2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

cross drilled slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geez, it's like every time you do a break job, you just bought a brand new WRX.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 AM

I've done a few panic stops with my cobalt with the r1 but there dimpled not fully drilled and I asked for minimal dimples. They stop great and I like the hps pads better than the ferraro's because they don't squeak and have way less brake dust. I think overall it's just a look. My cts-v(2011) came with blanks and they grab like crazy and have never faded on me and I've done a 290 panic stop just to see.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Frogstofall
Geez, it's like every time you do a break job, you just bought a brand new WRX.
Brake not break!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Yeah dude, every person who I have ever met that has bought drilled rotors and use them on the track has seen them crack. It's inevitable. But if you aren't going to drive it hard and just want the look, then they will do the trick.

Personally I like the Slotted Rotors. They are still solid with just some slits on the face to help "clean the pads" and "vent gasses" under hard driving. I think they look better than stock and they are actually functional. I got a set from Powerslot combined with some Carbotech AX6 pads (you could probably go to a XP8 or XP10 if you want) and they bite hard and don't fade on the track.
The last time I was on the track, my fluid boiled with Motul 600 DOT 4 Fluid. I since switched to DOT 5.1 Hopefully that problem won't happen again. But that was the only part that gave out. Not the rotors or pads.

I have a set of Hawk HPS when I'm driving around town, cuz after the Carbotech's seen the track they squeak like a ****.

The only disadvantage to Slotted rotors is you can't turn them. So if they warp, you pretty much have to buy new ones. Can't extend the life by turning them, even tho some would say, once they warp they are done regardess.

My next set will be some Cryo'd Slotted Rotors. Then I'll see if I can make them warp.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM

EBC, Stoptech and a few others makes slotted and drilled/dimpled rotors for the deltas but they are both crap in terms of performance. They will crack during autox or track events, not to mention they will chew up pads like crazy. Granted they may improve braking or initial bite, right up to the point they break and stop working, then you're in real trouble. I run Centric oem blank replacements with hawk hps pads for track use and stock oem pads on the street and they work fine. I'll be trying Carbotech pads this weekend so we'll see how they do on track as the hawk's hps kept heat cracking on me.
If you are out for the looks then buy w/e, if you serious about performance though stay off a drilled rotor unless you are going with a hardcore two piece set up like Powell Race shop has. 90% of the aftermarket brake out there are all about marketing and looking cool so know what you are really buying and why.