2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Clear Image Catback Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Image Catback Exhaust

I thought i would just give my 2 cents on their full exhaust. I have the header/downpipe combo with a catless 3 inch downpipe that goes into the 2.5 inch catback.

The only thing i like about the exhaust is the sound. Other than that i am extremely disappointed.

First of all, the exhaust is to short. I own a Ion Redline and they said they would make it longer to compensate for the differences. Clearly they didnt do a great job with that.

Next, the exhaust hangers. For some reason i have a hanger in a spot where it just sits there taking up space with nothing to attach to. I also think they should have put two near the resonator like the stock exhaust however their product has only one. This has been causing the exhaust to move around in any direction it chooses to.

There measurements are off somewhere because my exhaust hits my rear axle and vibrates the **** out of my car. With this being off and the exhaust being to short, it somehow managed to move itself and burn/melt part of my rear bumper when i thought i had it setup nice.

Ive brought it to two exhaust shops and they said.....exact quotes here...."this is honestly the worst pre-made exhaust system for any car that I've ever seen."

i did think those words were a little harsh at first but now im starting to agree.

Did anyone else have so many problems with theres or is this just me getting a bad apple out of the bunch?

End of my rant.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:58 AM

Hmm, haven't really heard of any other problems with their stuff. Call them, I am willing to bet that they will work with you and do something to get the issues corrected.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:03 PM

sounds like they may have shipped out the wrong exhaust...aka you received the cobalt exhaust and not the redline one. Call them up. I'm sure they will work something out. They seem like reasonable people.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:14 PM

yea seriously.. coolest people ive ever dealt with...
Old 11-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hahaha, sounds like you accidently were sent the cobalt one.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:18 PM

you try contacting Clear Image about the problem?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 PM

i dont have their exhaust... but it does sound like they may have had the orders mixed up...

let us know what happends..
Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoostedYards86
sounds like they may have shipped out the wrong exhaust...aka you received the cobalt exhaust and not the redline one. Call them up. I'm sure they will work something out. They seem like reasonable people.
precisely .. cobalts cna easily use redline exhaust.. but not so much vis versa because of the problems you've stated
Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i really think you did get the cobalt one. too short and has hangers that aren't used...
Old 11-10-2008, 12:24 PM

they woudlnt add a hanger for the fun of it.. haha... and wed see more threads about this issue with the ions if this happend all the time... think it was the wrong one...
Old 11-10-2008, 05:40 PM

well now that ive done everything to make it work im just gonna stick with what i got.

and now that the car sounds so good i dont want to have to take it off lol
Old 11-10-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by lockdownlegend
well now that ive done everything to make it work im just gonna stick with what i got.

and now that the car sounds so good i dont want to have to take it off lol
ummm VIDS!
Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 PM

no video camera or i would....sorry
Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 PM

I have no way of knowing who you are from your forum name but I havenot received and phone calls or emails about this problem. I can never understand why customers would post their issues to the forums first before ever speaking with the vendor first.

Anyways, that's beside the point. Of all the exhaust systems we shipped out, we only shipped one for an Ion and I know who that owner is and what his forum name is. You definitely got the Cobalt exhaust. Most likely your invoice did not specify "Ion". There's many reasons why this may have happened.

The Ion exhaust requires some extra length. Also, as you noted, the hangers are a little bit different. The length could have easily been added at the time of install by any decent exhaust shop. If we had known about this problem we could have sent you the additional tubing and another hanger to give to the shop.

Now, the comment made by the shops about our exhaust is rediculous. Anyone who has our products, including yourself, know very well the workmanship and finish work is superb. It sounds like they were just wanting you to have them build you an exhaust. OR, they were basing their oppinion on the fact the exhaust didn't fit well and the hangers were wrong, which is true because it's the wrong exhaust system.

Had you called us we could have taken care of this for you but now that the exhaust is installed, and most likely welded, there's nothing we can do. Whichever shop did the install should easily have been able to add the tube length and get the system hung correctly.

I'm sorry this hasn't turned out right for you but you should have called us first before proceeding with the install.

I thought i would just give my 2 cents on their full exhaust. I have the header/downpipe combo with a catless 3 inch downpipe that goes into the 2.5 inch catback.

The only thing i like about the exhaust is the sound. Other than that i am extremely disappointed.

First of all, the exhaust is to short. I own a Ion Redline and they said they would make it longer to compensate for the differences. Clearly they didnt do a great job with that.

Next, the exhaust hangers. For some reason i have a hanger in a spot where it just sits there taking up space with nothing to attach to. I also think they should have put two near the resonator like the stock exhaust however their product has only one. This has been causing the exhaust to move around in any direction it chooses to.

There measurements are off somewhere because my exhaust hits my rear axle and vibrates the **** out of my car. With this being off and the exhaust being to short, it somehow managed to move itself and burn/melt part of my rear bumper when i thought i had it setup nice.

Ive brought it to two exhaust shops and they said.....exact quotes here...."this is honestly the worst pre-made exhaust system for any car that I've ever seen."

i did think those words were a little harsh at first but now im starting to agree.

Did anyone else have so many problems with theres or is this just me getting a bad apple out of the bunch?

End of my rant.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:26 PM

no video camera or i would....sorry
Steal one, I want to hear this
Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ClearImageAuto Dan
I have no way of knowing who you are from your forum name but I havenot received and phone calls or emails about this problem. I can never understand why customers would post their issues to the forums first before ever speaking with the vendor first.

Anyways, that's beside the point. Of all the exhaust systems we shipped out, we only shipped one for an Ion and I know who that owner is and what his forum name is. You definitely got the Cobalt exhaust. Most likely your invoice did not specify "Ion". There's many reasons why this may have happened.

The Ion exhaust requires some extra length. Also, as you noted, the hangers are a little bit different. The length could have easily been added at the time of install by any decent exhaust shop. If we had known about this problem we could have sent you the additional tubing and another hanger to give to the shop.

Now, the comment made by the shops about our exhaust is rediculous. Anyone who has our products, including yourself, know very well the workmanship and finish work is superb. It sounds like they were just wanting you to have them build you an exhaust. OR, they were basing their oppinion on the fact the exhaust didn't fit well and the hangers were wrong, which is true because it's the wrong exhaust system.

Had you called us we could have taken care of this for you but now that the exhaust is installed, and most likely welded, there's nothing we can do. Whichever shop did the install should easily have been able to add the tube length and get the system hung correctly.

I'm sorry this hasn't turned out right for you but you should have called us first before proceeding with the install.
Dan i am buying your stuff. talk tomorrow thanks for replying to this guy...
Old 11-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ClearImageAuto Dan

The Ion in question would be me. Yes, the exhaust was originally too short, but Dan did include a length of pipe for me to have welded on at the time of install, and it worked fine. The extra hooks were on mine as well, but I provided Dan pictures so in the future he would know which hooks to leave out / add for an Ion as opposed to a Cobalt (there was only like 2 anyhow). Really though, any exhaust shop should have been able to add/remove those hangers in under 5 minutes - mine did.

On the contrary to what your shops said - mine said the welds were outstanding and it looked great, aside from the missing/extra hangers. The people I have taken for a ride were impressed with the sound of it, and I think it's pure sex.

It sucks that you didn't specify what you wanted, but that's why you should always contact the vendor first instead of just going on a forum and flaming instead of getting it sorted out. CIA's amazing customer service helps them outshine the competition.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:11 AM

truth! ^
Old 11-12-2008, 02:14 AM

I t alked to beth today about a exhaust....

shes awesome, and will do anything to help you...

Im glad dan said what he said, in a very professional mannor... i give ye, respect...
Old 11-12-2008, 12:35 PM

i do agree that the exhaust does sound amazing....

however i was very specific and clear on the fact that i own an ion redline when i was originally talking to Beth about the exhaust and even when i placed my order with them. its that reason alone as to why im a little frustrated because it made my situation all the more complicated.

this was something i was going to do myself as its not hard to install an exhaust. ive already installed my friends turboback exhaust on his srt which is more dificult than a simple catback. im low on cash and this took a hit on my wallet because i had to have it professionally installed to fit correctly.

cia is great and all but i think this is something that could have easily been avoided and therefore needed to be addressed. im sure if you guys were in my situation you would be upset aswell.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:40 PM

yes, but i would have called CIA first... instead of bashing them on a public forum...

every company messes up, and it happends, and the moment u noticed it, you should have called them and asked what was up, and said something was wrong...

by the time this thread started, you could have probly had an exhaust sent to you already.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:10 PM

i hear you....to be completely honest with you though, the thought that i received a cobalt exhaust didnt even cross my mind before i posted this on the forum.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 PM

me either.... i wouldnt have thought about that...

i would have been like wtf? haha... i would have probly tried just to get it to work too, just because thats how i am...

but frustration is a bitch, and i would have came on a place like this to look for help too... just sometimes the companies can do more than we can.....

i hope all works out!