2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

FAQ - Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everything about superchargers!

evything you want or need too know about superchargers!!!

http://www.superchargersonline.com/faq.asp

thought this would be useful for some ppl!
Old 02-11-2006, 11:46 AM
p7x

good find man! - bookmarked
Old 02-11-2006, 12:03 PM

Hey thats a great find. Alot of helpful information.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:23 PM

Awesome find
Old 02-11-2006, 01:19 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FAQ - Superchargers

Taken from: http://www.superchargersonline.com/faq.asp

Question: Why would I want to supercharge my vehicle?

Answer: Supercharging increases air density and significantly increases power on an otherwise stock engine. In short, supercharging makes a V-6 perform like a V-8 and makes a small block V-8 perform like a big block V-8. OEM manufacturers like Ford, GM, Mazda, Mercedes, and Jaguar offer factory installed superchargers on several models due to the tremendous benefits. Our supercharger systems offer more torque and horsepower per dollar than any other single engine modification. Most other modifications available require specific matched parts, in-depth tuning, are not smog legal, and won't produce the performance gains you'll receive from just the simple addition of a supercharger system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: What exactly does a supercharger do?

Answer: A supercharger forces additional air and fuel into the engine. This occurs when the engine is under full throttle or under load, not at normal cruise or most normal driving. A large displacement engine makes more power than a small displacement engine because it can convert larger amounts of fuel and air into energy. A supercharger allows a smaller engine to do the same thing but only when extra power is actually needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: How much power could I expect to gain with a supercharger?

Answer: Roughly, you can expect to gain about the same power difference percentage as you gain induction pressure percentage. The equation is HPafter = ((14.7 + boost)/14.7)*HPbefore. For instance, if you have a 200HP engine and you add 7.5psi boost, you can expect to have about 300HP. This is an estimate, not an exact calculation so take it for what it is worth. In reality, it will likely be just a bit less than that due to inefficiencies and air density losses due to heating. If you are intercooled, you will get closer to this estimated power.

Question: Will a supercharger affect my engine life?

Answer: Engine longevity is a function of your personal driving habits and how well your vehicle is tuned. If a vehicle is tuned properly and not abused, engine life should remain unaffected for the most part, although in general, any power adding modification will increase engine wear. Even a stock vehicle will show signs of premature aging if used under rigorous conditions such as racing and/or towing. Likewise, premature engine failure is a possibility with any vehicle that is not properly tuned and a supercharged vehicle is no exception. As explained, a supercharger is an air movement device that forces increased air into an engine. While under boost, the additional air requires additional fuel to enrich the air to fuel ratio entering the engine. In many cases, the timing must be taken out of the engine under boost conditions. Detonation (a pinging noise from the engine) is a sign that your vehicle is not running properly and can indicate a variety of problems including a lean condition, a timing curve that is too aggressive, or low octane fuel. Demanding performance from a detonating engine will likely result in reduced engine life with or without a supercharger. We recommend that the installer of any supercharger be qualified to identify detonation and have the ability to identify and correct the cause of it.

Question: Will a supercharger affect my fuel economy?

Answer: Fuel economy depends entirely on your driving habits and in some cases you may experience an increase in gas mileage. Under normal freeway driving, for example, the supercharger is not under boost but is increasing the efficiency of the engine by forcing air through restrictions like the air filter. But let's face it, you are not interested in a supercharger to enjoy "normal driving conditions." When you are demanding additional performance from your vehicle it will require additional fuel. If you are a "lead foot" your fuel economy will decline because your car is working harder. If you are simply using the supercharger for occasional acceleration and passing performance, then your fuel economy should remain about the same. Remember that the only way to make more horsepower is to burn more fuel per unit of time, and that's exactly what a supercharger is designed to do.

Question: Will installing a supercharger on my vehicle void the factory warranty?

Answer: The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 USCA § 2301 – 15 USCA § 2312) prohibits a dealer from voiding your warranty simply because you have modifications to your vehicle. It is the Dealerships responsibility to prove that any modification was the reason for a failure. Most supercharged applications do not harm the vehicle’s engine. With that said, some Dealerships are more performance orientated and willing to work with customers. It would be our suggestion to consult with your local Dealership regarding their warranty specifics. You can download the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act by clicking here. (Adobe Acrobat Reader required).

Question: Can I install a supercharger system myself?

Answer: Installing a supercharger is not brain surgery. If you are relatively mechanically inclined, can follow directions, and have the necessary tooling then installation can usually be completed within a 6-8 hour timeframe. Each manufacturer goes to great lengths to ensure that each kit is complete with everything you will need, some even down to the wire ties, and that the directions are clear, visual, and concise. They also provide excellent tech support should you run into any problems during the installation process.

Question: Do I have to tap the oil pan for the oil supply?

Answer: It depends on the type of supercharger system you purchase. Some of the units we sell are called “self-contained” units and have their own internal lubrication system, or are belt driven and do not need lubrication. The other units do require the oil pan to be tapped, but the process is much easier than it first sounds.

Question: Can I purchase a supercharger pulley upgrade for my Eaton supercharger?

Answer: The only way to get a supercharger pulley upgrade for an Eaton head unit is via Eaton or Magnuson Products directly. Third-party distributors/resellers are not authorized to carry Eaton pulleys.

Question: Where should the source for a boost reading be taken?

Answer: Boost readings should be taken at a clean manifold source. Perhaps run a T Line off of the vacuum/fuel pressure regulator.

Question: Can I run more than 6psi on my Whipple Supercharger?

Answer: Each Whipple Supercharger kit is designed to run a safe 6psi of boost on your stock engine. Any more power would have to be supported by a cooling option (i.e. Intercooler, Water Injection, etc.)

Question: What kind of oil is required for the Whipple or Kenne Bell Supercharger?

Answer: The Whipple and the Kenne Bell supercharger requires any 5w/50 grade synthetic motor oil.

Question: What is an FMU?

Answer: An Fuel Management Unit (FMU) is a special rising rate fuel pressure regulator placed in the fuel return line of the fuel injection system. This is a very common approach to handling the increased fuel demand required by supercharger kits. It does work. It will make the injectors flow more fuel than their rating. These are used in addition to the factory fuel pressure regulator and only have an affect under boost. They are rated by the ratio of fuel pressure to boost pressure. For instance, a 10:1 FMU will give you 100psi fuel pressure at 10 psi boost pressure. The problem here is that the extra pressure on the fuel pump decreases the flow capacity of the pump. That is the last thing you need on a supercharged engine. You can offset that by installing an in-line fuel pump in addition to the in-tank pump.

Question: Is the supercharger always working?

Answer: While the supercharger is always spinning and moving air, it is not always producing boost in the engine. Boost is a function of engine load and RPM. The majority of the time your supercharger will not be producing boost. The supercharger produces boost under high load conditions which may include heavy acceleration, going uphill, passing another vehicle or under towing conditions. Superchargers offer the power you need on demand, the reminder of the time the engine is working just like a normally aspirated engine.

Question: What is the difference between a centrifugal supercharger and a roots type supercharger?

Answer: A roots-type supercharger is a positive displacement supercharger that forces air into an engine with two rotating, intermeshing rotors. A centrifugal supercharger has an impeller that pulls air through the center and directs the air into a scroll using centrifugal force. The scroll resembles a large blow-dryer with a circular shape and a discharge tube. The air is directed in the scroll, pressurized and forced out of the discharge tube and into the engine.

The two types of superchargers have different performance characteristics that have led to several debates on which supercharger is preferable. Proponents of roots blowers argue that more boost is available at lower RPM to provide off the line acceleration. Centrifugal supercharger enthusiasts argue that roots blowers are limited at higher RPMs and can increase air temperature and decrease horsepower. Paxton Superchargers offer significant horsepower at low RPMs with superior mid and high RPM performance. In situations where you demand performance from your vehicle, you are spending most of the time in the mid to high RPM ranges.

Question: What would cause my engine to detonate at high RPM?

Answer: Detonation is generally caused by lack of fuel or improper ignition timing. Other causes of detonation can be high engine temperature, improper spark plug gap, excessive boost, low octane fuel, excessive discharge temperature, or bad spark plugs.

Question: How often should I service the Whipple and Kenne Bell Supercharger?

Answer: You should check the oil in the Whipple or Kenne Bell compressor every 3,000-4,000 miles, and you should change the oil every 12,000-15,000 miles.

Question: Are headers recommended with my Whipple supercharger kit?

Answer: Keep in mind that if you choose to use headers, you may experience an overall increase in power output. However, you will see a change in the torque band. Torque will be produced slightly later in the rpm range because there will not be any back pressure as a result of the headers working in conjunction with the exhaust system to improve overall airflow efficiency.

Question: How do I change my boost on a supercharger?

Answer: Changing the boost on a supercharger can be achieved by switching out the pulley. The smaller the pulley the quicker it will turn the compressor, which will lead to a higher boost level. Now if go from a smaller pulley to a larger pulley it will make the compressor turn slower, which will lead to lower boost levels. Always remember that when increasing the airflow you may need to increase the fuel. Depending on the boost level you are trying to achieve, you may need to upgrade your fuel system to accommodate for the additional boost.

Question: How do you check the oil in a Whipple head unit?

Answer: When checking the oil level in a Whipple supercharger, you should check it when the dipstick is in the "screw position." If you check the oil in the "unscrew position" the oil reading will be off by 1/4-1/2".

Question: What is the difference between the V-1 and V-2 Vortech Head Units?

Answer: The main difference between the two systems is that the V-2 (version 2) SQ (super-quiet) has helical cut internal gears that produce virtually no supercharger noise. Performance, size, price and other attributes are identical between the two head units.

Question: What is the function of a spark plug?

Answer: The spark plug is what causes ignition. It takes a voltage surge from the coil through the distributor, and produces a high voltage spark that ignites the compressed/boosted air fuel mixture within each cylinder. If everything is working properly and your fuel curve is set appropriately, an even and safe burning of the compressed mixture will result. The piston is pushed down, the crankshaft turns, and the engine runs efficiently. This provides maximum fuel economy, lowest exhaust emissions and is the ideal, safe ignition scenario for a boosted application.

Question: Why do we need to change spark plugs?

Answer: If your goal is to maintain an efficient engine and maintain your engine's fuel economy, you should change your spark plugs at regular intervals. As spark plug electrodes wear, the voltage required to jump the gap increases. Under hard acceleration, high speeds or heavy loads, misfires can occur and that will waste fuel. Also, aside from inhibiting the performance of a supercharged application, a rich fuel mixture or poor oil control can foul or coat the ceramic insulator on the spark plug tip. This will eventually cause the spark plug to stop working.

Question: I have a Whipple Supercharger Kit on my 1996-2001 GM 5.0L Truck. Will it mount to a 1996-2001 GM 5.7L engine also?

Answer: This supercharger kit will mount directly to either the 5.0L or the 5.7L GM engine. The only difference is the size of the supercharger pulley that is used. The GM 5.7L engine uses a slightly smaller supercharger pulley. Extra pulleys are available through our website.

Question: What happens if my supercharger drive belt breaks? Will my vehicle still work?

Answer: It the supercharger drive belt breaks the car will drive exactly like it did without the blower. It will run perfectly normal, but you still should be able to drive around. However blower drive belt breakage is very rare. These belts typically last for 50,000 miles or more.

Question: Is dropping the compression a good idea to make power?

Answer: This will allow you to make more power and have better reliability. You can make more power with boost then you can with compression, however.

Question: Can I vent my bypass to the atmosphere or do I have to recirculate the air?

Answer: Cars with mass air flow(maf) meters must recirculate the air. Any air taken into the system is metered and measured. This measured air must be used or the car will not run properly. Cars with map sensors or carburetors can sump the air to the atmosphere. Map sensors do not measure the air until after it enters the engine. The maf systems measure it before the blower just after the filter.

Question: How does a Kenne Bell supercharger mount onto a 1996 Mustang Cobra engine w/ 4.6L?

Answer: The Kenne Bell Head Unit will replace the entire Intake Manifold and mount directly to the Heads. It is considered a "center mount" unit.

Question: Why is intercooling such a good thing?

Answer: Anytime you compress air, it heats up. Even at 100% adiabatic efficiency (which is impossible), the air will heat up quite a bit. The inefficiency of the compressor (turbocharger or supercharger) will heat the air up even more. As the air is heated, the density of the air drops. Engine power is a function of the amount of air, and fuel, you can get into the cylinder during the intake stroke. It is not really the volume of air but rather the mass of air that is the key. As the air is heated and the density drops, the same volume will supply less air mass to the cylinder. The key is to not only compress the air, but to cool it back down as well to achieve the maximum mass of air, and therefore maximum power.

In addition to this, the hotter the inlet air, the more tendency the engine will have towards detonation and pre-ignition. These are very damaging to the engine and they rob power.

Question: What effect will supercharging have on the life of my engine?

Answer: The primary cause for premature engine wear and failure is detonation and increased RPM. Most of our manufacturers’ systems integrate fuel system controls such as calibrated proms or interface computer systems. These management programs virtually eliminate any potential for detonation. In addition, the supercharger will deliver maximum power at a lower RPM than the engine did before supercharging. This low speed torque and horsepower enables the user to operate their engine at a lower speed. This lower operating speed can actually enhance engine life and increase fuel economy. Typically, an unblown engine has to run up to 7,000 or 8,000 rpm to make any real power. At these high speeds you need a special crank, rods, pistons, rocker arms, valves, valve springs, and on and on. But a blower substantially increases power and torque at much lower rpm's. You usually don't have to run a blown engine over about 6,000 rpm to make maximum power. At these speeds stock engine components are usually more than adequate. Additionally an engine sees maximum load on the components at the moment the piston changes speed from going up in the cylinder to going down. There is a commonly held theory, too complicated to go into here, that increasing the combustion pressure, which a supercharger does, actually reduces this maximum load when piston travel changes from up to down. Under this theory, at comparable rpm's a blown engine is easier on parts than an unblown engine. In actuality, as long as detonation is controlled, you rarely have any engine failures with a blower.

Question: How can you control detonation?

Answer: A number of companies who make ignition systems also offer devices usually called "Boost Retard" units. These are relatively inexpensive and allow you to dial in the amount of "boost retard" needed to control detonation. What this means is that when using this device you can run normal lead in your distributor, which provides good starting and economy under normal driving conditions. However, when the engine goes into boost, which normally occurs only when you floor it or are under a load such as going up a steep incline, the Boost Retard device automatically retards the ignition timing to avoid detonation. Many of these systems have a dash-mounted knob that allows you to adjust the degree of retard per pounds of boost. Several of the kits we sell include Boost Retard units in them.

Question: What is the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger?

Answer: Both turbochargers and superchargers are called forced induction systems. They both compress the air flowing into the engine . The advantage of compressing the air is that it lets the engine stuff more air in a cylinder. More air means that more fuel can be stuffed in too. Therefore you get more power from each explosion in each cylinder. A turbo/supercharged engine produces more power overall than the same engine without the charging. The typical boost provided by either a turbocharger or a supercharger is 6 to 8 PSI. Since norTurbochargers are powered by exhaust pressure while superchargers are driven from the engine crank pulley. Superchargers allow you to attain boost and horsepower on demand. A turbocharger requires the exhaust pressure to build resulting in a "lag" in horsepower increase. A turbocharger will typically have a higher discharge temperature than a centrifugal supercharger. This higher temperature is a result of the turbo impeller spinning faster and the heat generated from the exhaust gas.

Question: Can I install a supercharger system myself?

Answer: Each supercharger system we sell comes complete with detailed instruction manual. A word of caution: bolting on a 50% increase in horsepower is not magic and some kits can be more challenging than others. You must be confident in your mechanical training, experience and abilities to properly complete the installation. Any error in the installation could affect the performance and drivability of your vehicle. Additionally, any modifications to your vehicle, including engine work, exhaust, tire size and gear ratios, could require additional modifications to fuel and timing. If you are not sure about your abilities to install a supercharger system, make sure you have somebody who can help you, or simply let a performance shop do the installation for you.

Question: There is no supercharger system available for my vehicle - can I design a custom application using supercharger head unit?

Answer: Most head units (supercharger compressors) are universal and can be mounted to any vehicle (space permitting). To design a custom application requires a bracket to mount the supercharger to the engine, custom air tubes to bring air to the supercharger and a custom discharge tube to route the air from the supercharger to the engine. Significant consideration needs to be given to pulley location, size and alignment. Once the supercharger is installed there are several tuning factors including proper timing and fuel delivery. Several smaller supercharger specialists use Paxton Superchargers for niche market applications. A custom application is certainly not impossible but definitely presents a challenge. A custom supercharger application should only be performed by individuals with fabrication and tuning capabilities.

Question: What is boost?

Answer: Boost is the amount of pressure (in pounds per square inch) that the supercharger provides. The air that goes into an unblown (unsupercharged) engine is drawn in by the vacuum created when the piston goes down in the cylinder bore. This air goes into the unsupercharged engine at atmospheric pressure, which at sea level is 14.7 psi (pounds per square inch). On a blown engine the boost is the amount of additional pressure the inlet charge has over atmospheric that goes into the engine. So if your blower makes ten pounds of boost that means your inlet charge is atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi) plus the 10 psi of boost for a total of 24.7 psi.

Question: How much boost can you normally run?

Answer: Six to nine pounds (psi) is normally a safe level for most stock engines. Running more than this will usually require a reduction in compression ratio. Centrifugal superchargers can typically safely run more boost than a roots type blower due to the fact that the pressure is created inside the blower instead of in the manifold. Every engine is different and some engines are more tolerant of boost than others.

Question: Which is more important, horsepower or torque?

Answer: Horsepower is a rate based measure of an engines ability to do work. In order to accelerate a given mass from 0 to 60 mph for instance, a certain amount of horsepower is needed. Torque, on the other hand, is merely a force. Torque can exist with no motion. Therefore a torque rating really does not tell you much without an RPM that the torque was measured at. If you have torque and RPM, you can calculate horsepower HP=(torque ft*lbs x RPM)/5252. So you may wonder why people get so hung up on torque. Well, given a peak torque and RPM, and the peak HP rating, you can tell some characteristics of the engine performance you won't get with just HP. If you have an engine with a peak torque above the peak HP, you have an engine that does not care to rev but instead has good power at low engine RPM. If you have an engine with torque (ft*lbs) and HP ratings about the same, it is a typically automotive engine. If you have an engine with high HP ratings and low torque ratings you have an engine that has poor power down low but can rev very high. Bottom line, any performance estimates will require the HP, not the torque.

Question: What exhaust system should I use with my supercharger?

Answer: Stock is OK. However, the increased mass of the intake air makes the exhaust system flow more than it was originally designed for. Therefore, exhaust modifications such as high performance cat-back exhaust systems can add substantial increases.

Question: What else can I do to get even more out of my engine now that I have a supercharger?

Answer: Several modifications can be made to your engine to substantially increase horsepower, in fact there are too many to list. In basic terms, you will need to strengthen the engine internal components, increase air flow and increase fuel. It is recommended that you consult with others who have implemented successful engine combinations.

Question: How do you change the boost?

Answer: On any belt driven blower, which is most centrifugals, you can change the amount of boost by changing the size of the pulley on the blower. The smaller the pulley the faster the blower runs and the more boost it makes. We sell different sizes and varieties of pulleys for most of the major manufacturers.

Question: Are superchargers noisy?

Answer: Some blowers can have a whine when the engine is running, particularly when they are in boost. This is usually due to the gears inside the blower-housing turning. Some superchargers, like the Powerdyne belt-drives, do not use gears and therefore are virtually quiet when in operation. Whipple also makes a very quiet supercharger.

Question: What’s the performance difference of a screw-type supercharger and centrifugal superchargers?

Answer: The major difference between the positive displacement screw-type supercharger and today’s centrifugal superchargers is the rate of boost. The screw-type supercharger creates boost the instant the throttle is touched usually reaching full boost by 2000 to 2400 rpm. The centrifugal supercharger is a belt driven turbo that has a lag time while it "spools up." The centrifugal commonly does not come into boost until 2600 to 3000 rpm and they commonly do not reach full boost until max rpm. When the centrifugal superchargers do reach boost though, it tends to be greater than the screw-type. Whenever the screw-type has more boost, your engine has more power giving you far more net power, especially in the lower rpm ranges. This is why screw-type superchargers are more preferred for towing applications.

Question: What kind of fuel is required with a supercharger system?

Answer: All of our supercharger systems require the use of premium fuel. Octane boosters are not required but may improve performance in severely hot climates or under circumstances where a heavy load is placed on the engine for an extended period of time such as racing or towing. In emergency situations, regular gas can be used with the addition of high quality octane boosters for short periods of time.

Question: When should a standard air bypass valve be used?

Answer: A standard air bypass valve should be used on all supercharged applications where the supercharger is making more than 6 psi. The advantages of using an air bypass valve include eliminating compressor surge (the noise heard during deceleration) for quieter supercharger operation, and reduced heat soak in the discharge tube and the supercharger.

Question: How much horsepower will a supercharger add to my engine?

Answer: Although some manufacturers claim a specific horsepower increase, superchargers actually add horsepower as a percentage gain (percentage of an atmosphere). Assuming an engine with a compression ratio of around 9:1 running pump gas, if a supercharger gives your engine 14.7 psi of boost, (which is atmospheric pressure) then the output of your engine will double, everything else being equal. After adjusting for thermal and mechanical energy transfer, if an efficient centrifugal supercharger is generating 7.5 psi (approx. 1/2 of atmosphere), you will see around a 35-40% gain in horsepower and torque at your non-supercharged maximum horsepower rpm. If detonation forces you to use an ignition/timing retard system, you will of course see less of a gain because backing off several degrees of timing will greatly reduce an engine's power output. At higher boost levels, the heat generated by compressing air will produce diminishing returns as the boost is increased, although the use of intercooling or racing fuel can avoid this scenario of diminishing returns. Assuming the use of intercooling to run higher boost levels while maintaining reliability, a 100% increase can generally be achieved at around 17 psi on an engine with 9:1 compression running pump gas.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:03 PM

thought it would be useful for ppl!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:07 PM

thx for that info
Old 03-15-2006, 09:21 PM

http://www.superchargersonline.com/f...chTerms=cobalt
Old 05-23-2006, 07:14 PM

There is alot of useful information on that site, good find.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:07 PM

Supercharger FYI

I was on the phone with one of the largest supercharger repair facilities in the US today regarding how loud the super charger is screaming at Idle with the new pulley ala stage 2 The tech cut me off mid sentence and stated loudly " DO NOT CHANGE THE PULLEY " !
Further stating that they are swamped with Cobalt superchargers that have detonated because of the GM stage 2 kit. He said that the Eaton blower on this car is certified for only 6 LBS boost with this intercooler and not a pound more.
Can anyone back up that the blower is very loud at ilde , and is it safe to drive to the dealer before the chip is flashed ?

Mellow Yellow
06 SS/SC
Stage 2
Old 08-26-2006, 01:17 PM

stock is 12.5 pounds of boost, what the hell is he talkin about??
people are running 2.5 inch pullies and other toys with ZERO issues, i know there have been a few on here that had issues with their charger, but if i can recall the cars were stock or close to, i have a 2.85 on my ss, a 2.7 is goin on in the next few weeks and my car and charger are running very strong, and at idle you cant hear anything, something is obviously wrong with yours and i woudlnt get stage 2 until its looked at, just my 2 cents.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:30 PM

Thanks for your opinion Distillion,, I don't know where I went wrong with the supercharger ?
The old pulley pushed right off like butter , the new one went on the same. The only thing I can think of is that when I first pulled the snout off ,the bearing plate came with it and the rotors for about 1" until I noticed what was happening and pushed it back in. It went back in fine but now it is making a mechanial noise. I put a stethescope on the casing and it nearly blew my ear drum out. I just dont know. It sounds fine when I rev it. Maybe the bypass valve is not opening.

Mellow Yellow
Old 08-26-2006, 01:43 PM

what are you hearing at idle, does it sound like rocks in a can or does it sound like air may be leaking through somwhere, or is it more like a squeel???
Old 08-26-2006, 05:40 PM

I just re-installed the charger after completely dismantteling it. I could not find anything obvious wrong with the unit but I did discover that the rear shafts of the rotors are in very cheap needle bearings with little grease. It seems that this thing runs almost dry of oil or grease. The sound I am hearing is like the rotors are rubbing on the inside of the casting. It is not an expensive unit. It is possible that they are rubbing slightly. I'm not going to worry about it for now because they are Teflon coated. Eatons web site states that the snout should be running in oil half way up the gears. I don't know ?

Regards
Mellow Yellow
Old 10-15-2006, 10:42 PM

Will I have to upgrade the fuel system if I'm going to use a small pulley to increase boost
Old 10-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Banned

playboy illest what were you talking about on that one forum you said you heard that 10 psi would blow the supercharger but you were at 12 psi ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 PM

Nice!
Old 12-09-2006, 06:42 PM

thats right
Old 12-09-2006, 06:51 PM

great find
Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 PM

nice info...
Old 12-22-2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
I just re-installed the charger after completely dismantteling it. I could not find anything obvious wrong with the unit but I did discover that the rear shafts of the rotors are in very cheap needle bearings with little grease. It seems that this thing runs almost dry of oil or grease. The sound I am hearing is like the rotors are rubbing on the inside of the casting. It is not an expensive unit. It is possible that they are rubbing slightly. I'm not going to worry about it for now because they are Teflon coated. Eatons web site states that the snout should be running in oil half way up the gears. I don't know ?

Regards
Mellow Yellow

The rear needle bearings have very little load placed on them and run through durability testing for 150,000+ mile equivavlents..

DO NOT put oil halfway up the shaft.. when the system is stationary, it will leak past the seals and into the supercharger. you want it below the shaft.. or more importantly below the seal. Can you show me where eatons site says this?

The rotors are NOT TEFLON coated. Teflon is smooth.. have you seen the rotor coating?

If your rotors hit the casting.. you will have noticeable radial marks in the bore. I doubt its hitting the rotor bore in the casting. If the rotors hit the casting.. its usually under high boost
Old 12-22-2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by MarcS
Taken from: http://www.superchargersonline.com/faq.asp

Question: Which is more important, horsepower or torque?

Answer: Horsepower is a rate based measure of an engines ability to do work. In order to accelerate a given mass from 0 to 60 mph for instance, a certain amount of horsepower is needed. Torque, on the other hand, is merely a force. Torque can exist with no motion. Therefore a torque rating really does not tell you much without an RPM that the torque was measured at. If you have torque and RPM, you can calculate horsepower HP=(torque ft*lbs x RPM)/5252. So you may wonder why people get so hung up on torque. Well, given a peak torque and RPM, and the peak HP rating, you can tell some characteristics of the engine performance you won't get with just HP. If you have an engine with a peak torque above the peak HP, you have an engine that does not care to rev but instead has good power at low engine RPM. If you have an engine with torque (ft*lbs) and HP ratings about the same, it is a typically automotive engine. If you have an engine with high HP ratings and low torque ratings you have an engine that has poor power down low but can rev very high. Bottom line, any performance estimates will require the HP, not the torque.

-
Wow.. First off Torque is VERY IMPORTANT. Almost all engine dynamometer testing measures your engines torque at a given RPM. Horsepower is then calculated based on that number. (per SAE J1349.. which is how every engines power is tested)

Torque is a force and is what determines how much forward thrust (acceleration) the vehicle has. Very simply, in a given gear your vehicle accelerates fastest at its torque peak. Performance estimates can use either Power or Torque as long as you know the RPM!! Power is important in the fact it will allow you to utilize gearing to maximize the torque applied to the drive wheels.

Through any gear system (transmission or any other type of gear train) you mutiply and divide torque based on gear ratio.. but power remains constant (minus frictional losses)
Old 05-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by plyboy-illest
evything you want or need too know about superchargers!!!

http://www.superchargersonline.com/faq.asp

thought this would be useful for some ppl!
Great info, thanks!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 AM

I Just bought a 06 cobalt SS/SC. is the supercharger self contained? where does it get the oil from?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:25 PM

so changing the pulley on your supercharger affects ?

Quick Reply: FAQ - Superchargers