2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

zzp intake tube with k&N filter vs k&N typhoon intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zzp intake tube with k&N filter vs k&N typhoon intake

id their any difference in terms of power and turbo sound?
Old 09-02-2011, 12:00 AM

Power is going to be pretty much exactly the same. The K&N will be much louder.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For roughly $100 more than the ZZP tube and drop-in filter, you can pick up the K&N intake. I'd do it just for the sound
Old 09-02-2011, 07:50 AM

My car ran like crap with the K&N SRI on it. Tried to adjust the cone and all and it still didnt do much. It just doesnt feel the same car gets jerky and sounds nasty on cold start ups. The cat warm up process never works properly and it didnt run the greatest for the first 5 minutes or so. Dont get me wrong it was fun ass hell driving around with the noise it produces but if you like your car to operate normal then just run the stock box. I just put my ZZP tube on with my K&N drop in and you cant feel a difference between that and the SRI. The only reason people think it may be faster is because of the sound it produces. Unless you plan on getting a tune soon or you dont give a crap about how your car drives and all you want is a cool sound then get the SRI. If you want your car to run good on a stock tune get the ZZP tube and K&N drop in.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by KyFritz06SS
My car ran like crap with the K&N SRI on it. Tried to adjust the cone and all and it still didnt do much. It just doesnt feel the same car gets jerky and sounds nasty on cold start ups. The cat warm up process never works properly and it didnt run the greatest for the first 5 minutes or so. Dont get me wrong it was fun ass hell driving around with the noise it produces but if you like your car to operate normal then just run the stock box. I just put my ZZP tube on with my K&N drop in and you cant feel a difference between that and the SRI. The only reason people think it may be faster is because of the sound it produces. Unless you plan on getting a tune soon or you dont give a crap about how your car drives and all you want is a cool sound then get the SRI. If you want your car to run good on a stock tune get the ZZP tube and K&N drop in.
I agree totally with your post. But why would someone even put parts on their car expecting a performance gain if they were going to stay on the stock tune and have to deal with learn-down? I know if I wasn't going to have my car tuned, the most I'd probably change is the hot side CP for reliability and maybe a downpipe or cat-back for sound. No true performance gain should be expected.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 PM

I agree if your going to tune your car then a SRI or Cold Air Intake is the way to go. Im learning these motors are very finiky when it comes to some modifications and some people just dont take the route to tune there cars like they should be. These are not like the LSJ where you toss an intake on a stock car and it will run perfectly fine but give you a little better feel and a great sound. The LNF takes an intake and obviosly skews the MAF like crazy causing it to learn down. There is a few cars on here that are pushing out some serious power using the ZZP intake with a drop in and they probably would see a huge gain over that with an Intake.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
almost 40k miles with stock tune and K&N SRI, no difference from the OEM airbox. The car does not run like crap at all actually. If you rotate the cone, you need to reset the ECU otherwise it takes for ever to re-adjust the fuel trim.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the proper placement of the cone? My car is way down on power but I never reset the ecu from stock airbox
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
its roughly the 12 o clock postion give or take a few degrees towards the 1 o' clock.

I've visited South Carolina quite a few times so I know my setup works down there

(Use the metal clip holding the filter+wire folds together into the cone shape as your hour hand.)
Currently its 38*C outside this morning and Im running -1.5% long term fuel trim on my stock tune. My BYT tune was a +1.5%. Really not bad at all in my opinion. The K&N intake WILL work perfectly fine on the stock tune but if you rotate it because your car is running funny and you didnt reset the ECU then the car will still be running funny until the fuel trims correct.

Oh and what do you mean by down on power? No boost? or low boost? or the car feels alittle slower than it did with the stock airbox?

Ive run my car at the track stock everything and ran a 14.2 (because I suck). I've ran my car at the track with the intake and all the traditional bolt ons and ran a 14.01 (because I improved my driver mod ). stock tune of course on both accounts.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RPD shows it making like 220hp and it feels slow... i went a 9.4x@80 and 14.2@102.2(on the limiter) on a freaking 2.46 60-ft with it damn near cutting off on the launch... my worn out NT05's were chirping at the top of first gear on that pass. thats my one and only 1/4 mile pass ever and it was in 95* July heat at Darlington at F-Body Beach Bash this year haha.

the car is deff way lean, RPD is showing 15.5:1 before it corrects... in boost it was showing 15.2:1 during spoolup and 13.7 at 4500 or so when i hit it once to check... i guess i'll have to pull the battery and reset the ecu or steal my buddies hptuners and get back to playing with MAF tables and what not... i need to disable cold start on the car before i do my catless downpipe and MPx exhaust too lol

Last edited by RoadconeTuning; 12-01-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:48 AM

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in. When I first installed the K&N SRI, the LT+ST trims were lean, like 13%-15% lean. The cold startup idle was totally messed up. It wasn't running right at first but once on the road, it's not too bad.

I ended up getting HPTuners and tuned the MAF transfer function for the K&N SRI as well as the GM Stage 1 mod. The LT+ST trims are within +/- 3% now and it runs like a clock.

The reason I searched for this topic is that they dyno'd the Taurus SHO EcoBoost w/ and w/o the airbox assembly (yeah, no airbox at all) and found the tq/hp gains were within 3hp - hardly anything at all. The EcoBoost is speed density (no MAF) with closed loop due to the Wideband O2 sensors (just like the LNF except the LNF still has a MAF).

I'm curious as to whether the K&N SRI gains are substantial enough over the stock airbox and paper filter. My K&N SRI is loud, but how much power am I really gaining? I'd feel more comfortable with better air filtration and reduced air intake temperatures, but I understand once the air is compressed, the intake air temperature between a CAI and SRI is the same post-Intercooler.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Anyone not tuning for an intake has no buisiness saying they are crap. My 2 cents
Old 04-01-2016, 02:04 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
I just installed a K&N SRI to replace my modded air box/ZZP intake tube and with my K04R, it's a rather decent gain in power/torque. I knew it would be, scrictly based off of my Dad's car/setup but I had to have the fun noises to go along with the power increase

With the air box/ZZP setup, the car had a noticeable dip in power around 5200 and then it would recover. Now, it's making more power(+10-15 from 5K to 6500) and the dip is practically non-existent now.

So, for those who are running the stock turbo, the modded air box route should be more than sufficient. Anything past that, it's time to move on.