2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

2.4L vs. 2.0L Biggest question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two things guys:

1) The 2.4L turbo in the Saturn and Pontiac roadsters is unlikely to make it into the cobalt line in my opinion. I am sure that that enginge will remain exclusive to those two cars. The 2.4L turbo cobalt would likely be cheaper than the rear-drive roadster with the 2.4L turbo, so it wouldn't make marketting sense. Maybe they would do a 2.4L T with AWD. But then the car is much heavier, and would be no faster than a FWD SS-SC! Besides, the AWD Cobalt is considered to merely being rumored as a possibility for production! They tried to do AWD, rear-engine Corvettes that never happened too!!!! I really don't see this engine in a cobalt!

Also, I have not heard anything about this AWD Cobalt anywhere else. If you look at Car & Dirvers: Future Buyers Guide (http://www.caranddriver.com/default.asp?section_id=47) or Motor Trends: Future Vehicle Forecast (http://www.motortrend.com/future/), neither mentions anything about significant changes to the Cobalt in the next few years. I don't think this is going to happen. Bob Lutz is a car guy and he's not going to let the engine of Pontiac's pure performace roadster be used in anything else in my opinion, especially not a FWD or AWD econo-box (no offense to the "Bolt cause it's a great machine).

Plus in 2007, GM is coming out with a top-of-the-line Chevy HHR which will be powered by the same ECOTEC 2.0L Supercharged engine producing 205HP that the Cobalt SS already has! Wouldn't they put the 2.4L turbo in it if thats what they would do to the Cobalt???? Chevy is also testing a Supercharged 427 Motor in the Corvette, and will possibly sell this 600HP super-vette soon!

Also, look at the competition for the Cobalt SS-SC. It blows away the RSX Type S, runs nearly with the SRT-4 (which is gone after this year) and the new Civic Si (with 197HP, 6 speed) which chould get wasted no-prob by the 'Balt! Wanna bet the replacement to the SRT-4 will have a supercharger??? Even Fords SVT (Shitty Vehicle Team ) Focus is on hiatus!!!! Cobalt will waste the RSC replacement or the Civic Si cause they have no torque whatsoever!!!

Sorry guys, I feel strongly that you won't see a 2.4L turbo in a front-drive Cobalt SS! I'd rather have the 2.0L Supercharged than the 2.4L Turbo. Better fuel economy, and no turbo lag! With high gas prices, the 2.0L supercharged will sell way better than a 2.4L Turbo!!!

Power isn't everything either! A balanced chassis, good brakes, and precise handling go just as far.

Buy the damn SS-SC, cause it's one hell of a machine!!!!!!!!

2) There seems to be much confusion about power levels on the corvette, so here is a breakdown, and I am 100% sure of this:

C5 Coupes/Convertables 97-2000 had LS1 345HP
C5 Coupes/Convertables 01-20004 had LS1 350HP (used new intake off of Z06 LS6)
C5 Z06 for 2001 had LS6 385 HP
C5 Z06 02-2004 had LS6 405HP (due to some minor internal changes)
C6 2005-2006 have LS2 400HP
C6 2006 Z06 has LS7 505HP
Old 09-15-2005, 02:05 AM

SVT shitty? I don't think so. the SVT Focus had more technology and research put into it than anything the cobalt has.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Domestics Pwn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phxSS
SVT shitty? I don't think so. the SVT Focus had more technology and research put into it than anything the cobalt has.
Cosworth.... The headers put on that car from the factory were unbelievable... cant even find aftermarkets because nobody could make any that produced more power !

You may not like Fords (im not a fan or anything but I did own an SVT focus) but the SVT Cobra and Lightning are nice vehicles and can make a lot of power...
Old 09-15-2005, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by phxSS
Sorry not a Ford fan. I'm sure it was a decent car though. I don't see how the SVT Focus has more technology or research than the Cobalt SS-SC though???? The ECOTEC engines are very advanced, the car was tuned at the Nurburgring and Milford Proving grounds. The Cobalt also has ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) which I don't think the Focus did. Plus the cobalt has the electro-hydraulic steering that changes depending on speed/effort. The Cobalt is a very advanced car, not to mention it would spank the **** out of the SVT Focus on or off track!!!!

I've never heard anyone citing the Focus' technology as a a high-mark of the car!!!! Is this the same engineering that led Ford to use an cast-iron block on the previous SVT Cobra Mustangs because the aluminm blocks destroyed themselves in testing? How about the Ford GT's hefty near-3500 lb curb weight despite an aluminum chassis or the fact it needs a supercharger to make 550HP? The '06 Z06 is 400 lbs lighter and makes only 50 HP less while being naturally aspirated and will kick the **** out of the Ford GT at less than half the price!!!!

How about ford in F1? They went and bought out Stewart GP, and drove the team to the back of the grid. Then they sold it along with Cosworth! What a joke! At least when GM goes racing they run at the front or near it!

If those aren't quality Blue Oval engineering examples, I don't know what is!

I just bashed the focus cause I can get away with that here!!! Besides, whats a Ford guy doing driving a Chevy Cobalt if you think it's so un-advanced technologically????
Old 09-15-2005, 02:54 AM

^^^^ I'm a Ford guy, couldn't find a used SVT Focus, and couldn't afford a new Mustang, so the Cobalt SS got a look.

Thats why I'm here
Old 09-15-2005, 06:10 AM

Thanks guys for all the info, and i will be deciding over the next few months on what to do.. The guy that was going to purchased my truck couldnt get a loan... DAMNIT!! Oh, well, back to square one..

I do still want a 2.0L though... Test driving it, is a huge "must"... I have been thinking and drooling over the possibilities for a while... Even to the point i have dreams driving this rod of a vehicle... Scary hugh? Over the years owning cars/trucks i havent been this excited in a long time, since my 2000 GT vert... Every time i see a Cobalt on the road, i am craining my neck to see if it is a SC/SS... This next weekend, not the one coming up, the one after, i am going to test drive it again....and again, and again.... you get the picture... then ill order one most likely, so i will get a FRESH ONE!!! So itll come wrapped in a nice big bag, and twisted with a colored twist tie with my name on it.. ((Totally Wierd Off Topic: For those who didnt know, colored twist ties on your bread tells what specific day it was brought to the store, so you will know the freshest bread))

My meaning, it'll be ONLY MINE TO DRIVE the HELL OUT OF!!!! YEEEHA!!! Of course after the typical Break-In period....

Thanks again, for clearing my head....and laughing at some of your replies to the Vettes.. Later.....
Old 09-15-2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by mi6_
Two things guys:

1) The 2.4L turbo in the Saturn and Pontiac roadsters is unlikely to make it into the cobalt line in my opinion. I am sure that that enginge will remain exclusive to those two cars. The 2.4L turbo cobalt would likely be cheaper than the rear-drive roadster with the 2.4L turbo, so it wouldn't make marketting sense.
Actaully it makes perfect marketing sense.

They are two comletely different vehciles and are targeted at different consumers. Someone who wants a 2 seater Solstice will not say, "Hey what a waster of money I can get the cheaper Coblat!" See what I am getting at?

There is no problem sharing the same engine. And from all indications it a a 2.0 Turbo
Old 09-15-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cobal-lution
You got it.
The LS1 from 97 to 00 had 345 HP as it states right in my users manual. From there up to 04, the LS1 was bumped up by 5 HP. Any my correction, about the 2001 LS6 Z06, it does have 385 HP, then bumped up to 405 for the later years
Old 09-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Banned

Just put yourself in the place of the person who bought one of the last 1997 Camaro SS's.

Then 2 days later he sees a 1998 Camaro SS sitting on the lot.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 97cavie24ls
yeah they bolt pattern is the same for the wheels

both are 5lug 5x110 , and 4 wheel disks
I thought that the SS/SC and SS/NA were different lug patterns? Isn't the SS/SC the only Cobalt model to have the 5x110?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by avro206
Actaully it makes perfect marketing sense.

They are two comletely different vehciles and are targeted at different consumers. Someone who wants a 2 seater Solstice will not say, "Hey what a waster of money I can get the cheaper Coblat!" See what I am getting at?

There is no problem sharing the same engine. And from all indications it a a 2.0 Turbo

the 2.0 litre turbo ecotec from the sabb 9-3 ..that would make economic sense but I think they are thinking 2.4 litre turbo for the Solstice and Sky from what I have read
Old 09-15-2005, 11:47 AM

2.4 TURBO is not true

Lets get one thing straight. THE SKY/SOLSTICE is not getting a 2.4l turbo. It's a 2.0 turbo. I don't think we'll see a 2.4L turbo/supercharger from GM. Don't spread rumours you might make someone upset.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by SS_Canuck
I thought that the SS/SC and SS/NA were different lug patterns? Isn't the SS/SC the only Cobalt model to have the 5x110?

both the ss/sc and the ss/na are 5lug , because of the 4wheel disks

gm might do stupid stuff , but doing 2 different 5lug bolt patterns for the 4wheel disks , i cant see them doing

and the HP specs i gave for the LS? motors i pulled off the top of my head , guess i shoulda said that , but i was alot closer

and more realistic than the guys that didnt know what they were talking about

and ive heard both the 2.0 and 2.4 are the turbo motor in the solstice and sky , which it will actually be only GM knows at this time

best money would be a 2.4 turbo , but knowing GM they will mess it up and use the 2.0
Old 09-15-2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by mi6_
Sorry not a Ford fan. I'm sure it was a decent car though. I don't see how the SVT Focus has more technology or research than the Cobalt SS-SC though???? The ECOTEC engines are very advanced, the car was tuned at the Nurburgring and Milford Proving grounds. The Cobalt also has ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) which I don't think the Focus did. Plus the cobalt has the electro-hydraulic steering that changes depending on speed/effort. The Cobalt is a very advanced car, not to mention it would spank the **** out of the SVT Focus on or off track!!!!

I've never heard anyone citing the Focus' technology as a a high-mark of the car!!!! Is this the same engineering that led Ford to use an cast-iron block on the previous SVT Cobra Mustangs because the aluminm blocks destroyed themselves in testing? How about the Ford GT's hefty near-3500 lb curb weight despite an aluminum chassis or the fact it needs a supercharger to make 550HP? The '06 Z06 is 400 lbs lighter and makes only 50 HP less while being naturally aspirated and will kick the **** out of the Ford GT at less than half the price!!!!

How about ford in F1? They went and bought out Stewart GP, and drove the team to the back of the grid. Then they sold it along with Cosworth! What a joke! At least when GM goes racing they run at the front or near it!

If those aren't quality Blue Oval engineering examples, I don't know what is!

I just bashed the focus cause I can get away with that here!!! Besides, whats a Ford guy doing driving a Chevy Cobalt if you think it's so un-advanced technologically????
You went a little off-topic on your post. i was strictly comparing the svt focus and cobalt ss. First off, most racers that actually go to the track often, prefer to feel the road through the steering, something you can't do with the SS. also, I don't like the ETC. I prefer throttle cable. More responsive. And besides the awesome engine on the svtf, it had more options thatn the SS has. I especially loved the dual stage intake runners. had a VTEC kick to it..I'm not joking! And with a $300 chip, you can rev that bay to 7600rpm. It was a blast! And the exhaust is WAY BETTER than the stock SS exhaust. The downfall of the car was the tall gearing, which resulted in slow 1/4 mile times. And the car was tuned horrible from the factory. But like I said $300 takes care of that.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:46 PM

i perfer cubic inches...a turbo or nitrous or supercharger are just power adders...get to the core! have a good foundation with bullet proof parts and then add your power adders!

so i would say 2.4!
Old 09-15-2005, 04:57 PM

^^^ yea, soubd good.....

1.) $20k for car
2.) $3k for turbo
3.) $1k for professional install
4.) Lower compression pistons, and other necessary drivetrain part $1k
5.) $1k for professional installation
6.) Time to have your car out of commission=priceless
7.) voiding your warranty big time=priceless
8.) having money for all this PLUS making car payment= why bother?

So after thinking of the above items, you're right..I would go fo the 2.4 also
Old 09-15-2005, 05:16 PM

Friends, Corvettes are my territory.

C4 Engines:
L83 (Cross Fire Fuel Injection): 1984: 205 h.p.
L98 (Tuned Port Fuel Injection): 1985-1991: 230 h.p. to 245
LT1: 1992-1996: 300 h.p.
LT4: 1996: 330 h.p. (modified LT-1 only available w/ 6 speed manual as ZR-1 replacement)
LT5 (4 Cam 32 Valve, available only with a 6 speed): 1990-1991: 375 h.p.; 1992-1995: 405 h.p.

C5 Engines:
LS-1: 1997-2001: 345 h.p.; 2002-2004: 350 h.p.
LS-6: 2001: 385 h.p.; 2002-2004: 405 h.p.

C6 Engines:
LS-2: 2005-??: 400 h.p.
LS-7: 2006-??: 505 h.p.

Do ya wanna go farther???

Anyway, the point here is not the Corvette, it's the 2.4 versus the 2.0. As some of our other fellows pointed out, evolution in cars is something we have to live with. You are only truly guaranteed dominance for ONE model year by the car companies, because they constantly want you to trade your old clunker in for the NEWER, BETTER version. Buy whatever the hell your gut tells you today and just enjoy it, because if you try to predict the future, you'll end up in a freakin' insane asylum...
Old 09-15-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by djpatrick35
Friends, Corvettes are my territory.

C4 Engines:
L83 (Cross Fire Fuel Injection): 1984: 205 h.p.
L98 (Tuned Port Fuel Injection): 1985-1991: 230 h.p. to 245
LT1: 1992-1996: 300 h.p.
LT4: 1996: 330 h.p. (modified LT-1 only available w/ 6 speed manual as ZR-1 replacement)
LT5 (4 Cam 32 Valve, available only with a 6 speed): 1990-1991: 375 h.p.; 1992-1995: 405 h.p.

C5 Engines:
LS-1: 1997-2001: 345 h.p.; 2002-2004: 350 h.p.
LS-6: 2001: 385 h.p.; 2002-2004: 405 h.p.

C6 Engines:
LS-2: 2005-??: 400 h.p.
LS-7: 2006-??: 505 h.p.

Do ya wanna go farther???

Anyway, the point here is not the Corvette, it's the 2.4 versus the 2.0. As some of our other fellows pointed out, evolution in cars is something we have to live with. You are only truly guaranteed dominance for ONE model year by the car companies, because they constantly want you to trade your old clunker in for the NEWER, BETTER version. Buy whatever the hell your gut tells you today and just enjoy it, because if you try to predict the future, you'll end up in a freakin' insane asylum...

yeah go farther , the infamous BLUE DEVIL , muhahahahahahahahaa

600 said hp from a s/c'd LS7 motor

muhahahahhaahhaaha

Old 09-16-2005, 02:13 AM

Wink

Hey guys about the solstice and sky, i just read that they will be using the 2.2L Platform, but again this is a preliminary study i believe. I think i read it in the Car and Driver section or was it MSN new cars for 2007... Cant remember, but i lost the ad before i could post it here... I know i did read it right. A 2.2L Turbo Ecotec VVTI engine i believe it said.... I aslo read the in 2007 the Neon will be avail in a V6 for once, and believe this might be the SRT-4 Platform that will be worked out for the now outdated SRT-4 design... I was thinking about an SRT-4 for a long time since i am a current mopar fan, and have been for a while. The SRT-4 out performs most vehicles out there, the stage 3 platform is something to drool about... NO JOKE... Those of you that havent driven in a stage 3, need to take it for a spin, because after you are done you dont know if you were driving the car, or the Car Was Driving You!!!

That said i can see the SC/SS going pretty far, as long as GM does short side it with a better model in 2 years. I see aftermarket coming out with a ton of stuff for it, but i think even if i bought the 2.0L SC/SS i would have alot of room to MOVE around in... I gotta tell you i love this car... seriously.. Twincharging it, is an interesting concept and i would love to see the numbers of this mod soon after its completion. I keep forgetting who won that contract, Grevana, or something close to it... they have about 6 weeks i believe to constrct one for this next SEMA... I would love to see this, and cant wait for pictures of this vehicle to hit the WEB..!!!

thanks again guys/gals ill keep you updated... I do alot of reading at night (work), so i will keep you informed, so here is A LOT OF READING FOR YOU....

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives..._summer_d.html