh mills mall this evening and it was the first one i've seen in the area besides mine since they've come out.
Nope that wasn't mine. I have a Victory Red TC coupe. I actually live South of Pittsburgh in the Bridgeville area. I have only met one other person around my area with a new TC coupe. I was getting my oil changed at a local GM dealership and the only other TC that i've seen was getting the oil changed right after mine. Other than that I still have yet to see any others. Kinda sucks that you don't really see that many, but it makes it that much better to have one b/c it seems to still be a pretty rare car to have. Are you planning on going to the meet at Ridley Creek State Park? There are already around 70+ cars going to the meet. You should try to come out. It would be nice to get a few people to head out there with.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 AM

Nope that wasn't mine. I have a Victory Red TC coupe. I actually live South of Pittsburgh in the Bridgeville area. I have only met one other person around my area with a new TC coupe. I was getting my oil changed at a local GM dealership and the only other TC that i've seen was getting the oil changed right after mine. Other than that I still have yet to see any others. Kinda sucks that you don't really see that many, but it makes it that much better to have one b/c it seems to still be a pretty rare car to have. Are you planning on going to the meet at Ridley Creek State Park? There are already around 70+ cars going to the meet. You should try to come out. It would be nice to get a few people to head out there with.
i havent really heard about that meet. when is it? can you link me to the thread? maybe i will be able to make it.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 AM

Here's how the Texas DPS describes it: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/ready_not.htm

Basically, if everything's normal, when they hook it up to the computer during your inspection then all the status indicators for you car will say "Ready".

If something happened to your car recently, such as an emissions related CEL, you cleared an emissions CEL, and/or you disconnected your battery recently then the indicator(s) will say "Not Ready".

If you disabled the emissions check through HPT or some other scan gauge (such as if you go catless and don't want to throw a code all the time) then it will always show "Not Ready".

In Texas, on cars 2001 and newer, you get two strikes ("Not Ready-s") and you're out so to speak. If it's 1996-2000 then you get three. If you say switch your catless to catted again and turn on the emission check code again and/or disconnected your battery again, you'll need to do several key cycles or a hundred miles or so to get your car to complete checking the emissions and the indicator to say "Ready" again.

In theory, if they didn't do a visual check, you could keep your catless and keep the car's self-check disabled and just go with the "Not Ready", but if one other thing doesn't check out, then you'd have two and wouldn't pass.

Your state may be different on the number of "Not Ready" indicators allowed before it doesn't pass.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:38 PM

okay, so if I uninstall the DP and put back in the stock one, drive 150 miles or so on it, will all be well when I go for inspection?
Old 06-14-2009, 02:03 PM

okay, so if I uninstall the DP and put back in the stock one, drive 150 miles or so on it, will all be well when I go for inspection?
It all depends on manufacturer and model. Typically it doesnt take 150 miles, but its hard to say. Usually after we do emissions repair on a car we run it up on the highway for about 15-20mins before taking it for a sticker. This usually works. There are even some service recommendation up there that say driving at like 65mph for 10secs then let off the throttle for 10secs then accelerate to 65mph again for 10secs the let off for 10secs etc... will cycle your computers. Like said above, the whole purpose of the "Ready/Not Ready" is wether or not your computer has checked all of the operating systems in the car. Basically, codes don't just pop up. Your vehicle does a self check, and if an issue is found it alerts you with a code. Therefore, if the check hasnt been performed yet and there is a problem, there will be no code. A typical emissions inspection can not access your vehicle's computer like your vehicle itself can. So you can't get inspected until your car performs this check. And also like said above, depending on the vehicle year you may be allowed to have 1 or 2 systems "not ready."
Old 06-14-2009, 02:07 PM

so what do you recommend that I do and about how long should I install the stock DP back on the car before I go in for inspection. Sorry for my "newbness" with this, but it's sounding a little confusing at the moment.

My current thoughts are:

1. Install stock DP about 2 weeks before inspection
2. drive 150-200 miles to run systems check (perform different runs - 65 10 sec, off 10 sec, etc.)
3. take car to inspection station
4. pass

Old 06-14-2009, 03:16 PM

so what do you recommend that I do and about how long should I install the stock DP back on the car before I go in for inspection. Sorry for my "newbness" with this, but it's sounding a little confusing at the moment.

My current thoughts are:

2. drive 150-200 miles to run systems check (perform different runs - 65 10 sec, off 10 sec, etc.)
4. pass

1) Yes, should be more than enough time for it to do the check.
2) Yes, it sounds like that could work too.
3) Yes, this is an option as long as they don't do a visual check and you don't have anything else showing up as bad/"Not Ready". You could possibly get by without doing anything depending on the state and/or place inspected.
4) Doing one of these things, you will likely pass.

Keep in mind, if you try #3, do it earlier in the month, so if something pops up and they don't pass it, you still have time to swap out, give the car time to check itself again, and take it in while you're still legal.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:31 PM

i havent really heard about that meet. when is it? can you link me to the thread? maybe i will be able to make it.
It should be a great time. Read the first page to get the main info since there are over 100 pages to the thread.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/north-east-56/aug-meet-ideas-pa-md-de-ny-va-etc-168516/

Let me know what you think about going out there.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:57 PM

My current thoughts are:

4. pass

haha dont be confused. i get what their saying but you dont need to worry. just swap your dp back to stock before you go for your inspection. the catless dp is still made to not throw a cel....so you will just have 1 "not ready" status (which you can still pass with) as long as theres no cel (which there wont be).

all of this is assuming theres nothing else wrong with your car, which there shouldnt be.

hilty!!!

who did your brembo's?
heres a few closer pics. sorry to get off topic a lil but i figure it cant hurt since the sales over now anyway haha.

Last edited by hilty003; 06-14-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-14-2009, 07:58 PM

heres a few closer pics. sorry to get off topic a lil but i figure it cant hurt since the sales over now anyway haha.
Those look really great!... but you didn't answer the question...

I'd like to do something like that to mine someday.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:27 AM

Those look really great!... but you didn't answer the question...

I'd like to do something like that to mine someday.
thanks. i actually answered the question at the top of the page. and you should definitely do it. keeps them from rusting and it was really easy.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:30 AM

thanks. i actually answered the question at the top of the page. and you should definitely do it. keeps them from rusting and it was really easy.
Well, sure enough... completely missed that. Okay.

Yeah, I can't decide if I should go painted or powdercoated. I've got a friend that's good with powdercoating and is buying a larger oven to start doing rims in. The problem with calipers though is that you have to take them apart pretty much when you powercoat them.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:34 AM

Well, sure enough... completely missed that. Okay.

Yeah, I can't decide if I should go painted or powdercoated. I've got a friend that's good with powdercoating and is buying a larger oven to start doing rims in. The problem with calipers though is that you have to take them apart pretty much when you powercoat them.
yea im sure the powdercoat would be badass but i didnt even have to take the calipers off for this. it was a brush on kit so i just took the wheels off and had at it. still took about 4 hours caz i took my time tho and made sure it was perfect.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:38 AM

yea im sure the powdercoat would be badass but i didnt even have to take the calipers off for this. it was a brush on kit so i just took the wheels off and had at it. still took about 4 hours caz i took my time tho and made sure it was perfect.
I know right... being able to leave them on if you want is a big plus for painting them. They sure do look great. What kind of prep did you have to do? I'd wanna make sure that there wasn't any chipping in the near future after doing them of course.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 AM

I know right... being able to leave them on if you want is a big plus for painting them. They sure do look great. What kind of prep did you have to do? I'd wanna make sure that there wasn't any chipping in the near future after doing them of course.
only prep was cleaning them with brake cleaner. as long as their clean the paint sticks well. there was obviously no rust spots caz of how new they are. plus the g2 kit has a lifetime warranty against chips and flaking so if they ever would they send you a new kit for free, all you gotta do is send a pic of the flake/chip/peel. ive bought 2 g2 kits already and loved both.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be getting the KIT!!

What all comes with it?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 AM

I will be getting the KIT!!

What all comes with it?
umm it comes with the 2 part epoxy mix, a can of brake cleaner, a brush, a stirrer, and a sticker lol. its enough to put 2 coats on all 4 calipers even tho the box says it only does 2 calipers. ebay tho for sure.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:51 PM

I pulled the trigger today and decided to paint my calipers. I just went to the local parts store and got plasti-kote caliper paint. I ended up going with red. I think they look great. I only had time to do the fronts though. Ill have to do the rears later this week. Now the only thing is I have to hunt down brembo emblems for the front. Hilty, where did you get yours? I found some on ebay. What are the dimensions supposed to be?

Quick Reply: CIA Catted downpipe GB Feeler