2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

ESC (Electronic Stability Control)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ESC (Electronic Stability Control)

I always turn ESC and traction off when i get in the car but i wonder if ESC is ever really disabled or if it is just less sensitive when it's set to off. The reason i say this is I had it kick on after disabling it the other day .

I was WOT in 2nd and must have hit a slick spot in the road ( or someone leaked something) cause the car spun the tires so easily that it almost felt like ice ..... but I look down and it said ESC active , so it leads me to believe that we cant disable it completely . Any one have any experience with this? Opinions welcome.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM

Regular Mode - ESC will come on right before you are about to under or oversteer, traction on
Competition Mode - ESC will come on after you have started to under or oversteer "a fair bit", Traction Control Off
ESC Off - ESC will not come on, Traction Control will not come on

Make sure you are holding it for 10 seconds, till it says ESC OFF
Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM

When you turn it off, do you hold it for about 10 seconds and then it says that it ESC off?

I run this way most of the time too, and I have not had this problem. I take corners fast, and had it turn on in comp mode, but not in ESC off mode.

This is interesting if you have noticed this.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had it close the throttle on me when the tires slip in third, even ESC OFF. Never 1st or second, but it will in third. Similar situation as yours they broke loose in third and the throttle closed on damp roads. I could repeat it as many times as I wanted but I don't recall ever seeing the display say it was active.

I was logging in HPT at the time and it was as regular as clockwork. 300% load, tires spun, throttle closed. Tried it about 5 times to convince myself.

I don't think the nanny ever leaves.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel some form of traction control or load limiting while driving on track. It kicks in only in third gear, slower speeds, where I'm likely to accelerate faster and spin the tires a little bit. Another instructor noticed it too, while he was driving my car on track. Yes, ESC was off.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 PM

Is there a way to program these features? I like to use comp mode when the track is wet or slippery.

Default to be Comp Mode and push it twice for everything off would be great...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
I feel some form of traction control or load limiting while driving on track. It kicks in only in third gear, slower speeds, where I'm likely to accelerate faster and spin the tires a little bit. Another instructor noticed it too, while he was driving my car on track. Yes, ESC was off.
ABS/TCS/ESC
– Addition of “Competitive” mode
– Nurburgring tuned ESC for competitive driving
– In Competitive mode: TCS is turned off and adjusts ESC
parameters to allow aggressive driving while still providing
stability control if needed

Brake Limited Differential
– Active any time TCS is not (“TCS OFF”, “Comp Mode”, “ESC
Off”)
– Maintains wheel velocities across driven axle so that torque is
distributed effectively to driven wheels

Powerhop Control
– ABS/ESC controller monitors wheel slip to detect powerhop
oscillation
– Torque is controlled to prevent powerhop in all ESC modes

From GM....
Old 09-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by G Speed
ABS/TCS/ESC
– Addition of “Competitive” mode
– Nurburgring tuned ESC for competitive driving
– In Competitive mode: TCS is turned off and adjusts ESC
parameters to allow aggressive driving while still providing
stability control if needed

Brake Limited Differential
– Active any time TCS is not (“TCS OFF”, “Comp Mode”, “ESC
Off”)
– Maintains wheel velocities across driven axle so that torque is
distributed effectively to driven wheels

Powerhop Control
– ABS/ESC controller monitors wheel slip to detect powerhop
oscillation
– Torque is controlled to prevent powerhop in all ESC modes

From GM....

Nanny never sleeps!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by venom09
Is there a way to program these features? I like to use comp mode when the track is wet or slippery.

Default to be Comp Mode and push it twice for everything off would be great...
No, this isn't something controlled by the PCM. It's a different module.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
Nanny never sleeps!
but the BLD in most cases should not work if car has LSD... and for the powerhop it says in all esc modes.. but if ESC is off.. then???
Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 PM

Mine still nanny's the accel in third ESC OFF. Off is still an ESC mode.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by G Speed
Regular Mode - ESC will come on right before you are about to under or oversteer, traction on
Competition Mode - ESC will come on after you have started to under or oversteer "a fair bit", Traction Control Off
ESC Off - ESC will not come on, Traction Control will not come on

Make sure you are holding it for 10 seconds, till it says ESC OFF
ESC was definitely off at the time . I've seen it in 3rd gear as well but thought it was odd that it did it in 2nd. I've spun the tires in 2nd a bunch of times but never had ESC kick in until now. Maybe it was because the fronts were spinning so much faster than the back wheels ....usually when i spin in 2nd the speeds of the two are alot closer than in this instance.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 PM

I don't get why ESC is coming on, it should be traction control when wheel spin comes into play...
Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM

No i think you guys have a fluke problem, many times on the freeway in rain ive spun the tires for multiple seconds in third and fourth

Esc Off

Last edited by 09whteSSpssssh; 09-03-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-03-2010, 01:49 PM

Strange symptom having it come on when it's OFF.
I autocrossed my car and purposefully turned it off so I could get the car to rotate (rear end slide around) when I manipulated it a certain way. Typically it was under braking where I would have the weight and attitude of the car such that when I slightly applied brake pressure it would bring the rear around. Sometimes I could do it by simply lifting if it was a sweeper and I was carrying enough speed.
NEVER in any of those situations did my ESC come on or indicate that it was trying to save me.

My guess is you're either simply going into Comp mode (which doesn't turn it off) or you're not holding down long enough on it to turn it off. Every time you restart the car it resets and you have to hold it down for another 10 seconds or so to shut it off.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:53 PM

This /\ , coming into turns late and bringing the ass out in this car with Esc Off ive never had it kick in.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:36 PM

here's another example... ESC OFF... Heavy Rain - 185kph.... could feel my fronts start to loss traction... but never did esc come on.....
Old 09-03-2010, 04:23 PM

Jesus christ. This is why the internet sucks. We're only talking about when ESC is fully off, and when you are on the throttle. There is no interference when you're braking. That's just ABS, because the engine is not under power. Not talking about comp mode. Not talking about TCS off mode. I'm talking about when you hold the button down for a few seconds, and it flashes ESC off.

You can happily break the tires loose with ESC off, but there are certain conditions, like if you're coming out of a turn, and you have the car very heavily loaded up, if it hits certain load levels, it will cut power a little. It feels like you lift off the throttle by a hair, and then get right back on it.

I have it happen again and again at the exact same point on track. Around 3:47 in this video:
YouTube - Trackdaze 8-26, VIR Full, 09 Cobalt SS TC

There's another spot too, but I don't recall exactly at what point after exiting turn 1/2. It happens when I go full throttle there too. It's the slow turns. Never happens in the high speed stuff.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 09whteSSpssssh
No i think you guys have a fluke problem, many times on the freeway in rain ive spun the tires for multiple seconds in third and fourth

Esc Off
No, mine does the same if it spins hard in 3rd it closes the throttle even with the ESC completely off. Mine has done this 4 times to me.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Buzz65
Strange symptom having it come on when it's OFF.
I autocrossed my car and purposefully turned it off so I could get the car to rotate (rear end slide around) when I manipulated it a certain way. Typically it was under braking where I would have the weight and attitude of the car such that when I slightly applied brake pressure it would bring the rear around. Sometimes I could do it by simply lifting if it was a sweeper and I was carrying enough speed.
NEVER in any of those situations did my ESC come on or indicate that it was trying to save me.

My guess is you're either simply going into Comp mode (which doesn't turn it off) or you're not holding down long enough on it to turn it off. Every time you restart the car it resets and you have to hold it down for another 10 seconds or so to shut it off.

I know how to shut ESC off ....... It's the 2nd thing i do after the car starts.......everytime . 1st is turn off auto lights . I know for a fact that ESC was shut off the 2 times i had it come on when spinning the tires .
Old 09-08-2010, 03:04 PM

Wierd I have not expierenced this yet and I have gotten way loose at high speeds ******* around on turns. I'm gonna go play some today and see if I can recreate waht you guys are getting. Ive never been under throttle with esc-off and had it cut power.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Wait how do you even turn ESC off? im lost :S
Old 09-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Hold the traction control button for 8 secs it should flash ESC OFF on your digital dash display(little display right above your steering wheel column)
Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by 09whteSSpssssh
Hold the traction control button for 8 secs it should flash ESC OFF on your digital dash display(little display right above your steering wheel column)
Really now? I will try this as soon as I get off work haha
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Lol wow man you have been missing out

Quick Reply: ESC (Electronic Stability Control)