2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Enthusiasts and vendors alike... header testing inside!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think its that he won't, its that nobody has one...
Old 07-31-2009, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Pickles
yeah i know but im curious ! I think i want these or maybe mite just get the zzp ? What you think
Old 07-31-2009, 02:37 AM

yeah i know but im curious ! I think i want these or maybe mite just get the zzp ? What you think
Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 AM

Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 AM

If you're looking, I would say to just get the zzp. there are people that have them, with no complaints to be made. The weapon r is the unknown, and there's almost no information about it.

In other news, my meth progressive controller just went bad on me, so I have to get another one before I can get back on the road, and make sure that the car will not run lean under hard load. We're looking at maybe monday now to get back out there.

It will be done.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Deathscythe
If you're looking, I would say to just get the zzp. there are people that have them, with no complaints to be made.
X2. I have two locals with the combo setup, and they both really like it. I think the only issue they ever had was the bolts, which I believe is fixed now. I'm still not a huge fan of the two bolt top and bottom connection from the header to downpipe, but it seems to work.

Edit:

Maybe you should wait 'til he tests the zzp....
Old 08-01-2009, 01:06 AM

X2. I have two locals with the combo setup, and they both really like it. I think the only issue they ever had was the bolts, which I believe is fixed now. I'm still not a huge fan of the two bolt top and bottom connection from the header to downpipe, but it seems to work.

Edit:

Maybe you should wait 'til he tests the zzp....
Yeah i should wait but from the looks of it its gona take a few more weeks and im actually really curious to see what the jbp does because i have one installed love the sound but yeah i want power over sound ! What good is it that i lose a rae but i lose smilling cuz my car sounds bad ass ?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Rippin07
Love or hate the JBP I dont care, but why is everyone making out like the JBP is the problem with the car here???? "This one is the problem here."
The meth f'ed up, no biggie, fix the problem and go for it. The header had nothing to do with the problem. Looking forward to some results.
JBP was not the problem with the car as he stated, but its no surprise it made horrible exhaust flow. you can tell that just looking at it.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:33 PM

well, today the meth controller didn't come in, so Joe and I went ahead and took off the valve cover to look at the valvetrain from the top. We just wanted to make sure the head didn't take any damage from the last dyno run. I also re-checked the bolts for the header ended up finding one worked loose on the catback connection. So the leaks are gone. The controller should be in on monday, and a freshening of the tune will be necessary to make sure things are good before the dyno.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:05 AM

Bump for a great thread !
Old 08-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Banned

Death - Make sure on the "freshening of the tune" that you don't add or subtract ANY timing at all on your high octane map because that will skew the results drastically. You need to have the same amount of timing on every pull . Thanks again for this thread, I think it will be very informative when it is done. I am thinking about doing something like this but for a lot of parts in general. I was going to do it against a stock throttle body, ported throttle body and then the ls4. Then I was going to do all of the different types of cold air intakes to see what made the most power. I don't know if I am actually going to do it or not, but we will see.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 AM

Part of the problem was that the car was seeing knock..., up over 5 degrees of it in some places during PE. But we're kinda hoping it was because of the issue with the meth. If it wasn't because of the meth, then I'll have to pull timing to get it to run without knock to safely run it on my motor. If the knock ends up being minimal, then it may just stay the same, but if the same numbers show up, then I'll have to pull some timing.

Now you're idea for the throttle body testing would be good. My main issue with the ls4 is the driveability. You should find out the differences between the ls4 and a ported lsj as opposed to stock.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

I have tuned a few cars with the LS4 throttle body and as long as you change the idle scaler there really isn't a issue with the idle/drive ability. This is with TVS cars also. I just had a client with 79lbers, TVS, ls4 and I thought it was going to be some work to get it to idle like stock, but nah it was simple.

As soon as my motor is done being built I will get some base pulls on the stock tb and then I will get the ported tb and toss that on do some pulls and then I will see if I can't find someone to loan me an ls4 so I can do some pulls on that.

As far as the whole knock issue I would recommend a couple things. Once the parts for the meth kit come in hook everything back up how it was and use your same meth mixture and go do some pulls. If you don't have knock great. If you DO have knock then simply leave the timing how it is and increase your meth mixture. If you are running 50/50 now and have knock, try running 90/10 and seeing if you do. If you still have knock with a 90/10 setup then you will have to back down your timing, however this will skew the numbers. I would recommend doing another "base" pull after changing the timing with the stock header and then doing the pull with whatever header you are testing. Or just simply tell us how much timing you retarded so we can estimate a hp decrease. I mean it's not like your going to be taking off 10 degrees, it should only be 1-2 degrees in a few cells tops. If you were getting 5 degrees of knock on that dyno run it was because of your meth issue, I highly doubt your tuner would set you up to regularly have 5 degrees of knock lol.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Well for one, I'm not going to raise the meth content anymore, since I'm already running a 75/25 mixture. Going to a 90/10 would be a negligable difference. I'm spraying through a 7gph nozzle, and the block is getting plenty meth to keep things cool. I'm looking more along the lines of the header being enough of a restriction that it's stacking air trying to get out of the head. There are some tight bends that slow the exhaust gases down, and you can hear that the header is struggling up top. That's going to cause the car to work harder than it thinks it has to, and kr will result.

Things will be adjusted to the point where the car is running without kr, but the tune will be as close to the stock tune as possible.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Unhappy

ight man hows the car?...... when are you gunna be up and running like you want it again. its a damn shame that that **** happend. freaking sucks dick man.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:21 PM

so its monday and i cant wait to see whats happening
Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM

She is running just fine. Just rotated the tires (lol), but everything is good with the car. After the controller gets here, everything will be set to go, and we can get it on the dyno, possibly by friday.

Just as a reminder, there are a few components I am looking for. I'm going to have to find someone that has a 3" downpipe for the vibrant exhaust, since I've only been able to get a hold of one with a 2.5" exit. Also, those who have contacted me in pm's, expect to hear from me real soon. It should be going much faster once the jbp header is done, and that should be by friday.

Last edited by Deathscythe; 08-04-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-04-2009, 04:10 PM

the vibrant exhaust has a 2.5 flange i have one
Old 08-04-2009, 05:40 PM

okay, i just found out that they only offer the 2.5" as a downpipe.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:12 PM

okay, i just found out...

Deathscythe's car is ******' dirty!!

His replacement for the dead AIS controllwer didn't come in.

AIS "customer support" sucks, as of right now. No response to email or phone.

Header test on hold until this **** gets straight.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:35 PM

The controller finally showed up today. I'll have to wait until Friday to get it hooked up, and then it's just a matter of checking over the tune, and making sure all is good. At this rate, we should be on for saturday.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 PM

What time? I might be able to come.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:24 AM

Thumbs up Awesome work

Hey man. I gotta say, this is awesome work you are doing. Huge props for stepping out and taking this mantle upon yourself. There will be many that will appreciate your efforts, and your results will definitely shake things up and benefit the community.

It really sucks that sticking your neck out for the benefit of others nearly cost you your engine, and I am glad that you came out of that situation safe. I really think it is ironic and hilarious that it was the jbp header you were testing when you ran into problems. Many have made it perfectly clear that it was not the header that caused the meth problem, but it is still funny that a product was involved from the most infamously controversial company when you almost blew up.

I wish you the best of luck through the rest of the testing, and I really hope you don't run into any other scary issues on the way. I'm a little far away to help much, but I will be watching every step of the way, and if I can help at all let me know. I know there are many others who will be on the edge of their seat as you unveil results week after week.

PROPS AND BEST OF LUCK!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by domin8_gt
What time? I might be able to come.
If Joe is able to stay for the weekend and Kienan has the time, then I would say midday on saturday.

Hey man. I gotta say, this is awesome work you are doing. Huge props for stepping out and taking this mantle upon yourself. There will be many that will appreciate your efforts, and your results will definitely shake things up and benefit the community.

It really sucks that sticking your neck out for the benefit of others nearly cost you your engine, and I am glad that you came out of that situation safe. I really think it is ironic and hilarious that it was the jbp header you were testing when you ran into problems. Many have made it perfectly clear that it was not the header that caused the meth problem, but it is still funny that a product was involved from the most infamously controversial company when you almost blew up.

I wish you the best of luck through the rest of the testing, and I really hope you don't run into any other scary issues on the way. I'm a little far away to help much, but I will be watching every step of the way, and if I can help at all let me know. I know there are many others who will be on the edge of their seat as you unveil results week after week.

PROPS AND BEST OF LUCK!!!
It has been an experience, that goes without saying. It wasn't something I had in mind at first, but I realized that I was just stacking headers while I was gone on deployment. I just decided that it would be fun to run tests and see what's actually worth the money.

The meth situation really had me worried..., I don't know if most people noticed, but in the the second video I posted back at the end of the month, you can hear me say "what the ****?" at the end of the video from the way that the car was idling. I hate to say it but my car sounded like it was choking on something..., literally. It's done though, and we will hopefully retest on saturday to finally put things to rest.

I am really appreciative of the support I have received from those of you on here that have spoken openly. And I know that there are those that are just waiting to see how things shake out. It's been a lot of fun though, and when things are done, and if my engine can take the abuse(...), then we'll have the information we need.

Last edited by Deathscythe; 08-06-2009 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Deathscythe
If Joe is able to stay for the weekend and Kienan has the time, then I would say midday on saturday.
I work until 1pm, and my work is nearby. I should be able to make this if it happens.

Quick Reply: Enthusiasts and vendors alike... header testing inside!