LNF "Rebuild" - Cobalt SS Network



2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.
Technical Discussions ONLY!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-09-17
Location: Texas
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LNF "Rebuild"

Ok so here's my situation. Owned the car for almost 9 months and it went down about two months ago. Long story short, the car needs pistons and turbo. Turbo seal is slightly blown and exhaust side is cracked. I'm gonna go with weisco pistons and the ecotec connecting rods, super tech valve springs, the oversized valves for intake and exhaust valves and in the market for a turbo. I already know the EFR is the turbo I want. Seems like it will hold the power I want safely with these supporting mods. Already purchased zzp down pipe with cali cat, injen intake and intercooler pipes, treadstone tr8 intercooler and rocking dual aeroforce and stock boost gauge. Is there anything worthwhile running besides the efr. Seems like it is the smartest choice for power and it claims bolt on but I feel like something is missing. Just a heads up I've been looking at builds and information for months now on this forum. I'd just like to see if anyone is running the setup similar and if so what am I missing besides change the fuel pump and running e85 and cams. Any info is cool. Thanks.
Scubasteve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
SuperMod
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,208
Thanked 80 Times in 70 Posts
If I was you I'd also get a gen3 block. The lnf block is prone to porus block and I wouldn't waste a penny building it. Gen3 is ldk sand cast block and stronger.
tomj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
Member
 
FLASH1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-11
Location: Lake Geneva Wi
Posts: 329
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
what are the goals and budget? why is the rebuild in quotes? what clutch are you running? what trans is in your car?

im not sure, but will the tr8 be enough to keep the charge cool without heatsoaking?
FLASH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-09-17
Location: Texas
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I'll have to take a look at the ldk. I haven't even looked into that. Thanks for that info

The rebuild is in parenthesis cause it's not or a full rebuild to me for the fact that I am still stock everything when it comes to the transmission. Budget is 4-5k and I'm not really sure about the heat soak. My car stays pretty cool on the stock turbo. Would you have any recommendations? I feel the tr8 will be good enough to keep up with the upgrades I want. Then again I've never ran anything by stock turbo. My goal is a safe 400 whp dd that isn't gonna die on me so I'm just trying to run good Parts and collect some opinions and knowledge from you OG's

Last edited by Scubasteve88; 01-09-2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Scubasteve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-09-17
Location: Texas
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The GEN 3 lnf is compatiable with all the missing parts that it doesn't come with?? Like the rest of my engine can complete it if I buy gen 3? Or will I need to buy all new parts to complete it?
Scubasteve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #6
Platinum Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Slowbalt2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-15-11
Location: Franklin, TN & Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 19,516
Thanked 140 Times in 131 Posts
Exhaust housing always cracks
Slowbalt2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #7
SuperMod
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,208
Thanked 80 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve88 View Post
The GEN 3 lnf is compatiable with all the missing parts that it doesn't come with?? Like the rest of my engine can complete it if I buy gen 3? Or will I need to buy all new parts to complete it?
I believe its all the same. someone correct me if I'm wrong.
tomj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #8
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-09-17
Location: Texas
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000 View Post
Exhaust housing always cracks
Dang that sucks
Scubasteve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #9
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-09-17
Location: Texas
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj77 View Post
I believe its all the same. someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Cool thanks! What's your opinion on the ldk long block zzp offers?? Any good or stay away?? Says block is capeable of 500 to the wheels which is more then what I need.
Scubasteve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #10
Platinum Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 16,076
Thanked 211 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve88 View Post
Ok I'll have to take a look at the ldk. I haven't even looked into that. Thanks for that info

The rebuild is in parenthesis cause it's not or a full rebuild to me for the fact that I am still stock everything when it comes to the transmission. Budget is 4-5k and I'm not really sure about the heat soak. My car stays pretty cool on the stock turbo. Would you have any recommendations? I feel the tr8 will be good enough to keep up with the upgrades I want. Then again I've never ran anything by stock turbo. My goal is a safe 400 whp dd that isn't gonna die on me so I'm just trying to run good Parts and collect some opinions and knowledge from you OG's
I have a used TR8 kit if you're interested PM me. If you are going bigger than stock turbo I strongly recommend upgrading the intercooler. The stock intercooler is fine for a stock turbo, start going larger and the temps will rise quickly.
ECaulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
Member
 
FLASH1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-11
Location: Lake Geneva Wi
Posts: 329
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve88 View Post
Cool thanks! What's your opinion on the ldk long block zzp offers?? Any good or stay away?? Says block is capeable of 500 to the wheels which is more then what I need.
it says the BLOCK is good for 500whp... not the rotating assembly in the block. I believe they rate that at 400whp.

I just finished doing an engine swap on my car. there's a thread on here where I posted some pics and info. any questions about the swap, let me know.
FLASH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #12
Member
 
FLASH1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-11
Location: Lake Geneva Wi
Posts: 329
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve88 View Post
The rebuild is in parenthesis cause it's not or a full rebuild to me for the fact that I am still stock everything when it comes to the transmission.
I thought maybe you were just going to check the bores and if they're good, throw some new pistons and rings in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve88 View Post
The GEN 3 lnf is compatiable with all the missing parts that it doesn't come with?? Like the rest of my engine can complete it if I buy gen 3? Or will I need to buy all new parts to complete it?
the Gen 3 longblock is compatible with all your LNF stuff. you'll just have to unbolt it from the old engine and bolt it to the new one.
FLASH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #13
SuperMod
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,208
Thanked 80 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH1970 View Post
it says the BLOCK is good for 500whp... not the rotating assembly in the block. I believe they rate that at 400whp.

I just finished doing an engine swap on my car. there's a thread on here where I posted some pics and info. any questions about the swap, let me know.
The rods at good for up to 400 the crank is good to like probably 1000. Maybe not that much but they are strong.
tomj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
Member
 
FLASH1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-11
Location: Lake Geneva Wi
Posts: 329
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj77 View Post
The rods at good for up to 400 the crank is good to like probably 1000. Maybe not that much but they are strong.
yeah, I could have been more specific. pistons are cast hypereutectic (yes, I had to google how to spell that) units. the rods are powdered metal forged rods. crank should be good for whatever you can throw at it.
FLASH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #15
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 11,024
Thanked 53 Times in 46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000 View Post
Exhaust housing always cracks
The crack in the exhaust is normal. We all have it. Not going to hurt performance or cause a leak.
CudaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #16
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 11,024
Thanked 53 Times in 46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH1970 View Post
what are the goals and budget? why is the rebuild in quotes? what clutch are you running? what trans is in your car?

im not sure, but will the tr8 be enough to keep the charge cool without heatsoaking?
TR8 will be fine. They are rated to 600 hp.
CudaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #17
Member
 
FLASH1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-11
Location: Lake Geneva Wi
Posts: 329
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CudaJoe View Post
TR8 will be fine. They are rated to 600 hp.
thought I saw 500 and the TR10 was 660. I just not sure how much an EFR would put out. if the OP is talking about oversized valves, springs, rods, pistons, e85, cams... if he wants e85 with all those spendy bits in the engine, it tells me he wants to run a good amount of boost and timing which could go over 500hp and heatsoak the intercooler given his location.

Last edited by FLASH1970; 01-10-2017 at 11:51 AM.
FLASH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #18
SuperMod
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,208
Thanked 80 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH1970 View Post
yeah, I could have been more specific. pistons are cast hypereutectic (yes, I had to google how to spell that) units. the rods are powdered metal forged rods. crank should be good for whatever you can throw at it.
They should have left that powdered metal idea on the drawing board
tomj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #19
Member
 
FLASH1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-11
Location: Lake Geneva Wi
Posts: 329
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj77 View Post
They should have left that powdered metal idea on the drawing board
yeah, but then again, it holds all that plus more that GM intended the engine to be used for. Ford (international technically) also used powdered metal rods in 00-04 7.3 powerstrokes and im sure many other companies have done so as well.
FLASH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: 07-01-12
Location: NC
Posts: 360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH1970 View Post
Ford (international technically) also used powdered metal rods in 00-04 7.3 powerstrokes
Not entirely true. Model year 2000 7.3L got forged rods. The motor in my truck can take a good bit more boost than the PMR engines.
Solaris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #21
Member
 
FLASH1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-11
Location: Lake Geneva Wi
Posts: 329
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris99 View Post
Not entirely true. Model year 2000 7.3L got forged rods. The motor in my truck can take a good bit more boost than the PMR engines.
dang it, I KNEW someone would point that out. lol. they switched mid year to the powdered rods. ive seen people report both types of rods in their 00 trucks.
FLASH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: 07-01-12
Location: NC
Posts: 360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH1970 View Post
dang it, I KNEW someone would point that out. lol. they switched mid year to the powdered rods. ive seen people report both types of rods in their 00 trucks.
I thought the split year was in 2001. Anyway, it makes no difference for even +100HP tunes. It's when you want to make really big leaps in power that it matters.
Solaris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #23
SuperMod
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 07-14-08
Location: canada
Posts: 11,208
Thanked 80 Times in 70 Posts
So why exactly do they put these rods in? Cheaper for them, stronger in theory for the motor?at least thats how they sell it to the customer who gets an inferior rod for the same price for the truck.
tomj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: 07-01-12
Location: NC
Posts: 360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's just a cheaper part that can still exceed the needs of the application. There's no need to use such an expensive part that can handle a +150% power gain when a cheaper part is still good for +50%. The rod is only inferior when you go far beyond what the engine was originally meant to do.
Solaris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #25
2008 SS/TC
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: 01-21-11
Location: Lochbuie, Colorado
Posts: 9,833
Thanked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Why would GM put in forged pistons and I beam rods for a car that makes 260 crank horsepower?
leemanfor is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.