2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Treadstone Cold Air Intake, w/ Honey Comb MAF Airflow straightener

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Treadstone Cold Air Intake, w/ Honey Comb MAF Airflow straightener

Were running a sale on our intake pipe and are now included the airflow straightener already soldered in!

Cobalt SS 2.0 LNF Turbo, Cold Air Intake. A true cold air intake for your turbocharged Cobalt. Made from 6061 heat treated aluminum and powder coated black for that factory stealth look! Gain up to 15hp with this bolt on! Can be used for stock turbos our our upgraded turbo kit with just a change in silicone size to turbo inlet.

Now Include a built in honeycomb MAF air straightener. The LNF motor is very picky when it comes to fuel trims and will throw the car into limp mode at the slightest misconstrued fuel trim. We have fixed this problem with a small insert right before the MAF sensor in our intake. They will be soldered in, so you dont have to worry about them coming loose, or moving.

HoneyComb MAF Mass Air Meter Airflow Straightener. These small additions to any cold air intake, turbo inlet pipe or anywhere a MAF sensor is located, will greatly improve the MAF readings "fuel trims" that the ECU sees. No more erratic MAF readings, fix lean or rich spikes, increase throttle response, fix idle, all of these can be improved with this small upgrade!

Now included!

Cobalt Turbo Kit, Cold Air Intake- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

Last edited by Treadstone; 04-08-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:26 PM

will there be any tuning required?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Former Vendor

All cold air intakes require additional tuning for maximum gain!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Hmmm, how extensively have you tested the flow of the honeycomb? I know its what we need to keep MAF trims in line for the least tuning, but just wondering how much it reduces flow. Wondering if the increased restriction will **** the turbo off (since it doesn't enjoy some filters).
Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Holy Santa Clause ****...I want that. How long is this special going until? My tax return is taking for ****ing ever
Old 02-09-2011, 03:34 PM

I have tuning done with mine. Got my LTFT chilling at -2.9. Just seeing if this will benefit more than the AEM CAI.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by efactor
I have tuning done with mine. Got my LTFT chilling at -2.9. Just seeing if this will benefit more than the AEM CAI.
The honeycomb has nothing to do with the LTFT, it has to do with the STFT. The reasoning behind the honeycomb is to make tuning easier, and more accurate. Right now, I would guess your STFT fluctuate between WOT and part throttle. The honeycomb will make the STFT fluctuate much less than an open tube intake would, because the air is laminar over the MAF sensor, which gives the MAF a more accurate reading.

LTFT is basically the sum of the STFT over time. Your LTFT could take days to weeks to change at all, or could stay the same.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by mkriebs
The honeycomb has nothing to do with the LTFT, it has to do with the STFT. The reasoning behind the honeycomb is to make tuning easier, and more accurate. Right now, I would guess your STFT fluctuate between WOT and part throttle. The honeycomb will make the STFT fluctuate much less than an open tube intake would, because the air is laminar over the MAF sensor, which gives the MAF a more accurate reading.

LTFT is basically the sum of the STFT over time. Your LTFT could take days to weeks to change at all, or could stay the same.
Oh how I don't miss trying to get that crap sorted out they were different on nearly a daily basis weather pending!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsandman
Oh how I don't miss trying to get that crap sorted out they were different on nearly a daily basis weather pending!
They always will be, thats why they are there. You try to take the best avg, and you leave it. The honeycomb is going to make a difference in how much they swing going from WOT to part throttle, but not from day to day because simply... the honeycomb cant change the weather. I had a cold weather tune and a hot weather tune. Both with airflow tables for that weather. If I was going to the track, I would log on my drive to the track and make my adjustments when I got to the track to make sure it was best suited for that day's DA and weather. Its never going to be perfect...

Basically, we can tune a regular intake really fkn well, and get it all sorted out. The honeycomb intake would be good for those who want to run an intake on a stock tune or GMS1 tune.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:59 PM

They always will be, thats why they are there. You try to take the best avg, and you leave it. The honeycomb is going to make a difference in how much they swing going from WOT to part throttle, but not from day to day because simply... the honeycomb cant change the weather. I had a cold weather tune and a hot weather tune. Both with airflow tables for that weather. If I was going to the track, I would log on my drive to the track and make my adjustments when I got to the track to make sure it was best suited for that day's DA and weather. Its never going to be perfect...

Basically, we can tune a regular intake really fkn well, and get it all sorted out. The honeycomb intake would be good for those who want to run an intake on a stock tune or GMS1 tune.
Oh I know...it was a bitch and a half trying to get it to be level. Eventually I just said F it, got it as close to stable as possible, and left it. I remember I noticed the biggest fluctuations when it was humid/raining.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:03 PM

Oh I know...it was a bitch and a half trying to get it to be level. Eventually I just said F it, got it as close to stable as possible, and left it. I remember I noticed the biggest fluctuations when it was humid/raining.
Yeah, the useable air is way less dense then, since its water vapor floating around in the air instead of air floating around in the air, haha.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:13 PM

but just wondering how much it reduces flow.
I'd be interested to see some tests on this bit...I'm sure it's minimal but I could be wrong
Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 PM

I'd be interested to see some tests on this bit...I'm sure it's minimal but I could be wrong
Yeah, I would like to see some side by side with the K&N. We have found the K&N is damn near perfect with stock.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 PM

Do the LSJ's have a built in Barometric Sensor like the LNF's do. As far as I know if your tune is properly set up in an LNF you could run it with no issues from -40 to 100 °F. The big issue with intakes in our car is that the MAF sensor is so picky and if the air is not laminar it does not take proper readings therefore in theory this honeycombe should straighten out the air making it more laminar and the readings from the MAF should be more stable.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm interested in playing with this on my K&N SRI. Not sure about the size or placement/fastening yet though.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by tom.g
Do the LSJ's have a built in Barometric Sensor like the LNF's do. As far as I know if your tune is properly set up in an LNF you could run it with no issues from -40 to 100 °F. The big issue with intakes in our car is that the MAF sensor is so picky and if the air is not laminar it does not take proper readings therefore in theory this honeycombe should straighten out the air making it more laminar and the readings from the MAF should be more stable.
As far as I understand, the fuel trims are made on a few things... air density, and AFR being the biggest factors. Weather plays a major part in air density, cold being super dense, hot and humid being far less dense. The more dense air you have, the more fuel you need, thus creating a variance from the 'set' point of where you tuned the car. Say, I tune the car today, its -5 right now where I live. But, tomorrow, the sun gets bumped 10 feet closer to the earth, and its 110, I am going to have a VAST difference in STFT, enough to disrupt the LTFT. Of course, thats never going to happen, but its exaggerated to prove a point, lol. The car can tell that the air is more dense my a number of sensors (Baro, MAP, MAF etc etc and AFR).

As for the LSJ... I THINK it has a baro sensor, but I could be wrong. Most modern cars have a baro sensor in the second Map sensor. But, I am no LSJ expert.

The honeycomb would tame the STFT variance on an untuned car, but if you know how to tune the fuel trims, its not going to matter. The weather mainly effects the LTFT, since those are changes over time. The STFT are changes in an instant, within seconds. This is where laminar airflow is going to make the difference. Weather will effect the STFT's by shifting the 'base' or 'set point' of where you tuned it. Say on an 80* day, I get it dialed in so the variance is +/- 1 STFT. The next morning its 60* out, its going to shift my STFT to something like <-2, >0. But, it will still have the overall same variance, and the LTFT will compensate by going -2, and the STFT will go back to +/- 1.

Make sense, or did I just walk in circles... I tend to do that when I have been doing math homework all day...
Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Former Vendor

were going to set up a group buy and also do some testing!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:14 PM

oh boy oh boy i needed a new intake for me new 5557 turbo im getting think i just found it
Old 03-24-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

WHO'S READY FOR A GROUPBUY?

I might think about picking up a data logger so I can actually see the fuel trim fluctuation. Im curious if this could be run without a tune to be honest. Anyone thats gotten the revised AEM intake? Did anyone try running that untuned?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Well I got my intake last night from treadstone. I ordered the cat back exhaust with no problems, but pretty unhappy with the intake. Opened it up this morning and theres no honey comb at all in the box let alone welded in the intake. Also missing the rubber coupler to connect the filter to the piping. I was pretty excited waiting 4 days for it I emailed them hoping to turn a mad customer into a happy customer for moar purchases!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by BoBSSMaC
Well I got my intake last night from treadstone. I ordered the cat back exhaust with no problems, but pretty unhappy with the intake. Opened it up this morning and theres no honey comb at all in the box let alone welded in the intake. Also missing the rubber coupler to connect the filter to the piping. I was pretty excited waiting 4 days for it I emailed them hoping to turn a mad customer into a happy customer for moar purchases!
*soldered*
I made a new screen name, the face book log in wouldnt let me edit it and kept kicked me off....so i donated too!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM

Jason will get back with you soon. I normally have a response in a hour or so. They will make it right.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Yeah, Jason will help you out. I didnt get the clamps with my IC kit and he sent them over night shipping so I got them the following day.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tom.g
yes the lsj engines do also have an onboard barometer
Old 03-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor

Ill send you the honey comb and missing coupler, send me a quick email to info@treadstoneperformance.com, or call me up. Super busy today so we might not get to the phones

Quick Reply: Treadstone Cold Air Intake, w/ Honey Comb MAF Airflow straightener