2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

goign to the track help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
goign to the track help

im going to the track thursday and the main race is me(ss/sc)bone stock my friend with a 02 mustang gt and rsx-s(headers,cai,full exhaust,short shifter)

any tips for me to try n beat them
Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 PM

o and the msutang in stock
Old 12-20-2006, 01:26 PM

Yes, I will help you. First I need to know where your going, what track. What is the weather going to be like because this will effect the car. Reply to my post and let me know so I can look into how to set up your car. I'm very good at tweaking stock cars to get the best you can out of them.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:29 PM

florida..... bradenton.... gonnna prolly b around id say high 60 to low 70's
Old 12-20-2006, 01:33 PM

Powershift, and launch low around 2 grand.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:35 PM

yea i try but now i donnt if its my ecu thats acting up or cuz my tires are getting bald (which really would make no sense) but when i launch and i shift to 2nd it will not chirp it any more and the gear stay high 5 6 rpm then drops to 4 and rises like its not gripping... clutch it fine
Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by SSalexSS
yea i try but now i donnt if its my ecu thats acting up or cuz my tires are getting bald (which really would make no sense) but when i launch and i shift to 2nd it will not chirp it any more and the gear stay high 5 6 rpm then drops to 4 and rises like its not gripping... clutch it fine
Not sure what is going on with that, sounds like clutch is slipping. Anyways, this is what I would set up:

First jack up your car and check all 4 tires out. Put the best tires up front for best traction. Take out your spare tire, and jack out of the trunk. Remove all un needed weight, believe it or not a few pounds can make a differance. Remove all books, papers, tools from glove box and car. Lower your front tire pressure to 22 pounds. Adjust with each run. For example, if you feel alot of wheel hop add a little more psi to front tires. Keep the back tires around 28-32psi. When you launch from the line, if your car shakes hard get of the gas slightly and once it stops get back on the gas to the floor. I would launch about 1.5k, 2k can be a little much depending on the track. Let your car cool down, pop the hood so the heat can escape, remember heat rises. Before each run have your hood poped and open fully. Do your best to calculate how much fuel it will take to drive to the track. If it takes about 2-3 gallons to get there, make sure you have about 4-5 gallons of high test 93 octane. I have gotton best effects with my fuel light on 94 octane, gas is not light weight, the less you have in the better. Just don't run out Make sure when you leave you add the proper tire pressure back into the tires. When you launch do not go full throttle, this will hurt your first 60 foot time. The better 60 foot time the better 1/4th time. Start off easy, slowly letting the clutch up. Once you feel the car grabbing and getting good traction, now its time to go full throttle. Good luck, don't be afraid to try differant things.

Edit Post: Kick that Slow Stang's A$$, and show that Acura RSX-s whats up. Should be a good race and a good time.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:06 PM

^^^ That is some great advice, and pretty much right on the money. Since you have nothing to combat wheel hop, if she starts jumping at all let off completely. Snapped axles at the track sucks big time. Trust me on that one! Good luck.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
Not sure what is going on with that, sounds like clutch is slipping. Anyways, this is what I would set up:

First jack up your car and check all 4 tires out. Put the best tires up front for best traction. Take out your spare tire, and jack out of the trunk. Remove all un needed weight, believe it or not a few pounds can make a differance. Remove all books, papers, tools from glove box and car. Lower your front tire pressure to 22 pounds. Adjust with each run. For example, if you feel alot of wheel hop add a little more psi to front tires. Keep the back tires around 28-32psi. When you launch from the line, if your car shakes hard get of the gas slightly and once it stops get back on the gas to the floor. I would launch about 1.5k, 2k can be a little much depending on the track. Let your car cool down, pop the hood so the heat can escape, remember heat rises. Before each run have your hood poped and open fully. Do your best to calculate how much fuel it will take to drive to the track. If it takes about 2-3 gallons to get there, make sure you have about 4-5 gallons of high test 93 octane. I have gotton best effects with my fuel light on 94 octane, gas is not light weight, the less you have in the better. Just don't run out Make sure when you leave you add the proper tire pressure back into the tires. When you launch do not go full throttle, this will hurt your first 60 foot time. The better 60 foot time the better 1/4th time. Start off easy, slowly letting the clutch up. Once you feel the car grabbing and getting good traction, now its time to go full throttle. Good luck, don't be afraid to try differant things.

Edit Post: Kick that Slow Stang's A$$, and show that Acura RSX-s whats up. Should be a good race and a good time.

^^^^ best advice i've have yet to see on these forums about racing...awesome post rally
Old 12-20-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 07cobaltss
^^^^ best advice i've have yet to see on these forums about racing...awesome post rally
Well thanks alot, I started out not knowing anything about the track. However, after a few times I learned alot of lessons. By my third time to the track, I managed to grab the second best stock time on the site. Thats something to be proud of, I also think are cobalts are very under rated and like I said before, they will get the respect all in due time. It would not surprise me to see a cobalt ss/sc stock hit a 14 flat a @ 101 mph. Not very easy to do with a front wheel drive car, but practice makes perfect. All about that launch and 60" time. My freind has a Corvette, maybe you hard of him, its very popular, maybe even famous. I learned alot from those guys and that chevy racing team. Jenson's 7 second street legal Corvette.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:24 PM

dam man nice really helpfull i appreciate it
the clutch is new so its completly fine tho
Old 12-20-2006, 03:51 PM

Someone mentioned about power shifting, this does help your rpms stay in the power ban longer and allows less time btween shifts. I would recommend this to experianed drivers only because things can break much easier while power shifting. I did not power shift to hit a 14.2 @ 100mph stock 1/4th. Just some more advice. Like I said before, don't be afrid to try new things, you never know what the results could be. Use common sense, and do things that would make sense for faster times safely.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:16 PM

you can't say that the clutch is fine. You are glazing the clutch if it is new and driving it hard. You need to drive lightly at least 1k miles after you install a clutch, or you could just start saving up for a new one now. If the rpms aren't coming down after shifting= clutch not holding. This will glaze the clutch and make it worthless.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:40 PM

If your stock clutch is slipping shift at 3k, it'll fix it. Unless you're modded and making too much power for the stock clutch.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:49 PM

So how did your track times work out for you? Did you end up going?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:58 AM

i would like to hear the results too.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
Powershift, and launch low around 2 grand.
do not powershift...
Old 12-31-2006, 01:04 AM

Well thanks alot, I started out not knowing anything about the track. However, after a few times I learned alot of lessons. By my third time to the track, I managed to grab the second best stock time on the site. Thats something to be proud of, I also think are cobalts are very under rated and like I said before, they will get the respect all in due time. It would not surprise me to see a cobalt ss/sc stock hit a 14 flat a @ 101 mph. Not very easy to do with a front wheel drive car, but practice makes perfect. All about that launch and 60" time. My freind has a Corvette, maybe you hard of him, its very popular, maybe even famous. I learned alot from those guys and that chevy racing team. Jenson's 7 second street legal Corvette.
what was the 1000 foot time on your best stock pass
Old 12-31-2006, 01:06 AM

Someone mentioned about power shifting, this does help your rpms stay in the power ban longer and allows less time btween shifts. I would recommend this to experianed drivers only because things can break much easier while power shifting. I did not power shift to hit a 14.2 @ 100mph stock 1/4th. Just some more advice. Like I said before, don't be afrid to try new things, you never know what the results could be. Use common sense, and do things that would make sense for faster times safely.
i tried out the powershifting thing in mine, as im sure you have, and saw no gains from it.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
i tried out the powershifting thing in mine, as im sure you have, and saw no gains from it.
I will check my slips quick. Give me a few mins to grab and look through them all. I have about 30 passes on my stock car. None with my mods yet =(. I agree 100%, power shift is not safe for the gains. You may see about a .05 of a differance. Then again I can't really say cuz I have not tested it at the track and won't be able to compare with stock times cuz I'm not stock anymore.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:56 AM

Here you go, my couple best. I'll post 60", 1k, 1/4th, and mph.

2.282 - 12.020 - 14.266 - 100.02
2.238 - 11.979 - 14.241 - 100.06

Those are from my two best stock time slips. Hope that helps you out.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:57 AM

im going to the track thursday and the main race is me(ss/sc)bone stock my friend with a 02 mustang gt and rsx-s(headers,cai,full exhaust,short shifter)

any tips for me to try n beat them

So what were the results?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:58 AM

you actually want to RAISE the back tires pressure higher than the normal pressure by about 4-5lbs or so. and DO NOT POWERSHIFT, it gets you nowhere but online ordering a new clutch....
Old 12-31-2006, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by chipmonk212121
you actually want to RAISE the back tires pressure higher than the normal pressure by about 4-5lbs or so. and DO NOT POWERSHIFT, it gets you nowhere but online ordering a new clutch....
I'm not calling you out or trying to disrespect you but adding more then the max psi to the back tires did not improve my stock times. Not sure if it helped you but I ran best with running exactly the max. Think I ran 24 psi up front and about 34 in back. *shrug* whatever works for you though.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:07 AM

Here you go, my couple best. I'll post 60", 1k, 1/4th, and mph.

2.282 - 12.020 - 14.266 - 100.02
2.238 - 11.979 - 14.241 - 100.06

Those are from my two best stock time slips. Hope that helps you out.
yesssss............. my stock PB 11.85 hatrickstu for the #2? no quarter times though...

Quick Reply: goign to the track help