2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

GMPP Honed Exhaust Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Yep.

I just installed it yesterday. He did an awesome job on it!!

I'm going to be making a thread on it as soon as I finish my "how to" thread for installing a dual pass endplate. I'll keep you posted.

p.s.: the car pulls very hard

Granted I might be outside of the norm for this site, but if GM was pushing 300hp on a car built on their parts... that's the way I would have built mine (had I ended up buying an Arrival Blue (or maybe Laser Blue) SS/SC)

Last edited by Staged07SS; 03-25-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres a pic of the one i ported for a friend nothing crazy but opened it up some

Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowBalt_06
heres a pic of the one i ported for a friend nothing crazy but opened it up some

Not bad, you can do more though.

From the second pic, did you leave the lump on the top of the exhaust port?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Not bad, you can do more though.

From the second pic, did you leave the lump on the top of the exhaust port?
nope i ended up taking the lumps all the way down
Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by soundjunky

I don't know about the other guys ~ but I read it the first time

Granted I might be outside of the norm for this site, but if GM was pushing 300hp on a car built on their parts... that's the way I would have built mine (had I ended up buying an Arrival Blue (or maybe Laser Blue) SS/SC)

I didnt post it twice on purpose.... It has been fixed!

but yes, I agree the parts GM designed for these cars are very good.

They are even better when slightly modified.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:47 PM

I didnt post it twice on purpose.... It has been fixed!

but yes, I agree the parts GM designed for these cars are very good.

They are even better when slightly modified.
I saw that "ninja edit" too

(original post)
I'm not sure why you double quoted the same post I made, but yes, I agree the parts GM designed for these cars are very good.

Did it purely to tease

The extrude honing process is VERY expensive, and for some sanctioned racing bodies, it's bending the rules a bit ~ because obvious honing is illegal, but extrude honing leaves no evidence of machine work...
This is not the first time GM has offered extrude honed parts to their customers in an effort to back racers;
The last time (that I'm aware of) was with the Oldsmobile Quad4 "Rocketparts" program;
I have one of those intakes on one of my Quad4 cars ~ and recently passed on an extrude honed exhaust manifold ~ only because of financial reasons...
The only difference is that the GM/Oldsmobile extrude honed Quad4 parts are MUCH rarer than these extrude honed LE5/LSJ exhaust manifolds...
Old 03-25-2012, 07:46 PM

Joe can you do this to a regular stock manifold or does it have to be a honed one to start off with?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by svtthis
Joe can you do this to a regular stock manifold or does it have to be a honed one to start off with?
I returned your PM. Yes you can do it on any manifold.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep.

I just installed it yesterday. He did an awesome job on it!!

I'm going to be making a thread on it as soon as I finish my "how to" thread for installing a dual pass endplate. I'll keep you posted.

p.s. the car pulls very hard
How does it compare to the Badmad shorty header that you had on before?
Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 AM

How funny this has come full circle. I remember when folks laughed at the extrudehoned GM manifold. From photos I saw of the collector area, it looked like it could use some actual porting.

The quad 4 (predecessor to the ecotec) used a tubular 4-2-1 "header" in the early years. It had a swivel in the 2 pipe down tube that used doughnuts and bolts with springs to keep it mated yet allowed engine movement. The 2 pipe downtube was pretty horrible though, but easily replaced.

The upper section was pretty good and easy to port. It also welded real nice. For the lower portion I cut off the stock pipe and made my own with a 2-1 collector all from 1 3/4" mandrel tubing. They performed very well.

In 1990 the HO engine came out and GM switched all the engines to a cast iron 4-1 manifold. These were also easy to port, but as Joe said, it takes a carbide cutter and plenty of elbow grease.
I figured GM switched to save cost.

Sounds like the stock iron Ecotec manifold is the best of both here. 4-2-1 and can be helped with porting.

Will be interested to see how staged results come out. I have a BadMab (never installed) and always though the collector was way too big and that the 4-1 design would cost torque.

I don't post here much, but have been here since late 05 when I bought my 06 SS/SC.

Ron
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 05RLS2
How does it compare to the Badmad shorty header that you had on before?
Well, so far I can tell I gained some mid range power over my shorty header. Top end feels strong as well.

I ran a base line on my GTech Pro RR with the shorty header, and when I get time this week, I'm going to run a test with the ported GMPP manifold. I have before & after measurement photos, and will share them with everyone once I make a thread. Joe did a great job, and I'm very happy with the results so far.

Originally Posted by RonSS
How funny this has come full circle. I remember when folks laughed at the extrudehoned GM manifold. From photos I saw of the collector area, it looked like it could use some actual porting.

The quad 4 (predecessor to the ecotec) used a tubular 4-2-1 "header" in the early years. It had a swivel in the 2 pipe down tube that used doughnuts and bolts with springs to keep it mated yet allowed engine movement. The 2 pipe downtube was pretty horrible though, but easily replaced.

The upper section was pretty good and easy to port. It also welded real nice. For the lower portion I cut off the stock pipe and made my own with a 2-1 collector all from 1 3/4" mandrel tubing. They performed very well.

In 1990 the HO engine came out and GM switched all the engines to a cast iron 4-1 manifold. These were also easy to port, but as Joe said, it takes a carbide cutter and plenty of elbow grease.

Sounds like the stock iron Ecotec manifold is the best of both here. 4-2-1 and can be helped with porting.

Will be interested to see how staged results come out. I have a BadMab (never installed) and always though the collector was way too big and that the 4-1 design would cost torque.

I don't post here much, but have been here since late 05 when I bought my 06 SS/SC.

Ron
Indeed!!

The problem is a lot of people think, because it is a stock part/made by GM it's junk. GM did a very nice job on designing the performance parts on our cars, and through testing many different setups on my car, I figured that out as well.

I saw that "ninja edit" too

(original post)

Did it purely to tease

The extrude honing process is VERY expensive, and for some sanctioned racing bodies, it's bending the rules a bit ~ because obvious honing is illegal, but extrude honing leaves no evidence of machine work...
This is not the first time GM has offered extrude honed parts to their customers in an effort to back racers;
The last time (that I'm aware of) was with the Oldsmobile Quad4 "Rocketparts" program;
I have one of those intakes on one of my Quad4 cars ~ and recently passed on an extrude honed exhaust manifold ~ only because of financial reasons...
The only difference is that the GM/Oldsmobile extrude honed Quad4 parts are MUCH rarer than these extrude honed LE5/LSJ exhaust manifolds...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 AM

Sub'd
Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM

You have my attention.... Sub'd for results
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Ron
I had understood the change was in large part to do with the cast iron part holding heat better ~ and getting better readings to the O2 sensor.
This is why the early Quad4 "tubular" exhaust had excessive heat shielding ~ to retain the heat for the O2.
(On a side note: I have noticed only a few select people here know about the Quad4 ~ which is kinda sad, but oh well...)

Did you happen to catch my comment's about said motor in my last post (#56)?

I have noticed that between both the Ecotec and Quad4 programs that the cast iron manifolds only become a nuisance once it becomes a restriction to the rest of the components ~ and as I've mentioned before the GMS3 LSJ cars make more horsepower than a great deal of the LSJ cars here...

@ RonSS;
I'll be down your way in a couple weeks time - I'm not sure ig I'll be in the Cobalt or Quad4 car as of yet... will be there for vacation & checking out the swap meet.

Last edited by soundjunky; 03-26-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

I had understood the change was in large part to do with the cast iron part holding heat better ~ and getting better readings to the O2 sensor.
This is why the early Quad4 "tubular" exhaust had excessive heat shielding ~ to retain the heat for the O2.
(On a side note: I have noticed only a few select people here know about the Quad4 ~ which is kinda sad, but oh well...)

I have noticed that between both the Ecotec and Quad4 programs that the cast iron manifolds only become a nuisance once it becomes a restriction to the rest of the components ~ and as I've mentioned before the GMS3 LSJ cars make more horsepower than a great deal of the LSJ cars here...
It's nice to know there is another member out there like me....

Being an engineer myself I understand some of the reasoning behind the parts on our cars that people think are restrictive/junk. GM didnt just slap these cars together. They took their time engineering the intake & exhaust system.

I'm proud to have an almost full GMR/GMPP car
Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM

It's nice to know there is another member out there like me....

Being an engineer myself I understand some of the reasoning behind the parts on our cars that people think are restrictive/junk. GM didnt just slap these cars together. They took their time engineering the intake & exhaust system.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:49 PM

@ RonSS;
I'll be down your way in a couple weeks time - I'm not sure ig I'll be in the Cobalt or Quad4 car as of yet... will be there for vacation & checking out the swap meet.
I did, but not until after I put up my post. Good to hear from someone who knows the Quad 4. I had 3 Calais. 2 were the 442 (a W40 and a W41). Very fun little cars and the quad 4 was a cool engine. Both my 442's live in Seattle now with another owner. He want's me to buy the W41 back. If I had room, I would!
BTW....I had one of those extrudehoned intakes on my W41. Got it from Paul Hacker.
I also machined up a phenolic spacer to keep the intake manifold cool....sound familiar?

Too bad they didn't have heated O2 sensors back then. BTW.....I have a Corvette now. The O2 sensor becomes an issue with long tube headers and the guys there just don't get it.....pretty funny.

Ah, the swamp meet! I used to live for that event, but haven't been in years. What Quad 4 car do you have? I believe the only quad 4 parts I have left are some lifters.

I have only ever added stage 2 to my Cobalt. I enjoy it just like it is, maybe someday I'll get into hotrodding it.

Later!

Ron
Old 03-26-2012, 02:39 PM

I did, but not until after I put up my post. Good to hear from someone who knows the Quad 4. I had 3 Calais. 2 were the 442 (a W40 and a W41). Very fun little cars and the quad 4 was a cool engine. Both my 442's live in Seattle now with another owner. He want's me to buy the W41 back. If I had room, I would!
BTW....I had one of those extrudehoned intakes on my W41. Got it from Paul Hacker.
I also machined up a phenolic spacer to keep the intake manifold cool....sound familiar?

Too bad they didn't have heated O2 sensors back then. BTW.....I have a Corvette now. The O2 sensor becomes an issue with long tube headers and the guys there just don't get it.....pretty funny.

Ah, the swamp meet! I used to live for that event, but haven't been in years. What Quad 4 car do you have? I believe the only quad 4 parts I have left are some lifters.

I have only ever added stage 2 to my Cobalt. I enjoy it just like it is, maybe someday I'll get into hotrodding it.

Later!

Ron
his name isn't Jason is it?

A friend up around Seattle has several 442's one of which is a W41 that he told me he'd sell, but never gave me a price on.
Aside from Jason's, I've only seen one or two (Quad)442's ~ and none up close.
I have a '91 Grand Am;

I currently have a long tube header on that car - and have relocated the O2 bung to a more ideal spot, as suggested to me by a guy who used to race Quad4's (who also lives in WA, and got his naturally aspirated car down to 13.1 in the quarter iirc).

I think I spoke a little bit with Paul Hacker on the Quad4 message group, before his untimely passing;
I know a guy who bought up most of Paul's remaining Quad4 racing stuff.
I too have one of those intakes on my car - as well as some other tricks

I totally understand you leaving your Cobalt at Stage2 ~ this keeps it 100% streetable, and headache free...
I actually contemplated buying a Supercharged Cobalt when they initially came out ~ but couldn't justify taking on $30k in debt on a car that only made (GM rated) 25 hp hp in stock trim over my GA in stock trim...
Once I read about the Turbocharged engine, and it's eventual release in the Cobalt - I was hooked.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

A friend up around Seattle has several 442's one of which is a W41 that he told me he'd sell, but never gave me a price on.
I have a '91 Grand Am;

I currently have a long tube header on that car - and have relocated the O2 bung to a more ideal spot, as suggested to me by a guy who used to race Quad4's (who also lives in WA, and got his naturally aspirated car down to 13.1 in the quarter iirc).

I think I spoke a little bit with Paul Hacker on the Quad4 message group, before his untimely passing;

I totally understand you leaving your Cobalt at Stage2 ~ this keeps it 100% streetable, and headache free...
I actually contemplated buying a Supercharged Cobalt when they initially came out ~ but couldn't justify taking on $30k in debt on a car that only made (GM rated) 25 hp hp in stock trim over my GA in stock trim...
Once I read about the Turbocharged engine, and it's eventual release in the Cobalt - I was hooked.
I have a nice article in one of my High Performance Pontiac magazines about a Quad 4 HO grand am that runs 12's on the juice. The Quad 4 HO was a great motor.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM

I have a nice article in one of my High Performance Pontiac magazines about a gutted Quad 4 HO grand am that runs 12's on the juice. The Quad 4 HO was a great motor.
That was a pretty good guy too!

I nearly bought that car after my last GA got wrecked (lady did not one, but three illegal moves, resulting in her t-boning me).

I looked high & low for another Quad4HO Grand Am/Calais;
I ended up flying to Fresno California to pick up my red GA.

Unfortunately that GA was taken a little too far to be put back to where it could be driven on the street.

I have the limited slip differential from that car currently in my GA.

This video is from a little after he started racing it - you can clearly see he still has an interior in it;
1991 Grand Amincar vid on nitrous - YouTube

This video is from when the car was taken to a point where it became no longer streetable;
11 second Grand Am - YouTube
Old 03-26-2012, 03:26 PM

I have a '91 Grand Am;

Nice GA! I like those cars.

Yes, Jason S. He has all of my old Quad 4 cars. And I also found him a 90 Calais International.
Mr. 13.1 would be Larry Dowty. I ported the head on that national record holding car. NHRA trashed the class, or he would have gone 12's. He built his own belt drive for the cams.

I bought my Cobalt SS/SC because I like GM, was a Quad 4 fan, and I had never owned a new car. Other than me blowing up the trans at the drags, it has been pretty trouble free. It went 14.7 @ 98. Stone stock. My Calais were both in the 14.4 range at 97. They are a lot lighter.

I remember that Nitrous guy with the GA. What a hoot! Nitrous flat works. Sometimes you drive over the crank....or stand your car on the bumper.......

BTW....the trans in the 90 442 I sold Jason has a torsen in it. I really wanted to put it in the W41 car, but sold them both. Looking back on it, I really should have kept the W41 car.

Oh well!

I'll drop Jason a line.

Ron
Old 03-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Nice GA! I like those cars.

Yes, Jason S. He has all of my old Quad 4 cars. And I also found him a 90 Calais International.
Mr. 13.1 would be Larry Dowty. I ported the head on that national record holding car. NHRA trashed the class, or he would have gone 12's. He built his own belt drive for the cams.

I bought my Cobalt SS/SC because I like GM, was a Quad 4 fan, and I had never owned a new car. Other than me blowing up the trans at the drags, it has been pretty trouble free. It went 14.7 @ 98. Stone stock. My Calais were both in the 14.4 range at 97. They are a lot lighter.

I remember that Nitrous guy with the GA. What a hoot! Nitrous flat works. Sometimes you drive over the crank....or stand your car on the bumper.......

BTW....the trans in the 90 442 I sold Jason has a torsen in it. I really wanted to put it in the W41 car, but sold them both. Looking back on it, I really should have kept the W41 car.

Oh well!

I'll drop Jason a line.

Ron
Yeah Jason had on of those Torsens grenade on him iirc;
I met up with him last spring - I made a trip to see the 'Flying Heritage Museum'.

I've spoken with Larry a couple times - shot him an email last week actually (haven't yet heard back from him)...

Jason is one of few people I know, in about the same income bracket as myself, who has as many, or more cars than me.
I would have pushed him for a price on the 442/W41 if not for the fact that I have a two car garage, and currently own six cars!

I bought my Cobalt SS/SC because I like GM, was a Quad 4 fan, and I had never owned a new car.
^^This is EXACTLY why I bought.
I too had never bought new;
I too liked the car;
But I also saw the writing on the wall - and still don't think GM is going to make another sport compact like it for the foreseeable future (even the apparent prototypes are only 150hp)...
Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM

An engineer here bought a Volt. I thanked him for saving gas that I need for my Nova and Corvette!
I would rather have the SS/TC, but there wasn't mention of those in 05 that I knew of.
In spite of the arguements here, if you want to go really fast, a turbo is a must.

Later
Old 03-26-2012, 04:53 PM

...I would rather have the SS/TC, but there wasn't mention of those in 05 that I knew of.
In spite of the arguements here, if you want to go really fast, a turbo is a must.

Later
It was first hinted at in the (?)April 2006 issue of High Performance Pontiac;
there was a huge write up on the then forthcoming 2007 Solstice GXP.

When the SS/SC came out - it piqued the interest of ALOT of Quad4HO guys - I don't blame you one bit.

I'm one of only a couple Quad4 owners on this site.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 AM

I have a GMPP mani i wanna sell super cheap

Quick Reply: GMPP Honed Exhaust Manifold