2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Enthusiasts and vendors alike... header testing inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Enthusiasts and vendors alike... header testing inside!

I've been waiting for a long time to do this. I've had the time to personally collect a production header from 5 different companies, and in the next few weeks, they will all be tested on my personal vehicle. I am not here to cause a pissing match between vendors, or to claim an outright "best header", since that's not logically possible. Everyone on here has a preference of where they want the power to be felt the most at.

Each header will have information documented on them, from the most important being the dyno, to what the car feels like on daily driving (butt dyno to some), any noticeable change in sound. Videos will be taken for every header, sounds while idling, through the rev range, and pulls both on the dyno and on the street. I will also have pictures available for those who want a better look at the headers that I test, but I'll do that at the members request.

All headers used in this comparison will be compared to the stock header. Dyno pulls will be posted on the same plotting graph as the stock header once those results are posted. The tuning that is done for the stock header won't be the peak power my car is putting out, but as I said just a baseline. This way, we can avoid having to tune for every header. If we tuned for every header, that would skew the information.

The testing will be done at All Aspects Dyno, a well respected dyno tuning shop in Virginia Beach. All Aspects is well known on the east coast for their work with Subaru's to say the least. They have an all wheel dynojet and my tuner BennyHHR has the dynojet software.

Now, the headers I have on hand now are:

GM Stock Header- (combined with 3" cti downpipe)312 whp/ 247 wtq

Hahn Shorty Header

JBodyPerformance Header
260 whp/ 219 wtq

The header/dp combinations I have are:

Clear Image Auto Header/dp

Vibrant Header/dp

Vibrant after two more degrees timing.

All of the headers will be hooked up to a dp with a 3" exit into a 3" hahn catback. Unfortunately both combo setups I was able to get a hold of are 2.5" exits, but I have a reducer fitting from hahn that will connect to those.

Now the fun part. I am welcoming either anyone on here that wants to contribute to this project and donate their header for a short time. The testing would be around a week, and if need be, I would send one of mine to replace yours during the time I had yours in my posession. The ones in particular that would make this more complete are from:

Custom Tubes Inc. (CTI)

ZZP

Cobalt-Addiction

Pacesetter

Weapon R (not expected..., don't know of anyone that even has one.)

I'm even reaching out to the vendors. If you are willing to send your header for the testing, you would be allowing testing to be done on a highly modified lsj and could boost sales for you. All of the details could be sent to you if you so wish. If a signed agreement would make you feel better, as long as both parties could be properly satisfied, then I'm all for it.

If anyone has a 3" setup from Clear Image or vibrant, I'd like to swap with you as well just for a time. This is big, but would help to cut down on the bickering about who's best. I know there will be ideas floating around, and I am open to them if it will make this better.

Oh, and just for the record, I don't have a personal preference of which one I want to be the best..., I could give two ***** less. That's not why I'm doing this. There will be no opinions stated except the feel while driving the car. Everything else will be on paper or on video. People will have their thoughts and beliefs, which is fine but I won't allow this to turn into a ***** thread. Please help keep this one clean and productive.

Last edited by Deathscythe; 08-27-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Doc

I should take off my mid-length for ***** and grins.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 PM

if you're willing to help that'd be great man. How's the recovery coming?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Doc

I'm down, it's going slow. I'll be back the 12th, then I can get it swapped out with the stock pieces.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Sounds good man. You running a zzp setup?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:22 PM

I have a 3" CIA dp with a 3" exit, just needs a flange welded on.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Doc

yea, I don't remember what the specs are right now, I have to search for it.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 PM

What's up Doc?

Deathscythe, I can't wait to see the results.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Im interested to see the results. We had a zzp combo laying around our shop for like 2 months that you could have used, but my friend actually just sold it today! Son of a bitch lol
Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by ShortStack
I have a 3" CIA dp with a 3" exit, just needs a flange welded on.
do you have the flange needed for it? I can weld it on if need be.

Originally Posted by InfraRedline
Im interested to see the results. We had a zzp combo laying around our shop for like 2 months that you could have used, but my friend actually just sold it today! Son of a bitch lol
that's cool, I appreciate the thought. I just want to see what will come out of this. I'm also giving vendors a chance to flaunt their stuff. Kinda get away from the ricer math thing.

Last edited by Deathscythe; 06-26-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-26-2009, 11:13 PM

cant wait to see the results
Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 PM

in for numbaz
Old 06-26-2009, 11:38 PM

it's going to be good, I'm just wondering what kind of support is going to come through...
Old 06-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 211 Likes on 170 Posts
subd
Old 06-26-2009, 11:58 PM

I'll swap my Cobalt Addiction V2 for the JBP.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:09 AM

ok, when the time comes I'll let you know. The stock tests are going to start on July 15th. If not sooner.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Deathscythe
The tuning that is done for the stock header won't be the peak power my car is putting out, but as I said just a baseline. This way, we can avoid having to tune for every header. If we tuned for every header, that would skew the information.
Are all the runs going to be made on the same day?

If not I would like to suggest getting dyno results off the same tune for every header like you mentioned.

AND

Get a dyno run comparison of each head with a custom tune pushed to the max. I know people like the argue AFR vs Timing so lets not get into that. So keep the afr the same and just push the timing as far as you can for each header. That will provide more information.

Also, do you plan on measuring the length of each runner for each header? It would be interesting to see which headers claim to be "equal length" actually are.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you were local i'd lend you my Jason Smith header...but I don't have the time to take it off my car for testing.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:03 AM

yeah get a close measurement on them headers,,, cough JBP cough... not saying anything but some dont seem to sound to equal to me : ) awating results so i guess watchin for now...
Old 06-27-2009, 04:25 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no pacesetter header? being the cheapest header available, and one of the most discredited, i think it belongs on the list
Old 06-27-2009, 06:08 AM

yeah and make sure u dont get the ebay one lol ... get the right 1 for a ss/sc it has 1.75 primary's and all the other 1's have 1.5's( pacesetter brand at least)
Old 06-27-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ebristol
Are all the runs going to be made on the same day?

If not I would like to suggest getting dyno results off the same tune for every header like you mentioned.

AND

Get a dyno run comparison of each head with a custom tune pushed to the max. I know people like the argue AFR vs Timing so lets not get into that. So keep the afr the same and just push the timing as far as you can for each header. That will provide more information.

Also, do you plan on measuring the length of each runner for each header? It would be interesting to see which headers claim to be "equal length" actually are.
Even with the 5 headers I would be swapping between, honestly that is highly unlikely. Although I do have the dual pass w/ option b, the ottp heat exchanger, and methanol injection, I know there will be some that think a certain header will be cheated since it was further down the list. Doing it during the summer in virginia does have some advantages for this. I don't have to worry about the temperature fluctuating much out here, it'll stay around the high 80's to low 90's through the summertime. This way, temperature, barometric pressure, and humidity won't be much different at all.

Measuring the length of each of the runners was an idea that was thrown around between Joe (my tuner) and I, and it seems that it is in the interest of a few here, so we will do that: measured from inside the runner to make sure the length is as precise as possible and the collector isn't accidentally accounted for. Thanks for bringing that up.

Originally Posted by Hockeyman
If you were local i'd lend you my Jason Smith header...but I don't have the time to take it off my car for testing.
I'm assuming you have a custom header... sweetness! That would be interesting to see what it would account for. Like I mentioned earlier, I could send you a replacement for the time being before you took yours off so it would be a swap for you as well. The downtime would be minimized to a matter of hours, if that. Same day swap type deal.

Originally Posted by nicksredline
yeah get a close measurement on them headers,,, cough JBP cough... not saying anything but some dont seem to sound to equal to me : ) awating results so i guess watchin for now...
This JBP header is part of the reason why the test is going on. I remember the claims they were making before about the 31 whp gained, then hearing later on that it was with their intake and exhaust. But I have the header on hand, and it will be the first one on after I get the numbers for the stock header. I have mixed feelings about that header; the bullshit flag, more like anthem now..., has been raised about the claims of the equal length long tube style in a shorty fit. Either the header is what they say, or it's just built to sound like a boxer 4. Whatever the case, we'll find out.

Originally Posted by Jn2
no pacesetter header? being the cheapest header available, and one of the most discredited, i think it belongs on the list
Honestly, the pacesetter just slipped my mind. Actually a few days ago, I was talking about this with ralliartist in another thread of mine. If someone would be willing to do the swap, then I'm all for it. But I'll update my first post. Thanks.

Last edited by Deathscythe; 06-27-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mentioned the other day you can use my zzp midlength combo with 1.75 primeries 3" dp with 2.5 bolt in and high flow cat..
Old 06-27-2009, 10:37 AM

I remember, but I just found out that a member in my group down in va beach has one as well. If he changes his mind though, trust me I'll let you know.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deathscythe
I remember, but I just found out that a member in my group down in va beach has one as well. If he changes his mind though, trust me I'll let you know.

the only reason i mentioned it again is because i didn't know which zzp setup he had and in a month or so i'll be having a second car so the ion can have some down time

Quick Reply: Enthusiasts and vendors alike... header testing inside!