2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.
View Poll Results: Which one and why??
SS Cobalt
26.19%
Mach 1
11.90%
Terminator Cobra
61.90%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

New SS Cobalt/03-04 Mach 1, Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New SS Cobalt/03-04 Mach 1, Cobra

Ok, I'm trying to make a game plan for next year, end of this year. My girl and I have been discussing getting rid of the LS 'Balt and either getting a SS 'Balt, or '03-'04 Mach 1/Cobra.

What would you pick and why?

I want a Cobra or Mach 1 in Competition Orange......by far my fav. color for the Mustangs and they both look ****!! BUT..........they're used and no warranty. The Cobalt of course has a warranty, is pretty damn fast for a DD, gets great fuel mileage and looks pretty nice too.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:28 AM

can you afford the insurance on the Cobra? it'll be twice(possibly 3 times) the price of the other two... trust me...

Insurance on my Cobalt is $107 a month, when I checked on a Cobra BEFORE I got my Cobalt, it was over $400 a month... so get ready to get raped in getting the Cobra insured

so the Cobalt and Mach 1 will be MUCH more affordable.... but if you can afford it, I'd DEFINITELY take the Cobra... some bolt-ons, a 2.8" pulley, and a tune later... you got a 11 second car

as far as the Mach 1 and Cobalt... depends on what you want in a car... the 4v 4.6 is a strong runner even being N/A... and stock for stock, it would beat the Cobalt 8 out of 10 times in a drag race... the Cobalt would be the better handling car...

I personally am more of a GM guy, so i'd choose the Cobalt, because with a tune and some bolt-ons, its a strong runner anyway... but the Cobra is just a bad ass that even GM guys have to sit back and say "damn" to

and if you find a Cobra in Comp. Orange, its going to be HIGH, that is the rarest color in them and the most sought after... you'd seriously pay around $30,000(or more) for it, ESPECIALLY a 'vert one... throw in the insurance rates... and hello C6 Corvette instead
Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 AM

Cobras are teh sex. The only rule is..if you get one...you aren't allowed to become a douche bag like every other Cobra owner I've ever come across. The only thing that would be a deciding factor is...how much is gas going to be when you're shopping...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:26 AM

I like cobra's . A lot of my friends have them and they wouldn't give them up for nothing...lol
Old 07-28-2009, 07:26 AM

It has a lot to do with what you want in a car. If it's going fast in a straight line, then the cobra is your choice. If you want a great dd with fantastic handling and decent power then the cobalt should be your choice. You can make the cobra handle well, but it would be like making the cobalt very fast in a straight line. Can be done, but not without some work.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cobalt if you need a family car. Cobra if it's a toy.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cobalt if you need a family car. Cobra if it's a toy.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 AM

termi all the way

they can be made insane for cheap money
Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 AM

as much as i hate to say it i'd go w/ the terminator. and i'm a huge camaro fan, so it hurts to say it., those things put down nearly 500whp w/ like 1k in mods. theyre insane, i stay away from them on the streets lol.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:19 AM

I have owned both - Terminator hands down.

Terminator will OWN any "super tuned" HP Tuners Cobalt or ANY Cobalt for that matter.

I had about $1000 into mine and went 12.21@119.57. 2003 Mustang Cobra - RIP, the BEST car I have ever owned, and my Eleanor...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Donny Brasco
I have owned both - Terminator hands down.

Terminator will OWN any "super tuned" HP Tuners Cobalt or ANY Cobalt for that matter.

I had about $1000 into mine and went 12.21@119.57. 2003 Mustang Cobra - RIP, the BEST car I have ever owned, and my Eleanor...
a high 300whp cobalt might stand a chance against a tune only terminator, givin the weight advantage. roll race. and i'm talking like near 350-400whp. key word MIGHT
Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 PM

If you have the money for the Cobra, by all means, GO FOR IT! The 4v motors are practically bullet proof. I just bought an '09 Shelby and believe me it's a blast. I also purchased 1k in mods (intake, pulley, tune) and that alone puts me in the 540 RWHP area. Same thing with the Cobra's, 1k in mods and you're flying. The 03/04 termi's are lighter and have the IRS which is better "handling" wise as opposed to the live rear axle on the current GT500's. I've never owned one but I belong to a regional mustang forum and I know a lot of people who own them and who have taken them to hell and back. It's a great car and if you can afford go for it. You will not have any problems with the motor I can promise you that. It all depends on what it is that you're in need of, if you have a family and cash flow is tight then I'd go with a "newer" car that has a warranty so that you have something to lean back on. My guess, since you're posting on an SS forum I'm assuming that no matter what car you buy you will modify it. So I'd definitely go with the Cobra.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought a 2003 Cobra in 2003. It was a first-run. I had a lot of issues with "the tick," the throwout bearing, and the rear axels. It was still the funnest car I have ever owned, though. Those were good times for me, financially. That wasn't the case in 2004, so I had to sell it. One of these days, I'll own another one.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:27 AM

Well for me, the Cobra is my dream "super car" because of the fact it takes little to nothing as you guys mentioned to go ridiculously fast. I like GM stuff too and the LSx engines are no joke but even they usually stand down to a whipple or KB Cobra. On the other hand, I like the Mach 1's because they have the solid axle, are lighter, a good bit cheaper and respond just as well to mods as the Cobra. I also like the SS/TC as well because it handles like flypaper, great on gas and of course, warranty. The one thing I do hate is the cheap interior build quality. It just poses a certain "cheapness" about it and it's throughout the entire Cobalt line. I wish GM would have taken a bit more effort and done an interior as nice as the Malibu. So far it looks like the Terminator is winning. I'm going to get me an insurance quote today and see how much it will hurt for it.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:30 AM

cobra ftw
Old 07-29-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Blk08coupe
Well for me, the Cobra is my dream "super car" because of the fact it takes little to nothing as you guys mentioned to go ridiculously fast. I like GM stuff too and the LSx engines are no joke but even they usually stand down to a whipple or KB Cobra. On the other hand, I like the Mach 1's because they have the solid axle, are lighter, a good bit cheaper and respond just as well to mods as the Cobra. I also like the SS/TC as well because it handles like flypaper, great on gas and of course, warranty. The one thing I do hate is the cheap interior build quality. It just poses a certain "cheapness" about it and it's throughout the entire Cobalt line. I wish GM would have taken a bit more effort and done an interior as nice as the Malibu. So far it looks like the Terminator is winning. I'm going to get me an insurance quote today and see how much it will hurt for it.
as far as the cheap interior, it has better interior then the mustangs, imo. nicer then my camaro. its simple, my cobalt had no gaps, no noise no creeks. i can't say that about my camaro. i roll down my window and i can feel the door panel pop out cuz of the power window motor. material wise, gm didnt use the best, but still better then the camaro and mustangs, and hell c5 vettes. but thats my opinion.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 AM

I have had 7 mustangs before I bought my Cobalt. I had a 96 GT,a 1996 Cobra, 2 97 Cobras, an 01 Bullitt, an 04 GT, and an 07 Shelby GT. With that being said I love my Cobalt and would never go back to Ford. The Mustangs guzzle gas and all the 03 Cobras by now have been beat to ****. You are going to pay primo dollars to find a stock Mach1/Cobra. The cars are heavy, they dont brake worth a **** and are good in a straight line. If that's what you want then go for it. I have never driven a more balanced car than my Cobalt. Awesome fuel economy, awesome handling, awesome acceleration (for a 4cyl), and awesome braking. Full bolt on SS Cobalt w/a tune would walk a Mach1 and hang with a stock termi.

Oh did I mention I like my 5yr/100K powertrain warranty and roadside assistance.... all for low 20s on a brand new car?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:55 AM

If you get a Mach1, it better be a stick model. The auto's aren't as fast.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 PM

There's going to be a lot of disagreements on this topic. For one, you're on a Cobalt SS forum. Go on a Mustang forum and ask the same question. Each side will be biased, albeit, there's a good amount of people in this thread that don't seem biased. IMO, I wouldn't buy a Mustang, a Shelby, a Cobra, a Cobalt SS for interior quality. I would buy those cars to have power and to race. When I'm older and want nice interior I'll go to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, and hell maybe even the new Hyundai Genesis. But for now, I want the eye grabbers and the fast, sportier cars. If you want a nice interior my friend, I would suggest maybe looking away from American as most of our cars lack in it. If I was in your shoes and I had the cash, I would definitely go for an 03/04 Cobra. If you're willing to spend a little more cash go for an 07-09 Shelby. It's the same deal as the Cobra's, minimal mods give you very nice numbers. Also, the 07-09 Shelby's have a better interior, live rear axle (better for drag racing, VERY STRONG), and they do have some nice Brembo brakes. With the 2010's JUST around the corner, you could practically steal a GT500. A base model with no fancy options you could get for maybe 39-40 (Financially, I wouldn't pay 30+ for a Cobra when I could get a Shelby for a very close price, hence why I got a Shelby.).

Now, to the SS. Yup, the interior isn't the greatest. But I don't really let that bother me as I see it more of a race car. A race car that can get 20+ MPG, and make really nice power. A GTI is the same deal. Especially with the automatic DSG transmission, that car is a monster. It's all in preferences. And you lose nothing by waiting and doing your research. Take your time and it will pay off greatly in the end. There's nothing generally better. It's just what better suits one another.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:55 PM

I've owned both Mustangs, 03 Mach 1 (5spd) and 03 Cobra. Both were daily drivers with about 12k miles racked up on each so I believe I have an experienced $.02 to add...

Mach 1 is a nicer DD no question. Lil softer in every way, but no quicker than the Cobalt with inferior handling, braking and mileage. When mods do start (and they will trust me), the Cobalt has more potential to make good, easy power. The two cars are comparable.

Cobra is more of a fair weather car and in another league IMO. Not as DD friendly, costlier to own and operate, but once the modding begins it's all over. IF you want to look into the Cobra like others said check insurance FIRST. It's a more expensive in all respects so be prepared

All depends on what's most important to you and what you can afford. Hope this helps
Old 07-29-2009, 03:42 PM

There is no contest here

03/04 Cobra ftw, if you can afford it go all out and enjoy
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM

It sounds to me like u want something reliable and with a warranty. I would say the cobalt for a few reasons:

1) the insurance is cheaper
2) it has a full warranty
3) it gets better gas milage

You sound like a younger guy. Id say the cobalt all the way for cheaper costs overall.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:00 PM

If you're buying it as a daily driver you really don't want a cobra. No warranty, expensive replacement parts and HALF the gas mileage.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 PM

Having been around 03/04 Cobras all my life I can at least give my .02 on them.

GAS MILEAGE: They can easily get 23-24mpg on the highway all while making 500rwhp. So they are not horrible on gas mileage, not a Cobalt but I guarantee you it will eat a Cobalt for lunch with out breaking a sweat.

HANDLING: They handle decent not as bad as everyone will tell you. I always laugh when people talk about handling on this site when I would say maybe .0001% of the people on here have ever taken there car to a road course or even been to one. To me I could give a **** about handling since I'm not in to it and you can't really push any of the cars to there limits on the streets any ways. So what if the car can pull .85 Gs on the skid pad if you've never done what’s the point?

DAILY USE: A Cobra isn't bad at all to DD. I wouldn't do it just because it’s a nice car but I've seen numerous people do it. The car rides decent with the IRS, clutch is nice and the seats are fairly comfortable. Throw a good set of street tires on it and it will be just fine. I've seen numerous 03/04s making 500+rwhp and having over 100k miles on them and they still run strong.

COST TO OWN: I don't know why people say they are expensive to fix. For the most part I've really never heard of any thing going bad on them. The head tick was a problem in 03 but I would say most that had the problem were taken in for the warranty repair. Breaking the half shafts are a problem if you get to much wheel hop but that is your fault if it happens and even then its not to expensive. Other than those problems that’s all I've really heard of. When the motors can take 600+rwhp and be beat the hell out of on a daily basis a stock or near stock cobra will last for ever. You might need a set of rear tires every year too. LOL

As for the Mach 1 they aren't bad either don't get as good of gas mileage, not as smooth of a ride, seats aren't as comfortable and the motor and trans isn't as strong. You can throw a 4000-4500 Paxton Novi 2000 on it though and have a low 12- high 11sec car all day long on long boost and being very reliable.

It really depends on what you want and what you are using it for. If you’re buying a toy I'd say a Cobra or a Mach 1. If you want a peppy good looking DD then I'd get a Cobalt.

As others have said a CO Cobra or Mach 1 is going to be hard to find and you will pay above average prices for one. My buddy had a CO Cobra that made 6XXrwhp with KB and made close to 700rwhp on spray. He totaled last year but it was fixed and sold for like $18k. Other great colors on the 03/04 is Screaming Yellow, Torch Red, Sonic Blue and Dark Shadow Gray. To be honest with you every color looks great on a Cobra. LOL
Old 07-29-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 04YellowGT
Having been around 03/04 Cobras all my life I can at least give my .02 on them.

GAS MILEAGE: They can easily get 23-24mpg on the highway all while making 500rwhp. So they are not horrible on gas mileage, not a Cobalt but I guarantee you it will eat a Cobalt for lunch with out breaking a sweat.

HANDLING: They handle decent not as bad as everyone will tell you. I always laugh when people talk about handling on this site when I would say maybe .0001% of the people on here have ever taken there car to a road course or even been to one. To me I could give a **** about handling since I'm not in to it and you can't really push any of the cars to there limits on the streets any ways. So what if the car can pull .85 Gs on the skid pad if you've never done what’s the point?

DAILY USE: A Cobra isn't bad at all to DD. I wouldn't do it just because it’s a nice car but I've seen numerous people do it. The car rides decent with the IRS, clutch is nice and the seats are fairly comfortable. Throw a good set of street tires on it and it will be just fine. I've seen numerous 03/04s making 500+rwhp and having over 100k miles on them and they still run strong.

COST TO OWN: I don't know why people say they are expensive to fix. For the most part I've really never heard of any thing going bad on them. The head tick was a problem in 03 but I would say most that had the problem were taken in for the warranty repair. Breaking the half shafts are a problem if you get to much wheel hop but that is your fault if it happens and even then its not to expensive. Other than those problems that’s all I've really heard of. When the motors can take 600+rwhp and be beat the hell out of on a daily basis a stock or near stock cobra will last for ever. You might need a set of rear tires every year too. LOL

As for the Mach 1 they aren't bad either don't get as good of gas mileage, not as smooth of a ride, seats aren't as comfortable and the motor and trans isn't as strong. You can throw a 4000-4500 Paxton Novi 2000 on it though and have a low 12- high 11sec car all day long on long boost and being very reliable.

It really depends on what you want and what you are using it for. If you’re buying a toy I'd say a Cobra or a Mach 1. If you want a peppy good looking DD then I'd get a Cobalt.

As others have said a CO Cobra or Mach 1 is going to be hard to find and you will pay above average prices for one. My buddy had a CO Cobra that made 6XXrwhp with KB and made close to 700rwhp on spray. He totaled last year but it was fixed and sold for like $18k. Other great colors on the 03/04 is Screaming Yellow, Torch Red, Sonic Blue and Dark Shadow Gray. To be honest with you every color looks great on a Cobra. LOL
I definitely agree with you.

+1

Quick Reply: New SS Cobalt/03-04 Mach 1, Cobra