2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Good setup? y/n

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good setup? y/n

-INJEN Cold Air Intake SS 2.0L
Item # CA-ICAI20 Color Choice: BLACK

-SPEC Aluminum Flywheel
Item # CA-SPECAF $394.99 USD

-SPEC STAGE 3 CLUTCH
Item # CA-SPEC3 $554.99 USD

-ZZP BILLET Engine Mount
Item # CA-ZZPBEM

-ZZP LSJ POLY Trans Mounts
Item # CA-ZZPPTM

-INGALLS STIFFY Engine Damper
Item # CA-INGA

-XTC DOwnPIPE w/o cat 3.0
Item # CA-DP30

-CA DUAL PASS INTERCOOLER PLATE KIT
Item # CA-DPINT

-CA STAGE 5
Item # CA-CAstg5
(Stage #5: 2.6 ZZP Interchangeable Pulley system , 2 step colder ngk IRIDIUM spark plugs , GM shortened belt , ZZP Adjustable Tensioner , 60# Siemens Injectors , Injector Wiring Harness, CA Methenol Kit , CA Heat Exchanger Kit, Stage #5 Retune ... Est. 85 Hp / TQ over stock - 20psi boost - Much cooler temps and greater timing retard)

+ HAHN Exhaust Manifold + HAHN 3" Catback.

This is my semi-edited list, if anybody had read my last list; Let me know what I should/shouldn't change.

Items don't have to be purchased from CA...those were just the specific ones I was looking for.

This is approx. around the limits of how much extra $ I have to spend atm, so don't bother suggesting things like cams/pistons. (I am well aware that those would be the next steps...) (Eventually I'll look into them, but this is just the first stage!)
Old 05-12-2007, 03:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry but...

Your sig looks like a kindergardener drew it up lol

Anyways...

What are you aiming for power wise?
Old 05-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's good I guess. If you want to do what everyone else is doing. You will most likely have a pretty good variety of people who have similar setups. I suggest adding a wide band and a scan gauge of some sort to your list.

Personally I would use a 2.7 and port the charger. It will probably give you the same power as the 2.6. And instead of a box tune, I recommend a dyno tune.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:42 AM

make sure to throw a street tune in there
Old 05-12-2007, 12:27 PM

Just to save you some money:

No ingalls damper with the mounts, it's pointless as they are more solid than the ingalls.

I agree with ^; I would go with a 2.7 and port the blower.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:10 PM

I'd stay away from the 2.6 pulley and you need a custom tune. Canned tunes are trouble.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:49 PM

Aye, canned tunes are trouble. I will try and hit up somebody with HPtuners ASAP.

That is just my purchase list...

I cannot ORDER an HPtuners tune

My goal is to hit 300ish whp with those + a couple other mods down the road. Possibly some SC porting. But that's not the route I want to go yet.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:08 AM

good luck hitting 300hp on stock internals.......... piston number 4 will LOVE you!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by saunders1986
good luck hitting 300hp on stock internals.......... piston number 4 will LOVE you!!!
LMFAO My thoughts exactly lol
Old 05-13-2007, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Sorry but...

Your sig looks like a kindergardener drew it up lol

That was the point
Old 05-13-2007, 12:23 AM

Well then, maybe not 300! Badabing badaboom!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by saunders1986
Piston #4 has nothing to do with how much power someone is creating but an assortment of other variables that are causing this.

Originally Posted by Watcher
That was the point
Oh ok...wasn't sure.

Last edited by NJHK; 05-13-2007 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-13-2007, 12:27 AM

My overall goal is 300ish, not saying that's what I want to hit with those mods listed..

I'll hit whatever I hit with those ones :/

300ish is my end-goal..whatever I need to do that, whether it be cams/pistons...Those will come at a later date! :O
Old 05-13-2007, 12:38 AM

My overall goal is 300ish, not saying that's what I want to hit with those mods listed..

I'll hit whatever I hit with those ones :/

300ish is my end-goal..whatever I need to do that, whether it be cams/pistons...Those will come at a later date! :O
Honestly, it doesn't sound like you know what you're trying to get yourself into. You say camshafts but mention no company or type of profile you want. You mention pistons and don't mention anything about compression ratio you're aiming for. You make this huge parts list and say "whatever you can get from it" which is the absolute worst way to attempt to make more power.

Do you understand anything about air efficiency? Do you understand what they're issue is with the fuel system and oversizing fuel injectors? Do you understand what type of heat issues you will encounter when you start going pass the M62s supercharger efficiency range? Do you understand how much of a lack of airflow the M62 produces even with overspinning it?

What monitoring devices are you going to purchase?

I could literally go on.

The problem and pet peeve I have is when people who are evidentally new to a engine platform and say a list of parts they are going to buy and honestly don't know how much of a effect this will have positive or negative on their engine. I can honestly tell you went to a couple of websites and copy and pasted into this thread the parts that sounded cool to have or because of their advertised "power gains".

I am not at all trying to be rude but I'm just saying please research before you go in any direction. Make a plan, not a parts list.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:41 AM

Enough with the piston # 4 **** gezz, one person blows a ringlanding on # 4 and everyone crys wolf. Its logic, it runs the most lean, furthest away from coolant, runs the hotest come on people, just buy new pistons.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:52 AM

NJHK you are 100% correct. Watcher you are looking art this as like o if i get this then this will be the gains you have to be more in depth with everything and understand that the engine operates as a whole and needs different things to be working how they are supposed to be working in order for everything to be right. Not trying to disrespect you but i was in your mindset once and boy i am glad that I am not any more.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by pimpnwink
NJHK you are 100% correct. Watcher you are looking art this as like o if i get this then this will be the gains you have to be more in depth with everything and understand that the engine operates as a whole and needs different things to be working how they are supposed to be working in order for everything to be right. Not trying to disrespect you but i was in your mindset once and boy i am glad that I am not any more.
Thank you.

And yes, I've been there too...you just get dissapointed and waste money.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:07 AM

I am not looking at it saying I'll get gains from x, this, and x, that.

I do understand how engines work, possibly not the exact supercharger and it's limitations, but that's why I made the post and asked the questions.

The amount of heat I'd be generating in the supercharger would hopefully be somewhat countered by the other items on the list.

I don't see how you understood my "general 300ish whp" post, as "well, I want xxxHP from item 1 + xxxHP from item 2." I never said that. Nor was that my intention.

Intake = slightly colder/better flowing air into the engine.
Meth kit = cooler
HE = same
DP = same

Flywheel + clutch for added transmission durability. Due to the extra power being put through.

I have my reasons for the items that I chose.

I have put thought into it, and moneywise, at this moment; That's what I can do for mods. If I should go with a slightly bigger pulley, and wait to do some porting to the SC, I can do that.

I am "new" to modding this platform. But I'm not stupid.

I do understand that each action has a reaction. And created my list around that.

AKA, smaller pulley = higher SC temps that need to be countered
Bigger injectors = needs some form of fuel management to deal with the added amount of boost/control so that you don't run lean.
More power to your wheels = needing things like clutch/axels/mounts.
Blah blah, so on and so forth

It's just the way cars work, and I do understand this.

This was the point of my post. To inquire as to the feasability of the items I am planning to purchase. Or if I should change anything/why I should change it.

Not posting a list to add up my ricermath

Header + exhaust + intake + pulley = 300 HPs, WOOT
Sorry, but no.

No offense was taken, I'm just explaining myself, as you obviously 100% misunderstood the point of this post. (and I really don't mean that as rudely as it sounds)

Last edited by Watcher; 05-13-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:29 AM

Stick around on the forums and you will see guys who have everything you have listed and more and they are still NOT breaking 300 whp and they are not reliable or have already seen motor issues or supercharger bearing issues.

The point is, if you're looking for a reliable 300 whp, take off the supercharger. The M62 was NOT designed to reach what you're aiming for.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:53 AM

That's fine. All I was TRYING to say with my "300 whp" statement, is that it was my end-goal. Not my goal with those mods. If that means porting the SC/replacing it. That's what it will take. And it will happen down the road.

The 300 whp goal is not what I was intending to express as my current WANT for that setup.

I'm just wanting to know, that with that listed setup, is there anything missing or anything I would need to switch-out make it a feasable/semi-reliable setup.

So far, I've got; Raise the pulley size up to 2.7/Drop the torque damper as it's not needed/possibly some SC work?

Are these SC's easy to pull apart and port/polish up?

I've done it to intake manifolds/exhaust manifolds, the process isn't too hard.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:39 AM

That's fine. All I was TRYING to say with my "300 whp" statement, is that it was my end-goal. Not my goal with those mods. If that means porting the SC/replacing it. That's what it will take. And it will happen down the road.

The 300 whp goal is not what I was intending to express as my current WANT for that setup.

I'm just wanting to know, that with that listed setup, is there anything missing or anything I would need to switch-out make it a feasable/semi-reliable setup.

So far, I've got; Raise the pulley size up to 2.7/Drop the torque damper as it's not needed/possibly some SC work?

Are these SC's easy to pull apart and port/polish up?

I've done it to intake manifolds/exhaust manifolds, the process isn't too hard.
Well what's the point of spending money on parts that won't help you get to your goal?

Nevermind. Do whatever you want.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Well what's the point of spending money on parts that won't help you get to your goal?

Nevermind. Do whatever you want.
Sadly Adam you are just wasting your time here, it looks like this guy will listen to someone like shortbus who said ignorant stuff like this "Enough with the piston # 4 **** gezz, one person blows a ringlanding on # 4 and everyone crys wolf. Its logic, it runs the most lean, furthest away from coolant, runs the hotest come on people, just buy new pistons. " Instead of listening to someone like you who actually knows what they are talking about and knows some theory behind engine building.

Honestly I think the 2.0 section is a waste of some really intelligent peoples time and effort these days.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:26 AM

I am not looking at it saying I'll get gains from x, this, and x, that.

I do understand how engines work, possibly not the exact supercharger and it's limitations, but that's why I made the post and asked the questions.

The amount of heat I'd be generating in the supercharger would hopefully be somewhat countered by the other items on the list.

I don't see how you understood my "general 300ish whp" post, as "well, I want xxxHP from item 1 + xxxHP from item 2." I never said that. Nor was that my intention.

Meth kit = cooler
HE = same
DP = same

Flywheel + clutch for added transmission durability. Due to the extra power being put through.

I have my reasons for the items that I chose.

I have put thought into it, and moneywise, at this moment; That's what I can do for mods. If I should go with a slightly bigger pulley, and wait to do some porting to the SC, I can do that.

I do understand that each action has a reaction. And created my list around that.

AKA, smaller pulley = higher SC temps that need to be countered
Bigger injectors = needs some form of fuel management to deal with the added amount of boost/control so that you don't run lean.
More power to your wheels = needing things like clutch/axels/mounts.
Blah blah, so on and so forth

It's just the way cars work, and I do understand this.

This was the point of my post. To inquire as to the feasability of the items I am planning to purchase. Or if I should change anything/why I should change it.

Not posting a list to add up my ricermath

Header + exhaust + intake + pulley = 300 HPs, WOOT
Sorry, but no.

No offense was taken, I'm just explaining myself, as you obviously 100% misunderstood the point of this post. (and I really don't mean that as rudely as it sounds)
I looks good to me...you covered all the basics for increasing general performance.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by IMADreamer
Sadly Adam you are just wasting your time here, it looks like this guy will listen to someone like shortbus who said ignorant stuff like this "Enough with the piston # 4 **** gezz, one person blows a ringlanding on # 4 and everyone crys wolf. Its logic, it runs the most lean, furthest away from coolant, runs the hotest come on people, just buy new pistons. " Instead of listening to someone like you who actually knows what they are talking about and knows some theory behind engine building.

Honestly I think the 2.0 section is a waste of some really intelligent peoples time and effort these days.
Basically.

I <3 You.

Just because I am slightly irritated and don't want other people to browse around reading this and think that what he is doing is a good way to go...

Which is why I posted what I posted.

Your ultimate goal and what you're attempting to do isn't going to help you reach it and you will be shortening the lifespan of your supercharger.

CA STAGE 5
Item # CA-CAstg5
(Stage #5: 2.6 ZZP Interchangeable Pulley system , 2 step colder ngk IRIDIUM spark plugs , GM shortened belt , ZZP Adjustable Tensioner , 60# Siemens Injectors , Injector Wiring Harness, CA Methenol Kit , CA Heat Exchanger Kit, Stage #5 Retune ... Est. 85 Hp / TQ over stock - 20psi boost - Much cooler temps and greater timing retard)

You'll how power improvements BUT you won't be getting to your goal that you say you're trying to aim for. It has been seen time and time again.

I hate that companies make such kits like this because it's basically promoting to not care about the efficiency of your compressor (or in this case air stacker) and to buy everything in the market to counter-act it. Even with all these parts, you are still playing with fire.

Wasn't inferring you were but since you want to put it that way...

You wrote...

Meth kit = cooler
HE = same
DP = same

1. Half right. You COULD get cooler air depending on the source of the air but this isn't air that is directly getting into your engine, it's still going to your supercharger which will still compress it and still heat it up. Also, intakes are ONLY a power adder if they are restrictive. Your stock unit...well...isn't.

2. If you're seriously going to run a Meth Injection for everyday driving just to keep things cool, than that should tell you that there is something wrong.

3. How does a downpipe (it's not a damn downpipe anyways...it's called a b-pipe) "cool" things?

The point of modifying is to do things reliably. The route of what you're trying to go into will lead you into the downfall of what a bunch of car owners here who have had nothing but issues with a car that they haven't even owned for 2 years.

So take it for what it's worth. Don't lead down their path if you want to go anywhere with your car. Your M62 supercharger is a nice little unit but it is not designed for what most people think it is for. Don't believe the hype.

That is all.

Last edited by NJHK; 05-13-2007 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-13-2007, 03:08 PM

If DP were "down-pipe" Then you might have a point; But it's not.

Downpipes; or "b-pipes" Obviously have absolutely nothing to do with cooling the air coming into your engine.

And as I've stated about 500 times. 300 WHP is NOT WHAT I AM PLANNING ON GETTING WITH THAT SETUP.

It's what I want to get eventually...Yeah, sure. If that means replacing a supercharger/porting it out/internals..THEN FINE. Wonderful.

You seem to not understand the fact that I am not trying to build a 300 whp car with that list.

I am trying to get what I can, as reliably as I can, with the amount of $ I have to spare at this moment; while covering all/most aspects of reliability.
Stop implying I'm trying to build some form of a 300whp racecardailydriver.

AGAIN; this was the point of my post, not to say "Will these mods help me reliably get to 300 whp?" That was NEVER the question, stop implying that it is.

My end-goal has nothing to do with how I want to modify my car within the next couple years. I'll work with what I have right now, and build/change as I go.

I would also not run the meth at all times. What's the point if you are driving your car like a normal person? (not boosting to your max psi on every shift, and creating the unnecessary heat to begin with)

I am not building up to a 300 WHP setup at this moment, because it's not what I want. Plain and simple. Why would I attempt to build a 300whp, setup, or build towards it, when it's not what I want for my car atm?

I want to mod my car; and make it as reliable as possible within my current means. I'm not trying to build a racecar here...and that's what you can't seem to get over.

Just forget about my 300whp goal...because that seems to be stuck in your mind much more than it should be. It was more of a "dream" than something I am really building towards at this very moment.

JKennedy has the idea of my post, I'm trying to cover the basics for increasing general performance while keeping reliability. Not find out why my supercharger can't reach 300whp.
It's fine that it can't, or won't reliably. When it comes to the next step of modding, I might need to change some things. But that's 100% beside the point.

Last edited by Watcher; 05-13-2007 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Good setup? y/n