2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

So you want a MBC, well have your cake and eat it too

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So you want a MBC, well have your cake and eat it too

Ok, I am getting sick of spending three hours dialing in boost and wasting gas only to have the tune change the next day, its getting ridiculous and expensive. I had the same issue when tuning on Subarus. I did this on my wrx and it was a dream come true, a hybrid EBC/MBC boost controller. Basically a MBC runs in parallel to the factory EBC and you set the max WGDC in your tune to 100% in whatever range you go WOT essentially putting the MBC in charge for the top set in stone psi. The avantage to this setup is a cockpit adjustable on the fly psi (with hallman evo cockpit cable MBC) and ability to limit part throttle boost creep with a pure MBC setup, and if the ECU sees knock and pulls timing/boost it will still kick open the factory solenoid and the air will take the path of least resistance and run minimum boost in the case of severe knock. I have proved this on my WRX when i had it... This setup WORKS.......... and you are able to turn the little knob under your dash to fine tune the max psi on colder or warmer days instead of reflashing every gd ten minutes. It looks as though our factory EBC is pretty much exactly like the prodrive EBC i used on my WRX, theres a common port, normally closed and normally open port. Easy to setup. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Heres a link to my original thread on NASIOC when i was using this with a EWG:

Hybrid prodrive EBCS and MBC boost control with EWG - NASIOC
Old 02-05-2013, 08:46 AM

Anybody have any input? Anybody ever tried this on our cars before?

Oh and I'm using HP tuners to tune.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always heard that using a mbc on the stock turbo doesnt work well
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting... I wish I knew more about EBCs and MBCs.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 PM

worked great on the subaru TD04L which is very very tiny. If this works, im marketing it lol. Best benefits of a MBC with safety factor, and user adjustable max boost WITHOUT reflashes muhahahahahaha.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are using a Halman MBC that interupts flow to the wastegate, how would the wastegate solenoid reduce the boost? It can't force boost past the controller. Or are you T-ing in after the solenoid?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
If you are using a Halman MBC that interupts flow to the wastegate, how would the wastegate solenoid reduce the boost? It can't force boost past the controller. Or are you T-ing in after the solenoid?
Running it in parallel T'd to the EBC. On NASIOC i made it work with an external wastegate, and it works great on internal wastegates too, and i intend to prove this and give our community a better, safe way to control boost and still have the rock steady and lightning fast response of a MBC. The best part is no more reflashes to adjust top boost, still running today on one of our shop cars which is my old 02 WRX with an STI turbo, EWG, alky injection, bigger injectors, FMIC, UTEC piggyback, full bolt ons, 23 psi, and my hybrid boost control. Works amazing.

If this works, i will be offering it in a kit with a tuned hp file.

Last edited by 08VRSS; 02-05-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I see. So you are using the MBC as a max boost safety device. Boost control will still be normal at anything lower than that. Honestly, I don't think it's very difficult to accomplish that without adding the mbc. There are multiple ways to set maximums in the ecm file.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Matt M
I see. So you are using the MBC as a max boost safety device. Boost control will still be normal at anything lower than that. Honestly, I don't think it's very difficult to accomplish that without adding the mbc. There are multiple ways to set maximums in the ecm file.
Not so much a max boost safety device but a max boost "clamp". And thats correct, no part throttle full boost like in a full MBC setup, the boost will still be limited like normal when driving around under light throttle by the factory EBC. The best benefit i would say is with the hallman evo/cockpit cable setup, dialing in your max boost by turning a knob under your dash on the fly is what makes it convenient IMO instead of pulling over and reflashing. Plus end users without Hp tuners don't need to go back and get a retune to change their max boost by a few psi. The only way you would need a retune would be to put in a boost ramp, etc, or have the MBC take over at a different user specified load/rpm. I'll try it out and see if the theory is correct on these cars to see if its the same as i was using before.

Last edited by 08VRSS; 02-06-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
I just carry two PCMs. One has my tune and the other is stock.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
I just carry two PCMs. One has my tune and the other is stock.
ive considered getting an extra pcm just for this reason....id like to have a low boost daily driver and higher boost pcm in the back if need be to pull over and use it

but I also love zzp's setup where you can control two tunes by your traction control button
Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 AM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
No offense but if you're using HPT and cannot maintain boost from day to day then obviously it's time to rethink your approach. A MBC is not necessary on the stock turbo.

Which tables are you using?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by T-Man
No offense but if you're using HPT and cannot maintain boost from day to day then obviously it's time to rethink your approach. A MBC is not necessary on the stock turbo.
x2...

my boost stays pretty much spot on to what I tuned it for way back when in October on a mild day (~50*).. Havent had it waver much at all so I dont personally find this boost maintenance to be an issue

but yet I'm curious to see what you find out, so with that.. sub'd
Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point. The mbc is not a failsafe for the ebc or tune, instead you tune it for infinite boost and use the mbc to regulate max boost. That way you can bum around on a 21 psi tune, but when you roll up on someone looking to race, you can turn the dial and increase the boost on the spot instead of pulling over, pulling out the laptop, and reflashing it. It could go the other way too, so that in winter you could turn it down to say 15 psi without reflashing it. At least that's how I'm understanding it.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 PM

my highly educational response to those who feel the need to change boost numbers constantly on the street...