2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

black coating on blades??? wtf

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
black coating on blades??? wtf

Does anyone know if there is suposeto be a "black coating" of something on the blades inside the supercharger? I'm having a big issue with my car and everyone is saying its a vac leak or bad gaskets then who I bought the sc off of said that the black coating should be on the blades and I messed up. When I took it apart I cleaned it out with carb and choke cleaner and all the black stuff came right off. I thought it was some weird build up, can someone tell me if this could be my issue? Thanks chris
Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its not your issue
Old 05-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Well that's kinda a relief. My blower isn't ruined... but all we can do is process of elimination. We have gaskets (on order) we have hoses (all new and on tight I checked) and then the bypass valve (now if I take the hose off the sc and plug it with a screw that basically gets rid of the by pass valve right? So if I do that and still only 10 psi its not my bypass valve)
Old 05-24-2010, 03:16 PM

The black stuff is teflon coating most Eatons have...if that WAS teflon, then you've removed it with brake cleaner...the coating provide the compressor seal and reduces friction...it'll still work but you probably lost some boost now...the same thing happend to my Mini's Eaton blower...but that was due to the miles I have on that blower...
Old 05-24-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd want new rotors...
Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 PM

its fine. on our gen blowers, most of the sealing is done by the incredibly tight tolerances and very little is attributed to the teflon coating. I remember ZZP had a good write up on the teflon coating and how its not a big deal if its gone (frequently happens with meth users as well IIRC)
Old 05-24-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
its fine. on our gen blowers, most of the sealing is done by the incredibly tight tolerances and very little is attributed to the teflon coating. I remember ZZP had a good write up on the teflon coating and how its not a big deal if its gone (frequently happens with meth users as well IIRC)
That's what happened to my Mini's blower...it has meth injection...do you know where I can find that write up?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
Ahh, that's good to know then!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:29 PM

well the blower i bought had i think like 100K on it and had meth ran on it soooo that could be why it came right off
Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by msfitoy
That's what happened to my Mini's blower...it has meth injection...do you know where I can find that write up?
I just verified with Zoomer, as I couldn't remember the details.
Originally Posted by Zooomer

It's not teflon, it's a powder coat of sorts. It increases the performance of the blower slightly and protects the bare aluminum. Nothing to really worry about unless you want absolute max performance.
like i said, it doesnt really do much on these newer gen blowers. it used to help a lot more with sealing on the previous generation
Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The SS/SC rotors are not coated with teflon, it is an abradable coating. The abradable coating is black. There is a reason that throttle body cleaners and such say to not use on supercharged vehicles, the ether in the cleaners will eat the coatings off the rotors. If meth is used before the SC it will also damage the coating causing it to come off as well.

If you did remove all the abradable coating you will need to get new rotors, or have them recoated. I know stiegemeier can rebuild them but I'm sure if you hunt around you could find other places that do it as well.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so u are saying that if the coating comes off it is trashed?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 PM

So one says with no coating is fine others say no coating is bad... and there are a bunch of people who run meth before... I can tell you this my blower with no coating sounds smoother then my buddys that has never taken his blower off (yes he runs meth before)
Old 05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm too JDM for you

i sprayed tons of nitrous/fuel through my blower without an issue. the coating is still on there too
Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rockstarbass1 - The coating helps but it is not absolutely needed by any means. You can still run your blower without the coating. Getting back on topic why do you think you have a vac leak. What does your boost gauge say at idle. It should be between -19 and -21 roughly at idle. If it's somewhere around -15 or -12 then you have a vacuum leak for sure.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
E-mail response from an Eaton Engineer:

Hello Jeff,
It is an abratable coating, removal of the coating will actually increase the tolerance and make the unit less efficient. No Teflon is used in the coating.
Regards
Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
i sprayed tons of nitrous/fuel through my blower without an issue. the coating is still on there too
Running nitrous/fuel through it probably isn't the best, but ether/alcohol is much worse on the coating since it actually eats the epoxy-polymer graphite coating away.

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
E-mail response from an Eaton Engineer:

Hello Jeff,
It is an abratable coating, removal of the coating will actually increase the tolerance and make the unit less efficient. No Teflon is used in the coating.
Regards
^ Pretty much what I said.

From the M62 engineering specs:

An improved rotary blower (11) with an abradable coating (61) with a maximum hardness value of 2H on a pencil hardness scale. The coating material is a blend or mixture of preferably an epoxy-polymer resin matrix with a solid lubricant. The solid lubricant preferably is graphite. The improved abradable coating provides essentially zero clearance to increase the volumetric efficiency of a Roots type rotary blower.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Lol ok so its not good but not the end of the world... I think I have a vac leak because I'm only seeing 10 psi with my 2.9 pulley and my idel is crazy high (1500) and some times jumps and acts weird. My vac is at 20 to 22 when at idel but again I'm sitting at 1500 rpm..
Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by rockstarbass1
Lol ok so its not good but not the end of the world... I think I have a vac leak because I'm only seeing 10 psi with my 2.9 pulley and my idel is crazy high (1500) and some times jumps and acts weird. My vac is at 20 to 22 when at idel but again I'm sitting at 1500 rpm..
think of it as now having an IAT2 5° higher than it would have otherwise been. You will not even feel a difference, but yes, technically, it reduced performance.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have been tuned recently? What all have you changed? Obviously something is going on if you are seeing that low amount of boost and it's clearly something that is affecting your idle unless that was changed in the tune.

You aren't throwing any cel's and have gone over all of the basics right? Has the blower been removed recently, or the intake manifold? Obviously check all hoses if thats not it, remove what has been removed recently and reseat it. Aka pull the blower and manifold, put it back on, clean the blower gasket etc and reseat it. Make sure everything is tight and good.

Your idle should be nowhere near that unless you were tuned for it and you should be seeing a lot more boost. So unless the motor is cold and you are only seeing 1500 rpm idle for a short period of time while the motor is warming up, there is an issue. Somewhere you are leaking air, find it .
Old 05-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check your sensor on your blower. Something similar happened to a friend. The sensor cracked and was not making a seal.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:13 PM

Well I bought a new intake to motor gasket new blower to manifold and tb to blower gasket. They will be here tom so that's all comming off. I checked the soft hoses and there all good and new. Could be the hard lines? Might replace them with soft lines for temp just to see. No my idel wasn't set there. And I'm working with my tuner to figure this out. Vince says it a leak somewhere. So I hope the new gaskets fix it (I like an idiot used old used gaskets with my stuff) I am throwing a cel two actually. P0171 and P2119.... cleared em and its back on haven't checked what they are again seeing I don't have the stuff and I'm using a local guy to do it instead of vince sending me a cable. When I change the gaskets I think I'm going to tap and plug the map sensor dummy in the blower... as for my stock L61 map in the intake I know it isn't leaking because while the car was running I sprayed starter fluid on it(if it was leaking there idel would shot up more) weird thing is when I'm driving when I start to come to a stop the car will be out of gear and or clutch in and the idel will start to climb sometimes to like 2500 or 2750.... then drops back to 1500
Old 05-25-2010, 07:30 PM

well, the IM and TB gaskets can both be reused as long as you didnt tear them or anything, so really you should have only bought the IM-to-head gasket.

Anyway, it def sounds like a vacuum leak, and its gotta be after the TB (after the blower too if you're seeing reduced boost because of it)
Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Well my buddy is a gm mechanis so I saved a few bucks and got em all for 50 so said screw it do it right... or I can sell one on here oh and the gasket between the head and mani got kinda fadangled (word I made up) messed up and bent pretty good in shipping so I think that could be my issue but reading stuff on here any chance my dip stick not sealing good in the oil pan could do this? I saw there's a tech bulletin for the ss where the dip stick doesn't sit right and seal and it throes the same code or one of the codes I'm getting!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Bump for any more info

Quick Reply: black coating on blades??? wtf