2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Digital Boost Guage question. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Boost Guage question. . . .

I'm looking for a boost gauge in digital that i can use on my car, and i came across the Autometer Digital Boost Gauge. <---- Clicky

Well, what i'm wondering is what it means by coming with a map sensor? Anyone have a picture of this, or an explanation of how i would use it without replacing the factory map sensor with it?

Please don't offer suggestion for other gauges unless you can answer what i'm asking in this post first. I don't think you should be recommending one product over another if you don't understand one of them.

Feel free to offer other recommendations if you can answer the question above though. Also, using the obd2 port is out of the question for a boost reading for me.

Thanks!

Nevermind. Found my answer in the instructional pdf.

Last edited by mr_buddha; 06-16-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It looks like this product was made for a first-time installation. When it says it comes with a MAP sensor... well.. it includes the sensor. The thing is we already have MAP/TMAP sensors in ours. Looking at the installation directions, they are wanting you to tee off of a vacuum line and stick their MAP sensor on there.

Since we already have a TMAP setup, maybe you could simply wire it in, or much better yet, buy a gauge that uses OBDII so you could just use the factory MAPs/bus to read the pressure that way.

The only problem with wiring it in to the existing sensors is that they may be calibrated differently than what this gauge reads.

The problems with installing the sensor that comes with this is that you'll need to try to make it fit in the current place of one of the MAPs (which it may not fit... and on top of that, your ECU needs them to operate correctly), or find a vacuum hose to tap... but then you'd have three MAP sensors or something like that.

I won't recommend a certain product, but I would recommend finding a gauge that reads what the current sensors in the car are saying, such as hooking up to the OBDII. That's what the ECU is seeing anyway too. Plus, the OBDII gauges tend to have many more useful functions to them too, since they're able to read many more things off of the OBDII and even reset CELs and such.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Banned

I stated i could not use the odb2 port for a reason.
I'm currently running a tune that allows more boost through a turbo swap while still using the factory sensors. The reading the computer is interpreting off those sensors is no longer accurate due to changing in the tune/programming how the computer measures voltage from those sensors.

That's why i need a new gauge.

I'm already working on a mounting point for this map sensor and possible going to grab this gauge.

Anyone have another digital gauge capable of reading boost that doesn't use the obd2 port?

Thanks for the info/help Stamina!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No prob.

Well that makes much more sense then, ok. Yeah, sorry I forgot about the OBDII thing you said. Also, don't forget that those instructions said to mount that MAP with pressure point facing down...

Have you thought about just using an old-fashioned pneumatic gauge? That will take out the MAP completely. You'd then just run a hose to a gauge and call it a day.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

I thought about that, but i'm wanting to get down to the tenths of accuracy. Possibly looking at having a dual purpose out of this gauge later on where i'll need to use it to dial in pressure seen after a pressure regulator.

I may have found my cheap-o gauge to use, i just need to find it somewhere cheaper.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd332.htm