2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

AIS Meth injection kit install complete but Engine Power Recuded problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIS Meth injection kit install complete but Engine Power Recuded problems

Hi,

I just completed my kit installation now, see:
http://www.ticpu.net/~jerome/pics/?path=./meth
I used those page to help me, thanks to you guy:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show....php?p=2198103
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/pictures-videos-64/devils-own-progressive-kit-installed-w-pics-106754/

However, there has been a leak on the plug on the top of the supercharger, I think it leaks where it screws in, I used teflon like we use for plumbing on the thread of the screw. After screwing it real hard, it seemed to work, but during my test runs, the 3 first real tests were leaking (going from 0 - 160 km/h attaining full boost) and ran okay and the final one I had a big power drop after shifting to second, at about 3500, check engine light, infamous "Engine power reduced", and no way to go above 1500, I looked up the codes:
P0068 and if I recall correctly (which I maybe not) P0131, which was a code related with the sensor just after the methanol port, the car was making popping sounds at the tail of the pipe, but thats probably because of the "engine power reduced" and timing was retarded (was ranging from 10 to -30%) as I could read too. I should also add this was not my personnal OBDII reader, a friend of mine had one in his car.

After 3 startup with the pump unplugged, it seemed to work correctly, looks like it needed to clear a code or evacuate the methanol, I couldn't tell. So the pump remains unplugged until I can make more tests or if anyone of you have an idea of what could happen. I used a cheap -45°C windshield washer fluid which I thoroughly shaked to be sure it makes no soapy bubbles, and it smells just like methanol by itself.

I didn't make all the test yet, but in my test, I'll have to check;
- When does the pump start injecting, does it flood the motor?
- Did it break the sensor just after the methanol port?
- Did something enter the intake while I was making my modifications?

If you have any other idea of what I could check, I take them!
Thanks for your time.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 AM

Since you have this installed AFT of the Throttle Body, you will need to make sure you have a check-valve installed as close to the injection point as possible. You may be getting some siphoning from the vaccuum created aft of the throttle body. YOu might even need a solonoid to keep the meth from getting in when you dont want it.

You may also have too big a jet, pump coming on too soon, etc.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Bannned

the pump comes preset at 10psi. the pump pressure comes stock at 150psi, dont touch that. your probably flooding it.... so turn your pressure switch up to 12-13psi. 1 full turn
Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 AM

this is in the wrong thread.....you should have posted this in the AIS forum not the 2.0LSJ Performance Tech. i havent installed one yet tho i know alot about them....post in the AIS forum or call AIS and they will be more then happy to help you fix this problem...also when are you spraying?...do you have Stage1 or 2 kit?...for stage 1 you should be spraying at about 70% of your Max boost
Old 06-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Bannned

he has the stage 1 kit. check out his pics

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...s+mount&page=6
post 103

Last edited by ColeJJones; 06-25-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 AM

why did you choose to put it on the charger and not the intake?...i don't think it makes a huge difference but make sure your spraying at about 70% of your total boost.... i.e. if your max boost is 13psi...you should be spraying at 9psi boost
Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pully Police
Since you have this installed AFT of the Throttle Body, you will need to make sure you have a check-valve installed as close to the injection point as possible. [...]
You may also have too big a jet, pump coming on too soon, etc.
For the check-valve, it's installed just just before the supercharger, it's a piece of about 7cm with an arrow on it directed toward the supercharger, it was included in the kit, I forgot to take a picture of this part, I'll do that once I'm back home.

In the kit, after specifing my car, they included 2 nozzles, I used the smallest one.

For the installation after the throttle body, I did that because I've seen the installation done that way on the AIS web site, and after reading, it was said to be equivalent in this kind of setup, so, I decided to install after to prevent the mist from condensing on the throttle body (however, I don't think this would have happen anyway).

I'll have to check if I can tune when it starts injecting once I'm back home, can't do anything during the day, at work

I also contacted AIS, still no response, I just wanted to open a topic here so everyone can benefit of the replies and replies from AIS.
Once everything works, would it be a good idea for me to make a HowTo for this specific kit, or do the link I posted are good enough? Just for the community
Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 AM

you shuold be able to tune when it starts injecting on any of the AIS kits...the difference is the Stage 1 goes off your boost so you program at what psi you want it to spray at....the Stage 2 kit is a progressive kit so it gradually sprays up the rpm band till its spraying max at your highest rpm which you control with the Stage 2 progressive controller....stage 1 is either on or off...thats why they recommend you start spraying at 70% of your boost...find out what your max boost is....multiply that by .7 and thats what you should set the spray to start at
Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by LamboW9
you shuold be able to tune when it starts injecting on any of the AIS kits..
By "Check if I can tune" I meant, see if I could make it work correctly by adjusting the valve, I didn't explain myself correctly, I read all I could find on that stage 1 kit on the forum before ordering it. I hope it's just a matter of how much it injects, since it did the problem after the leak was (probably) fixed.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 AM
AIS
Non Authorized / Non-Supporting

Originally Posted by TiCPU
For the check-valve, it's installed just just before the supercharger, it's a piece of about 7cm with an arrow on it directed toward the supercharger, it was included in the kit, I forgot to take a picture of this part, I'll do that once I'm back home.

In the kit, after specifing my car, they included 2 nozzles, I used the smallest one.

For the installation after the throttle body, I did that because I've seen the installation done that way on the AIS web site, and after reading, it was said to be equivalent in this kind of setup, so, I decided to install after to prevent the mist from condensing on the throttle body (however, I don't think this would have happen anyway).

I'll have to check if I can tune when it starts injecting once I'm back home, can't do anything during the day, at work

I also contacted AIS, still no response, I just wanted to open a topic here so everyone can benefit of the replies and replies from AIS.
Once everything works, would it be a good idea for me to make a HowTo for this specific kit, or do the link I posted are good enough? Just for the community
Jerome, LamboW9

Hi, this is Rodney. I answered your call and spoke with you yesterday afternoon. I understand you were sent the wrong instructional booklet (Stage 2 was sent). Which is why I went over all of this with you over the phone in detail. I'm more then happy to continue you helping you with this or you can work with the forum members.

Nozzle location - When I was on the phone with you yesterday I suggested installing this before the throttle body like in your cold air system piping and locating the check valve directly behind it. When installing the nozzle before the throttle body. It is not required that you have the check valve directly behind the nozzle. As long as it is in between the pump and the nozzle you are fine. However, when placing the nozzle after the throttle body it is imperative that your place the check valve directly behind the nozzle. As it is now you have several inches between the two. When you decelerate the engine will pull small amount s of fluid out of the line going up to the check valve.

When you drilled and tapped the snout on your supercharger. Did you remove the throttle body and places rags back inside the supercharger so that you could vacuum it out and prevent any shaving from going into the motor?

Tee Fitting Location For Vacuum
- As per our conversation yesterday. I described to you that you needed to use the rubber hose that comes off of the lower intake manifold. To ensure you have the right hose I explained to you to just follow it all the way down and make sure it goes to the lower intake manifold. From your pictures it looks like you have this set up correctly.

Nozzles Size - Included with your order was two nozzles. I gave you one for free as we normally only include one nozzle with this Stage 1 base kit and size it to the customer engines specs. You were shipped both a 3 and 6 gph nozzle. If you are using the smaller of the two then you have the number 3 installed.

Boost Switch - Just as one of the member already mentioned and as well did I over the phone. The boost switches come preset at 10 psi. Additionally, we hand test each unit before it's shipped to make sure the switch is closing and opening back up. However, once the system is installed you should try to determine and see when the system is activating because at times the switch may be coming on at 8 psi. This is just how we receive the switches from the manufacture. We do not preset them. So adjusting the switch to your desired boost setting requires adjusting the screw as I went over with you on the phone.

After reveiwing all of your pictures and information. It appears you have everything (aisde from the check valve location) correct. All that is needed now is to determine when the system is actually firing off at and making the necessary adjustment. just as LamboW9 mentioned. We suggest activating this system at 75% of your peak boost. For example, is your running 17 psi. Lets activate the system at 12-13 psi. And when using the number 3 nozzle. You should not have any issues with it bogging. Be sure to check all of your engines wiring harness connectors that you unplugged. I have found that even when I thought they were reconnected they still weren't and would cause the engine to act up some what like what you are describing.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks Rodney, yes, I didn't mention the phone conversation we had yesterday about locating the vaccum tube and nozzle location, however, I didn't think the one-way valve needed to be so close to the nozzle, currently it is about.. 15-20cm away from the nozzle, I'll try relocating this first.

For the vaccum tube, after some minutes of testing to be sure I was using the right one, I found that the one coming from the intake like you suggested was the right one, had vaccum on idle and boost while supercharging.

As I noticed, the 3 gpm seems to be more than enough for my current usage, and I'll check how much boost is needed to activate the pump at the moment. What would be the best way to test it out?

By posting my problem on the forum, I wasn't trying to tell AIS wasn't supporting their client, just that I didn't receive an answer yet, sorry. It just seems everyone answered at the same time. On the phone, it's hard to keep track of everything said, when it's written, it's easier to retrieve information, especially for someone whose native language is not English.

Thanks for your support, it has been appreciated yesterday.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:19 AM
AIS

Thanks Rodney, yes, I didn't mention the phone conversation we had yesterday about locating the vaccum tube and nozzle location, however, I didn't think the one-way valve needed to be so close to the nozzle, currently it is about.. 15-20cm away from the nozzle, I'll try relocating this first.

No problem. We just want to make sure people don't get the wrong message and that were no supporting you. It's tough to follow up with all the forums we sponsor. So were best reached by phone or direct email. As for the check valve. Lets relocate this right behind the nozzle. While where you have it now doesn't seem to be far away. When you decellerate the engine is pulling that fluid out of the line going all the way back to the check valve. This will can cause the engine to pop and run roughly during this time.

For the vaccum tube, after some minutes of testing to be sure I was using the right one, I found that the one coming from the intake like you suggested was the right one, had vaccum on idle and boost while supercharging.

Yeah, anytime your in doubt about the vacuum hose your using and if it going to manifold pressure. Simply trace it back and see if it is connected to the intake manifold. If so, your good.

As I noticed, the 3 gpm seems to be more than enough for my current usage, and I'll check how much boost is needed to activate the pump at the moment. What would be the best way to test it out?

For your Stage 2 it is fine.

By posting my problem on the forum, I wasn't trying to tell AIS wasn't supporting their client, just that I didn't receive an answer yet, sorry. It just seems everyone answered at the same time. On the phone, it's hard to keep track of everything said, when it's written, it's easier to retrieve information, especially for someone whose native language is not English.

No problem at all. We just want to make sure everyone understand we spoke over the phone and was trying to assist you as best as we could. I wish I spoke two languages.

Thanks for your support, it has been appreciated yesterday.
Rodney
Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 AM

haha..as always AIS FTMFW
Old 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM
AIS

Originally Posted by LamboW9
haha..as always AIS FTMFW
Thats funny. Thanks for the support.

Rodney
Old 06-25-2008, 06:46 PM

I made some test now, didn't test everything I wanted yet but here what I tested for now;
I tried unplugging the hose from the supercharger to see if the mixture comes out, it does, on idle if I make it boost to 40kpa it squirts out.

I dryed everything around the o-ring and made sure there was no methanol anywhere, made enough boost for about 30 seconds to be sure it would inject, then stopped right away, open the hood, and there was a slim drop going down from the o-ring to the bottom of the supercharger, seems like it still leaks, I added a new picture of the o-ring in my gallery; http://www.ticpu.net/~jerome/pics/?path=./meth

I also forgot to add, yesterday, when I got my check engine light lit, the exhaust was smelling methanol, strongly. Now, after boosting that 30 seconds, after looking under the hood, I went behind to smell if it was the same odor as yesterday, nope, only gas this time. Could it be a problem in my 90° elbow? I'm only making guesses.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:43 AM

i'm sure AIS will post again today....the leak wouldnt have caused your engine to do that...maybe your meth/water mixture is not appropriate for your modifications and w/o a tune
Old 06-26-2008, 01:39 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not the leak neither, it seemed like an overflow of the meth/water mix in the intake, as it fixed by itself after 3-4 startup standing still. And now, since yesterday, the pump is plugged and no problems yet.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 PM

yea..i'm surprised AIS has posted here yet...but they arent exactly on EVERY day...i'd call them an report your findings...you tested most everything out...so you should be able to narrow it down on the phone...jus keep a pen and pad handy if they suggest making adjustments
Old 06-26-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ColeJJones
the pump comes preset at 10psi. the pump pressure comes stock at 150psi, dont touch that. your probably flooding it.... so turn your pressure switch up to 12-13psi. 1 full turn

NO my ais pump said this as well but was set to 0psi i could bearly blow on it and it would spray... and my pump was not turned all the way up it was 3/4 this kit was nib from them no ebay stuff... just somethin to check...
Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 PM
AIS

I made some test now, didn't test everything I wanted yet but here what I tested for now;
I tried unplugging the hose from the supercharger to see if the mixture comes out, it does, on idle if I make it boost to 40kpa it squirts out.

I dryed everything around the o-ring and made sure there was no methanol anywhere, made enough boost for about 30 seconds to be sure it would inject, then stopped right away, open the hood, and there was a slim drop going down from the o-ring to the bottom of the supercharger, seems like it still leaks, I added a new picture of the o-ring in my gallery; http://www.ticpu.net/~jerome/pics/?path=./meth

I also forgot to add, yesterday, when I got my check engine light lit, the exhaust was smelling methanol, strongly. Now, after boosting that 30 seconds, after looking under the hood, I went behind to smell if it was the same odor as yesterday, nope, only gas this time. Could it be a problem in my 90° elbow? I'm only making guesses.
Jerome,

Give me a call directly at 1.801.447.2559 ext 204 so I can go over this with you, find out what exactly is happening and correct it.

Rodney
Old 07-05-2008, 11:20 AM

Installation completed and functionnal!

Well it seems everything is fixed, there's still a leak on my o-ring on the supercharger, but I'll try to put some sealer on the threads, I think it could be caused by me drilling on a spot which wasn't flat enough. But never had any other "check engine light" problems ever since.

I completed documenting my picture set if you look at the link on my first post, also added highlight in some pictures. So if you ever need a kind of howto for a methanol injection kit installation or just to guide you during the setup, I hope it will be helpful!

Meth kit installation at: http://www.ticpu.net/~jerome/pics/?path=./meth

Thanks all

Last edited by TiCPU; 07-06-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added the link right there.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 AM
AIS

Well it seems everything is fixed, there's still a leak on my o-ring on the supercharger, but I'll try to put some sealer on the threads, I think it could be caused by me drilling on a spot which wasn't flat enough. But never had any other "check engine light" problems ever since.

I completed documenting my picture set if you look at the link on my first post, also added highlight in some pictures. So if you ever need a kind of howto for a methanol injection kit installation or just to guide you during the setup, I hope it will be helpful!

Meth kit installation at: http://www.ticpu.net/~jerome/pics/?path=./meth

Thanks all
Hi Jerome,

Were you able to tighten up that nozzle with some thread sealer? Also, I tried to click on the link below and it did not work.

Rodney
Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 PM

you guys are great^^^always there to help we need more vendors like you...
Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 PM

Getting better!

I really couldn't tell why but the more time passes by, the lesser the leak! I think I'll wait to receive and install my interceptor before I make another solid test for the leak. By the way, it's always a great feeling to touch the supercharger after boosting for a while, it's as cold as something you take out of the fridge hehe -- I pictured how cool it is at some places, of course, it's nothing professional, but anyway.

As for the link, I had troubles with my server for 2 days (rarely happens, but it seems like someone abused my bandwidth...)
Old 07-17-2008, 12:23 PM
AIS

I really couldn't tell why but the more time passes by, the lesser the leak! I think I'll wait to receive and install my interceptor before I make another solid test for the leak. By the way, it's always a great feeling to touch the supercharger after boosting for a while, it's as cold as something you take out of the fridge hehe -- I pictured how cool it is at some places, of course, it's nothing professional, but anyway.

As for the link, I had troubles with my server for 2 days (rarely happens, but it seems like someone abused my bandwidth...)
Sounds better. Let me know how it looks the next time you check it.

Rodney

Quick Reply: AIS Meth injection kit install complete but Engine Power Recuded problems