2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Overboost

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:35 AM
sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overboost

I am chasing an issue and to see if someone has had this before.
I ran a few searches and couldn't find much.

I have a boost gauge that takes its reading from the intake manifold but it doesn't match what Hptuners and what my radio logs from the ecu. The ecu reads about 23 psi and won't go over that, while the gauge on the intake manifold will go way past that. I have seen 35psi but if I don't let off it will continue to climb. The turbo is definitely boosting way past 23psi.

The car is currently tuned for ~27psi and the ecu reads below that, which make me think it's not commanding the wastegate to open.

At the moment I can't try to set the wastegate to open below 23 psi to troubleshoot because I need to get the readiness codes to complete. I been trying to get the stupid evap monitor to complete to pass emissions. Been trying for 3 weeks
Old 06-09-2016, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
For the evap in a cold start turn on the ac full blast and the window defroster, don't press on the gas pedal, let it come to operating Temps if possible. That's what I did for my car to get them ready
Old 06-09-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sev
I am chasing an issue and to see if someone has had this before.
I ran a few searches and couldn't find much.

I have a boost gauge that takes its reading from the intake manifold but it doesn't match what Hptuners and what my radio logs from the ecu. The ecu reads about 23 psi and won't go over that, while the gauge on the intake manifold will go way past that. I have seen 35psi but if I don't let off it will continue to climb. The turbo is definitely boosting way past 23psi.

The car is currently tuned for ~27psi and the ecu reads below that, which make me think it's not commanding the wastegate to open.

At the moment I can't try to set the wastegate to open below 23 psi to troubleshoot because I need to get the readiness codes to complete. I been trying to get the stupid evap monitor to complete to pass emissions. Been trying for 3 weeks
The gauge you say takes it reading from the intake manifold: what exactly is the situation? takes the reading from the MAP sensor through the ECU from the manifold? takes the reading physically from the manifold (it's a mechanical gauge? Or other setup?

The ECU reading on the manifold MAP will never read more than 22.5 psi (255kpa absolute), even if you have the 3 bar sensors from the GMS1 tune in it. That is hard coded into the ECU. If you are reading a sensor for your boost pressure, you must use the boost_lores sensor which is for the MAP in the lower charge pipe. This sensor, if it is the GMS1 version, will read up to the 3 bar limit (if you have the 3 bar GMS1 sensors).

So make sure you are not taking boost readings from the manifold sensor if trying to read more than 22.5psi or it will just cap itself at 22.5 psi.

edit: and for your emissions, NJ is allowed one monitor not ready status, so I would think you are allowed the same and should pass emissions (it that is the only monitor not ready). That one is a pain to get it to set ready.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Yup on the emission is the same thing in texas I had evap and o2 something, o2 never got ready so I went for evap and got it to complete with the way I mentioned above
Old 06-09-2016, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As for your boost level, something is either mechanically wrong, or your tuned is way off. 25-27psi is pretty high already. But even if tuned for 27psi, you should NEVER get near 35psi (if the gauge is correct).

I haven't worked with LNF's long, but I think you are getting into boost territory at 35psi that can break a ring land or do other mechanical damage. I would be very careful until you get it figured out.

For your reading of 35psi, since the factory gauge only goes to 30psi, what are you using to see boost that high?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I think he's on a different turbo.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:31 AM
sev

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
For the evap in a cold start turn on the ac full blast and the window defroster, don't press on the gas pedal, let it come to operating Temps if possible. That's what I did for my car to get them ready
I will give this a try when I get out of work thanks!

Originally Posted by califcarm
The gauge you say takes it reading from the intake manifold: what exactly is the situation? takes the reading from the MAP sensor through the ECU from the manifold? takes the reading physically from the manifold (it's a mechanical gauge? Or other setup?

The ECU reading on the manifold MAP will never read more than 22.5 psi (255kpa absolute), even if you have the 3 bar sensors from the GMS1 tune in it. That is hard coded into the ECU. If you are reading a sensor for your boost pressure, you must use the boost_lores sensor which is for the MAP in the lower charge pipe. This sensor, if it is the GMS1 version, will read up to the 3 bar limit (if you have the 3 bar GMS1 sensors).

So make sure you are not taking boost readings from the manifold sensor if trying to read more than 22.5psi or it will just cap itself at 22.5 psi.
I will check the PID on the radio when i get out to see which sensor it is reading. I have the 2 3bar map sensors, it being hard coded explains why the factory gauge doesn't go above 22 psi. Hp tuners has showed above 22 (27wot & 29 when the throttle closes) psi while tuning, I will check the settings to make sure its all correct.

The gauge I have takes the reading physically from the intake manifold and that thing never stops. The waste gate is definitely closed. I will check the preload on the gate and see if it changes anything.

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
I think he's on a different turbo.
Yes I am on a 6258 tuned to 27psi. However the car just came back from surgery and trying to work out the bugs to go back to tuning.

Thanks all.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:08 AM
sev

Okay, so I think its working now.
It is boosting to 30psi on the gauge and HP tuners shows 29.X.
It sees about 29 psi around 3500rpm and it stayed there to 4400 as I don't want to push it any higher. There has been a lot of changes since the last tune file and I am sure it can be turned down via software now.

On regards to the Evap, I have done 2 cold starts with the AC and Defroster on. In the radio I can see the evap at 33 whith those things on so lets see what happens.

For your reading of 35psi, since the factory gauge only goes to 30psi, what are you using to see boost that high?
I have methanol and the controller gets its boost source from the intake manifold.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Why is your tuner not catching this and adjusted everything accordingly? This is pretty novice stuff here my man. :/
Old 06-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

I think he started tuning himself
Old 06-10-2016, 03:44 PM
sev

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
Why is your tuner not catching this and adjusted everything accordingly? This is pretty novice stuff here my man. :/
Since we started I have gone through two turbos, 3 return lines, 3 sets of plugs, 2 sets of map sensors,2 downpipes, 1 exhaust manifold, 1 alternator and 2 intake setups and then I blew the differential.

I dont even know how he has been so patient to be honest.
Each time the motor gets put back together KMO pretty much has to start over. So I stopped sending logs until this thing is healthy.

Also its difficult to tune for max low end torque when its knocking all the time.

I think he started tuning himself
Nah I created new tune files so I can troubleshoot and load the tune back when ever i figure it out.
Wasted enough of kmo time troubleshooting.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

I had the same problem pretty much I kinda gave up on it, maybe in 2 weeks I'll be able to start taking my car apart to fix all the problems
Old 06-10-2016, 04:54 PM
sev

I had the same problem pretty much I kinda gave up on it, maybe in 2 weeks I'll be able to start taking my car apart to fix all the problems
Yea its been one thing after another with this thing.
If I was to do this again I would buy the DDM efr kit with the adapter and call it a day.

I am hoping to have this figured out soon and get back to tuning.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah same here I know your pain lol
Old 06-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sev
Since we started I have gone through two turbos, 3 return lines, 3 sets of plugs, 2 sets of map sensors,2 downpipes, 1 exhaust manifold, 1 alternator and 2 intake setups and then I blew the differential.

I dont even know how he has been so patient to be honest.
Each time the motor gets put back together KMO pretty much has to start over. So I stopped sending logs until this thing is healthy.

Also its difficult to tune for max low end torque when its knocking all the time.

Nah I created new tune files so I can troubleshoot and load the tune back when ever i figure it out.
Wasted enough of kmo time troubleshooting.

Why so many hard parts? I've obviously not been involved in the setup, but I've done more than my fair share of builds on kappas to know there's no reason to have thrown that many parts at it and have as many problems as this.

I'd be more than willing to help you guys with things if you need. I just don't want people to take my offering to help as any sort of an intrusive way. Believe it or not, I enjoy helping people as long as they're willing to take my help. Even if I am a grumpy old man from time to time.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sev
Yea its been one thing after another with this thing.
If I was to do this again I would buy the DDM efr kit with the adapter and call it a day.

I am hoping to have this figured out soon and get back to tuning.
You're having issues as well? Such as?
Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 PM
sev

Oil return would not seal, then when I finally got it to seal with rtv the fitting on the turbo broke in 2.
The turbo that I bought to replace a turbo sucked in a coupler and bent a compressor fin.
The exhaust manifold broke at the flange.
The downpipe exploded in a hilarious fashion.
Because of my dumbassness in these cars pcv system I ruined 2 3 bar map sensors.
The icing on the cake was the diff, that was over a grand and some change alone.

When it works though it's worth it
Old 06-10-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As for your boost level, something is either mechanically wrong, or your tuned is way off. 25-27psi is pretty high already. But even if tuned for 27psi, you should NEVER get near 35psi (if the gauge is correct).

I haven't worked with LNF's long, but I think you are getting into boost territory at 35psi that can break a ring land or do other mechanical damage. I would be very careful until you get it figured out.

He would be lifting the head if he's got stock bolts holding it down.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
You're having issues as well? Such as?
I believe you where asking me lol if not then my bad lol

For me it's just been kr problems. On the last logs the first pull I would do would come out clean of kr once I did the second pull I kept getting kr after that, in the end timing went down boost went down I mean idk how many thinks we tires and nothing fixed it and when we where close to finishing the tune kr always come out and screwed up the whole tuning
Old 06-10-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
I believe you where asking me lol if not then my bad lol For me it's just been kr problems. On the last logs the first pull I would do would come out clean of kr once I did the second pull I kept getting kr after that, in the end timing went down boost went down I mean idk how many thinks we tires and nothing fixed it and when we where close to finishing the tune kr always come out and screwed up the whole tuning
That sucks man. I have a 7 blade brand new setting in a box awaiting more feedback from guys in what it's worth. My k04+ runs pretty good already with no knock.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah I think something went wrong with my turbo but we will see once I can park my car
Old 06-11-2016, 10:08 AM
sev

I went to get the inspection today to try that 1 not ready thing mentioned above.
Passed and on the way home got P258a :P

Talk about perfect timing.
I been getting that p258a during the summer since I had the car. Some relay seems to get hot i believe.

Turning the knock sensors today, then a boost leak test and hopefully can get back to tuning.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Lol well glad you passed, did you get the evap to complete?
Old 06-11-2016, 12:58 PM
sev

Nope.
Passed since it was only one.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmm weird but yeah atleast you passed