2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

rear brake swap from camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear brake swap from camaro

hey guys, name is matt i'm new on here. i was looking to upgrade my breaks since the rear rotors are fried, yea i heard about the possible recall and i plan to get on that, but in the mean time... has anyone given any thought into buying the rear brembo calipers from the camaro, getting the hangers, and finding rotors in the proper size and bolt pattern for the cobalt?? from the GM mechanics ive talked to it wouldn't be impossible but might not be the most practical as far as cost. i don't mind spending the money if it will work, any thoughts?? thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
unless you're dead set on rear brembos, it's going to be much easier and far cheaper to get r1 pads and rotors, or any aftermarket pads and rotors. The car stops more than good enough as it is. You won't have anymore brake problems as long as you lube them properly when you put them on, that's what causes all the problems, they aren't lubed from the factory.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
do u just use brake lube for that or what do u recomend?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, Sounds like a waste of time.

Brackets will need to be fabricated, the brake proportion will be off thus screwing up ABS and stabilitrack.

Just get used to buying new rotors and pads every 25,000 miles.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 AM

you really think it would screw up ABS? not really changing the proportion, just making it more efficient right?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Why would you want to upgrade rear brakes? Only benefit would be to get rid of the problems that we have, it's not going to help stopping distances.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:03 PM

don't know if i'm buying the argument that going from single piston to 4 piston isn't going to help, i also thought they would look real good. i understand that the rears only do about 30% of the breaking, even if i only improved them 50%, thats still a 15% improvement. you'd take a 15% increase in engine power right? anyway it was just a thought to see if anyone has upgraded the calipers in the rears. if i could get a good improvement out of some stoptech drilled and slotted rotors and some nice pads then thats prob close enough.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by brody609
don't know if i'm buying the argument that going from single piston to 4 piston isn't going to help, i also thought they would look real good. i understand that the rears only do about 30% of the breaking, even if i only improved them 50%, thats still a 15% improvement. you'd take a 15% increase in engine power right? anyway it was just a thought to see if anyone has upgraded the calipers in the rears. if i could get a good improvement out of some stoptech drilled and slotted rotors and some nice pads then thats prob close enough.
You are not going to get a 15% increase in stopping ability. My reply was directed at your topic, where spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade to the Camaro's brakes is a total waste of money. Do you honestly believe that you will take the 121ft stopping distance from 60 (per road and driver http://archive.roadandtrack.com/asse...risonchart.pdf) and drop that to 109ft by upgrading the rear brakes????
Old 02-13-2010, 01:00 AM

just calipers alone, prob not, but with new calipers and a good set of rotors and pads
(which i need anyway cuz both are totaly F'd)...... i don't see why not. heres the whole story, car has 20K on it. brake waranty expires at 12k. not only are my rotors fried, but one of the calipers is also and as of right now they wont cover the caliper. so i just was thinking that if the price diference between simply replacing the factory calipers and upgrading was only a few hundred dollars then i wouldn't mind. all i really wanted to know is if anyone had upgraded their rear calipers. seems like perhaps just pads and rotors is the way to go tho. thanks for the input
Old 02-13-2010, 02:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Upgrading rear calipers on a FWD = waste. How do you expect to get any traction back there under any serious braking? The tires are hardly touching when you brake hard.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 AM

really you could say that for just about any car, with the exception of mid or rear engine where you have a little more weight over the rear tires, the nose is gonna dive hard under hard breaking, but point taken. how you like the GM tune i was thinking about getting it over the spring?
Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 PM

GM tune is awesome.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:54 PM

i would look into brembo 2 piston caliper thats on the mitsu evo's, that way u can keep the brake bias some what similar.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 AM

thanks eddie ill def look into that, i have a buddy thats a mitsu mechanic i'm sure he could help me out. and yea i just don't want to void the warranty or risk something going wrong with one of these other tunes. once i heard it didn't void warranty i was like "when do i get my tax return again??" lol. dude you (Baron7700) must be running through tires on like a monthly basis in the summer lol that tune has rediculous TQ. i was lookin at getting some better summer tires, ive heard alot of good things about the goodrich G'force, prob the wet/dry tire, also heard good things about dunlop, you still running the conti's? i need something thats good in the rain since i have a long commute, had a pair of yokohamas on my grand am. they were amazing in the rain, and even better dry.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by bri2203
IMO, Sounds like a waste of time.

Brackets will need to be fabricated, the brake proportion will be off thus screwing up ABS and stabilitrack.

Just get used to buying new rotors and pads every 25,000 miles.
^^^ agreed, whats also starting to get annoying in after you do the brakes, theres at least one side the gets scored again and again..
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Okay Im bringing this up again, I do not want the Camaro brakes per say but I would like to get their Bolt pattern to fit a set of wheels. What do I need to buy to swap the Cobalt SS wheel hub and Camaro hub? Will it be a direct replacement or will this involve alot of customization....

Basically i want to get TSW Nurburgring rims on the Cobalt. I love those rims on alot of VIp cars, beemers and such and I think they'd be a good fit on a lowered cobalt ss sedan.

The prob is the bolt pattern 5x110 does not exist for these wheels, but you can get them for the Camaro so I figured I could swap brakes and bolt pattern with a Camaro v6 or SS. Whatevers in the junk yard, lol.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bigger back brakes will only lead to the back end leading the front end.

A hub swap for different bolt patterns is easy. A lot of guys here have done it. YOu can get the hubs and rotors redrilled yourself if you fund a competent machinist, or you can PM a guy like Mongorat that has sold several sets to members on here. Joe did that on his Yellow Sedan, and I helped him with it. Mongorat sent him everything he needed. We did it in a few hours and it went very smoothly. Best part is that you do not need to swap brakes and get into that expense. All said it's not really expensive to do at all.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:10 AM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CudaJoe
Okay Im bringing this up again, I do not want the Camaro brakes per say but I would like to get their Bolt pattern to fit a set of wheels. What do I need to buy to swap the Cobalt SS wheel hub and Camaro hub? Will it be a direct replacement or will this involve alot of customization....

Basically i want to get TSW Nurburgring rims on the Cobalt. I love those rims on alot of VIp cars, beemers and such and I think they'd be a good fit on a lowered cobalt ss sedan.

The prob is the bolt pattern 5x110 does not exist for these wheels, but you can get them for the Camaro so I figured I could swap brakes and bolt pattern with a Camaro v6 or SS. Whatevers in the junk yard, lol.
the simplest method will be to redrill your hubs and rotors to 5x114.3, which is a pattern that every aftermarket wheel in the world comes in.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM

i would say go ahaead and do it, nothing wrong with custom. thats the whole point of tuning to be different, u could get an adjustable proportioning valve. i would just upgrade to steel braid lines pads and rotors.