Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   Thoughts On All Intakes Currently Avaliable For the SS/TC (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/thoughts-all-intakes-currently-avaliable-ss-tc-206581/)

Terminator2 03-24-2010 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by HB_SS/TC (Post 4787534)

That is what mine sounded like. Extra airflow causes surge doncha know. :lol:

julius41282 03-24-2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stamina (Post 4787561)
:wtf: :eek:

Correct. Word on the street (AEM) said that they later went to a metal ring reinforced elbow.

I think with that revision and the venturi we may have something promising.

If this is true that AEM changed the elbow that they were supplying with intakes because they found out it causes compressor surge...then they should be offering up a new reinforced elbow free of charge to the people who got the BOGUS oringinal one.

Stamina 03-24-2010 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by julius41282 (Post 4788220)
If this is true that AEM changed the elbow that they were supplying with intakes because they found out it causes compressor surge...then they should be offering up a new reinforced elbow free of charge to the people who got the BOGUS oringinal one.

From what I hear, they will be, but not yet. They are planning on offering customers a swap for a revised model, featuring both the reinforced elbow and venturi they are developing.

BYT*SS*TURBO 03-24-2010 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 4788062)

Ahh, see mine didn't do it like that when I had the issue, and neither did this other guy's car. It was a couple quick flutters. That actually sounds like the car is driving at idle LOL!

My bad :)

mkriebs 03-24-2010 10:47 AM

Wow, that sounds horrible! People always wonder whats wrong with my car because its so damn loud when I start it up... I would hate to hear what they say if it sounded like that.

Stamina 03-24-2010 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 4788062)

I don't understand that.

Surge is typically caused by an airflow reversal or too much suction head (restrictive intake).

Terminator2 03-24-2010 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO (Post 4788298)
Ahh, see mine didn't do it like that when I had the issue, and neither did this other guy's car. It was a couple quick flutters. That actually sounds like the car is driving at idle LOL!

My bad :)

Sounds terrible doesn't it LOL? It is hella bad for the turbo as well.

BYT*SS*TURBO 03-24-2010 11:26 AM

Oh, I dont doubt that! lol!!

julius41282 03-25-2010 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stamina (Post 4788256)
From what I hear, they will be, but not yet. They are planning on offering customers a swap for a revised model, featuring both the reinforced elbow and venturi they are developing.

That would be great if they would do that...assuming they get it right this time. I'm sure the AEM CAI owners are very interested as to when this will be happening, because I def. am.

importkiller 03-25-2010 05:58 PM

oh hell yeah If i can get my AEM working right then I would love to get it powder-coated and reinstalled.

Macgyver2484 04-17-2010 01:56 AM

Is there an ETA on when K&N will release an intake for the Cobalt tubro?

colodude18 06-22-2010 10:22 PM

Any news on this guys? My next performance mod is the CAI but I want to be sure whatever I get works well nows and (maybe) after an aftermarket tune.
Black 2010 SS/TC – GMS1, Hahn catted down pipe, Hahn catback exhaust | GM racing pedals | DEPO 4th gen projectors w/ 6K HIDs; smoked LED tails | Pioneer z110bt head unit, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Focal speakers all around
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...e18/SigPic.jpg
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3835837

mkriebs 06-22-2010 10:25 PM

Any of them will work with a tune.

tomgillotti 06-22-2010 10:31 PM

Stick with Hahn (and dump that GMS1 for Trifecta tune)

Originally Posted by colodude18 (Post 5044466)
Any news on this guys? My next performance mod is the CAI but I want to be sure whatever I get works well nows and (maybe) after an aftermarket tune.
Black 2010 SS/TC – GMS1, Hahn catted down pipe, Hahn catback exhaust | GM racing pedals | DEPO 4th gen projectors w/ 6K HIDs; smoked LED tails | Pioneer z110bt head unit, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Focal speakers all around
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...e18/SigPic.jpg
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3835837

Zander916 07-21-2010 03:42 PM

Ok... great write-up.... great discussion with some helpful info - but... question:
I have the modded snorkel, k&n drop in, and AEM elbow. Do you think simply switching to a OEM filter will help? I don't have logs to know how much skew there is. It seems to run fine until it's super humid or raining. It just gets kind of boggy. As in... gas is down but the rpms just sit there and the exhaust has a low growl..No power.
It doesn't act all strange otherwise or during cold start. I know the AEM will be the first to get blamed but I personally VERY highly doubt that's it or it wouldn't discriminate on the weather.
From what I've gathered here the filter might be the biggest problem. I don't care about a few ponies if it will drive smooth.

CatchMeIFyouCAN 07-25-2010 11:05 PM

just bought a dejon SRI.. and have a tune with vince through trifecta... previously had stock box with k&n intake modified... would you rec. me getting retuned for just the intake.. or say its not going to be much of a difference between that and the airbox mod w/ k&n... respond asap.. please!!

tomj77 07-26-2010 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stamina (Post 4788414)
I don't understand that.

Surge is typically caused by an airflow reversal or too much suction head (restrictive intake).

surge is caused by airflow reversal, when u shift gears and ur throttle body closes the air goes back into the turbo blades. bov or bpv opens to let off the air if there is something wrong with the bov or bpv u will get surge. so its not an intake issue, its a bov not opening properly issue.

FasterIsBetter 07-30-2010 01:24 AM

Compressor surging?

Hm, odd that your compressor surges at start-up. My AEM intake just causes my turbo to spool up easier. When I start it up on a cold start I hear the turbo spool up and it stays spooled til I whip the gas, almost like a choke. One quick rev of the engine and its fine. But I do have the misfire everyone has been talking about from the relocated MAF sensor messing up the fuel trims at idle, especially with the A/C on. Worst problem I've had has been the rain. If it rains a hell of a lot where you live, like 2-3 inches of rain on the roads, don't get a true CAI. You'll miss like crazy for a while because of the water coming through the bumper and fender.

Terminator2 07-30-2010 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter (Post 5131864)
Hm, odd that your compressor surges at start-up. My AEM intake just causes my turbo to spool up easier. When I start it up on a cold start I hear the turbo spool up and it stays spooled til I whip the gas, almost like a choke. One quick rev of the engine and its fine. But I do have the misfire everyone has been talking about from the relocated MAF sensor messing up the fuel trims at idle, especially with the A/C on. Worst problem I've had has been the rain. If it rains a hell of a lot where you live, like 2-3 inches of rain on the roads, don't get a true CAI. You'll miss like crazy for a while because of the water coming through the bumper and fender.

If this is true you are the only one I have ever heard of who has not experienced cold start compressor surge issues with the AEM intake (either version). I have a way to tune it out now by changing the cat heating cam tables for idle. :)

CatchMeIFyouCAN 07-30-2010 06:22 PM

i cant seem to find any info on installing the dejon intake pipe.. theres 3 "hose" connections on my pipe. one huge one and two smaller ones.. can anyone tell me what those go to? Ive had plenty of installs in my past time.. but havent installed one on my balt yet.. so im a little confused.. so much for a bolt on kit.. my stock only has 1 hose connection.. so if you know anything please hook me up. thanks!

Terminator2 07-31-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by CatchMeIFyouCAN (Post 5133139)
i cant seem to find any info on installing the dejon intake pipe.. theres 3 "hose" connections on my pipe. one huge one and two smaller ones.. can anyone tell me what those go to? Ive had plenty of installs in my past time.. but havent installed one on my balt yet.. so im a little confused.. so much for a bolt on kit.. my stock only has 1 hose connection.. so if you know anything please hook me up. thanks!

Sounds like it has a connection for a BOV recirculate tube. If you do not have a BOV then you would have to cap that one off. It is ~1 1/4" diameter.

CatchMeIFyouCAN 07-31-2010 07:34 PM

hmm

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 5134433)
Sounds like it has a connection for a BOV recirculate tube. If you do not have a BOV then you would have to cap that one off. It is ~1 1/4" diameter.

so i block off the big one, and the one next to that.. and just use the one with metal connector?

aside from that i have the ic piping coldside.. whats a good gasket to use for that sensor.. silicone or gasket maker

gotboost?17 08-01-2010 12:28 PM

good thread

Terminator2 08-02-2010 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by CatchMeIFyouCAN (Post 5134741)
so i block off the big one, and the one next to that.. and just use the one with metal connector?

aside from that i have the ic piping coldside.. whats a good gasket to use for that sensor.. silicone or gasket maker

Can you post up a picture of the intake I am not sure why it would have 3 hose connections on it. It should have a BOV recirc line and a PCV line.

gotboost?17 08-02-2010 06:23 PM

now will this hahn intake suck up water wial driving since its like a fender wall

Iam Broke 08-02-2010 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by gotboost?17 (Post 5138862)
now will this hahn intake suck up water wial driving since its like a fender wall

Yep, water comes in above the pass side fog light and by the headlight and soaks it in a downpour while driving.

CatchMeIFyouCAN 08-02-2010 10:18 PM

hmm

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 5137516)
Can you post up a picture of the intake I am not sure why it would have 3 hose connections on it. It should have a BOV recirc line and a PCV line.

how do i go about uploading pics... ;)

Terminator2 08-03-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by CatchMeIFyouCAN (Post 5139495)
how do i go about uploading pics... ;)

You have to host the images in imageshack or photobucket. Then you copy the link into the insert image.

JPizzle 08-03-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 5140636)
You have to host the images in imageshack or photobucket. Then you copy the link into the insert image.

Do you tune TBSS'? :lol: My mother just picked one of these monsters up. :)

Terminator2 08-03-2010 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by JPizzle (Post 5140641)
Do you tune TBSS'? :lol: My mother just picked one of these monsters up. :)

I can tune them. It is an LS2 like a GTO. You still thinking about tuning your car?

JPizzle 08-03-2010 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 5140657)
I can tune them. It is an LS2 like a GTO. You still thinking about tuning your car?

Yes. Exactly. It's a 2006 TBSS RWD. It has the LS2 with the Automatic Transmission. I think it's the 4L70E. And yes I am still thinking about you tuning my car. I would LOVE it RIGHT NOW, but I need to stay away from speed. So maybe I will be contacting you later this month, to see if you could tune both.... ;) But I would love for you to tune my car!

Terminator2 08-03-2010 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by JPizzle (Post 5140669)
Yes. Exactly. It's a 2006 TBSS RWD. It has the LS2 with the Automatic Transmission. I think it's the 4L70E. And yes I am still thinking about you tuning my car. I would LOVE it RIGHT NOW, but I need to stay away from speed. So maybe I will be contacting you later this month, to see if you could tune both.... ;) But I would love for you to tune my car!

You just have to do what I do, hit it hard for a couple seconds then let off so you are not doing 100 before you know it LOL.

JPizzle 08-03-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 5140679)
You just have to do what I do, hit it hard for a couple seconds then let off so you are not doing 100 before you know it LOL.

:lol:! Yes. I need to learn control over the throttle... It's very difficult for me not to hit it everywhere I go. But I think I am learning. :)

gotboost?17 08-03-2010 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke (Post 5139096)
Yep, water comes in above the pass side fog light and by the headlight and soaks it in a downpour while driving.

lol so y would u buy this intake?

Terminator2 08-05-2010 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by gotboost?17 (Post 5141444)
lol so y would u buy this intake?

None of us knew it until we bought the intake. So far no water issue with my AEM even when running down flooded roads. It rains almost everyday here in Florida.

Iam Broke 08-05-2010 03:19 PM

My SRI without any shielding will get wet also if it rains hard enough at freeway speeds.

Miko 09-16-2010 07:53 PM

Air flow simulation video of the MAF screen effect

I found this great flow simulation video on YouTube of the difference a MAF screen makes. Somebody could make some money I think if they sold a drop-in MAF screen solution for the intakes available for our car!

Don't freak out about the colours, the important thing to watch for is consistent flow across the sensor.

With a screen, notice how the flow is consistent across the MAF sensor, turbulence is filtered out and a steady signal and flow is acheived. This is what the sensor expects to see. :twothumbs

YouTube - Flow Illustrator MAF with Screen

Without a screen, looks okay at first but then WHOA! A huge turbulence wave blasts across the sensor! The MAF would read this as a spike in the signal and try to react even though really there is no change in the average flow through the intake. Result could be hesitation and a messed up AF ratio.

YouTube - Flow Illustrator MAF

MADDOGCORPSMAN 09-20-2010 01:14 PM

Reply to those regarding SRI by Dejon. Good results after 20 minute install-awaiting tune until I buy a charge piping set.

No surge issues that I can tell. No computer generated error lights. I did simply move the filter as far forward as it went and ended the turbulence. Oh, and I am happy with the powdercoat.

Nal 10-31-2010 11:43 AM

so has the k&n been reviewed?

08ssedan 11-14-2010 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nal (Post 5339400)
so has the k&n been reviewed?

This