2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Hahns PPC tuner or HP Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahns PPC tuner or HP Tuner

Which tunning software should I get, I am looking at this as the first step into getting my 08 SS/TC pumped up and am not sure on what tunning software to get and where I would beable to get already setup tunes so I can load and get going instead of trying to figure out my own tune.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Hahn PPC Tuner is a "already set-up" tune.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:11 PM

big power = hp tuners / canned tune = hahn...

hp tuners= cheaper and can be used on other vehicles

hahn = loot and is vehicle specific

hp tuners = requires notebook to tune

hahn = dont really need a pc

hp tuners = my vote

hahn is cool and is similar to a cobb tune, but hp tuners is fine tuning..
if you want to learn how to tune and do it yourself and understand the process then hp all the way

if you want quick and easy go hahn
hp tuners may result in more power in the long run and you can mix parts and dont have to buy hahn specific parts for the tune to be good

you can load other peoples tunes with hp tuners to give you a basemap but every car is different
Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 PM

HP TUNERS.... SERIOUSLY no question!

$1000 bucks or $500 and do it over and over and over again!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madlion

hp tuners = my vote

if you want to learn how to tune and do it yourself and understand the process then hp all the way

hp tuners may result in more power in the long run and you can mix parts and dont have to buy hahn specific parts for the tune to be good

you can load other peoples tunes with hp tuners to give you a basemap but every car is different

Hahn PPC is similar to the Cobb Accessport but the accessport can be custom tuned which is a plus and it only cost $599.00. The one thing that keeps getting in the way of getting the PPC is price and the fact that you cant custom tune it.

As for Hp tuners, its a good thing but you have to remember is only as good as the tuner..... And here in the DC metro area no one seems to tune with them, it would be less expensive for me to fly out Psykosteve(?) to tune my car feed him lunch, pay him and send him on his happy way.

Hmmmmmmmmm........ That sounds like a plan....
Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 PM

Well I think I am leaning towards HP Tuners but is there a place where there is a shared files source where I can pull other peoples tunes and load them into my car, and if so where.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:53 PM

hp tuners has a forum along with this site
Old 11-06-2008, 12:56 PM

no contest. hptuners is the ****
Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by madlion

hp tuners = my vote

hahn = less power really broad statement. Thats why I'm running 25 psi of boost all the time breaking tires loose in third gear and bsr has been doing tunes on the LNF what six years longer than anyone else and has more unlocked also. You dont see me knocking hp tunes depends on what the guys goal is what hp gains are there from what is out there not much cai, 3in exhaust very small if any , downpipe maybe 15 hp if his plan is a larger turbo or something then yes perhaps. I dont like hahn's bsr to pe put down when I'm very happy with mine maybe it's partly the altitude out here but mine kicks ass.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:44 PM

If you have the knowledge of the software and tuning and the computer/dyno time, then do hp tuners

If you have a friend local who has hp tuners and knows what they are doing, then go hp tuners.

if none of the above apply, then go bsr, true plug and play simplicity.

As jarhead said, it makes alot of power, but will run a safe tune and maybe will not get the absolute peak hp "dyno queen" numbers others have posted, but it gets the job done safely.

Besides the bsr or hptuners and a good IC will prob max out the stock tiny trbo anyway, most guys are arounf 290 to 300 wheel which is about all this stocker will support efficiently.

Only drawback now is that the BSR canned tune is made for a stock car, so if you plan any exhaust or intake upgrades down the road, I would buy all you plan on getting, bolt them on and then have someone hp tune the car with all the upgrades in place, so its a 1 time shot,

otherwise if you have someone hp tune the car stock, and then you add stuff down the road, you will have to repay them to retune again for those upgrades.

Right now the PPC has no ability to support any major(cat delete downpipe/intake/upgraded turbo) upgrades until BSR would come out with a stage 2 tune which you can download off their website.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:10 PM

well your sol when you need to upgrade that turbo using hahns ppc. sure you can buy a hahn specific turbo which they may tune for and release an update. my problem with ppcs is that all cars are different, a canned tune does NOT do a GOOD job at addressing this issue like a TUNER would! im not trashing hahns tune but every car is different id rather have a tune specific on the parts i have then using a can tune. lets say hahn has 4 diff downloads for the ppc. one requires a hahn downpipe and a hahn intercooler and a hahn exhaust and a hahn intercooler. What if i have a synapsis turbo top mount exhaust manifold???????? what if i have a greddy intercooler?? those parts have different specifications thus not making it optimum for my vehicle because the parameters are different then what the hahn ppc tune is looking for due to different manufacturers parts. then what if i have more air moving through the engine.. the ecu can adjust a little bit to compensate but not much. because i have different parts i maybe running a little rich or lean because my parts arent from hahn and have diff parameters..timing may be cut.. along with other issues

now lets say i have hp tuners... i can address whatever issue is causing the misfire or lean/rich conditions because the map is editable unlike hahns ppc.

what if i want a street tune instead of a dyno tune?? well with hp tuners i can fix that easy. with hahn im pretty much stuck with what they want to give me...

if hahn had more options like the cobb access port id say its a simple easy way to get a decent tune. for now its 1000 dollars when compared to 600 for hp tuners. and you can edit tons of values with hp tuners. not all parameters are editable infact hp tuners still has a way to go before im 100% happy with it. launch control parameters..etc.

if you plan on using any parts which arent on hahns approved list then i would suggest hp tuners.

additionally, weather and altitude play a part in the tune. the ppc tune can take into account a little differentiation/variation but not like a tuner could
Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by jarhead
hahn = less power really broad statement. Thats why I'm running 25 psi of boost all the time breaking tires loose in third gear and bsr has been doing tunes on the LNF what six years longer than anyone else and has more unlocked also. You dont see me knocking hp tunes depends on what the guys goal is what hp gains are there from what is out there not much cai, 3in exhaust very small if any , downpipe maybe 15 hp if his plan is a larger turbo or something then yes perhaps. I dont like hahn's bsr to pe put down when I'm very happy with mine maybe it's partly the altitude out here but mine kicks ass.
It sounds like...
1) You've never used HPT
2) You bought the PPC before HPT fully supported the LNF

Sorry you didn't wait... but it's been proven time and time again that a properly dialed tune is far better than a canned tune.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:46 PM

Same problem I'm having. I dont know **** about HPT, and I've used tuners like the PPC before, I have used the SCT tuner before.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:03 PM

im going hpt soon. i figure someone out there would share a conservative tune until i learn the ropes.. that would really not be much different then going with a ppc tune