2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Question about HHR SS stage kit sensors in Balt

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about HHR SS stage kit sensors in Balt

Sup everyone. I have a question that might have already been asked but I couldn't find anything that was straight forward. I just purchased an 09 SS/TC and was thinking about getting a tune and/or hot pipes and thought of something. What is the chance of getting the HHR SS Stage kit that's already available and using the sensors and connectors from that kit along with a tune from Trifecta or HP Tuners? Will they be able to tune the PCM to use the new sensors? Is it a limitation of the factory tune not allowing a setting above a certain point or is it the sensors and the PCM can be set to whatever?

I checked part numbers for the HHR SS cold pipe that includes the sensor and the MAP sensor on the intake and they are the same as my 09 Balt so the sensors should fit.

I've seen some people get tuned with some other mods and boost 22-24lbs with well over 315hp. My co-worker has an HHR SS auto with the stage kit installed and he sees up to 28-29lbs. If a balt can get those numbers that would pretty awsome.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been discussed before.

5hizn1t
Old 06-23-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vince from trifecta might be able to make a tune with those sensors, he mentioned somewhere else he can rescale the signal to those sensors. Hptuners currently can't rescale them, so your only bet is Vince.
But that will be one pricey upgrade since you first need the stage kit and then another tune, why not just get a regular tune from Vince?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:59 PM

That's what I was thinking. Just using the sensors and using Vince's tune. I might can come across a stage kit for the HHR pretty cheap so all I would have in it is the tune.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think that your buddy with the hhr is pushing 28 to 29psi on just the stage kit. With the stage kit and all my mods but the tune I was only pushing 17 to 19 and with the tune from 06black I'm at 26psi at tip in and settle at 23. With just the stage kit your buddy would be overspinning that turbo at that psi and if he really is pushing that then his turbo will go boom soon. Not trying to be a dick or anything
Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by BartSS
I don't think that your buddy with the hhr is pushing 28 to 29psi on just the stage kit. With the stage kit and all my mods but the tune I was only pushing 17 to 19 and with the tune from 06black I'm at 26psi at tip in and settle at 23. With just the stage kit your buddy would be overspinning that turbo at that psi and if he really is pushing that then his turbo will go boom soon. Not trying to be a dick or anything
I helped install the Stage kit. He's a salesman at the dealership I work at. He knows less about the turbos than I do. And that's bad The stage kit is all he has. I talked to a GM Powertrain Performance tech, one of the ones that actually helped make the aftermarket sensors and program modifications into a GM kit, and he said that the manual HHR's will still have the learn down feature to not overdue the clutch. But the automatics will be able to push the turbo to it's max. They said that the max is 30lbs. We ran into some troubles with the program of the stage kit in the beginning. The car wouldn't take the program 100%. And then when it did complete the process, it would miss real bad die. GM done some research and supposedly sent out a new program to fix all the problems we was having.

After the fix, we took it on a couple of test drives down the road and it ran great. We see on average 23-25 psi until we hit around the 80MPH range. After that the boost jumps up almost instantly to the 28-29 range. Just barely away from the 30 mark. Most of the time if anyone drives the car and gets on it real hard over 80, it will either blow apart either boost tube at the seams or blow it off the intake or the cooler.

My friend with the HHR has blown apart the factory hot tubing 3 times and the cold twice. All the pressure has even blown off the mounting plate that the MAP sensor on the cold side fastens to completely off of the piping. We, the tech at work and I, called GM Performance and asked why the piping kept blowing apart and he said that the stage kit wasn't initially made for the automatics. And that the programming for the automatics isn't going to learn down like the manuals does. That might be why anyone with manuals haven't seen any more boost above the 25 or so range.

That's the reason why I asked the initial questions about the sensors on an aftermarket tune. I would almost bet that the Stage 1 GM tune for the Cobalt will be just like the one for the HHR SS with the manual. Detuned. If someone can make it work to it's full potential I can come across the HHR sensors to put on my Cobalt. That way I wont have to wait for GM. The tune that GM is providing is not going to be used anyways.

What is the max psi for the turbo? I thought I read somewhere on here that it is 30lbs.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vince is working on something called Infiniboost, that basically lets you run Stage Kit boost with or without Stage Kit TMAPs.

Check out this thread where he comes into the thread and talks a little about his recent developments:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ht=infiniboost
Old 06-23-2009, 11:52 PM

The stage kit for the automatics acually puts down less hp and tq because it is an automatic trans and can't handle as much as a manual can. Read up on it. If you don't believe me do a search on chevyhhr. .net. Anyways I talked to the designer of the stage kit at the crate engine depot meet this past april his name is bill duncan. If you have any questions about the stage kits look him up on the other forum he's under the name moretqmorehp and he will be more than happy to help you out. Either which way the auto hhr puts down less power then a manual because the trans on the auto can't hold the power. Sorry for the rant haha
Old 06-24-2009, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the post
Old 06-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do HHR SS's come in the panel version? talk about sleeper.....
Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 AM

They do make a ss panel