2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

GM Stage 3 Pulley on GM Stage 2 Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GM Stage 3 Pulley on GM Stage 2 Calibration

I tried searching, but the search sucks on this forum sucks and brings up every possible stage kit out there for results. Anways, I am sure that this has been done before, but are there any ill effects of swapping the GM stage 2 pulley with a GM stage 3 pulley? I am sure that the injectors can handle it no problem, but will the slightly smaller pulley generate much more extra heat? Is anyone here strictly stage 2 without cooling mods and has went to a stage 3 pulley? If so, I am curious if anyone has logged a big difference in IATs or was able to see timing pulled. Basically I am wondering if using the stage 3 pulley is going to cause a decrease in performance compared to the stage 2 without first going to some sort of cooling mods
Old 10-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran it for a couple years on my SS/SC . Even thou it isn't much of a drop it was noticeable . Boost would come on quicker and I saw 1 PSI increase . The temps in NY are pretty cool compared to most places so I never noticed any performance loss from high IAT's . Even in the hottest weather we rarely see 90's F so if you live somewhere where it gets 90 -100 degrees it might be a different story .

BTW .... GM stated in their stage 3 FAQ that the stage 3 pulley was safe to run on the stage 2 calibration .
Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rukkee
I ran it for a couple years on my SS/SC . Even thou it isn't much of a drop it was noticeable . Boost would come on quicker and I saw 1 PSI increase . The temps in NY are pretty cool compared to most places so I never noticed any performance loss from high IAT's . Even in the hottest weather we rarely see 90's F so if you live somewhere where it gets 90 -100 degrees it might be a different story .

BTW .... GM stated in their stage 3 FAQ that the stage 3 pulley was safe to run on the stage 2 calibration .
I may give it a go then since I don't really have an option at the moment of getting a proper tune, so I have to stick with something relatively safe with the GM Stage 2 calibration. Yeah, 90-100s isn't that uncommon for me but I haven't ran with the stage 2 during that time of the year yet. I'm not one who really pushes the car hard where it's to the point of seeing max boost much, so I can probably get by without colling mods for now. Where did you see the most improvement at, low end, mid range, top end with the stage 3 pulley?

Where did you find the FAQs at, I'm interested in reading it. I found one FAQ article, don't know if it was offically published buy GM, and it said that the stage 3 pulley generates too much heat and requires cooling mods on the stage 2 calibration
Old 10-23-2010, 11:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, it is perfectly fine. GM does state in the Stage 3 instructions that the 76mm pully is fine to run with the stage 2 tune. IAT2 will be slightly higher without any cooling mods, but it shouldn't be bad except on hard runs in the hot summer months.