2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Car shut off last night

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car shut off last night

Hey I know there are some threads about this but just wanted some clarification. I was out last night driving normal (cause gas is so freaking expensive). I come to a light to make a right and as I am making my turn, some speed racer in a BMW comes booking it around a bend, so I punch it so I don't cut him off. As I do that, the car seemed to cut the fuel, I had no control over the throttle, but all the electrical stayed on. The car coasted to a stop with a knock at the end. No codes or anything in the DIC, and it threw a CEL. I tried starting it immediatley and it would just crank but not turn over. After a 5 mins I tried again and it started with a CEL, and it smelled like rotten eggs. After 15 mins of driving, and turned off the car, let it rest for about 10 mins, and started again fine, with no CEL.

Is this the common issue everyone is talking about? What causes this and what's up with the smell?

Thanks for your help
Old 06-09-2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by juststickit124
After a 5 mins I tried again and it started with a CEL, and it smelled like rotten eggs. After 15 mins of driving, and turned off the car, let it rest for about 10 mins, and started again fine, with no CEL.

Is this the common issue everyone is talking about? What causes this and what's up with the smell?
Sounds like it could potentially be a clogged up Cat since you happened to mention the rotten egg smell. Take it to your dealer and have them check it anyways in case they can check the history of codes thrown.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Permafried-
Sounds like it could potentially be a clogged up Cat since you happened to mention the rotten egg smell. Take it to your dealer and have them check it anyways in case they can check the history of codes thrown.
Exactly and clogged cats are a big problem with the ss/sc so they should cover all cost!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
Exactly and clogged cats are a big problem with the ss/sc so they should cover all cost!
Damn I just got it back too. The car sounds and performs fine, but I'll have them check the CEL code I guess, better safe then sorry. Would the car act normal if the cat was clogged? WOuld the CAI be a problem or am I safe by the Magnussen Moss act thing?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:01 PM

nah... **** happened to me once... i didnt get the cell part though.. i just let the car sit a few minutes (i believe i hit the fuel cut-off).. car died but all power was still on.. same with cranking.. it would crank but not fire as if timing was cut off.. then it started up.. drove fine.. never had the problem since
Old 06-09-2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
nah... **** happened to me once... i didnt get the cell part though.. i just let the car sit a few minutes (i believe i hit the fuel cut-off).. car died but all power was still on.. same with cranking.. it would crank but not fire as if timing was cut off.. then it started up.. drove fine.. never had the problem since
Fuel cutoff stops once the revs drop back below redline. It does not shut off your car.