2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Finally Stage 2!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally Stage 2!

Almost two years ago I ordered a ZZP stage kit for my 06 SS/SC and was planing on having it installed and dyno tuned. well after a job lay off and moving for another job and finally having a company car so I don't need my balt for work and back. I had InfraRedline tune my SS and am really happy with the results. Made 234 whp and 215 FT LB TQ. Mods are 42LB injectors, 3" pulley, 3" intake and a axle back muffler. Mad props to InfraRedline! I can't wait to go e85!
Video of one of the pulls

Name:  20150606_193425_zpszpdhljoc.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  224.8 KB
Name:  20150606_180146_zpshhpl9jgr.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  226.7 KB

Last edited by matthewj182; 06-11-2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added video link
Old 06-08-2015, 02:07 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
nice job infra
Old 06-08-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks good. Should have pulled to 7,000
Old 06-08-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Psykostevo
Looks good. Should have pulled to 7,000
why? if it stopped at about 6500?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:36 PM

My max boost is only reading at about 13 psi too. I busted the upper stem on my boost actuator replacing vac line last winter and it's epoxied back on so that might be why the boost is low.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Name:  photo_zps48056747.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  22.3 KB
Old 06-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts

Nice OP
Old 06-09-2015, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
Old 06-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Nice.

Get yourself a nice highflow catted downpipe, or catless downpipe, and help that car breath some more.

The LSJ responds very well to exhaust side modifications.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Nice.

Get yourself a nice highflow catted downpipe, or catless downpipe, and help that car breath some more.

The LSJ responds very well to exhaust side modifications.

Yes that's the plan after transmission mounts and shocks/struts replacement. I'm really tempted to go E85 too.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Pretty tempted!? It's all around you, git it done! Taylor hooked me on it when he came to Canada to visit so I'm gonna run down states side and fill some barrels for the summer haha.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
cool stuff
Old 06-10-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Lol I'd kill for a Taylor tune on my car, nice numbers op
Old 06-11-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice post Matt! Thanks for the love. Was good meeting you and fun tuning your car. Get some exhaust side work, and some good E85 action and we will do it again!

Also, we were running to 7,200 rpms for most of the pulls, this was just our last pull we made where I wanted to do a couple pulls back to back to make sure the car was solid. Stayed in that 233-234whp range the last few pulls.

Some interesting info. I did an 06 LSJ the week before and dyno'd it bone stock with a muffler before installing some parts and tuning it. Stock with a muffler made 201whp (don't remember the tq, but I could look it up). After adding a 2.9" pulley and 42# injectors we made 228whp. A Redline I tuned with a ZZP mid length header and dp combo with an air box mod made 235whp on the stock pulley. Left it at 230whp for the street since I didn't feel safe leaving it as lean as it was for the 235whp pull. Shows how much some exhaust work helps these cars!

Matt, come back with exhaust and E85 next time and we should make in the 285-290whp range on a smaller pulley!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by InfraRedline
Nice post Matt! Thanks for the love. Was good meeting you and fun tuning your car. Get some exhaust side work, and some good E85 action and we will do it again!

Also, we were running to 7,200 rpms for most of the pulls, this was just our last pull we made where I wanted to do a couple pulls back to back to make sure the car was solid. Stayed in that 233-234whp range the last few pulls.

Some interesting info. I did an 06 LSJ the week before and dyno'd it bone stock with a muffler before installing some parts and tuning it. Stock with a muffler made 201whp (don't remember the tq, but I could look it up). After adding a 2.9" pulley and 42# injectors we made 228whp. A Redline I tuned with a ZZP mid length header and dp combo with an air box mod made 235whp on the stock pulley. Left it at 230whp for the street since I didn't feel safe leaving it as lean as it was for the 235whp pull. Shows how much some exhaust work helps these cars!

Matt, come back with exhaust and E85 next time and we should make in the 285-290whp range on a smaller pulley!
Good stuff man!!
Old 06-11-2015, 01:22 PM

I plan on it! I've been window shopping already for my next mods! hopefully have everything lined up for the end of August to come back and make some good numbers with E85!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
**** can't wait to get down there Taylor! SOON.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:14 PM

If anyone has any header DP combos FS let me know!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice Taylor. Just like how simple and cheap it is to make more power on these cars. Fun little rides.

So regarding your post Taylor about the previous cars tuned on your dyno.

You did a stock 06 Cobalt.
Stock aftermarket muffler only=201whp/? Trq
Plus 2.9/42's= 228. For a gain of 27 HP. I'm interested in the trq readings.

The Redline you did.
Zzp mid length/dp combo only on stock pulley/injectors/cat back plus your tune and air box mod =235 whp?
What was done to the air box? I'm guessing lean because stock injectors?

So that means regardless of what people are trying to say, header and dp does actually make more power.

I've always known and its been said a lot to exhaust mods are where we should start first ie: ported head, exhaust work etc. Your recent dynos just prove it more and show actual results. The smaller pulley tune made the blower inefficient without supporting mods.

I'm just curious and asking questions. I've been thinking of putting couple mods on my stock silver Redline but keeping stock pulley and doing only exhaust, head bigger injectors, e85 for fun.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SSfamilywagon
Very nice Taylor. Just like how simple and cheap it is to make more power on these cars. Fun little rides.

The Redline you did.
Zzp mid length/dp combo only on stock pulley/injectors/cat back plus your tune and air box mod =235 whp?

So that means regardless of what people are trying to say, header and dp does actually make more power.

I've always known and its been said a lot to exhaust mods are where we should start first ie: ported head, exhaust work etc. Your recent dynos just prove it more and show actual results. The smaller pulley tune made the blower inefficient without supporting mods.

I'm just curious and asking questions. I've been thinking of putting couple mods on my stock silver Redline but keeping stock pulley and doing only exhaust, head bigger injectors, e85 for fun.
I can get you those tq readings! I'll take a look at the graphs if I remember tonight. Lots of numbers to remember lol.

The Redline I did was on the stock catback actually, just ZZP header/dp combo with the airbox mod. Basically all he did was put an aftermarket filter in there and took the snorkel off the air box and mode some holes in the box. Crazy thing is that on the stock tune it made 228whp with those mods and the AFR was never richer than 12.8! And it peaked 27* of timing. I got fueling under control and made some small changes to timing and tq management of course and only managed another 7whp out of it, however it was at a much safer AFR.

Here's something else interesting. My friend made 343whp on his TVS with a 2.7" pulley on my old exhaust and intake setup. On my car with that exact header/dp/exhaust/intake/TVS/injectors and everything I made 370whp with the only changes being a ported head, ZZP S2 cams, and 2.6" pulley. I would say 90% of the gains came from the ported head. Its not a direct comparison since they were on different dyno's, but I've had 3 cars on my dyno that read within 1% of what they did on MAP's Dynojet where my TVS was dyno'd.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:53 AM

Another bonus is I think I'm getting better MPG too, I'm not sure how accurate the DIC is but when I was stock I'd reset it on a long hwy trip and see what I'd average for hwy mpg roughly. Stock on the same route for about 170 miles with the cruze at 60 the DIC said around 36 mpg avg and I used a little over half a tank, after the tune the DIC said 40 mpg and I used a little less than half a tank. A unexpected bonus! Name:  20150612_190355_zpsq5ntwsny.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  225.7 KB
Old 06-18-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dic is wrongggg
Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by SSfamilywagon

The Redline you did.

I was always a big advocate of exhaust work/supporting mods before pulleying down as well... people just don't like to believe it even with factual data. I'll add a little personal info if it helps you.

Within the first year or 2 of owing my car, I went to a cobalt dyno day. Only thing I had done was injen CAI and full exhaust (catted)... I put down 225whp + 199wtrq IIRC. I had nothing changed on the tune... stock tune.

A completely stock LSJ with stage 2 (GM tune, injectors, pulley, etc.) put down 227whp. I woulda bet we would have been pretty damn close in a race and I was on stock boost. only benefit he had was the 7k rpm redline over me at the time.

Infra - very nice comparison. I'm glad you are sharing your info with us regarding different parts and setups.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

I always tell people how well the LSJ responds to exhaust mods.

The ones who listen will have a nice running SS/SC.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can get you those tq readings! I'll take a look at the graphs if I remember tonight. Lots of numbers to remember lol.

The Redline I did was on the stock catback actually, just ZZP header/dp combo with the airbox mod. Basically all he did was put an aftermarket filter in there and took the snorkel off the air box and mode some holes in the box. Crazy thing is that on the stock tune it made 228whp with those mods and the AFR was never richer than 12.8! And it peaked 27* of timing. I got fueling under control and made some small changes to timing and tq management of course and only managed another 7whp out of it, however it was at a much safer AFR.

Here's something else interesting. My friend made 343whp on his TVS with a 2.7" pulley on my old exhaust and intake setup. On my car with that exact header/dp/exhaust/intake/TVS/injectors and everything I made 370whp with the only changes being a ported head, ZZP S2 cams, and 2.6" pulley. I would say 90% of the gains came from the ported head. Its not a direct comparison since they were on different dyno's, but I've had 3 cars on my dyno that read within 1% of what they did on MAP's Dynojet where my TVS was dyno'd.
I'm very curious on those trq numbers if you ever get a chance and remember. That is interesting stuff. These things really do need more injector to begin with. I think I've only read one ported head only change on a dyno for a TVS car. I'm just curious what results would be on a m62 car both big and smaller pulley. We all know you'll gain HP for sure, how much just interests me.

That's a good comparison from yours and your buddies TVS set up. Makes me hopeful for the wife's Redline when we finally do the head.

Originally Posted by CobaltSS 16
I was always a big advocate of exhaust work/supporting mods before pulleying down as well... people just don't like to believe it even with factual data. I'll add a little personal info if it helps you.

Within the first year or 2 of owing my car, I went to a cobalt dyno day. Only thing I had done was injen CAI and full exhaust (catted)... I put down 225whp + 199wtrq IIRC. I had nothing changed on the tune... stock tune.

A completely stock LSJ with stage 2 (GM tune, injectors, pulley, etc.) put down 227whp. I woulda bet we would have been pretty damn close in a race and I was on stock boost. only benefit he had was the 7k rpm redline over me at the time.

Infra - very nice comparison. I'm glad you are sharing your info with us regarding different parts and setups.
Now that is a nice comparison. It all makes me wonder because lately on the forums and fb pages its all header and dp are a waste of time and no gain on a m62 car. You'll loose trq/flow blah blah. No real dyno of it.

I also thought bolt on's on a stock tune car were a waste because my completely stock Redline is just as fast if not faster then my buddies Cobalt with 3" intake, 3" dp, 2.25 cat back, dual pass, opt b car. Now I'm thinking he sucks at driving haha. I've driven his car and it feels like mine maybe faster. Hpt log times show similar results. Maybe now we'll video a slow as stock race haha.

Anyway I'm just curious guys. Thanks for sharing and info. I'm still leaning on ported head, injectors, tune/e85 as my first mods for my silver car. After a complete stock dyno read out first.

Quick Reply: Finally Stage 2!