2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Cobalt SS vs. SRT4

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalt SS vs. SRT4

Hey, my names Terry and I'm looking into getting a new car...right now I drive a Mitsubishi 3000GT SL and its a piece of ****.... I'm looking into getting a Cobalt SS S/C or a SRT-4 but I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get...The reason I started this tread is to get Cobalt SS drivers opinions and SRT4 driver opinions on which car I should get...I'm not asking for anyone to make a chose for me I just want to hear want people have to say
Old 06-17-2005, 05:29 PM

Well it depends if u want a car with huge aftermarket options and that is a little bit faster, then get the SRT-4, u sacrifice some comfort and interior quality but u get the more performance car (for now)

On the other hand you have the SS its interior is 100X better then the SRT-4 its still fast, faster on takeoff then the SRT-4 but after around 90mph the SRT-4 takes an SS. You have a few more options on the SS. The SS is a very comfortable ride, it gets more attention on the street because its newer. But as of now you don’t have many aftermarket things to add on.

As for looks the front of the SRT-4 is much better then the SS and the back of the SS is better then the SRT-4, (in my opinion)

The only problem you might have with the SS is actually getting one (at least in California) there are almost none here im not sure about Florida.

I have an SS and have had no problems with it at all, its fast comfortable and very fun to drive. Ive craven and SRT-4 but don’t have one to be able to explain its better points to you, but it’s a great car also.

I had the same problem as you, my choice was between both cars, but in the end I picked the SS because of the looks and interior, I mean its not much slower then an SRT-4. so its up to you SRT-4 witch has the aftermarket, performance, and more people who know more about it to help you with problems, or the SS witch has the looks, interior, rarity (for now).

But the SS aftermarket will grow and a lot of people on this sight will help you with any thing you need to know about it. Just read some of the posts
Old 06-17-2005, 07:06 PM

Sorry, I've seen the Cobalt's interior... to say it is "100X better" is laughable. I would say at best that it is marginally better. Face it they're both "Econoboxes" with cheap plastic interiors. With the SS you can get Recarro seats; with the SRT-4 you can get Viper seats.

Honestly the performance is close enough between the two to not make a difference. So the choice really comes down to which one appeals to you more. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; you choose what looks good to you.

One last thing. The biggest thing the SRT-4 has going for it performance-wise is that there is a bunch of proven aftermarket parts available for it. However, new products are coming out for the SS, if you're patient (or have a limited budget for mods anyhow).
Old 06-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Banned

Well I have a SS/SC and two of my friends have SRT-4's. 0-60, 1/4 mile for the two cars are equal. Before my car had some miles on it the SRT-4's could take me right around 80mph. Now with 2200miles I can easily pull on them in the 80mph plus zone.

IMO I could never own a SRT-4 due to the fact that it is a 4 door. Hopefully the aftermarket will start picking up soon for the SS/SC.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by codyss
Well I have a SS/SC and two of my friends have SRT-4's. 0-60, 1/4 mile for the two cars are equal. Before my car had some miles on it the SRT-4's could take me right around 80mph. Now with 2200miles I can easily pull on them in the 80mph plus zone.

IMO I could never own a SRT-4 due to the fact that it is a 4 door. Hopefully the aftermarket will start picking up soon for the SS/SC.
dude i have read everyone one of your SRT bashing posts. where the hell do you get your numbers from your ass??????

as for the car... (i own a SRT)

as people say, the srt is faster and i have to agree i do like the interior better in the SS (auto headlights, cruise control) are also nice features i dont have as for handling, the SS will out handle a SRT but the SRT-ACr is a different matter. but i bought the car for one reason only. power. and in my opinion mod for mod the SS wont keep up. plus the aftermarket for hte SRTs are proven, and there really isnt that much for the SS yet. also the SRT ISNT a first year car. who knows how many (if any) recalls GM will have for the cobalt
Old 06-17-2005, 08:56 PM

Take Both For A Test Drive!!!
End Of Story
Old 06-17-2005, 09:18 PM

Thank you.......

A bunch of babies whining over TWO cars......its Sooooo childish.......Mann......

One of these days if these kinda topic continues, i`m going to have my buddy smoke every single cobalt ss and srt-4 with his Evo on the road....................Let it rest please......

see ya.......

dude......
Old 06-17-2005, 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=dude3466423]
One of these days if these kinda topic continues, i`m going to have my buddy smoke every single cobalt ss and srt-4 with his Evo on the road....................Let it rest please......

QUOTE]

Just make sure you tell your buddy not to try drag racing an SS/SC from a roll... he will lose every time.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by mchat
Sorry, I've seen the Cobalt's interior... to say it is "100X better" is laughable. I would say at best that it is marginally better. Face it they're both "Econoboxes" with cheap plastic interiors. With the SS you can get Recarro seats; with the SRT-4 you can get Viper seats.

Honestly the performance is close enough between the two to not make a difference. So the choice really comes down to which one appeals to you more. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; you choose what looks good to you.

One last thing. The biggest thing the SRT-4 has going for it performance-wise is that there is a bunch of proven aftermarket parts available for it. However, new products are coming out for the SS, if you're patient (or have a limited budget for mods anyhow).
yeah i agree, i like the cobalt's exterior way better then the inside. I like the srt4 seats better.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:18 PM

the SS def. has a nicer interior, the srt-4 does have proven mods, the SS will have those mods aswell soon enough... both cars are mad nice, personally though im buying a cobalt SS b/c i work at a chevy dealership, GMS pricing this month, and i like the overall looks of it better.. so what if theres recalls.. its all under warrenty, all cars have em.. the cobalt SS is big news, and its only going to get bigger its the new hot ****
Old 06-17-2005, 11:32 PM

OK for the SRT-4 guys out there mayb this is just on of me SS fluke stories but when i raced a neon i beat him two outta three times. Off the line he smoked me but from a roll of 30 and 45 i smoooooked him. I deff thought his car was modded out but he said no it was all stock. Just goes to show that anotha SS beat a SRT-4
Old 06-18-2005, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by voodooSRT
also the SRT ISNT a first year car. who knows how many (if any) recalls GM will have for the cobalt
GM has recalls for the sake of being a responsible company, Daimler Chrysler on the other hand avoids recalls with far too many TSBs. As far as I know the Cobalt has had 1 or 2 recalls and maybe a couple of TSBs, look at the '95 Neon, only 2 recalls to this day but about 58 TSBs that I know of (who could ever forget the head gasket?). The difference is if GM screws up THEY pay for it, when Chrysler screws up YOU pay for it!

Just my outlook on the quality of the cars produced and the (difference in) willingness to be responsible for manufacturer defects.

Also I am in now way bashing Chrysler, I have family that work for them (as well as for GM), they make some great cars. My comments are only meant to reflect the integrity of GM and Chrysler.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
This really surprises me

i went up to dyno in edmonton with the SRT club on the weekend. Every single SRT except 1 dynoed over 230hp to the wheels with 230-280 tq.

Now with all our dynos here, mine being 209 with 91 octane, some as high as 217, we are still way out classed in performance. There is no way we should be able to take a SRT especially in the 80mph range..

Possibly keep up with them for a bit from a launch, but once we are higher in the band, we will lose for sure.

The 0-60 1/4 mile times are only equal in the car and driver magazine. I think the true tests are us testing the car. Ive run with SRTs from a roll and everytime have been pulled on. Maybe in time, when my car learns, i may keep up a little better but i dont expect to be able to beat an SRT. Plus with their mods, we cant yet.

My opinion on what car to buy?

Well if your looking for a car for performance, go with the SRT. Its got way more potential for modification, plus mopar has alot of stuff to make it go faster. Plus, you can upgrade the turbo and get better gains.

If you want a bit of styling, go for the SS. I personally like the SS much better for looks wise, plus i like the performance from the supercharger. Granted, the turbo spool and BOV are damn sweet, i love the whine of the S/C. Its tough to say what GM is going to do for the ecotec 2.0 S/C, but im hoping we can run with an SRT. But right now, we are in the dark.

Either way, your where i was: SRT=performance SS=Styling with potential performance. I chose SS and i still get harassed by the SRT guys telling me to get a better car haha

but i wont
Old 06-18-2005, 10:40 AM

I work on a SRT4 website (see sig), so I've only mostly dealt and learned about SRT4's. I haven't see a Cobalt SS in person nor have gotten the change to test drive or sit in it. Here's what I think

- Cobalt SS and SRT4 are equal on the 1/4 mile (of course it depends on the drivers)
- Cobalt SS has a better looking interior (IMO)
- SRT4 has more aftermarket support (Cobalt is still new, in time it'll have more aftermarket)
- Mopar stage kits for SRT4, keeping the warranty with adding some horses (varies by dealership)
- Cobalt SS isn't as abundant as the SRT4, so if you are looking to be original you might want to consider this. Of course, this is only a temporary thing
- The SRT4's viper seats aren't very comfortable to me, in fact it's pretty annoying. This might be because of my size (5'9" 190lbs)
- SRT4 = 4 door, Cobalt = 2 door.......this is why I lean towards the Cobalt more

That's all I can think of right now. It is a hard decision. I hope you are happy with your decision in the end. Good luck to ya
Old 06-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Banned

What numbers did I post?

Just a technical look at things though. Torque isn't wining high speed races Horsepower is. The SS/SC and Redline ar geared very good and close. The weight difference of the two cars makes up for the 15 HP gap.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by mchat
Sorry, I've seen the Cobalt's interior... to say it is "100X better" is laughable. I would say at best that it is marginally better.

Marginally better? sorry to say but ur among the verrrrrry few who have that opinion. The interior is one of the strongest selling points of that car next to performance. I havent seen an SS with the Recaro seats, but the black/costom color inserts look pretty damn good. Anyone who has ever asked me anything about My car when they have seen it has complemented me on how nice the interior is.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:36 PM

and i have to agree i do like the interior better in the SS (auto headlights, cruise control) are also nice features
Wow, that's the first I heard about no cruise. I had heard about only the front 2 windows being powered, but no cruise is a deal breaker.

Cruise control is a necessity in my world, ESPECIALLY with a high powered car. I don't want to have to stare at the speedo every second on the highway just to make sure I don't accidentally go 10 over. All it takes is one time to get a ticket. Just last night I was coming home and the road was mostly empty. Had the cruise set at 70 in a 65 and a cop still flashed his brake lights at me. I imagine without cruise there would be a 50% chance I would have gotten pulled over, as I would have been trying to go the same speed but it's hard to moderate your speed perfectly with hills/valleys, traffic, etc.

That just screams stripper to me. Add in the fact that only 2 of the 4 windows are powered and it comes off as cheap. I can't think of another "sports car" that doesn't have cruise control, so don't I won't believe anyone that says it doesn't matter to most people.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS132
Marginally better? sorry to say but ur among the verrrrrry few who have that opinion. The interior is one of the strongest selling points of that car next to performance. I havent seen an SS with the Recaro seats, but the black/costom color inserts look pretty damn good. Anyone who has ever asked me anything about My car when they have seen it has complemented me on how nice the interior is.
Agreed 100%. His opinion is definitely in the minority on the interior factor. The whole neon line is being ended soon--it's time for a fresh design and DC knows it.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ssstraub
Wow, that's the first I heard about no cruise. I had heard about only the front 2 windows being powered, but no cruise is a deal breaker.

Cruise control is a necessity in my world, ESPECIALLY with a high powered car. I don't want to have to stare at the speedo every second on the highway just to make sure I don't accidentally go 10 over. All it takes is one time to get a ticket. Just last night I was coming home and the road was mostly empty. Had the cruise set at 70 in a 65 and a cop still flashed his brake lights at me. I imagine without cruise there would be a 50% chance I would have gotten pulled over, as I would have been trying to go the same speed but it's hard to moderate your speed perfectly with hills/valleys, traffic, etc.

That just screams stripper to me. Add in the fact that only 2 of the 4 windows are powered and it comes off as cheap. I can't think of another "sports car" that doesn't have cruise control, so don't I won't believe anyone that says it doesn't matter to most people.
yeh i didnt know the cruise control thing till i bought the car. it still pisses me off, luckly there is a mod for it. so you can just add it in. its like $100CDN to do so
Old 06-18-2005, 05:08 PM

Their is no cruise?! ehh i gues syou can live with it.

im with SSStraub, i would probably have 50 tickets right now if it wasnt for cruise, its just so hard not to go fast, i hate it!!!!! (well not really)
Old 06-18-2005, 06:07 PM

Gas Prices

I just put an order in for a 2006 which I'm hoping will be here by late August, early September. My main choice for the SS over the SRT - it runs on reg unleaded and with the difference per litre (I'm a Canadian boy) between the two now running at about 10 cents, were talking anywhere from $5-$6 a fill-up - or about $250/yr. That's $250/yr I can put towards mods - what do you guys think...am I on to something here???
Old 06-18-2005, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by dj4all
I just put an order in for a 2006 which I'm hoping will be here by late August, early September. My main choice for the SS over the SRT - it runs on reg unleaded and with the difference per litre (I'm a Canadian boy) between the two now running at about 10 cents, were talking anywhere from $5-$6 a fill-up - or about $250/yr. That's $250/yr I can put towards mods - what do you guys think...am I on to something here???

Yes and no. You can definitely save money buy putting regular gas in your SS/SC, but you're going to see a performance difference that no $250 mod would make up for. Personally, only 93 goes into my car.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=SuperCharger]
Originally Posted by dude3466423

QUOTE]

Just make sure you tell your buddy not to try drag racing an SS/SC from a roll... he will lose every time.

ROFL......Better Hope the SS has over 1278.3-1280.1 hp then.........and the car weights less then 3,300 pounds.

see ya.......

dude....
Old 06-18-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by dj4all
my car gets nothing other than 94octane. it pulls timing on everything else
Old 06-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my car gets nothing other than 94octane. it pulls timing on everything else
Same here.

I use only 93 (can't get 94)... No point putting cheap gas in an high performance car.

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS vs. SRT4