2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

IC pump brought back to life!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IC pump brought back to life!!!

Ok before anyone says stop being cheap and go spend $125 on a new pump, been there got two of'em sitting in my garage from back in the day they crapped out to! So the almost 2 year old pump on my car started to act up few months ago and I was like not this crap again. So I took a old pump that I had that was one of those smack it with a rubber mallet to get it to work everytime I drive to just hit a pot hole and it just go back out on me again, you know what I talking bot its the same ol sh*t all have to go thru. Ok here we go! 1st took old pump hooked it up to 12volt battery had lying around, pump would not come on duh, banged it with rubber hammer, came on but only like a half hearted type speed none the less it was running. 2nd took the impeller houseing off. This is in 2 peices to keep fluide out of the magnetic drive area, still its very simple almost anyone can take this apart and put back together. 3rd with the impeller stuff out of the way you will see a cup shaped magnet thats on the end of the motor shaft. It will be extremely dirty! what you dont see is under that magnet are vent holes for the motor it self, I assume to help get rid of built up heat. 4th I bought a can of electric motor spray cleaner from autozon, it will have pic of a starter and alternator on the front and is in a red can kinda like brake clean. Spray the magnetic cup clean, then hold pump uprite and fill the eniter bowl area around the magnet up with cleaner for it seeps down through the vent holes. Shake it then pour it out. It will have black fluid comeing out, very nasty! Use the entire can for by the end of the can the fluid will be close to clear again after dumping. Let it dry for 10 to 15 mins. put pump impeller back together the same way you took it off. Put all the screws back on the impeller houseing. Do not over tighten these just snugem up. I then powered this old crap pump up and wasnt expecting it to kick on any diff than it did before, wham it spun rite off my bench lol. Long story short this pump that was old and not workn up to par has now been on my car for a few months and has been just like new. Kicks on and doesnt kick off or have a reduced speed! I have since cleaned the other pump and tested it witht the same results. So if the one on car starts to act dumb Ill just continue to swap them out. This took me a 1hr top's. I also suggest replacing the factory style hose clamps with a traditional style set that you can either use a flat head or socket to remove for the stock ones make things so much harder than what they need to be. Total cost 7 buks and little bit of time! Thanks guys for reading this far down.. Now bash away that Im cheap hahahaha