2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Dual Pass, Option B's, Diagrams.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Pass, Option B's, Diagrams.

So I have a dual pass endplate coming to me later this week and I have a custom option b tank coming also. The tank is custom in the regard that it will allow the coolant to flow through it, not just sit in there like the GM option b tank.
So in other words there will be 3 hoses coming off of it, one 1/4 for the bleeder, 1 for coolant to enter, and 1 for coolant to exit.
I've been told on RLF that this isn't a good idea, and am looking for more opinions.
I'm doing it this way so that I have the ability to throw some ice in it before a race to cool it down somemore. I was told it would be bad for just daily driveability though. Again, opinions or facts to disapprove or support this from anyone?

#2. Can anyone draw me up an explanatory diagram of the standard dual pass endplate setup with the option b tank.

and #3. Could anyone draw me up one for what I described above.

#4. Could someone draw me a pic of how the laminovas are supposed to be for each (if they differ?)

Keep in mind I have looked over all the GM **** and honestly all of it is really confusing hence why I'm asking to see a different one from actual people using them. Not looking to get flamed here with search the forums and other things like that, just looking for some honest help because I'm tired of sifting through all the misinformation.
Thank you in advance.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:45 PM

The diagrams are on this website already drawn.

and as for the coolant tank idea.. its awesome... Works wonders.. you really dont need that bleeder on the top though, because the way the coolant is ran with the enter / exit hoses, air bleeds itself into the tank.
I would keep the top nipple un covered to allow the air to escape.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShortStack
I've looked and been told this or that is wrong and im so tired of trying to sift through the misinformation when i dont know what is right or wrong honestly. Help me out on where to look for the correct ones?

and as for the coolant tank idea.. its awesome... Works wonders.. you really dont need that bleeder on the top though, because the way the coolant is ran with the enter / exit hoses, air bleeds itself into the tank.
You use yours for daily driving and still see cooler temps?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:51 PM

DD all the way..

with that little extra cooling tank your talking about, i can litterally put my hand on my intake manifold and it is just warm.. not scorching like it used to be..

this is on a hot FL day too..

Ill look around for the diagrams for ya.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Banned

Do you have the dual pass endplate also? or just the tank?
And thanks on the diags.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM

i think leaving the top nipple uncovered is a bad idea - what if the coolant gets hot enough to over flow?

there are diagrams in the "dual-pass option B testimonials" thread that i have made for the dual-pass endplate with option b. there are also pictures there to help find out the best way to place the hoses, and which way to switch the laminovas

it is not a bad idea at all to run the coolant through the "ice box". i would still keep the bleed line, as it removes air from the top of the heat exchanger that wouldn't otherwise get carried out by the normal flow of the coolant. there will always be some up there unless ou have this line.

BTW, i am not just talking from what I "think" i know. I have an extra heat exchanger and the dual-pass with option B
Old 02-10-2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tennpenn83
i think leaving the top nipple uncovered is a bad idea - what if the coolant gets hot enough to over flow?

there are diagrams in the "dual-pass option B testimonials" thread that i have made for the dual-pass endplate with option b. there are also pictures there to help find out the best way to place the hoses, and which way to switch the laminovas

it is not a bad idea at all to run the coolant through the "ice box". i would still keep the bleed line, as it removes air from the top of the heat exchanger that wouldn't otherwise get carried out by the normal flow of the coolant. there will always be some up there unless ou have this line.
Considering the top of our filler necks, stock, just open to atmosphere, thats what purge lines are for
Old 02-10-2009, 03:55 PM

Just a tip for you. A couple guys I know have Option B with their dual pass. One of the guys I know for sure had a small "kink" if you will on his line that ran from the tank to where the original feeder neck used to be. So all he did was buy a plastic 90 to put there to keep the hose from getting the kink and it works great. Just something you might want to check before you start running your car after doing option B with dual pass.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:56 PM

if you run the extra tank with a enter / exit hose, it bleeeds itself..

what happend when a air bubble mixed in with some coolant hits the tank, thats open to atmostphere (meaning it isnt pressurized) ?

the air comes to the top, and only coolant flows into the hoses.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM

Considering the top of our filler necks, stock, just open to atmosphere, thats what purge lines are for
?? It's not open to atmosphere.. it is a sealed system

btw, here is the link to the dual-pass/option B testimonials thread

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/dual-pass-option-b-testimonials-102294/

if you run the extra tank with a enter / exit hose, it bleeeds itself..

what happend when a air bubble mixed in with some coolant hits the tank, thats open to atmostphere (meaning it isnt pressurized) ?

the air comes to the top, and only coolant flows into the hoses.
where are you getting that it is open to the atmosphere? do you not have a pressure cap on?

Last edited by Tennpenn83; 02-10-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-10-2009, 03:59 PM

Bleeding off from the h/e is pain stakingly long... if you use the un pressurized system (which is what the op is talking about) then it takes literally 1/25th of the time (not literally )

If you take off the bleeder hose, it becomes a purge valve... which is what helps bleed the air faster.

Last edited by ShortStack; 02-10-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-10-2009, 04:01 PM

Bleeding off from the h/e is pain stakingly long... if you use the un pressurized system (which is what the op is talking about) then it takes literally 1/25th of the time (not literally )

If you take off the bleeder hose, it becomes a purge valve... which is what helps bleed the air faster.
Yea, mine seriously took about 2 days for it to fully bleed. Whenever I drove my car, I would open the hood, and check my coolant level and add dexcool when needed. Just drove around with a bottle of 50/50 dexcool/water mix until it was fully bled. lol
Old 02-10-2009, 04:03 PM

See, when i did it (with it open to atmosphere).. i made it to the end of my neighborhood... my secondary tank was completely empty, filled it... drove back to my house, it was halfway empty... topped it off

got back to the front of the hood, it lost a little bit... then after that final top off (total of 5 min) my system was completely bled and filled...
Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Banned

alright tenn penn i went in there and looked over the pics and everything you posted and very informative and loving it cause it's also on a RL but I was wondering if you could possibly show me how mine would be run, because the diagram i have now the laminovas are set up differently i believe and idk how it works and everything.

bump anyone know if this will work??

Last edited by daythecountrydied21; 02-10-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-10-2009, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by daythecountrydied21
alright tenn penn i went in there and looked over the pics and everything you posted and very informative and loving it cause it's also on a RL but I was wondering if you could possibly show me how mine would be run, because the diagram i have now the laminovas are set up differently i believe and idk how it works and everything.

i can't sit there and make a new diagram just yet, but basically, how i would run it if i were you...

pump out to stock h/e in
stock h/e out to aftermarket h/e in (preferably the cx racing dual-pass one - the small one)
aftermarket h/e out to "ice box" in
"ice box" out to inlet nipple (the middle one) on the dual-pass endplate
two outs on dual-pass endplate to a "T" fitting making it into only one line
from "T" fitting to pump in

don't forget about the bleed line. the best way is to take your 1/8 rubber hose and splice it into a "Y" fitting with enough hose to run to both heat exchangers. put the .040" orifice in the side headed to the "ice box". run the other 2 lines to the top of both h/e's to help to bleed the air from the top where it will inevitably get trapped.

that should be it. pretty much a dual-pass option B with the coolest possible fluid going into the inlet portion of the endplate/intake manifold. oh, and don't pay attention to all the haters...

EDIT: if you don't have a second heat exchanger just yet, just leave that part out for now. but be sure to pick one up later on
Old 02-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Banned

i'll only be running the stock h/e for now, if i feel the need i will get a cobra or cxracing and add into the mix, if you could help me out any with that, and how the laminovas would need to be setup at some point in time that would be very greatly appreciated, I just don't really understand the coolant flow on the car too well so it gets confusing very quickly to me .

EDIT. so you're saying for running with the stock h/e that diagram will work?
What about the endplate flow, in the diagram the hot fluid is coming out the middle contrary to what your idea is, what would you do about that?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 AM

If you get the larger heat exchanger (cxracing or new ott one, not sure about the cobra) i would just use the aftermarket HE standalone.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:04 AM

And if your running a option B tank that has an inlet and an outlet.. it will bleed the air itself like i was saying before.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 AM

If you get the larger heat exchanger (cxracing or new ott one, not sure about the cobra) i would just use the aftermarket HE standalone.
there's debate on using one vs using the stock inline with an after market one... idk.. i have yet to see any difference in iat's short term or long term over either setup.

to daythecountrydied, i now you have an "ice box" and dual-pass, but there is no such thing as enough cooling. i highly doubt you always have ice on hand for a good race followed by a good race. ice is a very good idea for short term - say 1/4 mile track days as long as you can keep supplying ice. but an extra heat exchanger (or a replacement - if you choose to just run the one) is never a bad idea
Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 AM

well just because its basiclly like hat trick stu's mod doesnt mean he has to run it through ice..
Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Banned

there's debate on using one vs using the stock inline with an after market one... idk.. i have yet to see any difference in iat's short term or long term over either setup.

to daythecountrydied, i now you have an "ice box" and dual-pass, but there is no such thing as enough cooling. i highly doubt you always have ice on hand for a good race followed by a good race. ice is a very good idea for short term - say 1/4 mile track days as long as you can keep supplying ice. but an extra heat exchanger (or a replacement - if you choose to just run the one) is never a bad idea
yeah i plan on getting a second one, just not right now however haha.

so you're saying for running with the stock h/e that diagram will work?
What about the endplate flow, in the diagram the hot fluid is coming out the middle contrary to what your idea is, what would you do about that?

and shorstack the plan is for some ice to get thrown in whenever i track it, need all the help i can get
Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 AM

i'll only be running the stock h/e for now, if i feel the need i will get a cobra or cxracing and add into the mix, if you could help me out any with that, and how the laminovas would need to be setup at some point in time that would be very greatly appreciated, I just don't really understand the coolant flow on the car too well so it gets confusing very quickly to me .

EDIT. so you're saying for running with the stock h/e that diagram will work?
your "in" should be the middle nipple, you "outs" should be the outer 2. the laminovas need to be arranged so that the small holes are coming out the middle 2 cores

oh, and i know you have a "ice box" but adding a second heat exchanger is never a bad idea. short stack says adding the extra h/e and bypassing the stock one or simply removing it) would work, but idk, i have never seen any comparos between the two setups. i would be inclined to believe that both running inline are better but idk

also, the extra heat exchanger would definitely help when you don't have any ice... which will most likely most all of the time. ice box is great for the 1/4 track, but any other time, your extra heat exchanger would be more beneficial

well just because its basiclly like hat trick stu's mod doesnt mean he has to run it through ice..
well, ice would be the point in the ice box, wouldn't it?

Last edited by Tennpenn83; 02-11-2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Banned

your "in" should be the middle nipple, you "outs" should be the outer 2. the laminovas need to be arranged so that the small holes are coming out the middle 2 cores

oh, and i know you have a "ice box" but adding a second heat exchanger is never a bad idea. short stack says adding the extra h/e and bypassing the stock one or simply removing it) would work, but idk, i have never seen any comparos between the two setups. i would be inclined to believe that both running inline are better but idk

also, the extra heat exchanger would definitely help when you don't have any ice... which will most likely most all of the time. ice box is great for the 1/4 track, but any other time, your extra heat exchanger would be more beneficial

well, ice would be the point in the ice box, wouldn't it?
blah i've got to get to sleep but i will draw up my own diagram of what I think you're saying and see what you have to say about it. I appreciate your help very greatly thank you and to everyone else inputing.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 AM

blah i've got to get to sleep but i will draw up my own diagram of what I think you're saying and see what you have to say about it. I appreciate your help very greatly thank you and to everyone else inputing.
no problem, glad to be of help

i'll check back in tomorrow
Old 02-11-2009, 12:30 AM

But its not an ice box... its an option B that has two hoses coming out of it instead of one..

it doesnt neccessarily have to run through ice.

thats all im saying lol

Last edited by ShortStack; 02-11-2009 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Dual Pass, Option B's, Diagrams.