2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Centerforce DFX any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centerforce DFX any good?

Just as the title says, Is the DFX any good? It has been about 2 months since I put in the Stage 2 kit and I was just waiting for it to go south. Anyway, I dont want to replace the clutch a bunch of times, so I want a good one the first time. The only other mods I am going to do is the exhaust and possibly a custom tune with water meth. I would like a Clutchmasters Kevlar clutch, but for 100 bucks more, I can get the DFX with a flywheel. Thanks for the replies!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:20 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
centerforce clutches down to well in most fwd applications. the claim to fame of the centerforce clutch is the weights on the fingers. as the rpm increases centrifical force pulls the weights out, pulling on the fingers, and giving more clamping load. this is how they keep a stock feeling clutch pedal.

now the porblem comes in with fwd applications, i know most gm stuff for sure. there isnt enough room in the bellhousing for the weights to clear the tranny, so centerforce just leaves them off. basicly what you get is a dual friction disk and stock pressure plate.

from what i have seen, i would never put one into a fwd. ive installed my share into mustangs, camaros, ect and been quite happy with them, but not a fwd. id skip it and get a spec, bulley or exedy and a fidenza flywheel.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:41 PM

I used that that clutch in my Mazda which put down 250 ft/lbs of tourque and had no issues with it at all i really liked how the clutch grabbed when launching as well
Old 12-08-2007, 07:44 PM

That's the clutch I plan on purchasing for my vehicle in the next month here and will see how it goes...i've seen and heard great things about centerforce clutches just hoping that i'm not disappointed.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:50 PM

When you had your ceramic clutch, did it squeal or grab really bad trying to take off? I have a 14" 12 puck ceramic clutch in my truck and I hate it. It is near impossible to back up without bucking and it started squealing when starting out and down shifting. It does hold all that diesel torque without question though
Old 12-08-2007, 08:00 PM

exedy is hands down the best clutch for the SS by far. It may cost more,but you get what you pay for. Mine had no problems with about 20k miles on it and it still had grip like it did when it was new. Also you get everything with it....pressure plate clutch and flywheel. Pedal feel is a little stiff but not unbearable, I daily drove mine with it.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by matego
When you had your ceramic clutch, did it squeal or grab really bad trying to take off? I have a 14" 12 puck ceramic clutch in my truck and I hate it. It is near impossible to back up without bucking and it started squealing when starting out and down shifting. It does hold all that diesel torque without question though
At first i grabbed pretty good but once i got used to it after about a week it wasn't to much of an issue. There isn't alot of lowend torque like your diesel pickup truck so you can do easier takeoffs.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by black07ssc
At first i grabbed pretty good but once i got used to it after about a week it wasn't to much of an issue. There isn't alot of lowend torque like your diesel pickup truck so you can do easier takeoffs.
I thought it might be different because in the car, you have to rev the engine to take off. In the truck, you let the clutch out at idle and give it fuel when the clutch is engaged.

I want a performance clutch, but my girlfriend drives the Balt 95% of the time and I have to remember that. But the 5% of the time I drive it, i want the damn thing to work. So it has to be user friendly and hold good. Am I asking too much?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:58 PM

You could try the centerforce dualfriction setup if the have one for these cars they give you good holding power and are user friendly while taking off. Also why do you think you need a clutch just because you have stage 2? i haven't had any issues with my stock clutch yet.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by black07ssc
You could try the centerforce dualfriction setup if the have one for these cars they give you good holding power and are user friendly while taking off. Also why do you think you need a clutch just because you have stage 2? i haven't had any issues with my stock clutch yet.
Centerforce does not list a dual friction on their website. Do they make one and not list it? I need a clutch because it slips in 3-5 gears at WOT for me. My girlfriend who drives the car does notice it, but she does not run it like I do. Her average MPG reading is 37-38. When I drive it is usually in the lower 20's
Old 12-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Ya i was just guessing that they would but they don't yet. So your either gonna have to go to exedy or some other brand or get the dfx.