2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

exhuast question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhuast question

i was wondering in the spring time i am gonna get an exhuast for my car. my question is will a customer exhuast give me less or more HP gains then a magna flow,corsa or another big market brand setup?

it will be fed by a vibrant header and downpipe.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I take it you meant custom, not customer, and it all depends on how the custom exhaust is made, how smooth the bends turn out to be, the diameter piping you choose, etc etc.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by plaxton
i was wondering in the spring time i am gonna get an exhuast for my car. my question is will a customer exhuast give me less or more HP gains then a magna flow,corsa or another big market brand setup?

it will be fed by a vibrant header and downpipe.
im a junior member but i have been messing around with cars since the age of 14. my friend used to have a full magnaflow exhaust on his eclipse. yea yea ricer i know but still that summer we had a lot of extra time on our hands so we decided to build a custom exhaust for his eclipse. we ended up building a super straight custom exhaust with magnaflow muffler at the end. since before he had the magnafllow he was able to tell the difference. we didnt dyno it but you could definetly feel a bit more of a respone compared to the full catback magnflow exhaust. so i mean im talking from experience and oh yeah we used 3" piping from loews so i mean it wasnt that expensive to make one the only problem would be if you didnt have a welder but im sure if you made a layout for the exhaust a local muffler or exhaust shop could weld it for you
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 PM

you can get more hp with a custom exhaust... you can get a few resonators and piping...( 200-265 ide go with 2.5) 265hp+ ide go with a 3inch( personal opinon ) you will lose bottom end torque unless you have enough power to have the 3 in actuily help ur car. also you can do the loudmouth set up witch is a straight through loudmouth muffler with no resonators( i beleave) and it is defiatly a mean growl.

So lol long post short... you can definatly get more gains with a custom exhaust but u cant just get up under there and un bolt it considering most of the time it is welded in. well good luck and if u need more help pm me.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Just like WhiteSSbalt said, there are many factors that affect the exhaust flow and sound. Crushed or Mandrel bent. 2.5 inch or 3 inch. Which muffler. Which resonator. But if you can match all those qualities with the manufacturer you want, then a big name is pretty much what you're paying for. I have a catted CTI DP into stock exhaust. Than a Magnaflow axle back. I think it sounds awesome.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 PM

yes custom(was speaking with a customer at the time), 3", single tube no welds, mendral bend piping from cat back. anything else that could affect HP gains?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 PM

It depends what kind of muffler you get.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM

understandable. i am thinking a magnaflow or flowmaster muffler. any other good brands that you guys can think of?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by plaxton
understandable. i am thinking a magnaflow or flowmaster muffler. any other good brands that you guys can think of?
i think magnaflow is the best one it also has the best tone a lot deeper and louder than flowmaster. plus magnaflows a pretty cheap only around 80 bucks and im sure you could find a cheapper on in one of the classified forums.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Not a Sebring

Originally Posted by Boykob123
i think magnaflow is the best one it also has the best tone a lot deeper and louder than flowmaster. plus magnaflows a pretty cheap only around 80 bucks and im sure you could find a cheapper on in one of the classified forums.
Yeah, Magnaflow or Flowmaster are your best bets, but unfourtunantly, they are rather played out.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteSSBalt
Yeah, Magnaflow or Flowmaster are your best bets, but unfourtunantly, they are rather played out.
what do you mean by they are "Played Out"
Old 03-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Not a Sebring

what do you mean by they are "Played Out"
Generally everyone who does a custom exhaust setup chooses to run either a Magnaflow or a Flowmaster muffler. There are more choices/options out there. People are just too lazy to look for them.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteSSBalt
Generally everyone who does a custom exhaust setup chooses to run either a Magnaflow or a Flowmaster muffler. There are more choices/options out there. People are just too lazy to look for them.
well i mean there are many choices like ive even seen ppl put ricer mufflers like greddy evoII muflers on a cobalt but i went to an exhaust shop and they said for cars like cobalts and their nuild you are gnna want a box type muffler not the rocket can that you bolt on a civichttps://www.cobaltss.net/forums/imag...s/icon_lol.gif
Old 03-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Not a Sebring

well i mean there are many choices like ive even seen ppl put ricer mufflers like greddy evoII muflers on a cobalt but i went to an exhaust shop and they said for cars like cobalts and their nuild you are gnna want a box type muffler not the rocket can that you bolt on a civichttps://www.cobaltss.net/forums/imag...s/icon_lol.gif
Oh you mean like this one?

Jeeez what was this guy thinking putting a "ricer rocket can" ARK N2 cat-back on his Cobalt? Man, being different is for the birds. This guy will never win COTM on two different websites, win Turbowax's winter photo contest or have his car in a calender...........

I grew up modifying Hondas and sport compacts.......my first car was an '88 RX-7, which I had an Apex-i GT Spec cat-back on..........yet another "ricer rocket can". Nothing wrong with that style muffler. Yeah its a Chevy....and yeah its a canister style exhaust. News flash, its 2009. Cobalts are closely compared with cars like RSX's and TC's in terms of styling and the way people modify them, so its perfectly acceptable for someone to put a canister style exhaust on a Cobalt. It might not be for everyone, but at least respect the people who attempt to think outside the box and do something different rather than conform to "whats correct".
Old 03-10-2009, 04:12 AM

i do thank you all for your information and opinons. i though magnaflow and flowmaster was pretty much my only to options. i guess i got some research to do. thanks for the heads up.

as a side note i have done up the civics and the rice rockets never was a fan of the canister type boom mufflers lmao, but i have to look at the style and see how it would fit in the rest of the car.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=WhiteSSBalt;3578563]Oh you mean like this one?

Jeeez what was this guy thinking putting a "ricer rocket can" ARK N2 cat-back on his Cobalt? Man, being different is for the birds. This guy will never win COTM on two different websites, win Turbowax's winter photo contest or have his car in a calender...........

QUOTE]

alright alright my bad lol i shouldnt be one to talk b/c im about to buy a meagn exhaust with a greddy Evo II muffler so my bad iuts true canister types are accptable but i dont like the raspy sound thats why i got the evo II muffler from gredy it sort of like a mix of both it sounds really nice a bit quieter than the meagan racing exhaust but a lot less raspier and a much deeper and smoother tone