2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

how does zzp longutbe catted sound with stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
how does zzp longutbe catted sound with stock exhaust?

finally found out!

mods: ottp stg 2 (2.8", 60#'s, 7200 redline)
zzp longtube header/catted dp combo
stock catback
injen intake
other stuff that doesn't rly pertain to the vid
not tuned yet for the setup

ok everybody, at long last i got a chance on lunchbreak to take a good couple videos of this setup. at the moment i'm still afraid theres a teeny tiny leak SOMEWHERE but idk... i can hear it hissing under boost. this may well be the culprit of any 'rasp' you will hear in these videos, but i'm not so sure.

extra disclaimer: the code on my dash is a p0420, and no i haven't been tuned for this setup yet so the gains should get better, idk if i'm running rich or lean yet...

anywho, once you let the exhaust warm up for 5 minutes, the rasp is basically gone and the car sounds amazing! almost like stock, just with a little more noise and tone. the gains are feelable, as well. i feel the most gain in the high rpms, when its cool out now my car feels like it wants to break the tires loose and generally that's just not the case.

install wise, it is a PITA, of course. i had to remove my strut tower brace to fit it in from the top, but once the headers on the DP is a sinch to clamp on with le` provided v-band clamp.

so, enjoy the vids! a few vids have the windows down, a few up. one vid the camera's outside the car and in one i do a 0-100ish pull! problem, officer?

windows down, skip to :14 if you just wanna see the action, regular 1st gear, then get on it a bit in 2nd up to 40mph.

Quick acceleration in cobalt ss supercharged - YouTube

this one i drive mostly regular up to 50, then stop, then go through 1st, then mash 2nd and 3rd for a bit. windows down till the end i think

P6180234 - YouTube

outside the car! to give you a good idea of how it sounds from the outside, i start it, then drive back and forth a few times

P6180235 - YouTube

aaand the 0-100 pull skip ahead a lil bit, i'm jus cruisin through traffic a bit at first but about half way through till the end i do a pretty good 0-100 pull with the windows up

P6180236 - YouTube

Last edited by riceburner; 06-19-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
just buy his longtube thats a good price and it only has 500 miles

imo performance over sound

his setup is catted to it shouldn't be too bad
Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

i'm buying it lol i just wanna know for sure. i had badmab header, zzp catted dp and corsa touring exhaust and it sounded SOOO shitty but when i went back to stock cat it had no rasp.

now i'm gonna run this with a stock exhaust. dont want it to be too loud anymore
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by riceburner
i'm buying it lol i just wanna know for sure. i had badmab header, zzp catted dp and corsa touring exhaust and it sounded SOOO shitty but when i went back to stock cat it had no rasp.

now i'm gonna run this with a stock exhaust. dont want it to be too loud anymore
Dang, dude that really sucks because my setup is badmab zzp downpipe to a corsa sport. Header/downpipe arent here yet, but I hope it doesnt sount shitty lol
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

yea... idk man haha... is it catted?

could have just been my specific setup/install but yea... idk. it DID start to sound better a while after i had it though.. not sure why

oh and i've heard incorporating another resonator helps

Last edited by riceburner; 04-18-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is catted. I didn't know the header/downpipe made that much of a sound difference
Old 04-18-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the stock catback on my 3" ZZP longtubes headers with hi-flow cat and its not loud. Sounds like stock to be honest
Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am running a ZZP LT cat'd to stock cat-back. It sounds good. Very slightly more aggressive then stock but not loud at all.

I am replacing the cat-back very soon (maybe this weekend) and I will have before and after vids.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

thats really good to hear guys. and yea 07lsj at least the header doesn't make a difference i couldn't tell when all i had was a badmab anyway.

anyone do this and then get a tc muffler??
Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM

TC muffler on LSJ is total fail. I have had one in the past. It sounds like ass. No joke.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

bump! gotta hear it to believe it!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 AM

Did you ever check for exhaust leaks? Mine sounds like garbage right now on the same setup, but its because somehow the weld on the resonator cracked. So I have to get a hold of Corsa to utilize that lifetime warranty

I'm pretty sure it was Staged07SS that also had this setup and he said he had ZERO rasp....which I believe because once my setup heats up and the resonator expands a little bit, closing up that crack just a tad....it sounds a whole HELLUVA lot better

I wouldn't ditch the Corsa, its probably not your problem.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdam8139
Did you ever check for exhaust leaks? Mine sounds like garbage right now on the same setup, but its because somehow the weld on the resonator cracked. So I have to get a hold of Corsa to utilize that lifetime warranty

I'm pretty sure it was Staged07SS that also had this setup and he said he had ZERO rasp....which I believe because once my setup heats up and the resonator expands a little bit, closing up that crack just a tad....it sounds a whole HELLUVA lot better

I wouldn't ditch the Corsa, its probably not your problem.
Yep, well I did have the same setup, and it sounded great.

I now run a ported gmpp manifold, 2.5" mufexpress downpipe, and corsa touring catback. Sounds even better now.

I also had a weld fail on my Corsa resonator. I contacted Corsa and they sent me a new one with updated welds no questions asked. It's great to have a warranty
Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

hmm well yea my corsa wound up leaking a LITTLE bit but in the end idk i think it was actually because my badmab header leaked that made it sound bad. just tightened up the corsa and it was good to go. and yea once it all heats up any residual leaks go away haha

right now i'm back on all stock exhaust and i think i re-fell in love with my car. all yo u can hear is the blower wine!! sounds so sick!!

thats why now i'm wondering how loud this longtube will make it sound
Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 AM

The ZZP LT is made out of higher quality material then then that ebay header. It is much closer to an equal length and it has a firing order matched collector. Meaning the exhaust pulses from each primary hit the collector one at a time in a circular motion.

That designs reduces back pressure and promote savaging.

The header sound does not drown out the SC whine.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ebristol
The ZZP LT is made out of higher quality material then then that ebay header. It is much closer to an equal length and it has a firing order matched collector. Meaning the exhaust pulses from each primary hit the collector one at a time in a circular motion.

That designs reduces back pressure and promote savaging.

The header sound does not drown out the SC whine.
^This was one of my main pet peves with the Badmab header (the firing order).
Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

hmm interesting! great info guys! so if i got tvs, minus the kink before the stock muffler i think i can get away with that setup? just enough flow to get going, like i know the more flow the merrier but i can get going like that?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

hmm interesting! great info guys! so if i got tvs, minus the kink before the stock muffler i think i can get away with that setup? just enough flow to get going, like i know the more flow the merrier but i can get going like that?
The neck down portion after the rear axle is less of a restriction than the 2 1/16" inlet to the stock resonator....
Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 AM

does the firing order on the bad-mab hurt performance any? also looking to buy one one if anyone has one for sale lol
Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's what I'm running on my car. The sound was noticably diffrent first time we fired it up after installing it. I wouldn't say raspy though. I think it sounds alright. I dont even notice the diffrent sound anymore now that I've gotten used to it.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

good to hear, so noone has any vids? XD
Old 04-20-2012, 01:08 PM

If your gonna get TVS ur gonna need more then stock exhaust. IMO you worry far to much about the sound over the performance of the car. With all the money you have spent trying to have an exhaust "sound good" you could have already had a used TVS haha
Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 PM

good to hear, so noone has any vids? XD
If you wanna wait, I'm putting my LT headers on this weekend with the stock exhaust so I can get a video of it afterwards. it would probably be on Monday I would post it up.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
^This was one of my main pet peves with the Badmab header (the firing order).
That was the main reason I went with the ZZP over the OTTP header. ZZP is matched and OTTP is not. The collector on the OTTP header is further from the engine which would make it "longer" then the ZZP. But who really knows where the optimal location for the collector is?

Either way, when you pay a lot of money for something you want it to be right.

Originally Posted by trey ss
does the firing order on the bad-mab hurt performance any? also looking to buy one one if anyone has one for sale lol
Anything is better then stock. Cobalt Addiction used to make a shorty header which was properly matched to the firing order. But I think it was only for the 2.2/2.4.

The collector on the bad-mab is huge so there is plenty of room for all the pulses. But I don't like how huge the outlet to the DP is. It should be matched to mate to a 3" DP but it is much bigger. The lip that gets created by the connection between the header and DP will cause back pressure and turbulance. Exhaust gases travel on the outside of tubes...

Hahn took the time and did their shorty header right.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 PM

My OTTP LT on stock catback was still quite audible(not too loud) and had a lot of rasp compared to the stock manifold and DP.

Quick Reply: how does zzp longutbe catted sound with stock exhaust?