2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Oil pressure and coolant temp gauges.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil pressure and coolant temp gauges.

I've looked all over these forums for the answers to these questions. I hope #1, I'm on the right forum so I don't catch hell and #2, I hope somebody can give me a good answer. It's an easy question for SOMEBODY I'm sure but not for me.

Where can I tap off for supplemental oil pressure and coolant temp gauges? I have considered a head temp gauge (I found a beautiful indash model with a variety of thermocouples (sensor)) but would rather have coolant temp. I get so tired of running through the DIC to the coolant temp! and I would like to keep track of that measurement. Oil Pressure is important to me because once the pressure is low enough to trigger the idiot light the damage is probably already done. Same with the temp although you do have the DIC IF it happens to be set to temp when you want to look at it. The same website has a matching gauge for the oil pressure but these gauges are laboratory type gauges and they don't offer an automotive type sending unit. Or if somebody (and I know this is asking a lot) can tell me what an automotive oil pressure gauge output measures in, milli volts, milli amps or resistance , I could find an automotive sender (once I have found the output type) to work with the gauge I have already found and would really like to use. These gauges also supply an analog output that could be used to trigger an audible warning, etc.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/DP116.html

HELP!!!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
ok for water temp the easiest way is get this
http://prosportgauges.com/water-temp...e-adaptor.aspx
get the red one. U cut ur upper rad hose and put that in there and attach u gauge probe to it. i did this it works great, only thing is u will only get a reading when ur car is at running temp and the thermostate opens and lets the coolent through the rad. which is fine cause u wanna know if ur car is running to hot not to cold, if it reads 0 its to cold to give er lol.

The oil pressure is 3 infront of the manifold in the front of the motor and 3 in the back, i used the one just under the turbo in the back. scroll down a little on following link and see pic. use the one in blue as the other one is used for turbo oil drain. Its up to u to figure out what tools u will need cause i forget, but its a little difficult to get the plug out and the sender in cause the isnt much room to work, and u cant get ur hand up there unless u have small hands. so u will need to be creative.

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/sh...?t=3162&page=2

u will also need this to screw into the galley port and ur sensor at the other end.

http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...dcategory=5623

hope that helps
Old 12-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
ok for water temp the easiest way is get this
http://prosportgauges.com/water-temp...e-adaptor.aspx
get the red one. U cut ur upper rad hose and put that in there and attach u gauge probe to it. i did this it works great, only thing is u will only get a reading when ur car is at running temp and the thermostate opens and lets the coolent through the rad. which is fine cause u wanna know if ur car is running to hot not to cold, if it reads 0 its to cold to give er lol.

The oil pressure is 3 infront of the manifold in the front of the motor and 3 in the back, i used the one just under the turbo in the back. scroll down a little on following link and see pic. use the one in blue as the other one is used for turbo oil drain. Its up to u to figure out what tools u will need cause i forget, but its a little difficult to get the plug out and the sender in cause the isnt much room to work, and u cant get ur hand up there unless u have small hands. so u will need to be creative.

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/sh...?t=3162&page=2

u will also need this to screw into the galley port and ur sensor at the other end.

http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...dcategory=5623

hope that helps
OK! That's what I wanted. I hate cutting into the hose but if I gotta I gotta. You say all three plugs are oil passages?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Those displays are very nice, but they are a tad overkill You can get a dual readout Oil pres/water temp gauge for easily less than $100 than the cost of those two. (gauge would show both at same time)

There are many many threads on where to get feeds for oil pressure and water temp. Just do a quick search, you need to decide if you want head oil pressure or main oil pressure as well.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if you considered it or if it is in your price range, but the Aeroforce Interceptor shows Coolant Temp along with many other parameters without having to be creative with Sendors. All you do is plug it in to the OBD Port. However Oil Pressure is not one of the parameters, but they do offer a Sensor that is compatible with one of the Analog Inputs that the Aeroforce offers.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by BRHumbert
Not sure if you considered it or if it is in your price range, but the Aeroforce Interceptor shows Coolant Temp along with many other parameters without having to be creative with Sendors. All you do is plug it in to the OBD Port. However Oil Pressure is not one of the parameters, but they do offer a Sensor that is compatible with one of the Analog Inputs that the Aeroforce offers.
No oil pressure, no Interceptor!! Plus the numbers on these gauges are more than a half inch high and I'd rather have something different than everybody else.
But thanks for the reply.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by buellfooll
OK! That's what I wanted. I hate cutting into the hose but if I gotta I gotta. You say all three plugs are oil passages?
im sure u could hook ur water temp somewhere else, like on top of the motor on passenger side there where a few hook up, u could maybe do something fance with some adaptors there, i was just to lazy to do that. lol

and ya i think all three are, but 2 are used so u have one left. have fun with that though. i took mine off before i got the parts i needed just to make sure i knew how to do it. then i put it back in, took about 2 hours to figure out the combo of tools that worked and about 20 minutes to actually do it.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
im sure u could hook ur water temp somewhere else, like on top of the motor on passenger side there where a few hook up, u could maybe do something fance with some adaptors there, i was just to lazy to do that. lol

and ya i think all three are, but 2 are used so u have one left. have fun with that though. i took mine off before i got the parts i needed just to make sure i knew how to do it. then i put it back in, took about 2 hours to figure out the combo of tools that worked and about 20 minutes to actually do it.
Thanks for the reply and info. Another nice part about the temp gauge I'm looking at is it's ability to take data from many different positions on the engine. Under the head of any
6mm bolt on the head for head temp (the difference in the head temp is within 1 1/2 degrees of the DIC coolant temp) reading as read with an infrared thermometer. That would be the simplest way. Or I could use a cement on film thermocouple right on the engine coolant goose neck on the engine. Either one would be undetectable to the uninformed eye. I didn't think to check that spot for accuracy. But I'm sure a 1/4 inch of aluminum between the coolant and thermocouple isn't going to cause a very big error. That way would be a little more involved but either way I wouldn't have to T off of an existing sensor or fitting or cut the upper hose to use an aftermarket, in the hose, sensor mount. Like I said. I like to be different. I'm sure nobody else is going to have two digital gauges side by side in the panel under the radio. Everybody has 2 Interceptors mounted on the A pillar. Monday I'll do what I should have done in the first place. Call Omega.com and ask the engineers what I need to measure oil pressure. Maybe I'll order the temp gauge and thermocouple at the same time. Yeah! That's the ticket!

I looked for the plugs and couldn't even see them from the top. I'll take a closer look from the bottom tomorrow. I'm haveing a hard time believing there is no oil pressure sensor anywhere on this engine. I'm sure the ECU uses an oil pressure reading somehow. Maybe it's internal?

Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

ya u wont see them from the top, gotta do it from under the car.
I dont like digital Gauges myself, i just got 2 defi gauges, they look stock and go well with the stock gauge colors. plus i got a dashdaq which tells me everything else i want to know.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to put an Oil pressure gauge as well i was wondering what max reading should i get 100psi or more? The spec is 50-80psi at minimum 1000rpm so at higher rpms it should go over 100? anybody have an oil pressure gauge already installed? and if so what i the max psi it goes too? hopefully not over 100, cuz like an idiot i already ordered my gauge, and it's max psi is 100.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by utibalt
I'm going to put an Oil pressure gauge as well i was wondering what max reading should i get 100psi or more? The spec is 50-80psi at minimum 1000rpm so at higher rpms it should go over 100? anybody have an oil pressure gauge already installed? and if so what i the max psi it goes too? hopefully not over 100, cuz like an idiot i already ordered my gauge, and it's max psi is 100.
the only time u would get 100+ psi is if its really cold out and u just started ur car and u give er, oil is thicker so it will be more pressure, not sure about the synthetic, but normal oil does that. normal driving its 60psi, idle its about 25-35, stepping on it around 80. so ur ok