2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Warranty Problem! Possible Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty Problem! Possible Rebuild

So the other day I took my TC into the dealership because it was misfiring 3/4 cylinders and burning oil...so assumably a blown headgasket...

Yesterday they called me requesting oil change records due to the lack of oil in the car, so I provided them.

Today I got a call stating that in a bulliten "if piston 1 is malfunctioning, it probably has to do with aftermarket parts" <-That is verbatum what I was told....How do you justify that the car has had aftermarket parts if its stock, and the piston is burnt up...?

I just called and asked if they conducted a compression test and stated that only the 1st piston is having issues? How is that so if the OBD2 CEL's are 1, 3, & 4 pistons misfire?

I'm truly speechless at this point...

So I'm curious what could be wrong...they didnt get an actual diagnosis just a compression test and turned me away...

Any ideas?
If there is no way to pull my warranty I'm just going to rebuild the son of a bitch...
I'm leaving for Ft. Benning for Airborne School so I'll be able to deal without having a car...

so diagnosis and parts?

I'm wanting to build the **** out of it, money will be no issue...parts parts parts!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:04 PM

Did you have aftermarket parts and/or a tune on your car when you took it to the dealereship? If yes then they can deny you warranty if no you can tell them to pound sand, call GM and whine & bitch.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Does your sig say 25psi Trifecta tune?

If so, KABOOOOOOM.

It's amazing what that little extra power will get you. Blown engine mostly.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by USAMPDUFFY
money will be no issue...parts parts parts!
That's always a good thing
Old 03-24-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo

If so, KABOOOOOOM.

it does say 25PSI lol. I had to squint my eyes
Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 PM

I see I'm not the only one to have the punisher logos in my window.

Shitty tune for the loss.

If you are rebuilding it, get a new forged block from ZZP, trade in your old one. That is what I will do if mine goes.

Get an EFR turbo and call it a day.

How many miles on it when it blew?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

yeah.... make sure you flash everything back to stock. Also your sig has a ton of aftermarket stuff. They can try to void your warranty for a K&N drop in. Exhaust is the only mods safe to chance it with.
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"gm is my sponsor when i break parts on my modified car!"

this is what i see in your post.

25psi at one point...the car was taken to the dealership 100% stock...there is no way they can justify that it had aftermarket parts on it...
Old 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM

the exhaust is the only thing on the car, and he said that if the person who owned it before me went as far as to have an aftermarket exhaust on the car that he went further...i knew the previous owner...no aftermarket parts on the car at any time previous to my ownership...
Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
the exhaust is the only thing on the car, and he said that if the person who owned it before me went as far as to have an aftermarket exhaust on the car that he went further...i knew the previous owner...no aftermarket parts on the car at any time previous to my ownership...
Well they can't make assumptions like that. So you need to either fight with them or get to rebuilding on your dime.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS

"gm is my sponsor when i break parts on my modified car!"

this is what i see in your post.
I love this lol. But yes if you tuned the car and didnt have it done right then its your fault for it blowing up. On the other hand there is not a way Gm cant void your warranty for a catback. you have plenty of room to argue there. As long as they have no proof of the tune on it. did you flash it back to stock or send it in tuned?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
25psi at one point...the car was taken to the dealership 100% stock...there is no way they can justify that it had aftermarket parts on it...
Nobody is going to feel bad for you. Make your best case to your dealership and good luck!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned

lmao........... BRO if your flashed back to stock, a true diagnostic mechanic and a good shop can verify things, like if the car had a tune on it. I know the whole trifecta thing flashing a 0 on the end of the bcm so it shows its never been tuned, but when you have a car that has a bustd ringland with a ton of carbon build up and previous records on the bcm statiing previous boost levels and ect, it can be found.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
previous records on the bcm statiing previous boost levels and ect, it can be found.
Can you elaborate on this.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo

If so, KABOOOOOOM.

I thought the same thing. People wonder why it's so hard to get anything *legitimate* warrantied anymore.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by tom.g
Can you elaborate on this.
Allegedly, there is an way for them to determine the flash history of the ECM. I believe instead of looking at the CVN's on the Tech II, they use the Global Diagnostic System and pull the flash history.

Also, if the damage is suspicious enough, GM will at times send an engineer out to inspect the car before making a warranty determination. Hide-a-tune is only good against dealers who don't bother to look too hard into the issue... but catostrophic engine damage usually will get the third degree since the dealership could stand to eat a ton of money if GM decides that it wasn't something they were supposed to cover under warranty. Hide-a-tune will fool the CVN's, but it certainly won't fool GDS or an engineer.

That being said, OP can try and fight it (lawyer helps a bit), but I wouldn't be surprised if they toss a GDS handout at him and tell him to GTFO.

Last edited by Nighthawk243; 03-24-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nighthawk243
Allegedly, there is an way for them to determine the flash history of the ECM. I believe instead of looking at the CVN's on the Tech II, they use the Global Diagnostic System and pull the flash history.

Also, if the damage is suspicious enough, GM will at times send an engineer out to inspect the car before making a warranty determination.
That's because people were NLS, and having 25-30 psi tunes and blowing up stuff, then flashing it stock and taking it in. Which is why you don't NLS anymore and you won't fry ****. I've had over 50k miles on a 23 psi tune with full bolt ons and I have had no issues with my engine, actively changing out plugs and doing oil changes is really all you need. Now dealing with vibrations in pedals and mounts blowing up is a diff story haha.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM

Also, if the damage is suspicious enough, GM will at times send an engineer out to inspect the car before making a warranty determination. Hide-a-tune is only good against dealers who don't bother to look too hard into the issue... but catostrophic engine damage usually will get the third degree since the dealership could stand to eat a ton of money if GM decides that it wasn't something they were supposed to cover under warranty.
I think he's talking about the actual data recording. I think it's relatively new, but IIRC certain parameters are stored on a time-limited basis. I know someone with a VW that got nailed by vehicle-recorded data after flashing back to stock, but I wasn't aware that GM was doing it. In his case it recorded both max boost and max engine RPM, both of which were well above factory parameters.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 PM

anyone who runs in excess of 25psi on the stock turbo = fail. flowing hot air at that point.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 PM

Also, if the damage is suspicious enough, GM will at times send an engineer out to inspect the car before making a warranty determination. Hide-a-tune is only good against dealers who don't bother to look too hard into the issue... but catostrophic engine damage usually will get the third degree since the dealership could stand to eat a ton of money if GM decides that it wasn't something they were supposed to cover under warranty. Hide-a-tune will fool the CVN's, but it certainly won't fool GDS or an engineer.
That's interesting I thought with a Trifecta Flash back to stock or an HP Write Entire there was no possible way for them to check for past tunes / flash history. Only way they could tell is if there was a catastrophic failure and you brought it in but there was no trouble codes as they get wiped out when you flash back.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 PM

I might've misinterpreted the TSB... it appears the GDS were on the newer (2010+) "Global A" vehicles. Anything older/not on that Global A setup still uses CVN's on the Tech II.

Anyways, I'd still say that if the engineers get involved, there isn't any hiding it.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
I think he's talking about the actual data recording. I think it's relatively new, but IIRC certain parameters are stored on a time-limited basis. I know someone with a VW that got nailed by vehicle-recorded data after flashing back to stock, but I wasn't aware that GM was doing it. In his case it recorded both max boost and max engine RPM, both of which were well above factory parameters.
max boost and max rpm... lmao ive seen my gms1 goto 23 psi so i would be good... and rpm is still stock lol
Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ctn3mb
max boost and max rpm... lmao ive seen my gms1 goto 23 psi so i would be good... and rpm is still stock lol
Like I said, it was on a V-dub. No clue what, if anything, GM is using.

Either way, like Nighthawk says, if they pull in engineers, they more than likely going to be able to tell it was used and abused.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Like I said, it was on a V-dub. No clue what, if anything, GM is using.

Either way, like Nighthawk says, if they pull in engineers, they more than likely going to be able to tell it was used and abused.
Yeah depending on what the problem of the engine is. Which is why I don't do anything stupid to blow it up. Like 25+ psi or NLS. Now them scanning your ecu due to the transmission blowing up is very limited.

Quick Reply: Warranty Problem! Possible Rebuild