2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

How well do they age?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How well do they age?

Hey all, been a loooong time since I've posted here. I bought a brand new SS in 07, had a blast modding it, then sold it in 09 when I decided to go back to college to finish a degree. Now here I am, almost a decade later, looking for a car to commute to and from work in and remembering how much I loved this platform. I'm wondering how well these cars have aged. I realize, as with any car, it depends on how they've been treated, but is there anything in particular that's a problem with these when they get up there in miles? Timing chains, superchargers, transmissions? Specific rust areas I should look for? Things to check? Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 01-30-2018, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=MTchevy1;7675692]Hey all, been a loooong time since I've posted here. I bought a brand new SS in 07, had a blast modding it, then sold it in 09 when I decided to go back to college to finish a degree. Now here I am, almost a decade later, looking for a car to commute to and from work in and remembering how much I loved this platform. I'm wondering how well these cars have aged. I realize, as with any car, it depends on how they've been treated, but is there anything in particular that's a problem with these when they get up there in miles? Timing chains, superchargers, transmissions? Specific rust areas I should look for? Things to check? Any help would be much appreciated![/QUOTE

The fuel line rusts underneath the heat wrap that goes over the muffler and starts leaking, the flex part of the down pipe usually cracks or breaks, those are things I had to address on mine that were "major" both repairs didn't cost much, repairing the fuel lines didn't cost me anything since I had the materials and tools.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
The biggest issue is finding one that hasn't been beat to death at this point. Lsj cars don't have the trans issues the turbo cars have but the turbo cars actually get really good mileage. Timing chain tensioners are prone to failure along with guides cracking. Honestly lsj cars can be very reliable and low maintenance as long as they haven't been beat.
Turbo cars can be prone to trans failure as most are tuned and develop large amounts of torque. They have the same fuel line rust issue, and require the intake valves to be cleaned for best performance due to coking caused from direct injection. With just a downpipe, drop in air filter and tune they are capable of 320whp reliably. Late build date 08's had some issues with porous blocks. I have an 09 and it's a good car and parts are cheap. On 93 with a 25psi tune I can get 33-35 mpg on the highway and run high 12's at the strip. They handle better than a lsj also.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:03 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
compared to other cars out there the cobalts age fairly well if they have been looked after. i bought my car 05 ss/sc in 07 and still have it. its got 230k km on it now, its been modded since before i bought it, and been making at least 250 hp ever since, and i do use it. only real issues ive had with the car is a failed starter, a pair of axles (caused by the car being way too low when i bought it), a fuel pump, and a couple years back the firewall cracked around the clutch master cylinder and it punched it through causing me a big headache. that will only happen on cars with an aftermarket clutch, im only running a GMPP clutch kit though. aside from that i just keep up on my services and its just been wear items.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks guys.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
I bought mine new, modded it, drove it hard the whole time - sold it i think 4 years ago or so and new owner is still driving it no major issues aside from frozen caliper that i know of to this day
Old 02-02-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased my 2007 SS/SC new. It has 176k on the odometer. I just has the SC rebuilt by Steigmeirer. I also put in new injectors, throttle body, belt tensioner, belt, SCIP Sensor, new Injen CAI with new MAF. I also installed Drive Shaft Shoop axles and installed new Eibach Pro Kit. Runs like new. I am running GM Stage 3. I'm contemplating keeping the car, repower it and keep it until my departure from this earth. They don't decimate all but the LSJ is so much fun to drive as my daily.

This is really the largest expense in many years. Everything has been normal wear and tear items.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowfaxss
I purchased my 2007 SS/SC new. It has 176k on the odometer. I just has the SC rebuilt by Steigmeirer. I also put in new injectors, throttle body, belt tensioner, belt, SCIP Sensor, new Injen CAI with new MAF. I also installed Drive Shaft Shoop axles and installed new Eibach Pro Kit. Runs like new. I am running GM Stage 3. I'm contemplating keeping the car, repower it and keep it until my departure from this earth. They don't decimate all but the LSJ is so much fun to drive as my daily.

This is really the largest expense in many years. Everything has been normal wear and tear items.
Nice to see someone stuck with it. Plus parts really aren't too bad. Price an exhaust for a newer vette!
I may never get rid of mine because I've taken good care of it. But I've only had it 6 yrs, and it's an 09.