2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Synapse Motorsport Dyno Tune on our Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 07:04 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkmanx
what happend to the exedy you had?
got another one. Getting some shop time to install it on the 16th. Car is still driveable, but I can't go over 3k rpm above 1/3 throttle. I still can't believe the stock clutch held out so long. I think I got a little over zealous with the WOT box lol. **** is addicting.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
got another one. Getting some shop time to install it on the 16th. Car is still driveable, but I can't go over 3k rpm above 1/3 throttle. I still can't believe the stock clutch held out so long. I think I got a little over zealous with the WOT box lol. **** is addicting.
lol. well make sure you post videos of the monster with the new clutch.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
ya know. i only use the two step to prime the meth injection. i really haven't used the NLS stuff at the track.

one of these days, i will be in your shoes with the clutch issue.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkmanx
lol. well make sure you post videos of the monster with the new clutch.

Oh there will be plenty

Originally Posted by Area47
ya know. i only use the two step to prime the meth injection. i really haven't used the NLS stuff at the track.

one of these days, i will be in your shoes with the clutch issue.
yeah I"m switch over to the aem emth injection, has a nice bypass solonoid and is just boost activated. Hopefully install that the same weekend as the clutch, then it's retune and new dyno numbers time.

Last edited by 06blackg85ss; 08-01-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-02-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even thought the SS/TC makes great numbers all it takes is a turbo kit for the LSJ and you are right in the same ball park for 2-4 thousand + the SS/SC will be paid for.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by HOT CARLS SS
Even thought the SS/TC makes great numbers all it takes is a turbo kit for the LSJ and you are right in the same ball park for 2-4 thousand + the SS/SC will be paid for.
without the better handling, better breaking etc but yeah. Not to mention it is always better to start with a turbo platform if you plan to have a turbo platform... So what would the 2-4k include? turbo, ic piping, injectors, flashing/tuning, exhaust manifold, exhaust, intake, plus all the gaskets and odds and ends you need? Sounds like a lot of work just to have an equivalent car and still not have the direct injection, better mpgs and reliability of an originally turbod platform... but to each his or her own
Old 08-02-2008, 03:54 PM

^^^ why not just buy a base balt for like 7000 and turbo that then? this is the reason why people modiefy their cars. me personally would like to start out with the best platform. i.e. the ss/tc and work from there.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 PM

if you already have a ss/sc yeah I think it makes more sense. If you have one.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just stumbled upon this. Thats some nice torque but it's very clear the turbo is maxing out. I'm sure on the street it's nigth and day but at the track the differences will be less significant.

I can't wait for somone to turbo swap one and see the true potential of direct infection.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:45 PM

Can't wait to see what the results are with a full exhaust system and not just the downpipe!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Maxim_X
Just stumbled upon this. Thats some nice torque but it's very clear the turbo is maxing out. I'm sure on the street it's nigth and day but at the track the differences will be less significant.

I can't wait for somone to turbo swap one and see the true potential of direct infection.
I hear ya. im gonna be doing 20g soon. excited to see results.

I wanna go to track on 23-25 psi on stock turbo with bottle and see what i can do 1st next week if it doesnt rain, then ill switch to a 20g
Old 08-11-2008, 05:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just out of curiousity, Synapse, how much were you boosting completely stock?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Banned

this is not true at all.

I know I am biased (see sig) but... yeah.. there are other differences between the turbo and SCed SS Cobalts.

Clutch for one is different... I believe the suspension/wheels are different.

and your suggesting taking your Supercharger off.. and replacing it with a turbo kit..? Lawlz
Old 08-11-2008, 08:46 AM

Nice preliminary numbers and it'll be interesting to see what you can get out of it once there is better support for tuning the LNF in HP Tuners. Also interesting to see how much overhead there is in fueling.

Originally Posted by maverick0716
Is there a reason, though, that the TQ curve starts so much higher than the stock curve? At one point in the graph, the stock tune is 50 lb-ft. more than the tuned version......was this done on purpose or was it just a downside of running more boost?
What you're seeing is the characteristic torque curve of a smallish sized turbo for the application and a manual boost controller. It builds boost fast, spikes hard (i.e. the torque peak), but can't sustain the flow and starts dropping off as revs climb. While the turbo looks to be reasonably well matched for a stock engine it probably doesn't have a ton of headroom.

It does appear to be holding horsepower reasonably well on the top end so it will be interesting to see how much further it can be pushed and how the car responds to other modifications. It would also be interesting to tap the manifold and take some EGT and backpressure readings as well as some other logging such as intercooler inlet/outlet pressure and temp, take the exhaust temporarily off, open up the intake, etc. to see what, if any, those other parts are limiting power.

Testing, testing, testing. Ah, the fun of a relatively new powertrain installed in a new/different platform.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackbird
Nice preliminary numbers and it'll be interesting to see what you can get out of it once there is better support for tuning the LNF in HP Tuners. Also interesting to see how much overhead there is in fueling.

What you're seeing is the characteristic torque curve of a smallish sized turbo for the application and a manual boost controller. It builds boost fast, spikes hard (i.e. the torque peak), but can't sustain the flow and starts dropping off as revs climb. While the turbo looks to be reasonably well matched for a stock engine it probably doesn't have a ton of headroom.

It does appear to be holding horsepower reasonably well on the top end so it will be interesting to see how much further it can be pushed and how the car responds to other modifications. It would also be interesting to tap the manifold and take some EGT and backpressure readings as well as some other logging such as intercooler inlet/outlet pressure and temp, take the exhaust temporarily off, open up the intake, etc. to see what, if any, those other parts are limiting power.

Testing, testing, testing. Ah, the fun of a relatively new powertrain installed in a new/different platform.
you truly are a tuner geek huh! You sound like myself when I get started on some complicated electronics rant and all my buddies look at me with the stink eye. You are one smart dude yo! I for one am anxious to see in the months to come what test results you get back from all your mad scientist work on the engine for our engine. ****, I sure as hell have no idea what your talking about above! so its good news that someone is going to be testing this engine of ours.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by 08blackbaltss
without the better handling, better breaking etc but yeah.
Yes it handles better and brakes better but you make the SS/SC sound like it has drum brakes and a leaf spring suspension lol. In braking tests the TC stopped in 115ft the SC in 120.15ft . Skid pad TC .89G's , SC .87G's TC slalom 69.3mph 67.5 mph . The TC is better , but the SC is still pretty damn good.

Originally Posted by FiscalFizz
and your suggesting taking your Supercharger off.. and replacing it with a turbo kit..? Lawlz
People have been "taking off their superchargers" before the TC was released , why the lawlz? Turbos are more efficient than root style SC's , so it's logical to do if you want to make higher HP numbers. A turbo swapped SS/SC is easier to tune right now , and in most cases, it's more cost effective for a SC owner to do VS trading for a new TC

I'm not a TC hater by any means, it's a step forward , and has even more potential . It just seems like some SS/TC owners think that the SS/SC is a washed up POS. IMHO it's still a great car .

*All performance info was from edmunds, the only reason is they most likely used the same track's , testing equipment and test drivers.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 PM

Sometimes it a progression - and sometimes its a regression.

The SC is awesome. The TC is just an improvement.. Who knows what we'll see next.

Look at the EVO 8, 9 and 10. 8 was good, 9 was better.. 10 is a step back (in my book).
Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe

The SC is awesome. The TC is just an improvement.. Who knows what we'll see next.

Look at the EVO 8, 9 and 10. 8 was good, 9 was better.. 10 is a step back (in my book).
That's the truth! The EVO 10 is a step in the wrong direction. I hope if the Cobalt brand continues that we see something even better!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe

Yep i agree, the SS/TC is a definite step forward , and i'm actually looking forward to see some big numbers out of it .
Old 08-11-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by marcusicp
That's the truth! The EVO 10 is a step in the wrong direction. I hope if the Cobalt brand continues that we see something even better!
I still can't believe that a stock 08 TC beat a slightly modded EVO X
Old 08-11-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by 07BlackSS/SC
I still can't believe that a stock 08 TC beat a slightly modded EVO X
I think it was the driver of the EVO X that lost the race, not the car.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 AM

yea it was the driver... I seen a stock Evo X at the track run as fast as a 13.4 and as slow as a 13.9....I ran a 14.1 lol

from a roll the t/c has a chance
Old 08-13-2008, 07:00 PM

With the turbo's torque peaking sooooo early you can see how a bit larger turbo will do wonders for this car!!!!

So who is going to be the first to stuff a 35R in there?!?!

Where ever it is I want a ride damn it! LOL

Congrats on the numbers,
Josh
Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpLay2
yea it was the driver... I seen a stock Evo X at the track run as fast as a 13.4 and as slow as a 13.9....I ran a 14.1 lol

from a roll the t/c has a chance
Well, that particular race was from a roll.

This friday I'm selling a Subary Legacy GT 2005 (sniff!), and going to replace it with the SS (love the Legacy, but I needed to create some liquidity). They state 5.7 or so for the 0-60 in that car, but frankly, that's BS. If I want to abuse the living crap out of my clutch I can do that, but one little mistake and all that traction I have is absorbed by the clutch, and there you go - clutch stink and wear.

What I'm saying is I don't put any faith in the 0-60 times of an AWD car to represent it's real-world performance. It's great for 1/4 mile numbers, and 0-60 numbers, if you have deep pockets for clutches, but in the realm of normal people, I put faith in 5-60, and trap times, which better remove the "crazy launch" from the equation.

The legacy is a quick and nice car, but in the real world the SS is a lot faster (5-60).

Mal.

EDIT: adding numbers. I had a hard time digging up these numbers and I'm sure there are better ones out there, but the following reviews show the 5-60 time for the EvoX at 6.1, and the SS at 6.2, so it would be a driver's race from a roll.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/re...alt&icid=RSS_1

Last edited by malachii; 08-13-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:50 AM

Yep - I said from a roll its dead even.

We have a 500-575 weight advantage (my car weights 2890 without spare).

Quick Reply: Synapse Motorsport Dyno Tune on our Cobalt