2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

2.0 s/c Pulley's

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zinner
I am agreeing with you that doing the intake/header/exhaust upgrades would be the best place to start with increaing power. Since if the engine has a better ability to breath it will better utilize more boost from any pulley/blower upgrades you do later.
You just described my entire mod plans in order I am getting a CAI, and exhaust together (downpipe back). Then probably a head and pulley far later in the year once I see some more products on the market and tests done with them. (I don't want to be the first person on CobaltSS.net with a post reading "So I blew up My Engine Today")
Old 02-15-2005, 08:53 AM

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum, but i've been reading up a lot on what's going on.

I've driven both the coupe and the sedan, when they were preproduction models and i loved em both. the coupe is the BEST! i'm waiting to get my hands on one of the early ss supercharged models

have you guys read about the quick mod that you can do w/ the supercharger? where you pull off and plug the vacume hose that goes into the supercharger. It ended up giving a lot of people peak boost of about 14.5 psi!! imagine if you did that with a smaller pulley?!?! yeah i know the heat problem is an issue... but just imagine the possibilities!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:59 AM

Welcome to the site. yeah I think there will be alot of things we can do to the engine. As for the heat issue, I think we will see some sort of aftermarket cooling system that will do the same thing the vacum hose does but also provides cooling
Old 02-15-2005, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by beanjapan
Hey guys, i'm new to the forum, but i've been reading up a lot on what's going on.

I've driven both the coupe and the sedan, when they were preproduction models and i loved em both. the coupe is the BEST! i'm waiting to get my hands on one of the early ss supercharged models

have you guys read about the quick mod that you can do w/ the supercharger? where you pull off and plug the vacume hose that goes into the supercharger. It ended up giving a lot of people peak boost of about 14.5 psi!! imagine if you did that with a smaller pulley?!?! yeah i know the heat problem is an issue... but just imagine the possibilities!
it spiked at ~13psi for most

no real power increase on a dyno has been confirmed yet
Old 02-20-2005, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Vita
it spiked at ~13psi for most

no real power increase on a dyno has been confirmed yet
Well we just have to wait for our cars to see how much they can "take". Hopefull we wont be seeing too many shops blowing motors.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by EvenStar
Well we just have to wait for our cars to see how much they can "take". Hopefull we wont be seeing too many shops blowing motors.
PSI-FI is on the frontline, with SMS as well, (they're going to focus on Redline performance packages)

i can't wait to hear about something blowing up, either that or the motor holding 300-400whp without anything going out....

fuel is the main concern as far as i know (injectors too small)
Old 03-06-2005, 11:05 AM

Wow there is a lot of dumb people on this site.
If you put a smaller pulley on the blower you will make more power. When you increase the amount of air going into an engine you can now burn more fuel and that makes power..

Thats why bigger engines make more power, and engines that rev higher. The more fuel you can drop into the engine the more power.

One thing you must remember, this car has a roots blower and roots blowers make a lot more heat then a centrifugal blower or a turbo. So you’re going to make less HP per psi because of the increased heat.

And the guy with the 03 cobra lied when he said adding more then 15 PSI on the cobra doesn’t make more HP only torque. Well I would believe this if the laws of physics didn’t exist under the hood of a cobra,
Hp = ( Torque * RPM ) / 5252 so if torque increases so does HP.

I think a good mod for the future, would be to install a twin screw blower on the cobalt. Keep an eye on Kenne Bell because they make these blowers. The twin screw works a lot like the roots blower making full boost instantly but makes less heat therefore making more HP per psi.
Im not a fan of centrifugal blowers, but im sure someone will figure out how to install one also..

But the turbo is the way to go if you can, it doesnt rob power from the engine to make boost, and doesnt create as much heat as other blowers..

Go ahead and put a pulley on the car, but make sure you get a dyno tune. You also want to make sure your injectors are big enough to support the fuel you will need, the last thing you want to do is go lean. Even with a built motor, if you go lean say bye bye to the engine..
Old 03-25-2005, 06:11 PM

Dumb people on this site, eh? As best I can tell, you have approximately two facts that you heard from someone (that aren't even totally correct to begin with), and based on that, you think you're some sort of expert.

Hang on while I explain.

If you put a smaller pulley on the blower you will make more power. When you increase the amount of air going into an engine you can now burn more fuel and that makes power..
No. There's no guarantee that a smaller pulley will increase airflow. Go learn about blower efficiencies. Also remember that BOOST is pressure, a measure of RESTRICTION. More boost means more air that the blower can't push into the combustion chamber. 20lbs on a stock LSJ is not a good thing, it means your head can't breathe for ****, and you're just going to end up melting something.

When you increase the amount of air going into an engine you can now burn more fuel and that makes power. Thats why bigger engines make more power, and engines that rev higher. The more fuel you can drop into the engine the more power.
This is what I mean about you apparently hearing this fact somwhere, and assuming that you've become an expert. In principle, this is correct. In practice, a combustion engine is not as simple as your Lego.

And the guy with the 03 cobra lied when he said adding more then 15 PSI on the cobra doesn’t make more HP only torque. Well I would believe this if the laws of physics didn’t exist under the hood of a cobra,
Hp = ( Torque * RPM ) / 5252 so if torque increases so does HP.
No. Again, you've no doubt read this equation somewhere and proclaimed yourself an expert. At a point, the amount of air the blower can push will plateau. Spinning it faster will result in no extra airflow, just excess heat. A smaller pulley can allow it to flow more at low RPMs, but won't make any more flow at high RPMs. Thus you increase low RPM torque, but not high RPM torque, resulting in the same *max* horsepower (more mid-band horsepower).

I think a good mod for the future, would be to install a twin screw blower on the cobalt. Keep an eye on Kenne Bell because they make these blowers. The twin screw works a lot like the roots blower making full boost instantly but makes less heat therefore making more HP per psi.
Im not a fan of centrifugal blowers, but im sure someone will figure out how to install one also..
No doubt this is all based on your vast knowledge of, and experience with blowers....

You really have no basis upon which to call others dumb unless you're a genius yourself. As best I can see, you're not.

Next time, make sure you know what you're talking about before you go calling other people dumb.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tooleman
Wow there is a lot of dumb people on this site.

There is no need for this kind of talk. Our goal is to provide a friendly atmosphere for all. Please read the site rules because this will not be tolerated here. If you feel the need to call someone names, email them, but don't degrade the site with those kind of posts.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Moderator Alumni

I believe that the GM factory Eco Cavy made 350 HP with 2 psi of boost. It's all about CFM and that engine had it

I used to think it was boost you wanted over all but after a lot of reading and research and posts on board like this I realize there are quite a few factors that go into boost.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:04 AM

I dont really think there would be a problem with over-heating.
Its spring and it just snowed by me last week. lol

unless you live in navada or something you should have nothing to worry about.

Id prob set my boost around 15-16psi just to be on the safe side. If ur not gonna be going mad with it but still gonna have some fun kickin some srt @$$ then thats prob the best setting without hurting the engine. Just thinking of long-term. I plan on having my cobalt for a long time. I dont want something going wrong because of some mod. I think everyone can agree with that one. lol unless ur some rich @$$.. lol then feel free to experiment and let me know what happens.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:32 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JonelZ
Jonel, yes we have our DUB Interchangeable Supercharger Pulley Unit for the
new Cobalt units, from sizes 3.4" down to 2.60" . Hope this helps, as you
will need to remove the 4 bolts securing the supercharger to remove the
stock pulley and install our new unit. This is about an hour job to make
this change. Hope this helps.
Check out the new Cobalt SS pulley section here:

http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/...dub_system.htm

Old 04-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Moderator Alumni

Thanx for all the info and work sfph.

Are you guys just making the pulleys or are you also mod'ing the LSJ cars?

I would be interested in something like this as soon as exhaust/intake systems come up to speed. It seems like thats the first places to start.

Have you actually put a pulley on a SS/SC yet?

um I think thats all for now.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:57 AM

what sux is even with their 1 lb boost pulley it requires 93 octain. so that kinda ruuins it for some people that have no access to 93 octain. my only access is 91 then next is 100 octain. maybe mix a bit of the two, who knows.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:51 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zinner
Thanx for all the info and work sfph.

Are you guys just making the pulleys or are you also mod'ing the LSJ cars?

I would be interested in something like this as soon as exhaust/intake systems come up to speed. It seems like thats the first places to start.

Have you actually put a pulley on a SS/SC yet?

um I think thats all for now.
zinner, yes, we are making the smaller supercharger pulleys for the Cobalt SS and the Ion Redline at this time. We are still in the test stages with a couple of our customers who are installing these pulleys and going to be getting back to us on their results. We recommend using 93 octane with these pulleys, but we also realize in California, Arizona that can only use 91 octane.

But by also regapping the sparkplugs down .005, does lower cylinder temperatures somewhat at wide open throttle. We have not yet ourselves installed one of our own supercharger pulleys onto a Cobalt SS or Ion Redline, as have been told it is not that complicated. We will be offering Installation Instructions with every kit we sell in the future.

We will also be offering the new K&N FIPK Intake system the end of this month, as they are on backorder right now for these new vehicles. Hope this helps, as we will post more information as we recieve it from the couple different speed shops we support.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:34 AM

Yah i really want to know if creates more heat or not...because if it doenst it will probly be the first mod i do but if it does ill probly do a CAI or exhaust
Old 04-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by SFPH
We will also be offering the new K&N FIPK Intake system the end of this month, as they are on backorder right now for these new vehicles. Hope this helps, as we will post more information as we recieve it from the couple different speed shops we support.
Nice K&N will be offering a SS/SC specific intake system? I checked out the redline and it's air intake system is routed my differently than that SS/SC. Just want to be sure you mean the SS/SC.

I recently pulled apart the fender well to check out exactly how the air intake it routed/setup. You can check it out at the link below.

http://www.cobaltss.org/gallery/aircleaner

If you need someone to help test out the K&N system for the Cobalt SS/SC send me a PM. I can give it a shot and take lots of pictures during the install. Pictures definetly sell a product for me.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by SFPH

Yah I'll be willing to test the product as well

zinner...what is a PM?????
Old 04-20-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS313
Yah I'll be willing to test the product as well

zinner...what is a PM?????
PM = Private Message

Old 04-20-2005, 06:05 PM

thats cool that u guys are looking into it. and good that u realize that california doesnt have regular access to 93 octain , i'm sure a msd ignition setup will help with not needing the 93 octain and be able to use 91. definatly keep us informed. looking real good thus far.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:25 PM

I don't think the issue is engine overheating..its the s/c overheating and frying...I mean at 12psi's were making 205 (let's just say that) at 16-18 psi's we'll be making at least 240 and then bolt ons on top of that ....BUT only thing we can do is just to wait and see
Old 04-26-2005, 03:10 PM

There is something seriously wrong with the way you guys are going about choosing pulleys. I stumbled upon your website via clubgp.com when someone posted a link here about someone's SS dyno and how he was making 205 at the wheels. I must say very impressive.

HOWEVER, this thread lacks something which I find really frightening. No one has mentioned a scanner. Anytime you mess with boost, you MUST scan it to make sure your car is healthy and runs good. Saying that you "should" be good with I/H/E and a smaller pulley is not satisfactory. There have been more than one instance in the GP community of people with I/E and Tstat that still get a lot of KR. Although I understand that you have an IC from the factory and it is oversided and all, Knock should still be the number one priority.

I would really expect more from a vendor than what has been displayed. The vendor's responsibility is to warn people about the possible dangers of going overboard in modding, especially without the proper support. Saying you can just slap on a smaller pulley without even doing some research on the effects of smaller pulleys on the specific car is very dangerous. Now you might just be fine with going with a smaller pulley completly stock, but who has done the research? How has taken a sampling from more than one car on the effects of a smaller pulley. Has anyone ACTUALLY put on a smaller pulley?

Take my post for what you want, but seeing this made me very disturbed. I would really hate to see lots of broken SS/RLs because of not monitoring their car carefully enough. Like I said, you may be just fine, but until someone does the research, I would be very cautious.

cliffnotes: i think you need a scanner because engine could go BOOM
Old 04-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by stuffy236
There is something seriously wrong with the way you guys are going about choosing pulleys. I stumbled upon your website via clubgp.com when someone posted a link here about someone's SS dyno and how he was making 205 at the wheels. I must say very impressive.

HOWEVER, this thread lacks something which I find really frightening. No one has mentioned a scanner. Anytime you mess with boost, you MUST scan it to make sure your car is healthy and runs good. Saying that you "should" be good with I/H/E and a smaller pulley is not satisfactory. There have been more than one instance in the GP community of people with I/E and Tstat that still get a lot of KR. Although I understand that you have an IC from the factory and it is oversided and all, Knock should still be the number one priority.

I would really expect more from a vendor than what has been displayed. The vendor's responsibility is to warn people about the possible dangers of going overboard in modding, especially without the proper support. Saying you can just slap on a smaller pulley without even doing some research on the effects of smaller pulleys on the specific car is very dangerous. Now you might just be fine with going with a smaller pulley completly stock, but who has done the research? How has taken a sampling from more than one car on the effects of a smaller pulley. Has anyone ACTUALLY put on a smaller pulley?

Take my post for what you want, but seeing this made me very disturbed. I would really hate to see lots of broken SS/RLs because of not monitoring their car carefully enough. Like I said, you may be just fine, but until someone does the research, I would be very cautious.

cliffnotes: i think you need a scanner because engine could go BOOM
Well I agree. There have been a couple posts about this. One is actually started by me.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/autotap-2165/
Old 04-26-2005, 06:03 PM

huh, cant believe i missed that thread. Also, another good scanner to look at is the LS1m (www.ls1m.com). It uses a palm pilot to record and is around $300-$350 including the palm pilot. Less if you already have one.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by stuffy236
huh, cant believe i missed that thread. Also, another good scanner to look at is the LS1m (www.ls1m.com). It uses a palm pilot to record and is around $300-$350 including the palm pilot. Less if you already have one.
I checked that out too but since it seemed v8 orientented I figure it wasn't any better than autotap. I was thinking about the USB version since I have a laptop already.

Quick Reply: 2.0 s/c Pulley's