2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

help! newb problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help! newb problem

I currently live in mobile, alabama..Anyone near please let me know. I have contacted every gm performance dealer within a 10 hr drive. Not one of these dealers have done the gms1 upgrade for the turbo or any other cobalt ss. The few that would try to work with me are asking for 4+ labor hrs plus full retail for the parts... Is this crazy or just me? I got the car for the wife b/c of the aftermarket factory parts(and keep the warranty). I run 5 dealerships IT dept. ( all german cars) So like most of you guys I know when a dealership is trying to rape me. The car is a 09 with 10k on it.. I have contacted the southeastern service manager for GM and he was no help. I also contacted GM performance and they could at least sale me the part at dealer cost but then the dealership won't install it. Is there other things besides the parts that need to be done? B/c I could install it myself if not. I don't really care about the warranty but GM will void the whole thing if I chip it, even if its something non-related to the powertrain. What do you guys suggest? I would like to give it a little more power b/c right now my mini cooper s has more power to the wheels and the ss should out run me with no problems. So.... besides waiting for the warranty to end what should I do? Thanks and yes am a newb to this site so please don't just tell me to search.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zer0g5
I currently live in mobile, alabama..Anyone near please let me know. I have contacted every gm performance dealer within a 10 hr drive. Not one of these dealers have done the gms1 upgrade for the turbo or any other cobalt ss. The few that would try to work with me are asking for 4+ labor hrs plus full retail for the parts... Is this crazy or just me? I got the car for the wife b/c of the aftermarket factory parts(and keep the warranty). I run 5 dealerships IT dept. ( all german cars) So like most of you guys I know when a dealership is trying to rape me. The car is a 09 with 10k on it.. I have contacted the southeastern service manager for GM and he was no help. I also contacted GM performance and they could at least sale me the part at dealer cost but then the dealership won't install it. Is there other things besides the parts that need to be done? B/c I could install it myself if not. I don't really care about the warranty but GM will void the whole thing if I chip it, even if its something non-related to the powertrain. What do you guys suggest? I would like to give it a little more power b/c right now my mini cooper s has more power to the wheels and the ss should out run me with no problems. So.... besides waiting for the warranty to end what should I do? Thanks and yes am a newb to this site so please don't just tell me to search.
Get a custom hidden switchable Trifecta tune, Their has been alot of issues with GMS1 with shitty tech not wiring the MAP's correctly and causing loss of boost and you will have more power with a custom tune. It has been tested that if a GM Tech2 is connected to the car it will show a stock flash.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:19 PM

To bad you weren't in Northern Alabama, I had mine done at my local dealer, 1st LNF powered vehicle the ever did the gms1, haven't had no problems since. I sent another guy from another forum to my dealer also and as far as I know everything has been good.

Have you checked the dealerships in Montegomery?

Originally Posted by RYRO14
Get a custom hidden switchable Trifecta tune, Their has been alot of issues with GMS1 with shitty tech not wiring the MAP's correctly and causing loss of boost and you will have more power with a custom tune. It has been tested that if a GM Tech2 is connected to the car it will show a stock flash.
Not true anymore, there is some kind of bulletin out at dealerships to check for the Trifecta tunes more in depth if the car has any aftermarket modifications, as a matter of fact a board member here from Alabama had a problem with his transmission. He took the car in and he found out from the dealership, a regional GM rep came in and checked his tune more in depth on his car (they had already checked it with a Tech 2 when he first took it in and before the Rep ever came). Lucky for him he uses a spare ECU to switch between his Trifecta and GM tune.

Last edited by HHRSSouth; 07-07-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-07-2010, 09:24 PM

I called Montegomery and they said hadn't done one yet... but was willing to help. They where one of the ones that would do it with 4 hrs and 650 for the part.. Who did you work with? maybe I talk to the wrong guy.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 PM

I live waaay up north by Huntsville in Athens, about 6-7 hrs away.
Find a Chevy dealership with a reputable service department (ask some of the local Chevy guys) and you should be good to go. If they don't sound confident in being able to do it, I sure wouldn't take it to that one. When I asked my local Chevy service manager if he could install it, he didn't even hesitate, said it would be no problem and would stick his best tech on it
2hr install charge (which was acceptable by me since it was the first time they installed it).
Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 AM

i live in mobile but i had mine done in biloxi MS because the dealers around here didnt want anything to do with it. i think they charged around three hundred and took about 3.5 hours to install but i would look into it more cause ive had mine about 4000 miles and starting to run into major problems now just to warn you but they did a nice job for the install. the dealer was Preston Hood by the way
Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
or as many have done, order the kit from Crate Engine Depot, install sensors yourself or a tech you trust, then limp the car to the dealership, give them the paperwork and tell them to upload the tune to the car. 30 minutes of work for them.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Install the sensors yourself and safe most of the money. Just have them flash the car. You still keep the warranty this way.

I have never installed the sensors before but if theirs directions than it cant be that hard!