2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

hp tuners

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
hp tuners

so besides power, and getting better tuners to tune me, and all that, what benefits are there to hp tunes? is there stuff like select a tune? has anyone tried doing that with hp, cause if trifecta can so should hp be able to. u know ect ect, hp tuners is 500 bucks plus price of remote tune. someone sell it to me, not actually, but convince me why I should get it. I wanna know just how worth it it is. im on trifecta now, possibly getting zfr soon and obviously have to buy new tune, so I wanna know if its worth my money. btw I have had no issues with trifecta on 22 psi tune, im mostly on stock tune, but it pulls good, no knock, its a little rich for my liking, and fuel trims with this k&n intake are a little high. like 8-10 in this cold. summer usually 7-8 for long, around 0 for short.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
just buy it lol.
i bought it pre owned. all 09 unlocked which was worthless to me. i have an 07. you can pretty much get remote tuned to your liking and with the zfr it will make tuning easier IF you have no tuners near u.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K. Trifecta has the dual select a tune. You can flash a car trifecta and write over it with hptuners, keeping two hptunes.

I'm not a fan of trifecta for a few reasons. How can you get your car to dial in perfectly using just a few logs? It's impossible. Advantages of Hptuners - especially if you do it yourself or a close friend does it - your fuel trims and everything can be dialed in more closely to what the car needs. The advantages - a safer tune and more power.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

hmm both good points. but isn't trifecta locked so u cant tune over with hp tuners. cause id like to keep the select a tune if I could.

Originally Posted by Bass_Waves
just buy it lol.
i bought it pre owned. all 09 unlocked which was worthless to me. i have an 07. you can pretty much get remote tuned to your liking and with the zfr it will make tuning easier IF you have no tuners near u.
mine is 09 can I buy urs lol

Last edited by tomj77; 01-08-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You can't adjust Vince's tunes with HPT. He has his own proprietary operating system. I own both a Trifecta ECM and an HPT ECM along with HPT software. I've been using both for years. You really only need HPT if you're going to tweak your tunes yourself or if you have a good relationship with a tuner. Trifecta works fine for just general-purpose driving and having a good time on the street. HPT is for logging and getting everything out of your car by continually updating the tune for fuel or weather conditions. I drove around with the E47 tune for about a year then switched back to the good old Trifecta dual-tune, so that my wife could borrow my car and not have to worry about mixing fuel. I intended to go back to the E47 tune, but never did. It has been about 4 months. Do I get more power from the HPT E47 tune? Yes. Do I really NEED it? No.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Sounds like a good argument. Would be annoying always adjusting tune. Especially in Canada lol. I have had no issue with trifecta , just wish it be a little leaner.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
So if I want a hp tune, do I need to buy the software? Plan on being remote tuned.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Yes for remote tune

Unless u know someone close with it

Last edited by tomj77; 01-21-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-21-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tomj77
Yes for remote tune

Unless u know someone close with it
No I dont know anyone with hp tuners in my area. So when getting tuned what needs to be sent between me and the tuner? This stuff was never clear to me in other threads. Do we just exchange tune files via email or do I send all the software? How much do tuners usually charge? All info would be great for an explanation of how the whole remote tuning process works.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by raver0789
K. Trifecta has the dual select a tune. You can flash a car trifecta and write over it with hptuners, keeping two hptunes.

I'm not a fan of trifecta for a few reasons. How can you get your car to dial in perfectly using just a few logs? It's impossible. Advantages of Hptuners - especially if you do it yourself or a close friend does it - your fuel trims and everything can be dialed in more closely to what the car needs. The advantages - a safer tune and more power.
You cannot flash trifecta on a tc then flash hp tuners on top of it and keep the select a tune.

Trifecta is just as reliable as hp tuners all day. Fuel trims NEVER are 100% on any car due to variable factors (air temp, humidity, elevation, engine temp etc etc etc)

Don't spread bullshit.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by m33pm33p
Don't spread bullshit.
You have two bad quotes in your sig that spread bullshit. Horsepower does win races, and while some of us realize your other quote is sarcastic, not everyone knows that.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 AM

Op, vince has tuned several zfr turbos and I have yet to see one Blow up or have problems and one is driven pretty hard. If your that worried get your zfr and have vince tune it and see how you like it. IMO if your gonna go from trifecta to HPT on stock turbo it isnt worth it for a little bit more HP unless your switching fuel. As far as the logging goes vince sent me a dozen or more revision tunes, Im not gonna lie it took a while to get my car "dialed in" and running nice to me, but my LNF isnt my DD. If I get my car retuned with HPT i will never get remote tuned again through email and logs. Im gonna get dyno tuned.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
There are reputable tuners on here that i think trifecta is the lazy route to take .. Do some research and find some tuners and see what they have to offer
Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by EFoxwell
You have two bad quotes in your sig that spread bullshit. Horsepower does win races, and while some of us realize your other quote is sarcastic, not everyone knows that.
Don't be stupid, anyone with half a brain knows:

POWER (the rate of doing WORK) is dependent on TORQUE and RPM.
TORQUE and RPM are the MEASURED quantities of engine output.
POWER is CALCULATED from torque and RPM, by the following equation:

HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

regardless of where the quote came from.

My second quote, well that was just to annoy css3 because he was such a raging retard.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by BlackARCA06
Op, vince has tuned several zfr turbos and I have yet to see one Blow up or have problems and one is driven pretty hard. If your that worried get your zfr and have vince tune it and see how you like it. IMO if your gonna go from trifecta to HPT on stock turbo it isnt worth it for a little bit more HP unless your switching fuel. As far as the logging goes vince sent me a dozen or more revision tunes, Im not gonna lie it took a while to get my car "dialed in" and running nice to me, but my LNF isnt my DD. If I get my car retuned with HPT i will never get remote tuned again through email and logs. Im gonna get dyno tuned.
Yet I had a local who just did a ZFR swap come begging me to tune him with HP Tuners as Vince (Trifecta) had taken weeks to get back to him with a revision.

It had gotten so bad that after spending thousands of dollars on his car he was unable to drive it and when he did drive it (to get it home from the shop) he ended up saturating his oil with gas as he was running so rich.

Just a little heads up towards how long it took to get your LNF tuned, it takes me about 5 minutes to make a file, and 3 30 minute sessions of logging to get everything dialed in perfectly.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by yellowsupercharged06
There are reputable tuners on here that i think trifecta is the lazy route to take .. Do some research and find some tuners and see what they have to offer
Trifecta is just that, the lazy route! Think of Trifecta of the big corporation that doesn't really care about their customers, they have one mind set which is to make money and they have a big enough user base right now that they just do whatever the **** they want to do.

HP Tuners are more personable, it's a individual that's tuning you, not a company. We care about your car and want to dial in everything so it can run it's best because we want to get our name out there and we want to get some more business in.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Iv had no issues with trifecta , Vince always tuned me pretty quick, everything dialed in, and answered every question I had in detail, he mad time for me so so far I'm ok with him. But I sure would like a list of guys who hp tune. Write ur names down if u do, if no one is gonna make a sticky I will
Old 01-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

Where bouts in Canada are you? West coast or east coast?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 PM

If you are in Canada I can hook you up with my tuner. PM me if interested.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can a person run on 1 HPT tune all year round? Or do you have to have have 2 (summer,winter)?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by StruttinSoul
Where bouts in Canada are you? West coast or east coast?
Literally right dead center . In Manitoba.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by raver0789
If you are in Canada I can hook you up with my tuner. PM me if interested.
I'd remote tune if anything. But I got no hp tuners now, first comes turbo. I just want a list so people know where to go to ask I'll make a thread I think to get the names
Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yet I had a local who just did a ZFR swap come begging me to tune him with HP Tuners as Vince (Trifecta) had taken weeks to get back to him with a revision.

It had gotten so bad that after spending thousands of dollars on his car he was unable to drive it and when he did drive it (to get it home from the shop) he ended up saturating his oil with gas as he was running so rich.

Just a little heads up towards how long it took to get your LNF tuned, it takes me about 5 minutes to make a file, and 3 30 minute sessions of logging to get everything dialed in perfectly.
While I have seen plenty of sketchy trifecta stock turbo tunes, and a very sketchy zfr trifecta tune, so I can absolutely agree with you there. I do however hope the last part of your post is sarcasm.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:44 PM

Wow, thats BS.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be fair he was going through WOT tuning, which other locals have had **** luck with, and he was talking to some guy named steve or something, not vince. me and a few other locals have had no problems with bad news racing.

sometimes its the middle man thats shitting the bed, not the big guy.